Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 licences under €40

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Blinked_Missed It

Hi just to update everyone but when I tried to activate via windows it failed so called Microsoft on the freephone to activate and its now activated successfully. I asked MS if there was any problems with the key I had and they said no it was a perfectly valid licence. Hope it goes as well for others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Davexirl wrote: »
    A lad in work got a new laptop and it has windows 8 on it, he finds it hard to use. Could he buy this and then windows 7 would install on the laptop over Windows 8?

What version of Windows 8 is installed? I seem to remember reading somewhere that pre installed Windows 8 Professional could be downgraded to Windows 7 for free. I'll try and find the article.

Here you go. http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/pages/downgrade_rights.aspx#fbid=_LHSSV9xi07

I didn't read it through fully but if you don't have Professional you may get tips on how to downgrade others.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Farnsworth

Hi just to update everyone but when I tried to activate via windows it failed so called Microsoft on the freephone to activate and its now activated successfully. I asked MS if there was any problems with the key I had and they said no it was a perfectly valid licence. Hope it goes as well for others.

Thanks for the update, can you tell us what free number you rang MS for activation?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Any significant benefit of having Professional or Ultimate over Home Premium?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions#Comparison_chart

not really. if any of the options in professional/ultimate seem neccesary for you get them, but for most people.. no. home premium will do fine

• Advertisement

Farnsworth wrote: »
    Thanks for the update, can you tell us what free number you rang MS for activation?

Hi its actually part of Windows. In Windows go to Start, type slui.exe 4 and press enter and select your country. Irelands number is 1800 930031 or 014475390

• Registered Users Posts: 24 hu4rorZ

Hi guys,

Ordered this yesterday , how long does it take usually to get the key in email?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Remote desktop is something that I would miss in Home Premium. I know there are 3rd party alternatives but I like Remote Desktop...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Home P cant join a server domain, thats probably the main difference.
    Home/Home premium is meant for ......Home,
    Pro / Ultimate meant for joining to an office network. ie a Windows server domain.
    Not sure why this rarely gets mentioned - until someone brings in their home laptop expecting to be able to join it to the office domain and looks at you dumbfounded when you try to explain its not meant to.
    So if you are buying for a Windows server networked office then you need Pro or above (Same for W 8)

Ultimate is pretty much the same as Enterprise (different licensing - VL) and only a slight improvement on Pro. They come with the full complement including bitlocker, Virtual desktop infrastructure and some other bits few people would be bothered with.

So list of extras in Pro compared to Home P

Maximum physical CPUs supported 2.
    Back up to network with Backup and Restore Center
    Remote Desktop Host
    Dynamic Disks
    Encrypting File System
    Location Aware Printing
    Presentation Mode
    Group Policy
    Offline Files and Folder redirection
    Windows Server domain joining
    Windows XP Mode
    Software Restriction Policies
    Remote Administration Tools
    Active Directory Lightweight Directory Services (AD LDS, formerly Active Directory Application Mode or ADAM)
    AppLocker (Create policies, but cannot enforce)
    Virtual Hard Disk Booting

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Surely if this was legit they would have a Microsoft logo on the home page linking back to their site with details of the offer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Davexirl

bmaxi wrote: »
    What version of Windows 8 is installed? I seem to remember reading somewhere that pre installed Windows 8 Professional could be downgraded to Windows 7 for free. I'll try and find the article.

Here you go. http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/pages/downgrade_rights.aspx#fbid=_LHSSV9xi07

I didn't read it through fully but if you don't have Professional you may get tips on how to downgrade others.

Just seen your reply now, thanks very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

py2006 wrote: »
    Surely if this was legit they would have a Microsoft logo on the home page linking back to their site with details of the offer?

I guess its a company selling their windows platform media solutions and the windows license is a pesky requirement for their boxes. So they have stripped down the distribution to the bare minimum and maybe that's what makes it $50?

I haven't ordered myself yet, but I'm tempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Wheeker

Thinking of going for this also. I certainly can't find any W7 on eBay for €30-€40, though software4students does have an upgrade version of W7 Pro for €59.95. Still, this is €20 cheaper.

I understand that it is an OEM version, so as per the instructions you download W7 first onto a USB drive & then boot from this onto your machine to install. So is this a trial version of W7? Assassin then e-mail you the product key within 48 hours to activate it.

However, I have Vista on my machine already- can I just download W7 direct onto the C drive & install? What happens to the old Vista installation, is it overwritten? Can I still revert to Vista if this all turns out wrong (e.g. the product key being tied to US only or it becoming invalid in 6 months?).

Sorry if these are daft questions, just trying to work-out the potential drawbacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 msouden

I can verify - this worked like a charm for me a few weeks ago. They got backlogged sending out licenses but were great at updating me via email that they were working on it.

Right now the deal's not available while they work through the backlog (and my guess is restock).

Obviously - do like I did and don't just use the key on a different W7 install - download it and install.

Caveat: I only installed on a Virtual Machine - so didn't have to actually burn to media to install.

link: http://www.assassinhtpc.com/windows.php

I'm guessing they probably have a line on retired machines they're dismantling for parts and harvesting the license on. Nothing illegal about it - I don't think - but then I'm not about to go read all the deets on MS licenses either. I Just needed a win machine to use for web dev testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭capefear

http://www.assassinhtpc.com/windows.php

Windows 7 OEM

Home Premium $50
    Professional $60
    Ultimate $70

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Nice. I was waiting for this to come back. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 msouden

Yeah. I did this deal a few months back and it went flawlessly. Even got direct human replies back from what sounded like one of the principles there. He was working hard to get timely fulfillment on orders because he was making a mint doing this but it's obviously not their main gig.

Love the small success stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

Excellent that this is back, has anyone gone for the boxed CD approach?

Words cannot describe how good a bargain this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Can one use this to upgrade a PC from Vista to Windows 7? Dont want to loss all the applications on the current OS..

Thanks
    W.

Can one use this to upgrade a PC from Vista to Windows 7? Dont want to loss all the applications on the current OS..

Thanks
    W.

Most likely any application running on Vista will be fine once you upgrade the OS to 7 so yes but always backup your personal data 1st before doing any OS upgrade. It'll always be the one time it goes wrong when you don't.

You may have some apps you may have to re-download and re-enter licenses depending on your particular apps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I probably missed were it was said.

Can this be used for a clean install?

I need to get a new HD for my laptop and reinstall.
    thanks

I probably missed were it was said.

Can this be used for a clean install?

I need to get a new HD for my laptop and reinstall.
    thanks

I'm the OP on this and the keys are full Windows 7 OEM licences so they can be used to upgrade or do a clean fresh install. I used mine to do a clean install Win 7 via Bootcamp on my iMac.

Emailed them asking about shipping to Ireland for boxed versions and got back a reply saying yes they do ship to Ireland but to use their "counterparts" since they would be handling the international shipping:

http://jett-systems.com/windows.php

And to use the discount code "SAVE40" to get it the same price as on assassinhtpc.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Sneachta

Emailed them asking about shipping to Ireland for boxed versions and got back a reply saying yes they do ship to Ireland but to use their "counterparts" since they would be handling the international shipping:

http://jett-systems.com/windows.php

And to use the discount code "SAVE40" to get it the same price as on assassinhtpc.

Seems to be coming up as $20.00

Sneachta wrote: »
    Seems to be coming up as $20.00

I think that's just the dvd. You'd have to buy the license and the dvd to have a working copy of windows.

I've not actually tried doing it that way, just passing along the information assassinhtpc sent to me by email about my query getting a boxed version shipping to Ireland.

I went the usb route myself, a friend however was looking for a boxed version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I think that's just the dvd. You'd have to buy the license and the dvd to have a working copy of windows.

I've not actually tried doing it that way, just passing along the information assassinhtpc sent to me by email about my query getting a boxed version shipping to Ireland.

I went the usb route myself, a friend however was looking for a boxed version.

130 for Win PRo
    20 for DVD

discount brings it to 90$

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Official downloads from Digital River

( i had no dvd drive and optical media is the work of the dark one - always somewhere else/cat has been playing with it when you need it most )

http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-24395.iso 64bit Ultimate

http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-24394.iso 32bit Ultimate

It will give you about 15 days to buy a licence key for it - this is great, gives you a chance to try it out properly and just get on with it

If you only have limited download ( 3G / wireless ) etc :

You can mount the .iso you downloaded above and delete the ei.cfg file, this will make it a "universal disc" and it will just ask what version you want to install

I presume they make separate .isos to help stop whiny gits installing the wrong version and then complaining that it won't activate and and and

This just removes the ei.cfg for you :
    http://code.kliu.org/misc/winisoutils/

In case you have to go to an internet cafe etc for a bit of bandwidth - may as well make use of it :

free stuff from same stable :

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36179
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36180

60 day trial of Office 2013

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/jj192782

• Registered Users Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭flutered

i downloaded windows media player, two days later i got a licence key for it, i then downloaded windows 8, i used the key from the media player, bingo i had a licenced copy of windows 8 for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

ordered with DVD as I ahve a very slow broadband.
    Will update when it/if it arrives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Ordered on Sunday, received email yesterday, verified today.

Been a while since I've had a valid licence.

Advertisement