Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 licences under €40

Options
  • 14-03-2013 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭

Just thought I'd post this up for those in need of a decent operating system. Since the Windows 8 upgrade offer is gone this seems like great value and many don't seem to fancy Win 8 anyway.

About €38 for a full licence not just an upgrade. Haven't seen it cheaper lately (apart from dodgy ebay sellers) and on amazon its about €75.

http://www.assassinhtpc.com/windows.php

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Just thought I'd post this up for those in need of a decent operating system. Since the Windows 8 upgrade offer is gone this seems like great value and many don't seem to fancy Win 8 anyway.

About €38 for a full licence not just an upgrade. Haven't seen it cheaper lately (apart from dodgy ebay sellers) and on amazon its about €75.

http://www.assassinhtpc.com/windows.php

Good spot thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

And with the amount of people opting for Windows 7, over 8, this can come in handy.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

Anyone purchased yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭podge3

Edit: Seeing as a mod has removed other posts of mine in this thread without informing me why, I'll remove this myself. Obviously its still visible further down in a quote.

I'm kinda disappointed with the mods here I must say. A display of rudeness by another poster towards me has been left alone, while my reply to the attack was removed.

But heyho, its only the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Blinked_Missed It

podge3 wrote: »
    Don't understand all the hate for Win8 :confused:. If you don't like the new Metro GUI, just ignore it and download a Start button app. Simples.

Win8 upgrade used to be €15. IMHO, Win7 for €40ish isn't a bargain.

Ok a couple of points.
    1) This isn't a windows 8 v 7 forum question, its a bargain alert. Gonna ask the mods to step in if it goes that way as its pita listening to that crap. If you want 8 get 8 (I did previously & I'm typing on it now). This is for 7 for those that want 7 and many business types are not in a position to install 8 due to admins not permitting it. Thats just 1 non-8-hate reason.
    2) "Win 8 upgrade used to be 15". Nail on the head, used to be. It isn't now and we live in now. I'd love to get another Win 8 upgrade for 15 but I can't
    3) If you can find 7 cheaper please post it for everyone to save some money most of us don't have much of. Otherwise I think this is a bargain alert personally at 38.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭coroner29

podge3 wrote: »
    Don't understand all the hate for Win8 :confused:. If you don't like the new Metro GUI, just ignore it and download a Start button app. Simples.

Win8 upgrade used to be €15. IMHO, Win7 for €40ish isn't a bargain.

Ok, this is a full version of Win 7 for €38 and not a Win 7 upgrade. So it cannot be really compared to Win 8 Upgrade (especially when it is expired now).
    If you find a full version of Win 8 for less than €38, please let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭podge3

coroner29 wrote: »
    Ok, this is a full version of Win 7 for €38 and not a Win 7 upgrade. So it cannot be really compared to Win 8 Upgrade (especially when it is expired now).
    If you find a full version of Win 8 for less than €38, please let us know.
    While the €15 offer was for an upgrade, it could also be used for a fresh install.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

It's a good bargain. End of.

Not everyone can upgrade, I have a mac but I need to run some Windows only software (and wine gives me a headache...) so an "upgrade" isn't much good to me.

This is about posting bargains, not debating the finer points of an OS. I couldn't find Windows 7 anywhere for less than double this, ergo it's a bargain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Windows 8 isn't Windows 7 and you can't get it for 15 anymore so its kinda pointless.

Anyone purchased yet?

I got my key yesterday but like an idiot downloaded and burned Win 7 Pro N instead and the key isn't valid for that SKU. Downloading the right version & burning now. Will report back when its installed so others can see if its legit or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Just so people know, this is an OEM version and not retail. Once you activate windows it will be tied to that computer only and you'll need to buy another if you want to install Windows on another computer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

how does that work for hardware upgrades? if I throw in a new gpu/cpu/mr fusion i won't need a new license, will I?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

how does that work for hardware upgrades? if I throw in a new gpu/cpu/mr fusion i won't need a new license, will I?

I think you should be fine, it's more the Hard Drive that it locks to (possibly the motherboard). If you read more online it will explain a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

If I download win 7 and buy the licence key, is there an expiry date on the licence key. Wanted to buy a larger hdd before I install

If I download win 7 and buy the licence key, is there an expiry date on the licence key. Wanted to buy a larger hdd before I install

No expiry. Use it when your ready to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Just so people know, this is an OEM version and not retail. Once you activate windows it will be tied to that computer only and you'll need to buy another if you want to install Windows on another computer.
    Got caught that way with Windows 8. Downloaded to one computer then cloned it to the HDD of another by way of an external caddy. It wasn't having any of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

So what happens if the HDD dies, thats the end of it?? I assume one cant restore a backup onto a new HDD?

W.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

So what happens if the HDD dies, thats the end of it?? I assume one cant restore a backup onto a new HDD?

W.

Create a restore image. I'd imagine that'd work no?

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

I use WHS to create backups of clients..?? Though havent had to do any restores to date!!

W.

I don't think its got anything to do with the HD, Its the motherboard. Even then a certain amount of hardware changes will prompt for reactivation. Then you ring Microsoft and get a new activation code.

I can't find the direct link on the Microsoft site but I think this is it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Farnsworth

I got my key yesterday but like an idiot downloaded and burned Win 7 Pro N instead and the key isn't valid for that SKU. Downloading the right version & burning now. Will report back when its installed so others can see if its legit or not.

Please update how did installation go?

I doubt because this is almost half price, this may be tied with HTPC hardware they are selling & will work only with seller PCs just like DELL & HP OEMs

did they email you the key?

is it ok to use this without COA?

BostonB wrote: »
    I don't think its got anything to do with the HD, Its the motherboard. Even then a certain amount of hardware changes will prompt for reactivation. Then you ring Microsoft and get a new activation code.

I can't find the direct link on the Microsoft site but I think this is it.

Yes, I think it's the motherboard. As far as I can see, you can install it on as many HDDs as you like but you can't use them on any other computer. The question should be, what happens if the motherboard dies?

bmaxi wrote: »
    Yes, I think it's the motherboard. As far as I can see, you can install it on as many HDDs as you like but you can't use them on any other computer. The question should be, what happens if the motherboard dies?

From what I read you need the same motherboard as a replacement. Though reading across the web people are saying if they contact MS they had no problems getting a new activation key. I assume because they have all the original details that it was registered with .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭long_b

Is this kosher ?
    Or just someone knocking out cheap keys which may or may not stop working in a few months ?

BostonB wrote: »
    From what I read you need the same motherboard as a replacement. Though reading across the web people are saying if they contact MS they had no problems getting a new activation key. I assume because they have all the original details that it was registered with .

Actually, I was thinking if the MB dies in a computer that's not worth replacing, which, in my case, it isn't. Can't cater for all eventualities I suppose.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Farnsworth wrote: »

I doubt because this is almost half price, this may be tied with HTPC hardware they are selling & will work only with seller PCs just like DELL & HP OEMs

Have not tried the above seller but when I got a cheap code before it turned out to be an Asian code which was real but not allowed (i.e. it got declared invalid to be used in Europe even if it was a legit license key). This only showed up after a bit over 6 months as well so all I can say is be careful with cheap Windows codes in general.

Its a good price but nothing new, you've always been able to get OEM Win7 copies for €35-40 on ebay.

Typically the cheapest ones are sold by German sellers, so you discard the German OEM disc, grab an English language image and use your valid key. Effectively you're just paying for a legit licence key, same as what you're getting here.

Farnsworth wrote: »

Hi apologies to all for the delay. I'm trying to Bootcamp this and I've run into all sorts of trouble burning the windows image (nothing to do with the seller). Just Mac being cack. Finally getting a version burned as we speak so will shout back the second I can say good or bad.

They sent me a photo of the key (the COA) via email and offered to send on the physical key via post. I also rang the number on their website to see if they exist and they are a real company at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

There's no problem with that. We have an iMac running W7 via Parallels and the hard drive had to be swapped out. Just rang Microsoft and they reactivated it. Ver nice to deal with actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Davexirl

A lad in work got a new laptop and it has windows 8 on it, he finds it hard to use. Could he buy this and then windows 7 would install on the laptop over Windows 8?

Advertisement