Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold week ahead, change is on the way ............

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Or in the case of a digital clock once a day!

A digital clock wouldn't show anything.....:pac:

And that quote in the Sun is from today, pretty much now casting.

I'm not sure he's ever predicted anything correctly, I bet someone will prove me wrong though, couldn't be ar$ed looking tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

From an Imby perspective tomorrow afternoon and evening is an outside bet for fun and games down south. Gfs and UKmo show precipitation making it to the sw. gfs says it will be rain but UKmo is of course silent. nao says no precipitation at all. alas all models agree any precipitation will push up against -8 / -9 uppers. thickness at 530 or so isn't great but you'd never know....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Cogsy88

Sky gone black here yet nothing showin on the radar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Is everyone posting the same attachment or is there some thing wrong with mobile boards? Looks wierd

Edit: Definitely mobile boards. Not showing on main version and the attachment showed on mine too Rolf

Mine has arrived and set up!!! Sweet set for the price. Anyone any idea how to set up the sandy soft software?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

Mine has arrived and set up!!! Sweet set for the price. Anyone any idea how to set up the sandy soft software?

where did you get it? have u a link?

Got mine the other day too, assembled it and downloaded the SW, haven't got around to setting it up yet, need to find and 25 ft pole to put the instruments on first otherwise the readings wil be pants

My readings will be pants anyways-I've resigned myself to that but I'll be interested to compare even just for my locality. I'm in a rental so only option was attaching to the top of the shed-I'm pretty sure both my landlord and the neighbours would tell me where to get off if I put up a 25 foot pole :)

Software working now, usb issue on the computer at first that a reboot fixed. Very easy to set up on cumulus, pick the station and it pretty much goes from there.

Whoops sorry mods I meant this to be in the other thread, didn't realise I was hijacking! Please move them if its better

• Advertisement

My readings will be pants anyways-I've resigned myself to that but I'll be interested to compare even just for my locality. I'm in a rental so only option was attaching to the top of the shed-I'm pretty sure both my landlord and the neighbours would tell me where to get off if I put up a 25 foot pole :)

Software working now, usb issue on the computer at first that a reboot fixed. Very easy to set up on cumulus, pick the station and it pretty much goes from there.

Good to know I might just try set it up in a temporary position for now, sure what else would I be doing on the Thursday before Good Friday besides having a few beers and looking at my weather readings:-)

Whoops sorry mods I meant this to be in the other thread, didn't realise I was hijacking! Please move them if its better

Same I though I was posting in the weather station forum, the new touch boards :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

This evening in Dublin is quite pleasant - cold but not biting. Dry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Irelands worst weather is on at 8.30 tv3 for anyone interested

It concentrated more on sob stories than actual weather. They also think cold winters will become less and less common. I heard the head of the met office on bbc news earlier in the week saying extremes of cold and heat will increase so who knows. IMO I agree more with the met office

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

This evening in Dublin is quite pleasant - cold but not biting. Dry.

Maybe thats why water is being restricted so you poor sods :pac:

Was listening to RTE Radio 1 yesterday at around 6pm and the subject being discussed was climate change. One of the contributors said "Well, I don't think that climate change is happening can be denied, I mean, look outside. It's nearly April and it's snowing". :confused: Now I'm no climate change denier (I think it will just take many, many years of study for a picture to emerge), I just thought that statement was odd. Snow in March isn't THAT unusual, and the month is known for being hugely changeable. That there's snow is hardly a smoking gun. I have photos of me and my siblings playing in lying snow (depth probably ~6cm) in April 1990. (not particularly high ground either) When my sister was born in an early 1980s mid-May, there was a dusting of snow on the ground. Weather isn't climate!

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

Weathering wrote: »
    Irelands worst weather is on at 8.30 tv3 for anyone interested

Only have to step outside to see that. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭mumo3

Was listening to RTE Radio 1 yesterday at around 6pm and the subject being discussed was climate change. One of the contributors said "Well, I don't think that climate change is happening can be denied, I mean, look outside. It's nearly April and it's snowing". :confused: Now I'm no climate change denier (I think it will just take many, many years of study for a picture to emerge), I just thought that statement was odd. Snow in March isn't THAT unusual, and the month is known for being hugely changeable. That there's snow is hardly a smoking gun. I have photos of me and my siblings playing in lying snow (depth probably ~6cm) in April 1990. (not particularly high ground either) When my sister was born in an early 1980s mid-May, there was a dusting of snow on the ground. Weather isn't climate!

sure the one show one BBC1 where showing footage from lying snow in the 70's in June :eek: now imagine this board if that where to happen:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Agreed. I think that the main problem is that people's weather memory is rather short. Every time there is an unusual weather event the media as well as common people shout out climate change etc etc but the truth is that we've seen this before. Would wonder what people would say if we got another start of April like 1917, snow drifts metres high and inaccessible towns for days. Thing is climate change exists, climate is dynamic and is always changing... I would be far more worried if we got exactly the same weather every year forever :D

• Advertisement

peoples chatter about snow always reminds me of a story my mam told me about when I was little .. major snow in the early 80's after about two days the neighbour knocked in to check on my mam (given she had a young family) he was going to the local barracks to collect water with some of the other neighbours ... My mam just looked on shocked... poor neighbours had been getting water from the army while she was bathing four kids in warm baths ... she was the only house that from some reason the water supply hadnt been effected... she had no idea what the rest of them where going through:o

patneve2 wrote: »
    Agreed. I think that the main problem is that people's weather memory is rather short. Every time there is an unusual weather event the media as well as common people shout out climate change etc etc but the truth is that we've seen this before. Would wonder what people would say if we got another start of April like 1917, snow drifts metres high and inaccessible towns for days. Thing is climate change exists, climate is dynamic and is always changing... I would be far more worried if we got exactly the same weather every year forever :D

Yeah I completely agree with what you're saying. In fairness to the show tonight it's point was how frequent extremes have been happening since 2009 with the floods in the west in south west,John Eagelton said it was a one in 300-400 year event,then weeks later the snow came which was the coldest winter for almost 50years. Then we all know how bad the following december to quote met.ie "We would characterise December 2010 as the most extreme cold spell in terms of
    the “depth of cold” but the cold spell of 1963 was significantly longer." link http://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/weather-events/ColdSpell10.pdf

That's a lot of crazy weather for Ireland in a short period of time. With this March shaping up to be the coldest in 50years and lasts years March I think was the warmest for around 50plus years too.

I know weather isn't climate but all weather adds up to climate in time,so it will be interesting to see if the events of the last few years are only a flash in the pan or the start of shift in Ireland's climate. Time will tell

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭tteknulp

Talking about climate , the wet weather we should have this march is deflecting towards portugal , spain , france because of the strong scandanavian high , see it on the european weather forum for this w/e its unatural look out to coast off west of ireland , see where it ends up ,its mad .

Yeah I completely agree with what you're saying. In fairness to the show tonight it's point was how frequent extremes have been happening since 2009 with the floods in the west in south west,John Eagelton said it was a one in 300-400 year event,then weeks later the snow came which was the coldest winter for almost 50years. Then we all know how bad the following december to quote met.ie "We would characterise December 2010 as the most extreme cold spell in terms of
    the “depth of cold” but the cold spell of 1963 was significantly longer." link http://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/weather-events/ColdSpell10.pdf

That's a lot of crazy weather for Ireland in a short period of time. With this March shaping up to be the coldest in 50years and lasts years March I think was the warmest for around 50plus years too.

I know weather isn't climate but all weather adds up to climate in time,so it will be interesting to see if the events of the last few years are only a flash in the pan or the start of shift in Ireland's climate. Time will tell

We live in Ireland, we'll always have weather, one extreme or the other, caught between the Atlantic and the European mainland makes our weather a joy to forecast, that's why us weather freaks spend hours a day on here debating the outcome of marginal forecasts, sure where else would yeh get it but Ireland and that's what makes our weather so special.

Yeah, it was more that the contributor (on the radio show I mentioned) said "There's snow outside - CLIMATE CHANGE!" without going into any further details. He really did just leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

That's a lot of crazy weather for Ireland in a short period of time.

Crazy temps yep (though only crazy in relation to time of year rather than actually being so) but crazy weather I would disagree with. If anything, extremes of weather (wnd/rain/snow/thunderstorm events etc) are becoming far less extreme IMO. I don't think I have ever witnessed such a continunial run of insipidity as I have over the last few years.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Yeah, it was more that the contributor (on the radio show I mentioned) said "There's snow outside - CLIMATE CHANGE!" without going into any further details. He really did just leave it at that.

If he had seen snow in May he would have had a heart attack. May 97' I was laying blocks for a new factory the snow showers were that heavy we a had to go for shelter.

May 6th
    Rrea00119970506.gif

May 7th

Rrea00119970507.gif

So as stupid as this may seem to some .... is that it for the snow?:o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

how is it for the next 2 days the south east is the only area in ireland where it's going to rain according to met eireann?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

hotwhiskey wrote: »
    If he had seen snow in May he would have had a heart attack. May 97' I was laying blocks for a new factory the snow showers were that heavy we a had to go for shelter.

May 6th
    Rrea00119970506.gif

May 7th

Rrea00119970507.gif
    I think i remember this! Playing football in the warm sun but snowflakes falling, i think at the time i was fobbed off. I was only a youngin'!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement