Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Papal Conclave - Place Your Bets!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Self-praise is no praise, but still, good old anti-Catholic RTE, eh?

I'm not sure what's more depressing - that he's trying to use that to win votes or that it actually seems to be working.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Sarky wrote: »
    Also, this thread makes for fascinating reading. Especially the end part.

Agreed. Although this line made me laugh my cola through my nose

"I have always brought a sense of humour to Boards and had quite a large following of subscribers to my threads (Including the Press) which no doubt will be missed."

Anyways, a case of same old same old with the new pontiff. Tbf, did anyone really expect anything different?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Mahony still doesn't get it:

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013/03/13/cardinal-mahony-talks-exclusively-to-cbs2-about-choosing-the-new-pope/
    Mr Mahony wrote:
    “Much of the criticism comes from ignorance of not knowing what has happened. And the extraordinary efforts we have taken, we have passed every compliance audit with flying colors. And I dare, find somebody who can tell me what have we not done yet, please let me know…we’ll do it.”

And Jorge Videla, the former Argentinian dictator, says that he kept the church up to date on who the Army "disappeared" when the church had assured the dictatorship that the family wouldn't become difficult after learning of the death of a family member:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/former-argentinian-dictator-says-he-told-catholic-church-of-disappeared-1.542154
    He said that in certain cases church authorities offered their “good offices” and undertook to inform families looking for “disappeared” relatives to desist from their searches, but only if they were certain the families would not use the information to denounce the junta.

“In the case of families that it was certain would not make political use of the information, they told them not to look any more for their child because he was dead,” said Videla. He said the church “understood well . . . and also assumed the risks” of such involvement.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone (Italy)
    One for the ladies...

http://rabble.ie/2013/03/14/women-know-your-place/
    “Women are naturally unsuitable for political tasks. Natural order and the facts teach us that man is a politician par excellence, the Scriptures show us that women always support the thinking and creative man, but nothing more than that “
    No actual reference, but would anyone actually be surprised?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Dades wrote: »
    One for the ladies...

http://rabble.ie/2013/03/14/women-know-your-place/

No actual reference, but would anyone actually be surprised?

Given the spats he had with Argentina's female president I wouldn't be surprised either, but we need a reference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

John Waters (Craggier Island)
    Jernal wrote: »
    Given the spats he had with Argentina's female president I wouldn't be surprised either, but we need a reference.

...somebody who spoke it might search in Spanish.....

Nodin wrote: »
    ...somebody who spoke it might search in Spanish.....

Well obviously I don't speak Spanish. :p

Well obviously I don't speak Spanish. :p

No, no. T'wasn't directed at thee. We're bound to have some cunning linguist amongst the godless.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Cardinal Marc Ouellet (Canada)
    I'll just go make some tea and sandwiches.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I'll just go make some tea and sandwiches.

Fair play to ye. No sugar in mine and feck all milk.

• Advertisement

We're bound to have some cunning linguist amongst the godless.

Oh my immaturity. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

http://www.worldcrunch.com/dossier-the-next-pope/around-the-world-reactions-to-the-arrival-of-pope-francis/pope-francis-i-bergoglio-argentina-vatican/c8s11195/#.UUIE6ap2NTM

Costa Rican daily El Pais reports that María Eugenia Venegas, member of the Chamber of Deputies of Costa Rica was not celebrating Bergoglio’s Papacy. She explained that she couldn’t congratulate the leader of a Church that does not bring opportunities for women to participate equally within the institution. According to the daily, in 2007 upon Cristina Kirchner’s election, Bergoglio was said to have commented that “women are naturally inept to take political posts. The natural order and facts of history show us that man is the political being by excellency; the Scriptures demonstrate that women have always been a support to the thinking and doing man, but not more than that.”

Can't find anything except this woman Maria Venegas saying it so far.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

Following on from the RTE perpetual Popefest, Fianna Fáil want to reopen the Vatican Embassy.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0314/376669-vatican-embassy/
    With the swing back to FF, and the Catholic Church reasserting itself in everyone's business, this atheist will be keeping a bag packed.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

This extraordinary claim that the new Pope colluded in the concealment of political prisoners:
    Knasher wrote: »
    http://consortiumnews.com/2013/03/13/dirty-war-questions-for-pope-francis/

I'm hoping he goes with the Father Ted defence, and claims those political prisoners were only resting on his island.
    ... turns out not to be true. It was taken from a 2011 Guardian story that incorrectly attributed the claim to another journalist, and has now been retracted (link).

Obliq wrote: »
    http://www.worldcrunch.com/dossier-the-next-pope/around-the-world-reactions-to-the-arrival-of-pope-francis/pope-francis-i-bergoglio-argentina-vatican/c8s11195/#.UUIE6ap2NTM

Costa Rican daily El Pais reports that María Eugenia Venegas, member of the Chamber of Deputies of Costa Rica was not celebrating Bergoglio’s Papacy. She explained that she couldn’t congratulate the leader of a Church that does not bring opportunities for women to participate equally within the institution. According to the daily, in 2007 upon Cristina Kirchner’s election, Bergoglio was said to have commented that “women are naturally inept to take political posts. The natural order and facts of history show us that man is the political being by excellency; the Scriptures demonstrate that women have always been a support to the thinking and doing man, but not more than that.”

Can't find anything except this woman Maria Venegas saying it so far.....

Neither the English version above nor the original Spanish article actually says that she furnished the quote either. It's said in fact to be from a cable attributed to the Argentinian state news agency on alleged quotes from Bergoglio. This cable has apparently been circulating on the internet since today. (link).

One's enemy's enemy isn't always reliable - best to check their sources

Yeah, I noticed a minute ago that I had made the assumption that she had said it. Then went looking for proof and didn't find any yet. Ta :P
    Haven't found anything at all from 2007 that sounds remotely like Bergoglio said anything of the sort.....

If this sexist quote isn't true, then let's hope it doesn't become mainstream because it just plays into the whole "persecution of catholics" hand.

If this sexist quote isn't true, then let's hope it doesn't become mainstream because it just plays into the whole "persecution of catholics" hand.

Exactly why I want proof before I call "foul!"

Fair play to ye. No sugar in mine and feck all milk.

Oops sorry. I got distracted by something pink and the dog drank your tea.
    *giggle*

Exactly why I want proof before I call "foul!"

We still have the homophobic quotes - no disputing those.

We still have the homophobic quotes - no disputing those.

Ooh yes, there's no shortage of his spewing forth on gay marriage, etc.

Have to admit to HOPING he'd manage to get the backs up of half the world's population with the sexist quotes....seemingly he's JUST a delusional anti love/ anti family/ anti choicer though.

• Advertisement

Oops sorry. I got distracted by something pink and the dog drank your tea.
    *giggle*

*shakes paternalistic fist

*shakes paternalistic fist

*flutters eyelashes and flashes cleavage*

Ooh yes, there's no shortage of his spewing forth on gay marriage, etc.

Have to admit to HOPING he'd manage to get the backs up of half the world's population with the sexist quotes....seemingly he's JUST a delusional anti love/ anti family/ anti choicer though.

It's a shame, really. The last two have been quietly patronising sexist Popes....I was hoping for a bit of full-on mysogynistic Poping hilarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,030 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Oh no. That's enough to send shivers down my spine tbh. I reckon there's very few scarier than someone who has STUDIED science and then rejected science to the extent that they are now a Jesuit pope.

Chemistry has been described as not real science, just electrons having sex :pac: *

* half my degree was in chemistry so I should probably shut up now.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,030 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

*flutters eyelashes and flashes cleavage*

O_o

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

ninja900 wrote: »
    Chemistry has been described as not real science, just electrons having sex :pac: *

* half my degree was in chemistry so I should probably shut up now.

Biology is the bastard offspring of chemistry which is the bastard offspring of physics, the one true science!

All hail mighty physics!

250px-Operation_Upshot-Knothole_-_Badger_001.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Gbear wrote: »
    Biology is the bastard offspring of chemistry which is the bastard offspring of physics, the one true science!

All hail mighty physics!
    *Ahem*

Maths would like a word outside if you please....
    purity.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Did you fail to read this?
    He recounts how the Argentine navy with the connivance of Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio, now the Jesuit archbishop of Buenos Aires, hid from a visiting delegation of the Inter-American Human Rights Commission the dictatorship’s political prisoners. Bergoglio was hiding them in nothing less than his holiday home in an island called El Silencio in the River Plate.

It was in the post just above yours...

Hiding political prisoners from a Human Rights Commission on behalf of a Right-wing junta during a period when an estimated 30,000 people 'disappeared' is a bit more than 'giving communion.'

I cannot find that sentence in the article posted. On further investigation it looks like its been edited due to it being inaccurate.
    (Updated March 14, 2013, to delete incorrect reference to Bergoglio in Guardian article)

Hmmmmm

I'm still selling pitchforks anyhow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Reading the rest of the thread I see the position has been clarified regarding this claim.

From the Guardian.
    • This article was amended on 14 March 2013. The original article, published in 2011, wrongly suggested that Argentinian journalist Horacio Verbitsky claimed that Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio connived with the Argentinian navy to hide political prisoners on an island called El Silencio during an inspection by human rights monitors. Although Verbitsky makes other allegations about Bergoglio's complicity in human rights abuses, he does not make this claim. The original article also wrongly described El Silencio as Bergoglio's "holiday home". This has been corrected

Amazing how a claim can spread like wild fire across the internet and become 'the truth' where well minded, educated and intelligent people don't question it.
    Many reputable websites still carry this claim and people will still take it as fact in due course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,108 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I think this does illustrate how readily we turn off our bull**** dectectors when we read something that we find congenial. Bergoglio is noted for the comparative simplicity of his life - he rejects the archbishop’s palace in favour of a small apartment heated by a single oil-heater, he cooks his own meals, he takes the bus instead of a chauffeur driven-car, etc. We’ve heard about this ad nauseam since his election. But to take this story seriously you have to accept that, before he became archbishop, he kept a holiday home on an island in the River Plate - a home large enough, moreover, to function as a prison; to accommodate a bunch of political prisoners and their guards.

I mean, it’s not impossible that that would be the case. But the suggestion should raise your sceptical faculties to alert status - unless you’ve turned them off.

Advertisement