Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Papal Conclave - Place Your Bets!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Dana (Norn Iron)
    Dades wrote: »
    Pope Trivia: Apparantly he only has one lung. :pac:

Apparently he also has four ears, two for listening and two "are sort of back-up ears". Some might be on the inside of its head- and its yawn sounds like Liam Neeson chasing a load of hens around inside a barrel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Cardinal Atari Jaguar (Yore Ma)
    And instead of a face, he has four arses?

Also, this thread makes for fascinating reading. Especially the end part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭keelanj69

Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone (Italy)
    Sarky wrote: »

Head over to CTs. The battle rages on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone (Italy)
    Sarky wrote: »
    Gordon's response is superb....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Cardinal Marc Ouellet (Canada)
    Corkfeen wrote: »
    Gordon's response is superb....

It is.

Respect to Gordon (even if it nearly cost me a laptop as I was sipping coffee when I read it.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭achtungbarry

Dana (Norn Iron)
    28ugs3d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Cardinal Sean O'Malley (United States)
    BFRJZ0KCEAAYnVO.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

With predicting who's going to be pope based off some CT ****e it's not like some 2nd coming of christ wankology that you can spoof your way out of using "interpretation".

I wonder how the poster in question is able to reconcile that.

No amount of mental gymnastics would be able to cope with such an obvious fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,382 ✭✭✭✭Penn

28ugs3d.jpg

Man, with Ratzinger all I could see was The Emperor from Star Wars.

Looking at him, all I can see is the Demon Headmaster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Cardinal Peter Turkson (Ghana)
    Pope Fact: He has a masters in chemistry! It was over 50 years ago however and I doubt he's practiced much and kept up to date on current literature.

Still being scientifically literate can't but help, hopefully no more condoms give you aids statements!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

So what odds was Frankie at to get the gig?

I think Mr Power may have recouped some of his Cheltenham losses here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

If there's anyone who can shelter a German from being prosecuted for human rights violations, it's someone from Argentina. :pac:

Saw this on Twitter, and roffled heartily:

244901.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

John Waters (Craggier Island)
    sink wrote: »
    Pope Fact: He has a masters in chemistry! It was over 50 years ago however and I doubt he's practiced much and kept up to date on current literature.

Still being scientifically literate can't but help, hopefully no more condoms give you aids statements!

Oh no. That's enough to send shivers down my spine tbh. I reckon there's very few scarier than someone who has STUDIED science and then rejected science to the extent that they are now a Jesuit pope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Credit where it's due: the Catholic Church has been bold enough to launch a new IP instead of just relying on sequels. Ok, JPII is up there with The Empire Strikes Back and The Godfather Part II in being considered better than the original, but that Benedict franchise had gone pretty stale after 16 of them. And John?! Talk about milking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Kinski wrote: »
    Credit where it's due: the Catholic Church has been bold enough to launch a new IP instead of just relying on sequels. Ok, JPII is up there with The Empire Strikes Back and The Godfather Part II in being considered better than the original, but that Benedict franchise had gone pretty stale after 16 of them. And John?! Talk about milking it.

If only they would stop picking the same old tired looking actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

The Catholic church was complicit in dreadful crimes in Argentina.

"God anticipates us again and again in unexpected ways," the pope said. "He does not cease to search for us, to raise us up as often as we might need. He does not abandon the lost sheep in the wilderness into which it had strayed. God does not allow himself to be confounded by our sin. Again and again he begins afresh with us".

If these words comforted and encouraged me they will surely have done the same for leaders of the church in Argentina, among many others. To the judicious and fair-minded outsider it has been clear for years that the upper reaches of the Argentinian church contained many "lost sheep in the wilderness", men who had communed and supported the unspeakably brutal western-supported military dictatorship that seized power in that country in 1976 and battened on it for years. Not only did the generals slaughter thousands unjustly, often dropping them out of aeroplanes over the River Plate and selling off their orphan children to the highest bidder, they also murdered at least two bishops and many priests. Yet even the execution of other men of the cloth did nothing to shake the support of senior clerics, including representatives of the Holy See, for the criminality of their leader General Jorge Rafael Videla and his minions.

But happily Their Eminences have just been given another chance to express contrition. Next month the convicted murderer Videla will be arraigned for his part in the killing of Enrique Angelelli, bishop of the Andean diocese of La Rioja and a supporter of the cause of poorer Argentinians. He was run off the highway by a hit squad of the Videla régime and killed on 4th August 1976 shortly after Videla's putsch.

Here's Bergoglio giving communion to Videla.

BFQtgMpCQAAM-B5.jpg

OoAGweg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,243 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Obliq wrote: »
    Oh no. That's enough to send shivers down my spine tbh. I reckon there's very few scarier than someone who has STUDIED science and then rejected science to the extent that they are now a Jesuit pope.
    Not quite a scary, perhaps, as someone who has studied science and then rejected science to the extent that they now embrace a concept of "science", such that they think a Jesuit pope must necessarily have rejected science.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Dana (Norn Iron)
    The Catholic church was complicit in dreadful crimes in Argentina.

Here's Bergoglio giving communion to Videla.

BFQtgMpCQAAM-B5.jpg

OoAGweg.jpg
    *awaits "out of context" claims*

*awaits "out of context" claims*

Or *it was compulsory and he was just a child*

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

Maybe someone will get to ask him about his time under the Junta on Saturday, when he's apparently doing a press conference (link). I don't think Benedict ever went before the media, so this could be an interesting - and welcome - change.

A move on from red shoes and bling, and more focus on inequality and materialism and less on sex, and he might turn out to be a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

John Waters (Craggier Island)
    Peregrinus wrote: »
    Not quite a scary, perhaps, as someone who has studied science and then rejected science to the extent that they now embrace a concept of "science", such that they think a Jesuit pope must necessarily have rejected science.

Meow ;) Do you think it's possible to believe one is infallible at the same time as questioning everything? Perhaps we could ask a Jesuit.........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Cardinal Sean O'Malley (United States)
    http://consortiumnews.com/2013/03/13/dirty-war-questions-for-pope-francis/
    He recounts how the Argentine navy with the connivance of Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio, now the Jesuit archbishop of Buenos Aires, hid from a visiting delegation of the Inter-American Human Rights Commission the dictatorship’s political prisoners. Bergoglio was hiding them in nothing less than his holiday home in an island called El Silencio in the River Plate.

I'm hoping he goes with the Father Ted defence, and claims those political prisoners were only resting on his island.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Or *it was compulsory and he was just a child*

He gave communion!!! :eek: String him up! I'm selling pitchforks if anyone is interested.

jank wrote: »
    He gave communion!!! :eek: String him up! I'm selling pitchforks if anyone is interested.

Did you fail to read this?
    He recounts how the Argentine navy with the connivance of Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio, now the Jesuit archbishop of Buenos Aires, hid from a visiting delegation of the Inter-American Human Rights Commission the dictatorship’s political prisoners. Bergoglio was hiding them in nothing less than his holiday home in an island called El Silencio in the River Plate.

It was in the post just above yours...

Hiding political prisoners from a Human Rights Commission on behalf of a Right-wing junta during a period when an estimated 30,000 people 'disappeared' is a bit more than 'giving communion.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Hiding political prisoners from a Human Rights Commission on behalf of a Right-wing junta during a period when an estimated 30,000 people 'disappeared' is a bit more than 'giving communion.'

Although, given the symbolism of communion among catholics, personally giving it to a right-wing dictator and mass murderer is a pretty strong, if implicit, sign of support.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,382 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Although, given the symbolism of communion among catholics, personally giving it to a right-wing dictator and mass murderer is a pretty strong, if implicit, sign of support.

Agreed, considering the fact that my granduncle who was a priest refused to give communion to anyone living in sin, including my sister and her boyfriend at a family mass.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,341 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Self-praise is no praise, but still, good old anti-Catholic RTE, eh?
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0314/376669-vatican-embassy/
    There have been calls for the reopening of Ireland's embassy to the Vatican, to mark the election of a new pope.

Fianna Fáil leader Micheál Martin congratulated the new pontiff, and praised RTÉ's coverage of the election, saying it reflected a deep interest among Irish people.

Advertisement