Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What makes someone a failure at life?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Terry1985 wrote: »
    Not paying your way in life.
    Expecting others to carry you, on the dole and not looking for work.

The education system and in general adulthood is supposed to turn you into
    a decent contributing member of society.

Let me get this straight, being on the dole means you're a failure? Ergo you're not a decent member of society?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

old hippy wrote: »
    Let me get this straight, being on the dole means you're a failure? Ergo you're not a decent member of society?

in fairness he did say 'and not looking for work'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

When your daughter walks the streets your son sweeps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

Someone who reaches the age of forty and still lives hand to mouth/pay cheque to pay cheque and worries about paying bills etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

Someone who knows how to fix an issue in their llife but doesnt bother and complains about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

annascott wrote: »
    Someone who reaches the age of forty and still lives hand to mouth/pay cheque to pay cheque and worries about paying bills etc.

You've basically just described me (although I'm 37 atm) and I don't consider myself a failure at life at all.

Sure, I'd love to be in a better position financially, but money isn't the be all and end all of life. You can be struggling financially and still have many other successes in your life. I know plenty of people who struggle daily with bills and I certainly don't consider them failures at life.

Judging people to be failures based on materialistic nonsense like that, especially in these times, is really rather shallow and short-sighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

A parent you mean? Bog off!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

Doing a Bungy jump and forgetting to tie the cord

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

What, you mean like most people? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭The Big Lebowsky

In reality there is no such thing as success or failure. In fifty short years most of us will be dead anyway. We are all just passing through this plane of existence.

Please don't forget, it was this win at all costs mentality of get rich quick merchants that landed us all in the sh1te..

It is written in the hindu holy book the Baghavad Gita
    "All you see before you, is temporary and impermanent. Only the soul is everlasting... deathless"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Not being a man, letting people walk over you. Letting a woman walk all over you, not speaking up and putting her in her place. A man's man, a guy who is respected.

That's the machismo world....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

People who worry about bills at 40 are losers in life? Such a moronic view to harbour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

You've basically just described me (although I'm 37 atm) and I don't consider myself a failure at life at all.

Sure, I'd love to be in a better position financially, but money isn't the be all and end all of life. You can be struggling financially and still have many other successes in your life. I know plenty of people who struggle daily with bills and I certainly don't consider them failures at life.

Judging people to be failures based on materialistic nonsense like that, especially in these times, is really rather shallow and short-sighted.

A parent you mean? Bog off!

old hippy wrote: »

What, you mean like most people? :confused:

People who worry about bills at 40 are losers in life? Such a moronic view to harbour.

Wow! That one kicked off a shìtstorm! :pac:

Perspective lads. I think ye're all picking up annascott wrong.

I think they mean the likes of people who haven't matured past their teenage and early 20's years and haven't bothered to make something of themselves that they're still stuck in the mind of a young adult on the cusp of adult maturity, but never quite getting there.

I'll be honest- no matter what age a person is they can get caught out by unforeseen circumstances. That's not failure. It's that person's acceptance of their circumstances they find themselves in that makes them a failure.

The thing to remember about failure and the great thing about failure is that you can always come back from it.

This is an ideology very prominent in American society, and much as I abhor Ireland's propensity for aspiring to all things American, their generally positive spin on failure is something we have yet to adopt to rid Irish society of it's bitterness and begrudgery and it's generally sneery attitude towards those who have failed.

The one thing a person who failed will always be able to be proud of is that at least they tried

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

I won't be financially independent and secure when I reach forty either! I just admit that I should have done better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I won't be financially independent and secure when I reach forty either! I just admit that I should have done better.

Are you a bit mad?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Maybe someone who has accumulated nothing by 35.. Be it a partner, great experiences or wealth. If you haven't hit any of those by that age, there's a good chance you've missed the boat.

With any of those, it's either been worth it or you still have the possibility of the others ahead of you.

Wealth you say. Your health is your wealth :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Jesus there's a lot of motivated aspiring people on boards these days. Best of luck to ya son :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

So...a majority of people then. Unless you're really wealthy I doubt worrying about bills and rent or mortgages or whatever ever goes away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

krudler wrote: »

So...a majority of people then. Unless you're really wealthy I doubt worrying about bills and rent or mortgages or whatever ever goes away.

Even the incredibly wealthy still have bills to pay krudler. I don't think annascotts point was about the accumulation of wealth, but rather acquiring the maturity to manage one's financial responsibilities.

We see famously wealthy people all the time unable to handle the pressure that comes with the accumulation of wealth, then there are more that ARE able to cope with that pressure because they are mature enough to handle the financial responsibility that comes with it.

It's not that their wealth means they have nothing to worry about, it just looks that way because they have the maturity to manage it properly.

Wealth you say. Your health is your wealth :D

And wealth will keep ya healthier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I'm beginning to detect a pattern whereby threads go zombie very shortly after trolling or unpleasantness is introduced. Anyone care to guess why Dejvice got so angry? I notice he became involved in a thread about accents which was very uncomplimentary ( some might argue racist, ) about some English accents. I guess he was English and reacted like a wounded animal. Any comments? And before someone calls this post off topic or trolling, might I suggest that it is relevant to failure, failure to make a point if nothing else.

feargale wrote: »
    I'm beginning to detect a pattern whereby threads go zombie very shortly after trolling or unpleasantness is introduced. Anyone care to guess why Dejvice got so angry? I notice he became involved in a thread about accents which was very uncomplimentary ( some might argue racist, ) about some English accents. I guess he was English and reacted like a wounded animal. Any comments? And before someone calls this post off topic or trolling, might I suggest that it is relevant to failure, failure to make a point if nothing else.

Mod
    Djvice has been banned. No further discussion should take place regarding this poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Shamozzle

IMO people with no friends or a significant other are failures at life. All the money in the world will not buy you these things, not real ones anyway. Also people that have no "hope" are failures, if there's no hope there's nothing.

I work a shit job, I'm single but I'm still happy. I've good friends, I have a few hobbies I love and I am content but I am also hopeful for my future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Just after everything went tits up in 07/08 a Billionaire German industrialist killed himself under a train because he got 'reduced' to being a multi millionaire

F**kin' Hell, Dude. Perspective ??????

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Shamozzle wrote: »
    IMO people with no friends or a significant other are failures at life. All the money in the world will not buy you these things, not real ones anyway. Also people that have no "hope" are failures, if there's no hope there's nothing.

I work a shit job, I'm single but I'm still happy. I've good friends, I have a few hobbies I love and I am content but I am also hopeful for my future.

Friends are a great asset. Many including the wealthiest and most famous have lots of acquaintances and hangers on, but true friends? The greatest loss is absence or loss of a sense of humour, of the ability to laugh at yourself, at your plight, at life. When you've lost that you've lost everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭tim3000

A failure at life, well success means something different to everybody. For some its getting the bills paid for others its accomplishing something. For me I would consider someone a failure when they stop trying to learn new things or take pleasure in the discovery of something new.

Advertisement