Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I think Aerlingus are one of if not the best airlines in the world.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

Grayson wrote: »
    Honestly, I tend to fly 50/50 with Aer Lingus and Ryanair. Ryanair might be irritating, but most of the time they get me there for half the price. If prices are comparable, I go with Aer lingus.

But some of us can't afford Aer Lingus all the time. And if it wasn't for Ryanair, Aer Lingus (and others) would be raping us on price.

Personally I can't stand all the advertising Ryanair do on the plane, they spend more trying to sell me crap then actually looking after the clients. Honestly who has ever bought a pack of smokeless cigarettes that the feel the need to push it down my neck every time I get on board. The also use a contractor air hostess service, so you get a bunch of attitude because they treat them like ****, so in turn they treat you like ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Flew to Glasgow last weekend with Aer Lingus, was cheaper than Ryanair when we booked.
    Im the same booked my flights to spain last month for june, and ryanair were looking for almost double what aer lingus charge for the exact same route !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Dwork

kjl wrote: »
    Personally I can't stand all the advertising Ryanair do on the plane, they spend more trying to sell me crap then actually looking after the clients. Honestly who has ever bought a pack of smokeless cigarettes that the feel the need to push it down my neck every time I get on board. The also use a contractor air hostess service, so you get a bunch of attitude because they treat them like ****, so in turn they treat you like ****.
    I agree. Also, they are scabby, hungry hoors as a corporation. I hate that scabby attitude, so I'd rather tie my flute to the door of a Lorry and have it drag me to my destination than book with them. Does my bag fit? No idea, how bigs your mouth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I would always fly BMI to Heathrow if I could. for some reason boarding always seemed easier with them. Their reward scheme was far superior to the Aer lingus one. Not sure what the BA take over has meant though, but the prices have certainly gone up.

Aer Lingus cabin crew are generally good, but I find they fall in to two categories, the older crew who are friendly, chatty and will do anything for you, or the blonde wannabe wag who thinks passengers are an interference with their glamorous oh so gorgeous life style.

absolutely first class breakfast though, no doubts about that.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Wouldn't fly Aer Lingus if there was a Ryanair alternative, especially not for a business flight. Like the OP, I've been a traveling consultant, flew over 50 times in 2011.

About 10 of those flights were with Aer Lingus, I'm pretty sure all were late. These were Monday morning flights to the UK, prime target market for AL.

The rest were all Ryanair flights and I think 5 were late, one of them was because Obama took our slot in Dublin airport.

Somebody else booked my flights and I initially cursed them for picking Ryanair every time, the only time we ended up on AL was if we sent our paperwork in late, the Ryanair flight always booked up first. By the end of it we were making sure to get everything booked in time so we could stick with Ryanair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I avoid them where I can and don't like them at all.
    Long distance they are one of the worst I've flown with apart from Air France & AA, short haul they are generally more expensive than Ryanair so pointless.

Then add in all the political baggage and protectionism they love to engage in on top and it's a recipe to avoid at all costs for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Swiss are a great airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

short haul they are generally more expensive than Ryanair so pointless.

A $10 hooker is less expensive than a $100 hooker but it doesn't mean it's better value =p

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

A $10 hooker is less expensive than a $100 hooker but it doesn't mean it's better value =p

value?
    on short hop flights they only thing that matters is cost and time, even without being quite as direct as AL to some locations the equation nearly always comes out in their favour anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The Aer Lingus staff seem to be on strike incredibly often so I'll be sticking with Ryanair as I'd rather avoid their delays and/or cancellations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

I flew to Edinburgh with Aer Lingus a few weeks ago. My suitcase was slightly too big for hand luggage when I was made to measure it in one of them wire rack things they have at the check in desks (my own fault). When the girl at the desk said to me 'It's too big, you'll have to check it in', I got a sinking feeling in my stomach thinking about how much it would cost me.

It turned to delight when she told me it would be free to check in my case 'the flights only half full, so we won't bother charging you'. Fair play Aer Lingus, if that was Ryanair I would have been financially raped......

I don't think there is much difference between the two airlines price wise either......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Chop Chop

AdamD wrote: »
    The Aer Lingus staff seem to be on strike incredibly often so I'll be sticking with Ryanair as I'd rather avoid their delays and/or cancellations.

I hope there's enough fuel to get you there....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

On the Dublin to Paris route I prefer Air France. I'd have a preference for Aer Lingus on other routes but if Swineair are significantly cheaper I'll fly with them but I'll factor in the travel distance and cost to the destination from the remote location that Ryanair land.

Chop Chop wrote: »
    I hope there's enough fuel to get you there....
    Meaning? Edit, the Ryanair policy of "close cutting it on fuel?" I more dislike the bit in Ryanairs flight manual that seems to instruct their pilots to slam the fcuker down onto the runway just hard enough to test the tarmac, but not hard enough to make the wheels fall off. It's disconcerting. It's like their final "fcuk you" to the passengers - you're here, well, somwhere vaguely near "here", and you're alive. Be grateful and fcuk away off, thanks.

I'd much rather fly with Aer Lingus even if it cost a few quid more. Besides, Ryanair's European airports are in the arseh0le of nowhere. Factor travelling into the city and it's probably worked out more expensive. I can't stand all that sell, sell, sell on ryanair flights either.

Oh yeah, have you ever compared the flight durations of Ryanair and another airline, both flying from A to B. Have a look next time. Their flight durations will be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I work in the industry, Aer Lingus treat their staff very well....which is partly while their pension pot is in the shiite...but even new recruits training as crew now get great pay.

Dwork wrote: »
    Meaning? Edit, the Ryanair policy of "close cutting it on fuel?"

Correct, new legislation needs to be drafted in by the EU before that arrogant <insert insult> loses lives.....time bomb waiting to go off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

crosstownk wrote: »
    On the Dublin to Paris route I prefer Air France. I'd have a preference for Aer Lingus on other routes but if Swineair are significantly cheaper I'll fly with them but I'll factor in the travel distance and cost to the destination from the remote location that Ryanair land.

Oh god, that little AVRO RJ with its bus eireann like leg-room and ear piercing cabin volume. I guess the free drinks, sammiches, and food with the option of premium economy is nice though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

I love aer lingus but I dont like the way they advertise sale prices and then don't offer those prices on the website.

Oh god, that little AVRO RJ with its bus eireann like leg-room and ear piercing cabin volume. I guess the free drinks, sammiches, and food with the option of premium economy is nice though.

Have to say I don't mind the AVRO flying to Paris, 1 hour max and you're on your way to Disneyland.

• Advertisement

Aerlingus seem to have a better grasp of the term "Destination" as well. Going to Paris? Sure Belgiums only a hop, skip and a jump. I'm surprised RA havn't managed to launch their "Dublin cork airport" initiative yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Dwork wrote: »
    I have a room paid for 365 days a year with Travelodge for work(only hotel in the area). They still treat you like crap.

Iiiittttt's Alan Partridge !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

keith16 wrote: »
    Agreed, their maintenance unit has a world-class reputation.

Another think is that the crew are generally great banter! I remember taking my mam on holiday once.

I go to the jacks, of course my mam pipes up to the nearest air-hostess that "my son is taking me on hols", come back out to see all the of them around my mams seat saying how great I was before turning to me with a load of "aawwhs" and "ah shure aren't ya mighty alltogether".

They come back a few mins later with a beer and a paper - on the house! Terrific!!

You better have joined the mile high club on that flight!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Flying Aer Lingus around europe is pretty much ryanair, but more expensive.
    My last trans atlantic with aer lingus was a disaster. I'd avoid them if I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I fly once maybe twice a year, I couldn't care less who I fly with as long as its cheapest. I can kind of understand a preference if its long haul, but for short flights within Europe, who cares, price is all that matters.
    Do you have a preference of Taxi? I only travel in a Volkswagen?? makes about as much sense.

TheUsual wrote: »
    Iiiittttt's Alan Partridge !!!!
    Err, no, I don't stay there. It's for lads doing work over there. I.E, not me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

What if you pay your taxi to go to Finglas but drops you in Ballymun....
    Senna wrote: »
    I fly once maybe twice a year, I couldn't care less who I fly with as long as its cheapest. I can kind of understand a preference if its long haul, but for short flights within Europe, who cares, price is all that matters.
    Do you have a preference of Taxi? I only travel in a Volkswagen?? makes about as much sense.

kyote00 wrote: »
    What if you pay your taxi to go to Finglas but drops you in Ballymun....
    No, "Finglas ballymun". If you say the place you want to go first, then stick in some random placename they actually go to, you've got the formula.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Senna wrote: »

Yeah, short haul you are 100% right.

Aer Lingus used to charge me 600 euro for the return flight (off-peak) to get ALL the way to Paris and back from work, I was paying it out of my own pocket.
    Ryanair was a 2 hour bus to Beauvais but was 60 euro return for same flights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Tefral

I flew over 100 flights with Aerlingus in the last year, great airline. Agree about the gold circle lounge too.. many a time ive been half cut getting on a plane with the free booze.

Advertisement