Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I think Aerlingus are one of if not the best airlines in the world.

Options
  • 07-03-2013 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭

I work as a traveling consultant so I take at least 50-100 flights a year. I have been on all the major airlines and I honestly think they are the best.

Firstly, the price is very comparable to most other airlines. You can sometimes get flights cheaper than Ryanair and certainly cheaper than BA or Lufthansa

Secondly, They look after their customers. I am 6f5 and when I don't book an emergence exit seat, the first question that I get asked when I board the plane is if if I would like one. Even though they charge for the extra seats, they will always give you one for free at the check in desk if you ask.

Thirdly, they have a really good reward scheme. Most airlines, you will have to be on a flight minimum twice a week for a year before you get to be a gold member, or take a lot of first class flights to clock up enough air miles. With Aerlingus you simple need 24 flights to the UK or 16 flights to Europe or 6 flights to the US to quality for the gold circle club. If you fly first class return to the US, they will give it to you after one trip. Being a gold circle member gives you access to all the lounges, a special security check with a much shorter line and a special check in desk in any airport that Aerlingus fly too, you can also board the plane whenever you want to. You can also use your air miles to buy flights to anywhere they fly and at a set rate.

If you buy a plus ticket they will give you 1 free bag and seat selection.

Also the seats are very comfortable, honestly one of the most comfortable around. The staff are pleasant and very willing to help you with anything need.

I like them so much to the point that I was working in Leeds for a while, Aerlingus don't fly to Leeds, but Ryanair do, despite this I used to fly to Manchester and then take a train to Leeds instead of Flying directly to Leeds.

What does anyone else think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

I agree Aer Lingus are the best, not as easy get cheap flights with them now but still would prefer them to Ryanair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

In-flight entertainment on long haul sucks b*lls

otherwise they're grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

and this will all end if that spanner o leary gets to take it over

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

Thinly veiled /iworkforAerLingus thread

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

This must be an old thread...

From when you were aged 5 and had never been on a plane.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

one of the safest as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

IM0 wrote: »
    and this will all end if that spanner o leary gets to take it over

I really pray that doesn't happen.

7ofBrian wrote: »
    Thinly veiled /iworkforAerLingus thread

I swear I don't, just a very happy customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Dwork

I always try and book a flight on Aerlingus first, only if I can't find a flight do I look at another airline. I try reeeaaalllllyyyy hard not to book ryanair, as in the ferry comes above them on the list of ways to get there..and I hate ferries.

Ryanair have to be up there with Travvelodge with their "we're so big we don't need you, take it or leave it, pleb boy" atitude. And I have a room paid for 365 days a year with Travvelodge for work(only hotel in the area). They still treat you like crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

one of the safest as well

Agreed, their maintenance unit has a world-class reputation.

Another think is that the crew are generally great banter! I remember taking my mam on holiday once.

I go to the jacks, of course my mam pipes up to the nearest air-hostess that "my son is taking me on hols", come back out to see all the of them around my mams seat saying how great I was before turning to me with a load of "aawwhs" and "ah shure aren't ya mighty alltogether".

They come back a few mins later with a beer and a paper - on the house! Terrific!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Have travelled on similar number of flights a year in my previous job. While I like Aer Lingus I preferred Singapore airlines, Qatar airways, Cathay pacific and Eitihad. The Asian airlines got that whole flying thing on lock.

I can't say I've flown with as many airlines as the OP, but I fly often enough and I love flying Aer Lingus. €10 extra for the front row, yes please.

Dwork wrote: »
    I always try and book a flight on Aerlingus first, only if I can't find a flight do I look at another airline. I try reeeaaalllllyyyy hard not to book ryanair, as in the ferry comes above them on the list of ways to get there..and I hate ferries.

Ryanair have to be up there with Travvelodge with their "we're so big we don't need you, take it or leave it, pleb boy" atitude. And I have a room paid for 365 days a year with Travvelodge for work(only hotel in the area). They still treat you like crap.

In terms of corporate hotels, Hilton and Marriot are where it's at.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Would definitely prefer Aer Lingus, I flew with the last month and the person I was with needed extra assistance and they were nothing short of charming to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

Please find me a flight on AL( to anywere) which is cheaper than a similiar ryanair offering...

• Registered Users Posts: 49 murraymar

Had the misfortune to have to use them to come back from states for dads funeral 20 years ago. Even though I handed them my paid for ticket they went off in a rant how I had to get death cert faxed to them. I only mentioned my dad had died as the flight was delayed and I wanted to know had they an estimated time of take off. I was not asking for an upgrade etc as I had already given them my ticket. Swore blind I would never fly with them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

They're widely regarded as one of the best in the world by insiders. I remember reading something about how their approach to on-flight & hospitality service has been something that airlines around the world have aspired to since the 50's, and still do.

kjl wrote: »
    In terms of corporate hotels, Hilton and Marriot are where it's at.
    In terms of the kip we do work in all year round(UK), the Travvellodge is the only hotel for absolute miles...it sucks as5, tbh.

Please find me a flight on AL( to anywere) which is cheaper than a similiar ryanair offering...

Factor in the anal raping you get on Ryanair and Aerlingus comes out on top every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

I was working in Leeds for a while, Aerlingus don't fly to Leeds, but Ryanair do, despite this I used to fly to Manchester and then take a train to Leeds instead of Flying directly to Leeds

Yes I hate Ryanair with a passion as well, I would much rather eat my own SH!T than fly with them again.

A negative for Aerlingus is that they frown on public masterbation. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

There's only one better airline in the world in my opinion, and I better get ready to run before I write this:

BRITISH AIRWAYS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭The_Gatsby

I was coming back from Boston last summer and flew with Aer Lingus. As I stepped onto the plane I asked "Any chance of of an upgrade to first class?", to which the hostess replied "Any chance you think this plane is a pig?".

Aer Lingus 1 - Me 0

• Registered Users Posts: 49 murraymar

Where To wrote: »
    There's only one better airline in the world in my opinion, and I better get ready to run before I write this:

I agree fab airline. I also like flying quantas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Where To wrote: »

BRITISH AIRWAYS

I heard they'd gone to ****e lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Factor in the anal raping you get on Ryanair and Aerlingus comes out on top every time.

Honestly, I tend to fly 50/50 with Aer Lingus and Ryanair. Ryanair might be irritating, but most of the time they get me there for half the price. If prices are comparable, I go with Aer lingus.

But some of us can't afford Aer Lingus all the time. And if it wasn't for Ryanair, Aer Lingus (and others) would be raping us on price.

Or once, just once, toddle up to the Ryanair "Customer riding help desk" and ask "Can I change to an earlier/later flight, and how much will that cost please?". Just do it for the giggle. They expect you to buy a fcuking wing for the aeroplane for the privelege of changing the flight time.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I use AL a few times a year, prefer them many times over compared to ryanair, even if they may be more expensive.

But as for seat allocation OP, its always free to pick your seat at the airport with them, regardless of your size. Even though I am only 5'7, I prefer the exit seats as well, and always ask for them when they ask if any seat preference.

Might not be best airline in the world, but for european short haul, they are one of the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

im scared stiff of flying and the wife is pressuring me to go to new york before xmas, ive promised her ill go but only if we fly aer lingus. them and quantas would be the only airlines i trust 100%

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Flew to Glasgow last weekend with Aer Lingus, was cheaper than Ryanair when we booked.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭james142

I agree. Will always try fly with them.

Advertisement