Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Facebook Exposure

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭HemlockOption

Mydayoff wrote: »
    Could somebody address the point made in the thread?

Sure. Continue commiting the sin of loneliness. It's safer for society.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 329 ✭✭Cereal Number

Hmm, i think you are masturbating too much to facebook son

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

Op defo was trained by jimmy saville

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Dwork

The OP got "Dibbled" :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

neil_ wrote: »
    Most people don't sit around all day worrying about how some creeper will be able to manipulate them after discovering that they like Queen and play mafia wars..The information that people reveal on facebook is usually the same information they would reveal in the first 5 minutes of conversation after meeting someone

That may be a longer conversation than what would happen if they were to meet..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyU4FeVdUa4

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

Why do so many people I know choose to reveal so much about themselves on facebook. You'd think hot girls would be aware that people are looking them up, or is it that I just get lucky?

Some of the girls that I fancy seem mysterious until I look them up on facebook. It is then so much easier to know what makes them tick, or to play mind games with them, etc, etc. I therefore have an advantage over them, and this could potentially make them more susceptible to being bedded. With one girl, I realised that when I had a mutual friend with her, I could see way more stuff on her wall.

Are they really this stupid, to share such information with the whole world, that an employer or anyone could see? What's more; is that it seems to me as if it is a deliberate decision, because they would obviously have been warned by their friends and other people on facebook.

Genus: Predator

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Could somebody address the point made in the thread?

Yes, the first post looked a bit weird to be fair, but I think that the main thrust of it contained a useful observation.
    Why do so many people I know choose to reveal so much about themselves on facebook. You'd think hot girls would be aware that people are looking them up, or is it that I just get lucky?

Some of the girls that I fancy seem mysterious until I look them up on facebook. It is then so much easier to know what makes them tick, or to play mind games with them, etc, etc. I therefore have an advantage over them, and this could potentially make them more susceptible to being bedded. With one girl, I realised that when I had a mutual friend with her, I could see way more stuff on her wall.

Are they really this stupid, to share such information with the whole world, that an employer or anyone could see? What's more; is that it seems to me as if it is a deliberate decision, because they would obviously have been warned by their friends and other people on facebook.

For a start, people should take off their real names, addresses, telephone numbers and certainly don't have a profile picture with your face on it.

People put way too much of their personal information and they expose themselves to creeps, weirdos and criminals.

Aside from all of that, facebook keeps ALL of the information that it gets about you, not only the information that you give, but the photos in which you were tagged, places that people checked you in, etc. Facebook will not delete this information and it seems likely that a way will be found to monetize the info by selling it to marketers.

People really should be more careful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Yes, the first post looked a bit weird to be fair, but I think that the main thrust of it contained a useful observation.

For a start, people should take off their real names, addresses, telephone numbers and certainly don't have a profile picture with your face on it.

People put way too much of their personal information and they expose themselves to creeps, weirdos and criminals.

Aside from all of that, facebook keeps ALL of the information that it gets about you, not only the information that you give, but the photos in which you were tagged, places that people checked you in, etc. Facebook will not delete this information and it seems likely that a way will be found to monetize the info by selling it to marketers.

People really should be more careful.

...or they can just adjust their security settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,181 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Talking is stalking? Sounds like a catholic catchphrase from the 50s.

No, talking to a girl means you're failing at stalking.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Grayson wrote: »
    No, talking to a girl means you're failing at stalking.

Stalking's overrated anyway OP. You only ever go where they want to go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 100 ✭✭Mydayoff

OP how's that sister of yours doing?! Still getting lamped out of it while you're trolling AH?!

She broke up with her BF around valintines up in his house after he gave her flowers and took her to dinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

Grayson wrote: »
    You mean talk to them?

You fail stalker 101.

Not only did i 'LOL' ..i literally laughed out loud :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭cml387

Somehow I feel this could be one of those memorable threads.
    I shall be watching with interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

She broke up with her BF around valintines up in his house after he gave her flowers and took her to dinner.

So the bitch took him to the cleaners and then dumped him?!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

There's something particularly creepy about men who simultaneously hold adoration and contempt for women.

And by creepy I mean rapey.
    And by "men" I mean Mydayoff.

Lou.m wrote: »

But why 101?

So the bitch took him to the cleaners and then dumped him?!

'cleaners'?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

But why 101?

101 is slang for showing something is a class - it's a US thing. Like "Horseriding 101" would be a class that covers the basics of horse riding. So by saying Stalking 101 they're implying you have a creepy and unhealthy attitude towards women.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

'cleaners'?

As in took him for everything he had and then dumped him?

Mydayoff is it really your day off??

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote: »
    There's something particularly creepy about men who simultaneously hold adoration and contempt for women.

And by creepy I mean rapey.
    And by "men" I mean Mydayoff.

I'm not a rapist.. I'm just a bit unorthodox in my ways. I'd be careful of the way you throw the term 'rapey' around in real life, and first be sure that it is called for! There is nothing wrong with stalking as long as its on facebook, and by bedding girls I mean asking them.. its just funny to say it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭aquaman

Lou.m wrote: »

I never use "LOL" unless I do lol
    Otherwise I use "NLOL" for nearly laughed out loud

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭aquaman

But why 101?

Cleaners?

Mydayoff needs to take slang 101

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭PandaX9

I'm not a rapist.. I'm just a bit unorthodox in my ways. I'd be careful of the way you throw the term 'rapey' around in real life, and first be sure that it is called for! There is nothing wrong with stalking as long as its on facebook, and by bedding girls I mean asking them.. its just funny to say it that way.

Hah a bit...
    What is this magical information that permits you to bed women? This sounds like a noble quest.

In all seriousness though I don't think there is much on my Facebook that would make people think that they "know" me without speaking to me etc. if a stranger came up to me and said "I see you like X" I'd ask what made them say that (particularly if it's not something I recently alluded to anywhere), if it was something that they had to specifically root through Facebook to find out and then try to impress me with it it'd backfire and make me think they were a creep. I mean who pays that much attention to Facebook anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,256 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Zillah wrote: »
    101 is slang for showing something is a class - it's a US thing. Like "Horseriding 101" would be a class that covers the basics of horse riding. So by saying Stalking 101 they're implying you have a creepy and unhealthy attitude towards women.

"101" on its own refers to beginners or basics. "Room 101" is a reference to 1984, where it's the room the contains that which you fear ot hate the most.

In this context, the poster was refering that, by talking to women, I am an amateur stalker.

EDIT - replied to wrong post, can't be arsed correcting, apologies to Zillah.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Threads like this make me feel sad for my gender.

You're male. Come on dude, we have our flaws, but would you rather be a woman?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 LadyofLucan

You're male. Come on dude, we have our flaws, but we would you rather be a woman?

How are you single?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

Yeah, not anything rapey at all in that paragrah....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Fantastic wording :P
    Started off with a genuine question then gradually starting releasing more and more information til you were dishing out tips :P
    If you add one of her friends you can give those albums a proper look! :P

Internet's a dangerous place...
    There's a fair amount of attention seekers out there,
    Who know full well there's a vast variety of people checking them out,
    Guessing they like it,
    There's a lot as well that are just naive..
    Found out there recently when I got a new phone,
    Automagically synced with Facebook when I logged in,
    Have all contacts now on my phone, and a surprising amount of numbers as well that people have made public on their profile..
    Have their name, email, phone number, job title, address, "Facebook Family Members" (Often friends as sisters and brothers) and date of birth at the touch of a button... And their most recent Facebook profile pic :P
    Just thinking if you filled all this in and made it available to public, it's a scammers dream!
    Sorry lost this but I can prove it's me, go on, ask me my DOB, email, parents, cousins, address...
    All readily available!

Easier than adding it one by one but there's a handful of people in my contacts now that I don't know, yet I have their mobile, email and DOB...
    Risky...
    Lucky I can't be bothered to do anything with them... :P

Advertisement