Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should programming/networking be a leaving cert subject?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I think wildnerness training is neccesary.. because you never know when you're stuck in the middle of nowhere and need to build a hut.

It would be great fun too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I don't think they should do programming/networking I do think they should do a computer class . They do ICT (Information communications technology) in England in secondary school, primary schools have computer classes too.

ICT secondary
    http://www.ncdc.gov.rw/ICT%20Curriculum%20for%20Upper%20Secondary.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I think wildnerness training is neccesary.. because you never know when you're stuck in the middle of nowhere and need to build a hut.

It would be great fun too!

First Aid too. Every kid should know mouth to mouth before they leave school.

*waits for the puns to start*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Another subject should be finance and the effects of markets, risk etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

NO. and NO to the above.

Networking / Programming is a very fast changing fast moving area that makes defining a valid syllabus for it almost impossible, and there are so many other variable, like operating systems, and concepts that change so quickly, the qualification would probably be out of date before it was even taken. It wouldn't suit some personalities, so for all of these reasons, no. The other aspect is that keeping the teachers up to date would be a nightmare, and teaching out of date products or concepts is counterproductive.

I've worked with computers for close on 40 years, and what I learnt in the early years is now so out of date, it's not even funny. The same applies to Languages, and operating systems. They change too often to make them a school subject.

As for the quote above, I would say that a far more important subject would be Home Systems, a short course with a course book that is kept by the student in how things in the home work, like Electrics, Gas, Water systems, Oil Heating, Phone and Broadband, Cable TV, CCTV systems, Access Control systems, basic simple stuff like "what to do if the power goes off", What is a circuit breaker, or a fuse board, How to read gas,electric and water meters, How to set up a computer on broadband, and more importantly, with graphic full colour photographs, what NOT to do, and WHY NOT, especially in relation to Gas safety, and also Electric Safety.

Even simple things like setting a time clock on heating, changing a tap washer, checking and replacing a fuse in a plug, There's a whole list of basic jobs that all of the people coming out of second level should be aware of and understand. That might help reduce the number of serious accidents with particularly Gas and Electricity, and also make it a lot harder for the cowboys that are unfortunately still out there to rip people off.

I'm not suggesting that they should be taught too much, but enough to know the basics, and more importantly enough to know when NOT to try and sort out the fault or problem, but to call in the right professional to sort it.
    I can't see C becoming obsolete any time soon. Even if the specific language that they were taught went out of date, there are plenty of concepts that underpin most/all languages, so it would be helpful to have been exposed to them prior to taking it up in university. And even if none of it ended up being useful from a programming perspective, the students will have gotten good experience of problem solving and things of that nature, so it can hardly be said to have been time wasted.

• Advertisement

Grayson wrote: »

Dirty bástard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Could some of the posters who say that Programming / Networking / Computer Science shouldn't be taught at secondary school level please suggest why this shouldn't be the case?

As for the UK scenario Michael Gove and the Department of Education have been in discussions with Google and other firms as to what curriculum they could put together for a Computer Science class.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Grayson wrote: »

In all seriousness.. it's a disgrace that it's not. What the **** is Transition year for, pardon my french.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Another subject should be finance and the effects of markets, risk etc.

Yeah and they could call it economics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

In all seriousness.. it's a disgrace that it's not. What the **** is Transition year for, pardon my french.

We did first aid modules in TY back when I did it..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

When I was in school (left in 2010), we were taught the basics of computers; Excel and whatnot. I think all students should be taught things like email and how to connect to the internet. Pretty much the kind of thing parents and grandparents ask their kids to help them with.

I know very little about programming, but some form of it could be very popular as an optional LC subject. It'll give students a taste of it if they're considering going into IT after the LC.

Don't make it compulsory though; it's not for everyone. An arts-minded student (for example) probably won't have much need for it, or any interest in it.

As an aside, Religious Education for LC is very valuable; you learn about far more than Christianity. Ignorance breeds prejudice, and all that. But again, it shouldn't be forced on students.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

i was'nt allowed to do it cos i was 'bad' ... i missed canoeing, loads of half days, personal 'development' lectures & trips to the aran islands

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    When I was in school (left in 2010), we were taught the basics of computers; Excel and whatnot. I think all students should be taught things like email and how to connect to the internet. Pretty much the kind of thing parents and grandparents ask their kids to help them with.

I know very little about programming, but some form of it could be very popular as an optional LC subject. It'll give students a taste of it if they're considering going into IT after the LC.

Don't make it compulsory though; it's not for everyone. An arts-minded student (for example) probably won't have much need for it, or any interest in it.

As an aside, Religious Education for LC is very valuable; you learn about far more than Christianity. Ignorance breeds prejudice, and all that. But again, it shouldn't be forced on students.

I know someone who used to train Transition year students in the ECDL. If listening to that old fecker drone on about access macro's wasn't enough to make you never touch a computer ever again, i don't know what is.

But yeah, i completly forgot about transition year. that's the perfect time to teach em typing and word and crap like that. they're skills that everyone needs nowadays. I have no idea how I managed to get this far typing with two fingers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 cautiouscarguy

You know Ive got the funniest feeling that a lot of replies in here are by people who dont work in IT.

Id have a few issues with introducing programming.

1) "Thats where all the work is". Yeh for now maybe. Im not sure how national curriculums are designed and implemented. But Id bet it would take years to fully implement this (getting all the schools setup with computers especially those country/small town ones, getting the tutors trained, a curriculum put together etc). And it would take years to get our first bunch of IT trained kids out of school and into the workforce. Supposing our first batch are coming out in 20 years from now. Will this huge shortage of programmers in the workforce still be there? Or will we be sitting here saying "why do we teach kids programing, would we not be better off teaching xyz"

2) It helps with logic skills? Yeh so does maths. It would be much easier and cheaper (and more beneficial in the long run) to just double up maths in the curriculum. However if you really wanted to teach logic skills, why not just teach logic skills?

3) Programming definitely isnt for everybody. Obviously you can say this about any subject. But I think programming really will only to appeal to a tiny minority. People will argue about religion and Irish saying they are worthless. In my opinion Religion is hugely important. Like it or not, there are wars all across the world (some ongoing) because of religion. I think that alone makes religion a valid subject. Its bad enough as it is when primary school kids cant even tell you the difference if any between an Islamic and a Muslim even though they constantly hear about them on the news.

4) There are so many other things that are hugely lacking from our schools that would be much more beneficial. Im sure everyone will have their own opinon here, but imo I would say some philosophy (thats one way to get them thinking), a medical class (Irish society is a disaster when it comes to medical issues, esp. mental health. We need to get more educated on this) and without a doubt some decent creativity classes. Again, lets go back to our programming scenario. All these people making millions of euros on apps and various other bits of software- do you know how many top class programmers are out there and arent millionaires? Exactly.

You see, the coding bit is the easy part, the hard part is trying to think up something that is unique and hasnt been done before. Or at the very least, find something that has been done, take that, put a unqiue spin on it and then resell it.

Anyway. Thats just some thoughts. From an IT person.

@cautiouscarguy. It might be a niche subject, but in pretty much every college the people doing IT courses will out number the people doing physics, maths and chemistry. But all three are taught in school.

It doesn't have to be something that everyone does. But I think based on college enrolement it would be popular enough to justify it.

Now there is the matter of teaching it. Not just constructing a course, but actually getting the resources to teach it. Besides the computers, you also need some where to put them.

Thing is, that'd come in time. i've actually helped some rural secondary schools set up computer labs. But all they're used for is teaching word etc. I think a lot of schools would have the resources, and the rest would get them over time.

The government should at the very least create a curriculum.

And for what it matters, I'm currently studying Maths & Philosophy. I think that they are great subjects and students would have a lot to gain from studying them (I'm currently dossing whilst doing a group theory assignment). But I also work in IT. And I think comp sci should be a leaving cert science like physics, or chemistry or biology.

cautiouscarguy: I'm a software developer.

1) It doesn't matter whether that's where all the work is. People need to take the prospect seriously, computers are deeply engrained into every area of our lives and are increasingly important, knowing about how they function will be a valuable skill irrespective of whether or not people actually end up taking programming roles.

2) Maths and software engineering can go hand in hand. In fact in terms of working out algorithms both are useful. I still think walking through the logic of how a system processes things is incredibly useful.

3) I think it would appeal to more than you think, and I think it would make people more aware that computer science is a real option. I'm not advocating getting rid of religion class. I think that's important, but I also think that technology is hugely important and not recognised sufficiently in Ireland's education system.

4) I disagree strongly for the afforementioned reasons.

And yes, I do know what I'm talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

You see, the coding bit is the easy part, the hard part is trying to think up something that is unique and hasnt been done before. Or at the very least, find something that has been done, take that, put a unqiue spin on it and then resell it.
    Thats rubbish and only really appliciable to gaming and the frenzy surrounding smart phone apps at the moment.

EDIT:anyways I think I.T definitly should an optional leaving cert option

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Look at how mobile and wirelessly connected electronic devices have gotten in the past 10 years. Look at how quickly entire chains of brick & mortar shops are being made irrelevant. Look at how 'simple' mobile apps can disrupt entire industries. Hell, look at the entire new industries that have sprung up overnight. It's a whole new ball game.

You say we don't know what the industry will need 20 years from now. I say it's quite obvious that it will still be people who can program. (Different languages of course)

As far as I'm concerned it should be an optional subject on the curriculum asap, and not just for Leaving Cert.

[edit] Haven't seen it posted here but this subject is getting HUGE traction in the USA: http://www.code.org/

There's also a lot of after school code clubs being set up in schools here in the UK. Many in my firm also volunteer in a nearby school to encourage kids to be interested in software development.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,134 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Should they teach programming or networking on it's own - No, they're a bit too specific.

They should however introduce computing to secondary level schools, which could touch on the topics above, OS's, databases, etc.

it'd give students an idea if they computing or aspects of it - for example you could like programming but hate networking or vice versa - and might help the dropout rates in college for computing, which i think are the highest of any courses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

I don't think they should do programming/networking I do think they should do a computer class . They do ICT (Information communications technology) in England in secondary school, primary schools have computer classes too.

ICT secondary
    http://www.ncdc.gov.rw/ICT%20Curriculum%20for%20Upper%20Secondary.pdf

Nah. The course should be a proper computer science course or nothing imo. One of the good things about the Leaving Cert is that most students take serious academic subjects. In the UK many subjects, ICT included, are viewed as something of a joke by many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Anyone who starts learning to program only after they are 18+, is going to be useless at programming for quite some time (particularly when trying to start off getting a job)

I doubt that very much. I know some fine programmers who got very good very quickly in their early 20s.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Dave! wrote: »
    Yes I think so. Not necessarily compulsory, but certainly an option.
    There was a computing option in maths as far back as the early 80's

real problem is who is going to be capable of teaching it competently and who will pay for that ?

There was a computing option in maths as far back as the early 80's

In which schools? Not mine, anyway :confused:
    real problem is who is going to be capable of teaching it competently and who will pay for that ?

Dunno, has it been explored at all? It's in the industry's interest to have computer literate graduates, so you might be able to get developers loaned out to schools for 1 or 2 classes a week.

Last year I was a mentor for CoderDojo, which was organised by FAS I think, and the 'resources' (i.e. mentors) were provided by the company I worked for. Something like that could be considered. I was actually thinking of trying to organise one in my own former secondary school.

It might not be feasible to have several classes per week, but that doesn't mean that there's nothing that can be done. There was an option of Japanese in my school AFAIK, where did they get the resources for that?!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Dave! wrote: »
    In which schools? Not mine, anyway :confused:
    My school only had French as the foreign language
    Dunno, has it been explored at all? It's in the industry's interest to have computer literate graduates,
    I'll try rephrasing it, a lot of the industry doesn't want people trained the wrong way with the wrong mindset. In many cases it's better to not have people trained to code than have them trained to do things the wrong way in the wrong stuff
    Last year I was a mentor for CoderDojo,
    that has nothing to do with the Leaving Cert and secondary school teachers.

It's more something that happens in spite of rather than because of ...

What are the chances of the dept of Education going for ipad with €'s for every book rather than an Android tablet with open source materials / more choice in paid for material ?

If you are using a table as an e-reader then the choice of books is more important than the platform as they are all pretty capable these days. And in choice of books / platform you don't want lock in, the bad days of having to buy the 6th edition of a particular Biology book from Follens or the Educational Company.

Now back to the point. Have they announced who is going to support the e-readers / IT in the schools ? Is there any evidence of joined-up-thinking in this regard. e-readers are simple and relatively off the shelf compared to setting up a relevant software course , unless you have skilled people.

Advertisement