Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should programming/networking be a leaving cert subject?

Options
  • 02-03-2013 12:22am
    Site Banned Posts: 253 ✭✭

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

What, like foundation level facebook or something? Cos I know a few people who would fail that one.

I don't see why really. Not everyone would be interested in this as a career path and that's mainly what it would be. Especially writing software - you need the right sort of head for it, it's not something that just anyone could do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,842 ✭✭✭amacca

theidiots wrote: »

behaving yourself and making a proper effort should be a leaving cert subject

it should be compulsory to get at least a B in it in order to progress through the system

there could also be a compulsory short module in the new JC programme entitled "how to shut the fcuk up and listen"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭Fannyhead

No

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

I was taught programming in the early 90s when I was in 5th year, on an IBM computer as part of computer studies. The teaching method was fairly simplistic, but to be fair it gave me a basic understanding of programming.
    Do they not teach programming these days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Karsini wrote: »
    I don't see why really. Not everyone would be interested in this as a career path and that's mainly what it would be. Especially writing software - you need the right sort of head for it, it's not something that just anyone could do.

Not everyone is interested in chemistry or physics based careers, you gotta do them. And yes, pretty much anyone can do those things, it's a bullshit get-out for people who don't want to learn saying you "Need the right head for it."

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Ah the days when we used to be able to run this in BASIC

10 PRINT "ANDY IS A PENIS"
    20 GOTO 10

Monitor screen scrolling all day :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

DERR 144

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭murphzor

System.out.println("No, we need to teach more useful/important things like Irish and Religion");

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭blueturnip

Yes it should.

When I was I school I didn't even know you could do courses in computers in college.

It's what I do now after going the long way round.

• Advertisement

Bring back Logo turtle.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

If they taught basic computer skills I'd be happy. I went to secondary school in the early to mid 00s and our computer classes were a complete joke, after a while they completely ceased to happen for some reason. Anything I know is self taught.

Typing for instance is something that needs to be taught at a young age, whether we like it or not it's now an important life skill.

Programming/website development/coding should be taught - it's where all the money is being made lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I think this should be a leaving cert subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭i am awsome

show.println("This is genius, it defenetly should, I started a year ago, and it's awesome!!!");

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

If they taught basic computer skills I'd be happy. I went to secondary school in the early to mid 00s and our computer classes were a complete joke, after a while they completely ceased to happen for some reason. Anything I know is self taught.

Typing for instance is something that needs to be taught at a young age, whether we like it or not it's now an important life skill.

I was taught typing skills by typing things like "Dad ate a salad" over and over again. WTF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

A subject like programming wouldnt just give people an understanding of programming. It would be great for the development of problem solving, logical thinking and all that jazz.

It should be taught in place of waste of time subjects like religion and Irish.

And yes, pretty much anyone can do those things, it's a bullshit get-out for people who don't want to learn saying you "Need the right head for it."

Some people can barely turn on a computer, let alone write software for one. I know a 24 year old girl who couldn't text until a couple of years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Anyone who starts learning to program only after they are 18+, is going to be useless at programming for quite some time (particularly when trying to start off getting a job); definitely something that would be better introduced at an early age in school, and a potentially good way to improve peoples critical thinking abilities in certain aspects.

• Site Banned Posts: 253 ✭✭theidiots

There's thousands upon thousands of jobs in SQL. Surely bull crap courses like Home EC, geography(no more than enough at junior cert) or even thought at junior cert would be more beneficial. College courses these days are a joke. I don't mean that everyone should be made do them. I mean that people should have a choice.

• Advertisement

Some people can barely turn on a computer, let alone write software for one. I know a 24 year old girl who couldn't text until a couple of years ago.

Is that because she appears to have some sort of mental deficiency, blocking her ability to use technology, or because she was never taught?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

murphzor wrote: »
    System.out.println("No, we need to teach more useful/important things like Irish and Religion");
    agree++;

I think there should be an optional leaving cert module that teaches the basics of programming, networking and web development. This kind of stuff is just as essential in 21st century Ireland as learning physics or maths. I didn't learn Java programming until I started college and even for the first couple of years I was still trying to get my head around the concepts of it. The only real foundation I had for it was the logical thinking of leaving cert maths. I think teaching the basics of a language like Java or C++ would be hugely beneficial for those looking to study Software Engineering or other IT-related courses at 3rd level.

Is that because she appears to have some sort of mental deficiency, blocking her ability to use technology, or because she was never taught?

I suppose the AH answer would be that she's American. :pac: She just has no interest in technology, didn't need it nor did she care.

Zero1986 wrote: »
    agree++;

I think there should be an optional leaving cert module that teaches the basics of programming, networking and web development. This kind of stuff is just as essential in 21st century Ireland as learning physics or maths. I didn't learn Java programming until I started college and even for the first couple of years I was still trying to get my head around the concepts of it. The only real foundation I had for it was the logical thinking of leaving cert maths. I think teaching the basics of a language like Java or C++ would be hugely beneficial for those looking to study Software Engineering or other IT-related courses at 3rd level.

I've been trying to convince my parents to enrol my kid Sister in an after-school lesson to learn the bare basics. I think that, in a world already pretty much run on technology, if you can't do anything beyond use the future version of Facebook in ten years time you're gonna have trouble doing most anything work related.

• Site Banned Posts: 253 ✭✭theidiots

Zero1986 wrote: »
    agree++;

Third level courses for IT,computer science are nearly dead now as they are worthless. Basically what employees want is people who are proficent in one or two areas. Better off getting your microsoft SQL/C++ certs, Cisco certs, oracle certs, externall C++ and Java certs etc to have a better chance of employment

I suppose the AH answer would be that she's American. :pac: She just has no interest in technology, didn't need it nor did she care.

The kids of today will need it, at the very least in a basic level. Also, like other users have said, it doesn't just teach you practical things like making apps, so on, it vastly improves your problem solving and logic. On a practical level, being able to write software for something you need that isn't available would increase productivity and workflow. At the moment I'm teaching myself Python for 3D graphic design, because doing the same repetitive procedures stifles my workflow. I could do so much more, much quicker.

On another note, as a country which is in the pit financially, having non-destructive resources like programming houses set up in Ireland might just help pull us out of the hole we're in. We mightn't be able to churn out code like Korean programme shops, but there's enough smart people here making a pretty penny for themselves by making simple smartphone apps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Third level courses for IT,computer science are nearly dead now as they are worthless. Basically what employees want is people who are proficent in one or two areas. Better off getting your microsoft certs, ccna certs, oracle certs, externall C++ and Java certs etc to have a better chance of employment
    I disagree. 3rd level courses in IT are probably more relevant than they've ever been. The problem is is that some IT courses are out-dated and not producing graduates to the standards that companies would expect. The chances of getting a job in software with only an Oracle cert and no degree is still pretty low, unless you have a good portfolio or something. A lot of software companies still expect you to have a good honours degree or even a masters. But in addition an Oracle cert would also be an advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭IrishCule

Definitely. I really wish someone had the foresight to get some type of subject like this into the schools a few years ago. Having some programming experience in 4th and 5th would go along way to giving people a head start in college and also to see if its something they really want to do.

Alot of people go into a CS degree and drop out, that would go down alot if people could get a taste before college.

College degrees need to be improved too. I have to think that getting some certs should be part of your degree. I don't know how it would work out cost wise though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Like any language, it's best aquired at a young age. The ability to write even a simple piece of code is well within most peoples capabilities.
    Wrt networking, simply teach linux in schools instead of this ridiculous windows obsession.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭GavinFlud

Third level courses for IT,computer science are nearly dead now as they are worthless. Basically what employees want is people who are proficent in one or two areas. Better off getting your microsoft SQL/C++ certs, Cisco certs, oracle certs, externall C++ and Java certs etc to have a better chance of employment

I both agree and disagree with what you've said.

On the one hand, a lot of people who actually graduate with degrees in CS or SE never end up working in that field, simply because they are no where near good enough or don't have the relevant certs for certain jobs. This is all mainly due to huge numbers of people jumping on the SE bandwagon because that's where the jobs are. If these companies can't find Irish graduates good enough to fill their jobs, they'll gladly look at graduates from other companies.

On the other hand, there is most certainly jobs out there for talented graduates from CS and SE courses. The only thing is that nobody's going to get a job based solely on the fact that they managed to graduate. Companies want to see side-projects, contributions to open-source projects and a genuine knowledge of SE.

In relation to OP's original question, I'd like to see things like programming and computer engineering taught in schools, even at a basic level. The kids that like it have the option of continuing in that field, while the ones who don't can just ditch it after their exams like we do with most other subjects.

Advertisement