Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metro: Last Light

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Kiith, read post #29.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Thats not confirmed to work at the moment.

The original game only had Ranger mode added after 5 months as DLC and it was only free on PC, the Xbox players had to pay for it.

To me looking at the type of game and the reviews so far Last Light is easily worth the €27.99 I have payed to pre-order it from G2play (which came with Metro 2033 free). The default hardcore difficulty will do me fine. Later I could always pick up the Ranger pack DLC or wait for the DLC to drop in price but I don't think I be bothered with it to be honest.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

It would be pretty funny if it was that easy though :P. I picked it up from G2Play as well, going by Metro 2033 its not a mode I'll would get any pleasure from playing so I won't miss it personally either.

Out of curiosity when did the send you the Metro 2033 key, I received the Last Light one can't see any sign of the first game, not that it is all that important as I'll be heading straight to the freebie thread.

• Advertisement

When I pre-ordered Last Light on the 4th I got 4 e-mails from g2play on the same day. It was in the third one.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Its 29 on g2play atm,im tempted by it but I better not as ive not finished 2033 yet :(.

Its 29 on g2play atm,im tempted by it but I better not as ive not finished 2033 yet :(.

Even cheaper here E26 and a few cent (You know you want to)

http://www.simplycdkeys.com/steam/metro-last-light?pid=19994

Reading this makes me greatly appreciate the efforts of the developers.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-05-15-jason-rubin-metro-last-light-is-the-triumph-of-an-underdog

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Azza wrote: »
    Great article alright and refreshing to see someone at Rubin's level speak so honestly about it. What's equally baffling is the lengths some folk went on Twitter to try and pick holes in the piece, it seems some aren't happy unless they're complaining about something.

Which makes this standout quote from the piece all the more important...
    "If you care about the art of making games then you have to care about more than the final product."

And on that note...
    If 4A had been given a more competitive budget, in a saner environment, hadn't wasted a year-plus chasing the irrational requirement of THQ's original producers to fit multiplayer and co-op into the same deadline and budget(!), hadn't had to deal with the transition to a new publisher in the crucial few months before final, what could 4A have created?
    Jesus christ...

• Advertisement

Won't have any time to really play for a few days, but from a few minutes of a lookaround it seems a very polished game in terms of improved shooting mechanics, inventory menus etc relative to its predecessor.

Looks great, especially the character models and initial performance on overclocked HD7850 seems quite good. Hopefully by the time I am able to get back to this in a few days AMD will have a new driver out and it will be even better.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

marco_polo wrote: »
    Won't have any time to really play for a few days, but from a few minutes of a lookaround it seems a very polished game in terms of improved shooting mechanics, inventory menus etc relative to its predecessor.

Looks great, especially the character models and initial performance on overclocked HD7850 seems quite good. Hopefully by the time I am able to get back to this in a few days AMD will have a new driver out and it will be even better.

I have to agree, it looks and plays great. It's a little too easy, even on Ranger Mode, which takes away from the tension.
    Some of the dialogue is closer to the americanised Clear Skies than the previous game tho.

Digital Foundry has done their face off.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-metro-last-light-face-off

Angry Joe posted a review earlier, but he put it to private. Seems he needs to edit it some more. I'll either edit this post or post it in a new one when he reuploads it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Enjoying it so far, ran a bit shìtty on my AMD hardware but the recent update helped eliminate crashes and stuttering for me, anyways.

Playing it on hardcore, doesn't feel as difficult as the 1st game though there are some great tense moments in it where you're quickly overrun. Gun fighting is far superior to that game though and the weapons feel like they have that oomph to them.

Roll on the weekend :D

Had a quick look so far, presentations been improved, looks great and the voice acting is much better.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,100 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I've barely started, but it sets the scene better than the previous approach of "here's a tunnel, go down it".

Angry Joe Review: (Edit: Spoilers warning.)

I'm loving the lighting effects.
    1024x640.resizedimage

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Anyone having issues running it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Had to turn off advanced physx as it was causing ctd, also not running ssoa as that is another real killer. but it looks amazing and am loving it so far!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,100 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I seem to have savegames that can never be loaded, but can't see any other references to others with the issue.

Ive had one ctd. Enabling advanced physx took a big chunk out of my fps. It's running between 40 and 60 on my GTX570 and stock i7 920 at 1680x1050. Was hitting 80 without it.

5uspect wrote: »
    I'm loving the lighting effects.

The outdoor sections looks amazing as well

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/540708865546291461/755D01023B7F8F6D9BB1E0A949E28A44EDA5D77F/

They do indeed.

Also, holy tessellated
    nipples
    Batman!

I though this was an excellent game, very engaging story and really enjoyable game play, although not everything was an definite improvement over Metro 2033. Gets a solid 8.5/10 from me.

I'll definitely be giving it a nod in the Game awards nominations at the end of the year. :)

They have a season pass which I think is out now. 1200 MS/15 euros or so I think. It'll have 4 packs, 2 are story based.

I though this was an excellent game, very engaging story and really enjoyable game play, although not everything was an definite improvement over Metro 2033. Gets a solid 8.5/10 from me.

I'll definitely be giving it a nod in the Game awards nominations at the end of the year. :)

Yeah same here, thoroughly enjoyed it. I wonder what the canon will be in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Kind of half regretting re-reading the book while playing the second game now, boundaries blurring etc some scenes from the game copied from the 1st book but artyoms roll reversed in thoes parts like the bit with
    Pavel and the 4th Reich
    reminded me of a similar scene from the book where it was
    actually artyom in the noose

Loving all the little converstions you can stop and listen too along the way, going all out stealth no human kills so far but they have gone the opposite of the 1st game and now it's too easy, little things like when you are in the dark the enemies seem to have no collision detection at all if you bump into them while sneaking up on them for a knockout they don't get alerted :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Playing it on Hardcore and finding it nowhere near as hard as the first game. I've only died 3 times and 2 of them was because I missed picking up gas filters.

Still, hunting in the dark is really satisfying.

• Advertisement

Pushtrak wrote: »
    They have a season pass which I think is out now. 1200 MS/15 euros or so I think. It'll have 4 packs, 2 are story based.

yeah covers it here: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/05/23/metro-ll-getting-a-metric-ton-of-single-player-dlc/

Advertisement