Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metro: Last Light

Options
  • 01-03-2013 8:43pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Doesn't appear to be any thread on this game yet, anyway posting this mainly because post THQ bankruptcy, Deep Silver have finally announced the new release date for Metro: Last light.

The new release date is May 17th in Europe, and in truth it is probably a wise decision because it no longer clashes with Bioshock Infinite, which is sure to be a massive seller
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/01/metro-last-light-release-date-announced-arrives-in-may/

And sigh of relief. While the various new owners of THQ’s properties were always going to forge ahead with those games already close to completion, there’s something about seeing a firm, solid release plan that takes the edge off the uncertainty that’s plagued the period. Today, Deep Silver announce that Metro: Last Light will launch May 14th in America and May 17th through Europe.

While any release date is great news, it’s still a delay from the original planned March launch. Koch Media CEO Dr. Klemens Kundratitz explains the delay: “The new release date is the ideal way to strike the balance between bringing the best out of Metro: Last Light and not keep the fans waiting longer than necessary. We won’t leave that time unexploited and will work closely together with 4A Games to make the game even better. It will receive all the attention it deserves.”

Posting fairly old Trailer just for anyone who doesn't know much about the game. :)

Although not without flaws I really enjoyed the first one so, I am definately looking forward to this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Had a great time with 2033. Been looking forward to this one for a long time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Again another oldish video, Not really spoilers, few missions revealed but no major plot points. It gives a nice overview of the refinement to the AI and stealth gameplay mechanics, which I think look very promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Picked up Metro when it was going free a few months back. It had it's problems (the AI was all over the place at times, ranging from stupid to Robocop aiming) but I really liked the game, it's atmospheric tone was right up my alley.

It was nice to play a FPS that wasn't military-based and set in America once in a while. I liked the fact that you had buddies during scenarios, not leaving absolutely everything up to you and making you feel more involved in the universe of the game.

Bioshock and this are on the top of the list of games I'm looking forward to in the coming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Minimum

Windows: XP (32-Bit), Vista, 7 or 8
    CPU: 2.2 GHz Dual Core e.g. Intel Core 2 Duo
    RAM: 2GB
    Direct X: 9.0c
    Graphics Card: DirectX 9, Shader Model 3 compliant e.g. NVIDIA GTS 250 (or AMD equivalent e.g. HD Radeon 4000 series) or higher
    For 3D Vision Support:

NVIDIA GTX 275 or higher
    120Hz Monitor
    NVIDIA 3D Vision kit for Windows Vista, 7 or 8
    Recommended

Windows: Vista, 7 or 8
    CPU: 2.6 GHz Quad Core e.g. Intel Core i5
    RAM: 4GB
    Direct X: 11
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GTX 580/660 Ti (or AMD equivalent e.g. 7870) or higher
    For 3D Vision Support:

NVIDIA GTX 580/660Ti or higher
    120Hz Monitor
    Optimum

Windows: Vista, 7 or 8
    CPU: 3.4 GHz Multi-Core e.g. Intel Core i7
    RAM: 8GB
    Direct X: 11
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GTX 690 / NVIDIA Titan
    For 3D Vision Support:

NVIDIA GTX 690
    120Hz Monitor

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-04-18-metro-last-light-pc-system-requirements-revealed

I should be fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Even Original metro 2033 is still quite a great benchmark for a PC. This should still make a good few systems cry. Hopefully my one wont cry too much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Apparently, it's available now to be pre-loaded on Steam.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Review embargo is up on Monday I've heard, a few days before release which is usually not a bad sign.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,100 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Apparently, it's available now to be pre-loaded on Steam.

It is, and it's 7.8 gigs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

marco_polo wrote: »
    Review embargo is up on Monday I've heard, a few days before release which is usually not a bad sign.

Apparently it got an
    in the latest issue of Edge. Metro 2033 got a 6 by them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well, bull****. I had respect for having done a great job on original metro, but this is just taking a piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Spear wrote: »
    It is, and it's 7.8 gigs.

That all? Pretty small considering some recent titles.

Well, bull****. I had respect for having done a great job on original metro, but this is just taking a piss.

In 2033, it was a DLC too. Deep Silver have talked about why they included it as a pre order. It'll also be included in the first run of the game.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/79148/retail-forced-deep-silver-to-charge-5-for-metro-last
    Available for free with pre-ordered copies of the game, Koch Media global brand manager Huw Beynon explained that "offering game content as a pre-order exclusive is a requirement by retail."

"Game makers and publishers now live in a world where offering game content as a pre-order exclusive is a requirement by retail, and Ranger Mode seemed like the best choice since it was a mode for hardcore fans who would most likely pre-order the game, or purchase it at launch in any case," he told PC Gamer. The alternatives were to make story content exclusive for pre-orders or to make ranger mode a timed exclusive--both options were rejected.

Gamers that don't pre-order the game will have to shell out $5 for the extra mode, a policy that Deep Silver says isn't of their own doing. According to Beynon, "the lowest 1st Parties would permit us to charge for content of this nature" was $5.

Edit: Ok... The video included that...

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Pre-ordered from G2play for €27 got a free copy of the original Metro 2033 which I guess I'll just give away as I already have it. Doesn't include that DLC but frankly I couldn't care less.

Don't really have a problem with the DLC myself, its not like it is an exclusive limited to any particular retailer.

EDIT:

Second magazine review score in
    /10 from Official playstation magazine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Can't wait, I'm re-reading the 1st book for the 1st time since it came out and am now going to be scared poopless even looking at a dark tunnel :o

Reading it too but end of 1st game is now moot if you chose the nice guy ending.

It isn't that long back that I read 2033, near the end of last year. Apparently, 2034 will be released in English at some point.

Edit: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=539541556092227&set=a.423213051058412.95037.386549701391414&type=1

Just looked up for more info on what was going on with the English translation. Posted less than 40 minutes ago at the time of my posting...
    The first chapter of METRO 2034 has just been translated into English and will be tomorrow available on Amazon.com for $0.99!

The translation is taking months longer than expected so it was decided to go for a chapter by chapter publication for the meanwhile...

Also, dreamers... A game that has two possible endings, and a sequel. One ending has to be canon, and one has to not be. I've seen someone post elsewhere it should have carried over whatever your ending was. That would be cool, but that would be an unbelievable amount of work. Also, the guy who wrote the books is the main creative guy behind the story of the books and games, so it's pretty obvious he'd want the story to be going with his vision.

Pushtrak wrote: »

Also, dreamers... A game that has two possible endings, and a sequel. One ending has to be canon, and one has to not be. I've seen someone post elsewhere it should have carried over whatever your ending was. That would be cool, but that would be an unbelievable amount of work. Also, the guy who wrote the books is the main creative guy behind the story of the books and games, so it's pretty obvious he'd want the story to be going with his vision.

Oh i know its nitpicking but if you invested time into being the good guy it was all wasted, it would be a good gaming strategy if your game continued as you left but as you said it wont be canon.

I think in hindsight they shouldnt have the nice guy option in 1st game. But its nit picking doesnt affect my pre order whatsoever :D

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Oh i know its nitpicking but if you invested time into being the good guy it was all wasted, it would be a good gaming strategy if your game continued as you left but as you said it wont be canon.
    I'm a replay-a-holic so I like the having two endings, to be honest.
    I think in hindsight they shouldnt have the nice guy option in 1st game. But its nit picking doesnt affect my pre order whatsoever :D
    Honestly, I'm thinking it plausible we'll see a repetition of it in Last Light. And assuming people actually buy the game, and don't abandon it in droves because of their approach to the Ranger Mode DLC.

Edit: Interview about the game cane be found here. Audio only.

http://www.puresophistry.com/2013/05/11/metro-last-light-interview-why-it-revolutionizes-the-shooter-mentality/

• Advertisement

If anyone is interested in a rough indicator of approximate PC performance at different detail levels, I found this scan of a German magazine on the Last light forums with some GTX 670 numbers.

http://images.gameru.net/image/direct/466ee4921a.jpg

Review round up: http://banglagamer.com/content.php?5218-Metro-Last-Light-Review-Round-up

GamesTM -
    8/10
    Edge -
    8/10
    OPM -
    9/10
    PC Gamer -
    80/100
    Mirror.co.uk -
    4/5

I don't know if any of ye actually need the score spoilered like that, but just in case...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Su-poib

Really enjoyed Metro and it's atmosphere. Only thing I thought that needed improvement was the AI, they ranged from idiot to Terminator-vision that could spot you in the dark a 100ft away and hit you with impeccable aiming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

If STALKER has taught me anything it's that Post Nuclear Russians are crack shots and can hit the tiniest part of your head leaning out from a wall from over 200 meters away with basic assault rifles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Ive finished 2033 maybe...6 or 7 times. Possibly 10 times. The most recent being this weekend :D So yeah, im a bit hyped for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

out friday is it?

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Nvidia have new beta drivers out (320.14) with performance improvements for this game.

Can be got from this site.
    http://www.geforce.com/

http://steamcommunity.com/app/43160/discussions/0/810924134054557610/
    INFORMATION UPDATE TIME!

The Steam unlock is schedule as follows.

North America, Australia, and New Zealand:
    9 PM Pacific Time, midnight Eastern Time (12 AM, May 14)

Rest of the world:
    Midnight or 12 AM/0:00 CET on Friday (or Thursday night if you wish)

Digital Comic Book

If you pre-purchased via Steam directly, you will get a code from Steam once it unlocks, which you can enter here: https://digital.darkhorse.com/metro/

The comic book can be read in your browser, or using the Dark Horse Comics app for Android and iOS.

You should also be able to find the key/code under LINKS on the right-hand side of your Metro: Last Light page of your Library, after it unlocks.

If you pre-ordered via GMG or other digital retailers, they will supply you with a code themselves.

Digital Metro 2033 novel for U.S. customers

This is exclusive for the U.S. due to the fact that the book distribution rights in the U.S. are owned by the author Dmitry Glukhovsky himself (he self-publishes Metro 2033 there), and he was kind enough to allow us to give it away.

You can find the digital novel in English as a PDF in \Steam\steamapps\common\Metro Last Light\novel once it unlocks.

ATI card owners

ATI cards don't run NVIDIA PhysX very well in Metro: Last Light. A shocking surprise, I know. If you encounter lower than expected framerates, try turning off Advanced PhysX under Game Options in the options menu, before tweaking any of the other video options.

Video options

Resolution
    Quality (Low, Normal, High, Very High)
    SSAA (Auto, Off, 0.5x, 2x, 3x, 4x)
    Texture Filtering (AF 4x, 16x)
    Motion Blur (Low, Normal)
    Tesselation (Off, Normal, High, Very High)
    VSYNC (On, off)

Can I run it?

Generally a good i5 with a 580 (or ATI equivalent) or above should have no problem on 1080p. Higher specs are better, of course. A Titan is only for max settings on higher-end resolutions like 2650x1600.

Ranger Mode and the Limited Edition

Ranger Mode as part of the Limited Edition for Metro: Last Light was something that was decided last year by the former publisher, and which has been active for pre-order (outside of Steam which tends to start pre-purchase closer to launch) since that time. By the time Deep Silver took over publishing duties, changing that within the time left to getting the game ready release was no longer an option.

As long as the first batch of Limited Editions for any platform are in stores, you will be able to get Ranger Mode for free. A pre-order simply guarantees you one of these Limited Editions. Ranger Mode as DLC like this is not something we would have chosen to do, had we have been in charge of publishing this title from the start.

What we were able to do is add the digital comic book “The Gospel According to Artyom” -- written by Metro 2033 author Dmitry Glukhovsky in collaboration with Dark Horse Comics -- to pre-orders as well as a 10% discount for Steam owners of Metro 2033, and the digital novel for U.S. customers.

What is Ranger Mode anyway, really?
    If you don’t know what Ranger Mode is: it’s a mode for Rangers. Original Mode has three difficulties (Easy, Normal, and Hardcore) and in Metro: Last Light, Ranger Mode has two (Ranger Normal and Ranger Hardcore). Fans of Metro 2033 who have completed Ranger Mode on Ranger Easy (1.5% of Steam owners) and Ranger Hardcore (1.7% of Steam owners) often consider Ranger Hardcore to be easier than the regular Hardcore mode, due to the way damage is increased for both the player and all enemies; provided you have the skills to survive, you can take down enemies faster.

Ranger Normal has a limited UI, while Ranger Hardcore has no UI at all. This is why it is recommended for new players to start in Original Mode so you know which key does what. But if you are a Metro veteran playing with mouse and keyboard, I think you can figure it out.

Both Ranger Mode difficulties change the damage output for everything, limit how much ammo and Military Grade Rounds you find in the world, limit how long air filters and battery power last, increases the rate of gas mask fogging, and limits the amount of weapons you can carry to 2. It also increases the amount of throwing knives you can carry to 10.

Bonus weapons
    The Russian AKSU weapon and 100 Military Grade Rounds are only available in Ranger Mode, but can be discarded at will to tailor your personal playthrough difficulty to your own taste. Shoot all your MGRs into a wall if you don't want them; it can be very cathartic!

The RPK pre-order weapon can be accessed in either mode if you got it by pre-ordering at a retailer that offered it.

I got a code with my Nvidia card, what kind of code is it?
    The codes bundles with Nvidia cards are Standard Editions and not Limited Editions.

I hope this provides some additional information to those who have had different questions recently, and I hope that everyone who has been waiting for Metro: Last Light to release will enjoy the game once it is finally in your hands after the delays and the many years of waiting!

[Edit: updated with Nvidia card bundle info]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Totalbiscuit review:
    havent watched it all, but it does contain a few spoilers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Kind of lousy having Ranger mode, which according to the devs is 'The way it was meant to be played', as a pre-order exclusive. I'd prefer to play through in that mode, but i won't be buying it at launch.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/05/10/if-metro-last-light-ranger-mode-is-the-way-it-was-meant-to-be-played-why-isnt-it-included-for-all-players-we-ask-koch/

Advertisement