Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford Airport

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

Its not BMI they would have restriction's on the ERJ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,756 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

air2000 wrote: »
    Ah now guys do spill!! Flybe r not to be?

Not Flybe, they currently do not operate in Ireland or UK. Possibility aircraft type might have restrictions operating into Waterford wont know until they run the figures or dump out some seats:D

Your such a tease.....!

You could at least tell the type of aircraft? assume because of restrictions are we looking at some sort o jet over a turboprop?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 air2000

Nothing like being a tease... lol

Can't say type as you would name the airline straight away. At least its something reasonable and not an old Fokker 50

air2000 wrote: »
    Nothing like being a tease... lol

Can't say type as you would name the airline straight away. At least its something reasonable and not an old Fokker 50

I see but will the aircraft make an appearance next week with people from the carrier in WAT or are they getting their another way.

At least it will be a decent aircraft on the route if all goes well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    I see but will the aircraft make an appearance next week with people from the carrier in WAT or are they getting their another way.

At least it will be a decent aircraft on the route if all goes well.

Ah now, everyone seems to know except me!!!! Someone give a name!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 me leg

Earlier in the week I heard the name Minoan Air as a possible operator. The have recently started Oxford to Dublin with a F50. Any possibility of this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

me leg wrote: »
    Earlier in the week I heard the name Minoan Air as a possible operator. The have recently started Oxford to Dublin and EDI with a F50. Any possibility of this?

Was thinking that myself, good route to startup but i highly doubt it. They would want to fly out of Oxford i'd say, we need a proper London airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mart101

Any further info on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Earlier in the week I heard the name Minoan Air as a possible operator. The have recently started Oxford to Dublin with a F50. Any possibility of this?

I found this elsewhere.
    http://www.oxfordairport.co.uk/airport_news/news.htm#minoan_statement

So I doubt its them.

• Advertisement

http://www.businessandleadership.com/leadership/item/42921-desmond-oflynn-appointed-c

Hopefully some good news within next few weeks/months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

As much as I hate to open up a closed thread, I must say I've taken a small challenge upon myself. I've been in contact with Cityjet and British Airways about flights to London, to no avail so far. I've assumed Aer Lingus still aren't interested in returning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

There's been discussion about this over on prrune many times I think, and they seem to think a new London route from someone is inevitable.

fr336 wrote: »
    There's been discussion about this over on prrune many times I think, and they seem to think a new London route from someone is inevitable.
    Of course it's inevitable, I plan on speeding the process up. Cityjet seem disinterested, but BA were recently contacted, I've given them any info they could want on WAT's potential.

Don't mean to sound rude, but I doubt that any of your efforts would mean anything.

If airlines were interested it would be in place 2 years ago.

While I agree it is badly needed and no one would be more happier than me to see it reinstated, I believe it could be a few months/years before it can happen again. I do know that the crowd they were talking to a few months back are no longer interested, but there is new talks ongoing I believe with at least one potential carrier.

Why did EI pull it in the first place, my mum living in Luton is still always on about the decision. Hates Dublin, Waterford was the stuff of dreams for her.

• Advertisement

Why did EI pull it in the first place, my mum living in Luton is still always on about the decision. Hates Dublin, Waterford was the stuff of dreams for her.

While the loads were great and seemed to be profitable, EI felt they could make more money by basing the aircraft elsewhere. Biggest mistake the airport ever done was move to SEN. They should have pressed Stobart to reinstate LTN as the main service and have the aircraft flight twice daily, instead of it being in the afternoon. Been discussed to death so would rather not open the topic up again.

Apologies to bring it back up but who made the mistake of moving to SEN? I bet there's no Irish pubs in Southend ;)

Apologies to bring it back up but who made the mistake of moving to SEN? I bet there's no Irish pubs in Southend ;)

Stobart.

Seeing as they own the airport; when they got the stake in RE they put on services to WAT & GWY at LTN's expense.

Aha!! I did not know that, thanks b757. What a joke. And people call FR bad. I guess the likelihood of them lot reinstating it is slim then.

Does anyone think that FR would have genuine interest in Waterford if the runway was lengthened? Would it worth a 737 even then?

• Advertisement

Yeah, basically threw about 8 years of hard work and some sort of success out the window in a matter of months.
    Does anyone think that FR would have genuine interest in Waterford if the runway was lengthened? Would it worth a 737 even then?

I would assume so, look at Kerry & Knock. Seem to be doing pretty well.

It's a lovely airport is Waterford, mainly because there's hardly anything to it and you've got hardly anything in your way once you get on the road :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

It has to happen sooner or later, the South East needs an airport, there has to be an alternative to Dublin and Cork.
    The pity I guess is the lack of population and of employment in the area.
    However, at least there are some who are making an effort for Waterford Airport.
    I was under the impression that the lengthening of the runway was just a matter of course, I am hoping to see Waterford on Flight Rada.r

b757 wrote: »
    Don't mean to sound rude, but I doubt that any of your efforts would mean anything.

If airlines were interested it would be in place 2 years ago.

While I agree it is badly needed and no one would be more happier than me to see it reinstated, I believe it could be a few months/years before it can happen again. I do know that the crowd they were talking to a few months back are no longer interested, but there is new talks ongoing I believe with at least one potential carrier.
    I wouldn't be too surprised if FlyBe started flights from London City or Southend in Spring 2015. They have a presence in there, and their dipping their feet in either airport. If the demand is there, they'll expand soon.

Any ideas on when the runway may be lengthened foxcoverteddy? Ryanair may be interested then, or even someone with an Airbus if it wouldn't quite fit Ryanair's Boeings.

man98 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be too surprised if FlyBe started flights from London City or Southend in Spring 2015. They have a presence in there, and their dipping their feet in either airport. If the demand is there, they'll expand soon.

Would London City be a good fit for Waterford? Come on Luton please :cool:

Would London City be a good fit for Waterford? Come on Luton please :cool:
    While LCY may not be the best place, the days of ATR 42s and 72s in Luton are gone unfortunately and on a quick check, only easyJet would go near the airport. Stansted is a pain as it's so far out and FlyBe never bothered flying Gatwick - Waterford, I doubt it would be overly economic. That leaves Heathrow, Southend and City Airports unless someone sets up a new airline.

Would it really be on easyJet's radar? I know they're Airbus but I only think smaller airlines and FR because they're Irish.

Why do you think there will be no more ATRs at Luton?

Would it really be on easyJet's radar? I know they're Airbus but I only think smaller airlines and FR because they're Irish.

Why do you think there will be no more ATRs at Luton?

I don't think it's under easyjet's radar. I looked at Wikipedia and came to the conclusion that only they could fly to WAT realistically. While looking at Luton destinations I noticed all flights were at least A319s, and with no prospective airlines with ATRs, Fokkers or Dash 8s WAT's between a rock and a hard place. This is why IMO it's a market for Cityjet or BA Cityflyer to take, as both are relatively small with STOL jets.

To state the obvious, Aer Arann / Aer Lingus operated ATRs from Luton to Waterford. For years. Stopping that service is why we are where we are re Luton and London in general.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Stobart have an option they must exercise very soon on four more ATR's and they are actively looking at routes, WAT is being looked at into Southend but how seriously I can't really say, as the industry is always rife with rumours!, suppose it's all that time just sitting there watching instruments with fa to do.

London is the de facto capital of the world at the moment and will be for sometime. Having a link to it is vital for the South East economy. Lets hope someone takes it on sooner rather than later.

London is the de facto capital of the world at the moment and will be for sometime. Having a link to it is vital for the South East economy. Lets hope someone takes it on sooner rather than later.

It is? I mean it's great and all and one of the best capital cities if not the best mainly, but....

It is? I mean it's great and all and one of the best capital cities if not the best mainly, but....

Every business thats global has a base there, basically the financial services capital etc...
    Not to mention that the mega rich from around the world are pouring money into the place often in property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Would love to see the London route up and running again, Southend was lovely, 25 mins on the train to Central London, and my friend lives 2 stops from Southend!

I know so many people miss it terribly, I flew it regularly and saw quite a few businessmen on it every time.

25 mins Southend to central London? REALLY?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭BowWow

25 mins Southend to central London? REALLY?

per Southend website its 53 Minutes from airport To Liverpool St Station

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Waterford has a link to London - just drive a couple of hours up to Dublin and you've got a choice of five airports on the second-busiest route in the world. All this harping back to the good old days of Aer Arann serves no purpose because for all that it was only a decade ago, it was a completely different era.

If a WAT-London route is to work, someone (or several someones) in Waterford have to give the airlines a dozen good reasons why someone (anyone) would want to fly direct to that particular city. I've been asking that question of the Waterford population for nearly two years and so far the response has been ... ... ... :confused:

So as of the end of July, that's (approximately) 12000 inbound passengers that have (effectively) been told to feck off somewhere else (and they have, mostly up to Dublin). What's "vital for the South East economy" is that the people of Waterford start promoting the city/county as a place worth visiting, not looking for a faster way to get to London.

What on earth CelticRambler?? The London-Waterford Aer Arann services were not a decade ago, they were last running a few years ago I think maybe two or three or even less than that! Jeez.

ETA: Aer Arann closed the route in November 2012. Less than two years ago.

The rest of your post I can't be bothered with. This was a successful, profitable route. The reasons behind it stopping seem to amount to more wide ranging commercial interests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

What on earth CelticRambler?? The London-Waterford Aer Arann services were not a decade ago, they were last running a few years ago I think maybe two or three or even less than that! Jeez.

ETA: Aer Arann closed the route in November 2012. Less than two years ago.

The rest of your post I can't be bothered with. This was a successful, profitable route. The reasons behind it stopping seem to amount to more wide ranging commercial interests.

The route was stopped as the aircraft was needed to operate for Aer Lingus regional. Now that Stobart is running the show I can imagine if it is viable then they will run a route to Southend - possibly under the Flybe franchise - its win-win for them - flying people to their airport on their aircraft.

I'm aware Aer Lingus Regional operated the London route, but I can't find the announcement for it, although I did find these:
    Waterford Airport boss highlighted a particular frustration that Aer Arann reduced services on what he described as “the consistently high-performing” London Luton route in favour of developing at London Southend" that implies the route remained profitable until January 2013.
    " The Southend route performed poorly by comparison so that even a major marketing push by Waterford Airport and our partners could not fully mitigate this switch,” for me implies Southend dragged them down as they were forced into it Stobart. Maybe without cronies an airline could roll it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

The moving of Aer Arann flights from London Luton to London Southend led to the closing of Galway Airport, the load figures with Aer Arann from Galway to Luton were over 90% occupancy, then Stobart came in and moved the operation to Southend which at that time did not even have a rail link to London, the passengers did not want to go to Southend so they went to Knock and Shannon for flights leaving the Southend flight from Galway operating with just a few on board. its a tragedy all round that this happened.

Aerohead wrote: »
    The moving of Aer Arann flights from London Luton to London Southend led to the closing of Galway Airport, the load figures with Aer Arann from Galway to Luton were over 90% occupancy, then Stobart came in and moved the operation to Southend which at that time did not even have a rail link to London, the passengers did not want to go to Southend so they went to Knock and Shannon for flights leaving the Southend flight from Galway operating with just a few on board. its a tragedy all round that this happened.
    And tell me, have they started to demolish Galway Airport yet? I'm just interested that a busy airport in 2007 collapsed within 7 years.

Loads were good but not that high, remember they pulled London from GWY before WAT which says a lot.

man98 wrote: »
    And tell me, have they started to demolish Galway Airport yet? I'm just interested that a busy airport in 2007 collapsed within 7 years.

Galway Airport re-opening in the next two weeks

• Advertisement

The passengers should have stook around, the trains from Southend are better into Central London than from Luton. Friend of mine much prefers Southend but then they pulled the Waterford connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Galway Airport re-opening in the next two weeks

Wishful thinking or do you have something to support this claim?

Also what level of service do you expect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

The passengers should have stook around, the trains from Southend are better into Central London than from Luton. Friend of mine much prefers Southend but then they pulled the Waterford connection.

I'd agree with you. I think the issue is that the flights were moved before the station was open and there were bus transfers to Southend, then the trains were going to Liverpool Street and Fenchurch Street at random!

I used the route a fair bit up to its (hopefully temporary) demise.

I'd agree with you. I think the issue is that the flights were moved before the station was open and there were bus transfers to Southend, then the trains were going to Liverpool Street and Fenchurch Street at random!

I used the route a fair bit up to its (hopefully temporary) demise.

One of many reasons. SEN is good for people who want central London but not good for REs customer base in London.

Given that EI have had enough on DUB it really puts SEN into prospective.

Wishful thinking or do you have something to support this claim?

Also what level of service do you expect?

Not sure why you are so anti Galway Airport with your remarks

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/galway-airport-to-reopen-for-corporate-jets-and-flight-training-30460580.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement