Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polish and East Europeans would you do it again?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

My wife is Eastern European. I have Roma friends from her country of origin, not Romania.
    I've employed Romanians and other eastern Europeans who worked harder than my Irish staff.
    I have Irish travellers married into my family.
    Saying all that, there are good and bad eggs everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Arpa

Ranicand wrote: »
    Polish people that have stayed seem to have really fit into the Irish culture.

Nope they haven't. How many Polish friends do you have? Still insular people, for which I don't blame them, I would be the same in Poland, but there's no point pretending we're all great mates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Arpa wrote: »
    Nope they haven't. How many Polish friends do you have? Still insular people, for which I don't blame them, I would be the same in Poland, but there's no point pretending we're all great mates.

Some are, some aren't. Like everyone else.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I disagree, I think they have integrated extremely well into a quite different culture. I have many good, close Polish friends. I think the post directly above yours is also a bit of indication of how well they've integrated, so quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Quite a few although I have to admit I've met most of them through my kid's school and my brother in law's fiancee who hails from there.
    Do not attempt to drink vodka with Polish people, you will regret it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Im in a rural town with a heavy eastern european contingency so deal with these people daily and my experiences are that in general just like us most are hardworking honest people. They do stick together though and dont really mix with irish socially ive had no bad experiences and consider them lovely people to be honest:)
    The only problem ive had is that quite a few are reckless drivers not so much speed but careless pulling out infront of you kind of reckless.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,510 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

That's true, I see the same thing where I work.

It's a mix of Polish and Hungarian, We all get ok well together but they seem to prefer to work with their own group rather than with us.

Also outside work they would have their own house parties etc.

It's only natural I suppose that people would stick with people they know in another country.

The Roma are another story though, they contribute nothing to the country and seem to just want to come over and beg on the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Nodin wrote: »
    Romanians and Roma are not the same thing. Nor are Roma exclusively located in Romania. Please try to be aware of some basic facts before coming out with your bile.

+1,000,000

It's so f**king lazy when people constantly link Romani people with Romania.

I actually cringe when I hear the association of the two because its usually basically down to the fact that both words look and sound similar.

For the record Romani people only make up around 3% of the entire population of Romania and there are more Roma living in Spain and Bulgaria for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭elefant

VEN wrote: »
    The poster is saying they have Roma beggars, they're not suggesting as you'd wish to think that Romanians are the beggars regardless of the fact Romania contains the largest amount of them. Put your little wicked racist pointing stick back, you ain't getting fed here today.

But the point is, surely, that he claimed Romanians shouldn't be welcome in Ireland (or can never fit in here), and is very mistaken in being anti-Romanian on account of Roms.

As far as I know Romani have no connection with Romanian whatsoever apart from similiar spelling and some happen to reside there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Is there a petition or something that I can sign to get more Eastern European women back in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

About 4 or 5. Just because you don't have any Polish friends doesn't mean nobody else does.

No, I'm certainly not friends with every single Polish person in Ireland, but then again I'm not friends with every single Irish person either.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

We had similar thread here before, though my answer is prety much the same.

I live in Ireland for 8++ years now. I came here with 100eu in my pocket and no where to go back and no job.
    If not coming to Ireland I might be living under the bridge now. I got such a huge chance to make a very nice life for myself here. I am still very thankful to Ireland and I call it my home. If there will be world war 3 I will fight under the Irish flag. This country managed to give me more at the hard moment in my life, then the country where I was born.
    Now don't understands wrong, I still haven't taken a penny from Irish social welfare, in 8 years i haven't claimed a single benefit. i pay all the taxes like anyone else too.I am thankful to Ireland for giving me a chance to get a normal job, earn money and live a decent life.
    Me and misses are not swimming in money. We got low paid jobs, but it is enough to a fair and decent living.
    Even now when Ireland is in financial trouble it is still hundred times better then the hole I came from. You could only dream about 180eu dole and rent allowances back there. If you unemployed there, them here is 50eu per month, though shiet, go get a job. Even to get that little you will need to go over a sea of paperwork.

People who bitch and moan how bad ireland is should be dumped to Eastern Europe to live for few months. They will come back and kiss Irish land. In Eastern Europe its all about surviving, not living.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Ah they are al a great bunch of lads .

We need more brazilans arge.ntinians and a few more spanish before we have a decent footie team , and we hear about fernando murphy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

Shenshen wrote: »
    About 4 or 5. Just because you don't have any Polish friends doesn't mean nobody else does.

No, I'm certainly not friends with every single Polish person in Ireland, but then again I'm not friends with every single Irish person either.

But you're not irish yourself either are you. You'd be more naturally inclined to become friends with others who share the experience of moving here as opposed to being born here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

People who bitch and moan how bad ireland is should be dumped to Eastern Europe to live for few months. They will come back and kiss Irish land. In Eastern Europe its all about surviving, not living.
    +1000 Well said SH. There are many places in this world like that. Within "old" western Europe too. Greece and the Greek people are in real trouble. Half of all Spanish young people are unemployed and the country itself is looking well shaky. In both those countries there are people, ordinary men and women, going through bins to survive. In Greece parents are even handing up their kids to authorities and charities cos they can't afford to feed them. Crazy. Portugal which seems to be off the media radar isn't looking to great either. I'd say watch this space on that score. If it goes further down watch Spain really suffer.

IMHO We have become quite cosseted, soft even on that score. Yes there can be real hardship here, ask anyone who volunteers for the St Vincent DePaul, but overall we have a damn nice country here, with a lot of social safety nets in place. Now nowhere is perfect and god knows we're not and we have some work to do, but Ireland really doesn't deserve the self hate of some of it's people to the degree it often gets.

As for Eastern European folks, Ive bumped into a fair few over the years. Never had an issue with any TBH. "Hard workers" is a phrase I hear regularly about them(similar said about the Chinese folks here too). I found them very freindly myself, particularly the Poles and Romanians I've met. I've found Russians to be a little more stand offish, but that's just me and a very narrow sample group. I would add though that the term "Eastern European" covers a lot of ground and different cultures and attitudes. It's like when people say "Africans are X". Which Africans, where are they from? Ditto with Eastern European folks. The fact that so many can't tell the bloody difference between Roma and Romanian says it all.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I work with a Romanian software engineer. And he hates what the poster is talking about, he hates the way Romanians over here have been tarred with the same brush, just because their 'travellers' came over here.

Can we set up an exchange programme & send over some of ours to Romania?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

I can't understand people from Eastern Europe that came to Ireland and had work in the boom, but lost employment in the recession. A lot of them have stayed on in Ireland even after being unemployed for the last 3-4 years. I've friends from longford and it seems that it's full of long term unemployed Eastern European people, that have no intention of going home. Why stay somewhere you have no chance of getting a job. It doesn't make sense.

Better standard of life here on the dole then back home on the dole, simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Polish are happier here than most Irish, and its a myth that they all left. some left, but some are still coming also. there is however, an absolutely huge polish presence here and now, always will be.

they all have settled here now, have jobs and have families and by in large, are very happy here. the alternative back home, is very little.
    not yet wrote: »
    Better standard of life here on the dole then back home on the dole, simple as that.

the dole in Poland is absolutely useless to them. they get a minimum payment for 6-12 months and if they dont find a job, they get nothing. should be like that here, especially for those who dont want to work.

johnr1 wrote: »
    But you're not irish yourself either are you. You'd be more naturally inclined to become friends with others who share the experience of moving here as opposed to being born here.

Well, by that logic, I should probably also be friends with some Nigerians and Asians... And I have to admit that while I've worked with a few and always got on grand, I found it far, far more difficult to get to know them on a more personal level and start friendships with them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

Unlike many Irish that have gone overseas people from the East of Europe have come to a country that has a different language.

Are service jobs in a depressed economy worth been away from your family and you native culture?

Would any people who have been here a number of years like to tell the board what their experience of working and living here has been like.

In particular I would like to hear what the perception of Ireland was vs the reality.

Also the cost of living here is very high I can only imagine this came as a shock to many?

Lastly was leaving home a worth it or just something that had to be done?

Edit I would also like to hear from Irish that have gone to Canada and Australia about their experience.
    The Irish in Oz need to speak in a calm and slow fashion. Leave the GAA jerseys at home. Cause less fights and stop looking like extras from Killnscully or Mrs Browns Boys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

We had similar thread here before, though my answer is prety much the same.

I live in Ireland for 8++ years now. I came here with 100eu in my pocket and no where to go back and no job.
    If not coming to Ireland I might be living under the bridge now. I got such a huge chance to make a very nice life for myself here. I am still very thankful to Ireland and I call it my home. If there will be world war 3 I will fight under the Irish flag. This country managed to give me more at the hard moment in my life, then the country where I was born.
    Now don't understands wrong, I still haven't taken a penny from Irish social welfare, in 8 years i haven't claimed a single benefit. i pay all the taxes like anyone else too.I am thankful to Ireland for giving me a chance to get a normal job, earn money and live a decent life.
    Me and misses are not swimming in money. We got low paid jobs, but it is enough to a fair and decent living.
    Even now when Ireland is in financial trouble it is still hundred times better then the hole I came from. You could only dream about 180eu dole and rent allowances back there. If you unemployed there, them here is 50eu per month, though shiet, go get a job. Even to get that little you will need to go over a sea of paperwork.

And you're very welcome.

I'm Irish living in another European country. The other day an oldish lady called me dickhead foreigner and was told to leave the country. This was the second time. I was in tears. I got a true insight into how it feels to simply be hated for being foreign. I pay taxes, am an EU citizen and ironically, was sitting in a cafe studying the local lingo doing my very best to integrate and this bitch comes along and makes a judgement about me based on nothing. I'm blonde and white and I can't imagine what it must be like for those more obviously "foreign". It was one of the nastiest experiences of my life.

Even if I was a supposed "scrounger", nobody deserves to be treated like that.

And I've no doubt one of her grand children/children will have to emigrate themselves as this country is even more fooked than our own. The irony of racism existing in countries where thousands leave themselves to find work - if someone can't see something as obvious as this, then they're are plain old thick.

We have absolutely zero right to complain.

Polish are happier here than most Irish, and its a myth that they all left. some left, but some are still coming also. there is however, an absolutely huge polish presence here and now, always will be.

they all have settled here now, have jobs and have families and by in large, are very happy here. the alternative back home, is very little.

the dole in Poland is absolutely useless to them. they get a minimum payment for 6-12 months and if they dont find a job, they get nothing. should be like that here, especially for those who dont want to work.

I agree with part of your post, I do believe that if you have worked for X amount of years you should get full wages for a pro rata amount of time....20years= 2, 10 years=1 on a sliding scale etc. But I do believe if you do not find work after this you should get a a tiny amount of welfare.

So many people are making lifestyle choices to stay on the dole for 5-10-15 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

On a lighter note, saw this written on a wall before,

Polish out!..(then someone had written underneath) but leave your women! (and written underneath again) and take ours with you!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,261 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

So many people are making lifestyle choices to stay on the dole for 5-10-15 years

Cite?

I think the 'professional welfare recipients' are a much smaller percentage of the total on welfare than is often made out on here, on TV3, etc.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Cite?

I think the 'professional welfare recipients' are a much smaller percentage of the total on welfare than is often made out on here, on TV3, etc.

I beg to differ, My own nephew has spent the last 12 years on the dole since turning 18. So all during the boom years when a deaf blind man could find work he sat on his arse, I personally know a handfull of people who have never worked,have no intention of working, and know every single payment they are entitled to.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,024 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It would be very interesting to see what would happen here if 400000 people got their dole cut off after twelve months, and there weren't any jobs available.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    It would be very interesting to see what would happen here if 400000 people got their dole cut off after twelve months, and there weren't any jobs available.

I've got a vague idea, which is why I personally have no problem paying taxes to keep the welfare system funded.

I don't fancy the idea of seeing more homelessness, more desperation, more hate and more crime.

One of the thing you tend to see in countries where the welfare system is very weak is people who have even a little bit having to arm themselves to the teeth in order to defend it... not a situation I'd be happy with at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

That is the trouble these days.

People will band around words like bigot and racist.

The fact is when I was a child having a child while not being married was shocking murder was rare drugs where less prevalent.

The everything goes culture has been a disaster.

But haven't you noticed that countries with higher proportions of atheists are almost exclusively safer with a lower crime rate than religious countries?

This is a first though, religion is often used to justify homophobia, but rarely racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

To be honest I don't really believe in the Christian thing in a factual way.

What I do agree with is the moral code it brings.

What we have now is a casual sex casual drug and murders every week.

People use to think they would go to Hell if they did these things.

Theres nothing wrong with casual sex or drug use as long as its with consenting people and no one else is harmed.
    Thinking you would go to hell for such things is horrendous and i couldnt be happier that most people no longer believe that crap

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

I beg to differ, My own nephew has spent the last 12 years on the dole since turning 18. So all during the boom years when a deaf blind man could find work he sat on his arse, I personally know a handfull of people who have never worked,have no intention of working, and know every single payment they are entitled to.

1 person. Well that's better than any statistic. FFS. :rolleyes:

The poster asked for stats and you gave him your nephew as an example for the love of jaysus. Can't you see how plain stupid that is?

Advertisement