Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hare Coursing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭GoldCobra

Isn't it ironic how a poll is suddenly irrelevant when it doesn't go someones way.

It's irrelevant whether pro or anti coursing, Polls don't change minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

GoldCobra wrote: »
    Polls don't change minds.
    That's not the purpose of a poll, but of a petition, surely?
    Polls record; petitions try to convince.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 paddy the man

yubabill1 wrote: »
    UNTRUE.

The Irish red grouse population crashed when the british left and stopped maintaining the grouse moors. The population is still on the floor almost 100 years later.

Not much preservation going on there.
    Interesting, so without shooting the Red Grouse is pretty much finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭GoldCobra

Sparks wrote: »
    That's not the purpose of a poll, but of a petition, surely?
    Polls record; petitions try to convince.

Yes! I'm just highlighting the irrelevance of the poll in regards of changing opinion. someone people here seem hellbent on trying to change opinion but both sides seem to be secure in their points of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Reindeer wrote: »
    The rescue I volunteer for has taken in dozens of Coursing hounds in the last couple of months from this years batch, not to mention the dozens more from racing. There are a few good trainers that will hand over the hounds that do not make the cut or that do not earn them any money. Some are brought to us by folks whom have found them dumped in the country or cities. Some we are called out to that can barely lift their heads for having been abused or out in the cold too long without shelter or food. However, we almost never see young pups that haven't made the grade at all, and they often just cull/kill the wounded. Ireland is now one of the top, if not the top producers of Greyhounds in the world. Say what you want about the sport - it is a blood sport, and the hounds suffer horrendously for it. I see it every day of my life here in Ireland. Every damn day.

if it was'nt for field sports there'd be very few unwanted greyhounds in Ireland for you to rescue though. These noble princes of the field conserve our greyhound population at its high levels. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 shanboghted

for the people who dont understand coursing watch this video!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR2NYR64P2M

this is one of the greatest sports ever and hopefully wont be banned! its too important to clonmel and ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Let me be clearer then, you quoted my post which was in reply to a post saying farmers should be coursed. Your post contained nonsense in regard to the post I had quoted about coursing feeding the country.

But, you know all this, you're just trolling me.

Ah the trolling chestnut. Oh dear :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Reindeer wrote: »
    The rescue I volunteer for has taken in dozens of Coursing hounds in the last couple of months from this years batch, not to mention the dozens more from racing. There are a few good trainers that will hand over the hounds that do not make the cut or that do not earn them any money. Some are brought to us by folks whom have found them dumped in the country or cities. Some we are called out to that can barely lift their heads for having been abused or out in the cold too long without shelter or food. However, we almost never see young pups that haven't made the grade at all, and they often just cull/kill the wounded. Ireland is now one of the top, if not the top producers of Greyhounds in the world. Say what you want about the sport - it is a blood sport, and the hounds suffer horrendously for it. I see it every day of my life here in Ireland. Every damn day.

We rescued one (an ex racer)that had either been sold on on dumped. She was lucky her ears were still intact. They often cut them off so that they cannot be traced back. Ours was traceable back to a syndicate (somewhere in Saggart I believe). Of course we could not contact them, but it was interesting to note that as soon as she stopped performing well she ended up dumped.
    Thankfully there are a lot of private individuals who do fabulous rehabilitative work with them and have contacts in the UK for re-homing, where greyhound re-homing has higher rates than here. (in fact the woman who took her from us had intended to send her to the UK for re-homing but fell in love with her and kept her. She sent me pics a few months after. What a fab creature!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 paddy the man

for the people who dont understand coursing watch this video!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR2NYR64P2M

this is one of the greatest sports ever and hopefully wont be banned! its too important to clonmel and ireland.
    If it was just the single Course it wouldn't be too harmful to the hare (hares are not coursed more than once by dogs at meetings) since muzzling trauma injuries are quite low. My main problem which your video doesn't show is the whole package. The netting of Hares, transportation to Hare preserves, living in unnatural high densities, capture again to Coursing meeting and handling of Hares at meeting. There is a prolonged period of stress. Have there been any studies showing the breeding success of Hares post captivity?

Hare hunting with Beagles is a much more humane and impacts less severly on the Hare than Coursing since there is no prolonged period of captivity on the Hare. These hunting clubs do much habitat preservation and predator control to assist Hare numbers also.

One must point out however in the last 10 years the conditions in captivity have much improved. The Hares are feed well and recieve anthelmintic treatment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Cass wrote: »
    I can ramble with the best of them. :D

Correct. Nor would i refer to those opposed to hunting in any of it's form as such. When i use the word extremist i refer to the peopl so blinded by the fight they do not stop to consider the consequences. The oes that would endanger animals, and people to "strike a blow". They are extremists is every sense of the word.

I use the word anti, in a non derogatory way, to describe the general population of anti hunting people. People that dislike it, voice their dislike, but do not engage in such extremist methods to get their point across.

It has been done though, and not once. We find it as distasteful as you or anyone opposed to hunting being described as extremists.

As is your prerogative.

We do not support any activity without being fully informed or for the sake of a row/argument. We do so to defend a tradition, and way of life that while not liked by some, or pursued by others is non the less their legal right.

I would disagree with that sentiment. No one truly knows the opinions or beliefs of all people, however from my own perspective i would say that 90% of poeple i know, am related to, am friends with, have experienced some form of field sports.

I agree with the sentiment. Open, honest discussion is good, but it rarely lasts. Both sides defend their opinions/beliefs strongly, and this always boils over. However i would argue your point about estremists on pro shooting/hunting/coursing side. We do not force our will on others to the pint that we actively seek confrontation IRL. We do not send out unsolicited e-mails, tweets, letters to people's homes, businesses, etc. We do not threaten or damage goods, property, and so on.

Now i do not dare say this is the case with everyone opposed to such endeavours. Far from it. Most are calm, intelligent people able to put their point across in reasoned debate. However those that do act in such a manner destroy any forward movement you may gain or at the very least alienate and diminish the message you try to get across.

Emotive threads always have the potential to descend into chaos, but I found it interesting to read posts where people felt/were under attack as a result of engaging in some field sports. That interests me and I'd like to know more about it.

I know some posters feel that when I said polls are irrelevant that I did so because the pro coursing numbers were stronger than those opposed. I'd like to clarify that what I meant is that I think the bigger issue that has emerged during the poll is the fact that there is violence being directed at field sports enthusiasts.

As I said earlier, I don't condone that. I just think that a thread outside of the hunting/shooting forum on how people feel about the issue would be good. I don't go into the hunting/shooting forum as I know there will be things in it that I don't want to know, then again I don't visit the gaming forums either:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

Emotive threads always have the potential to descend into chaos, but I found it interesting to read posts where people felt/were under attack as a result of engaging in some field sports. That interests me and I'd like to know more about it.

I know some posters feel that when I said polls are irrelevant that I did so because the pro coursing numbers were stronger than those opposed. I'd like to clarify that what I meant is that I think the bigger issue that has emerged during the poll is the fact that there is violence being directed at field sports enthusiasts.

As I said earlier, I don't condone that. I just think that a thread outside of the hunting/shooting forum on how people feel about the issue would be good. I don't go into the hunting/shooting forum as I know there will be things in it that I don't want to know, then again I don't visit the gaming forums either:)

If you mean you would like to find out what non-hunters, fieldsports people etc think of say, hunting or coursing then I will say two things

1 Of course you would have to exclude everyone with family involved with fieldsports

2 You probably will find most of the remaining people equivocal about the subject, in the way they are equivocal about meat.

just trying to see it from an impartial viewpoint, if that is possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Ah the trolling chestnut. Oh dear :(

You're tedious to respond to, so I will not be bothering any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

GoldCobra wrote: »
    It's irrelevant whether pro or anti coursing, Polls don't change minds.

That's not what a poll is about. It gauges opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Kkeane

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    We rescued one (an ex racer)that had either been sold on on dumped. She was lucky her ears were still intact. They often cut them off so that they cannot be traced back. Ours was traceable back to a syndicate (somewhere in Saggart I believe). Of course we could not contact them, but it was interesting to note that as soon as she stopped performing well she ended up dumped.
    Thankfully there are a lot of private individuals who do fabulous rehabilitative work with them and have contacts in the UK for re-homing, where greyhound re-homing has higher rates than here. (in fact the woman who took her from us had intended to send her to the UK for re-homing but fell in love with her and kept her. She sent me pics a few months after. What a fab creature!)

You seem to make out that having ears cut off is a common practice which is complete rubbish. This is a common story told by people to evoke emotions for an anti coursing/hunting agenda. If you have found a greyhound discarded as you described, why were the authorities not contacted? People seem to think greyhounds are discarded and have their ears chopped of on a regular basis but the fact is this almost never occurs and that those that do such a thing are not true sports/animal/country people and should be dealt with by the law. 
    I find it hard to believe someone would not contact the gardai if they allegedly know the identity of the persons. 
    Greyhounds have ear marking and all can be traced by DNA testing. When I hear stories like this, and yet nothing happens to the perpetrators, I must question the credibility of such a tale.

Cass wrote: »
    I can ramble with the best of them. :D

Correct. Nor would i refer to those opposed to hunting in any of it's form as such. When i use the word extremist i refer to the peopl so blinded by the fight they do not stop to consider the consequences. The oes that would endanger animals, and people to "strike a blow". They are extremists is every sense of the word.

I use the word anti, in a non derogatory way, to describe the general population of anti hunting people. People that dislike it, voice their dislike, but do not engage in such extremist methods to get their point across.

It has been done though, and not once. We find it as distasteful as you or anyone opposed to hunting being described as extremists.

As is your prerogative.

We do not support any activity without being fully informed or for the sake of a row/argument. We do so to defend a tradition, and way of life that while not liked by some, or pursued by others is non the less their legal right.

I would disagree with that sentiment. No one truly knows the opinions or beliefs of all people, however from my own perspective i would say that 90% of poeple i know, am related to, am friends with, have experienced some form of field sports.

I agree with the sentiment. Open, honest discussion is good, but it rarely lasts. Both sides defend their opinions/beliefs strongly, and this always boils over. However i would argue your point about estremists on pro shooting/hunting/coursing side. We do not force our will on others to the pint that we actively seek confrontation IRL. We do not send out unsolicited e-mails, tweets, letters to people's homes, businesses, etc. We do not threaten or damage goods, property, and so on.

Now i do not dare say this is the case with everyone opposed to such endeavours. Far from it. Most are calm, intelligent people able to put their point across in reasoned debate. However those that do act in such a manner destroy any forward movement you may gain or at the very least alienate and diminish the message you try to get across.
    yubabill1 wrote: »
    If you mean you would like to find out what non-hunters, fieldsports people etc think of say, hunting or coursing then I will say two things

1 Of course you would have to exclude everyone with family involved with fieldsports

2 You probably will find most of the remaining people equivocal about the subject, in the way they are equivocal about meat.

just trying to see it from an impartial viewpoint, if that is possible.

Maybe I'm not being as clear as I thought I was. What I mean is that I'm interested in hearing from people who do hunt/shoot about what they experience in terms of being harassed, attacked etc. It wasn't really something that I was aware of. I'd hear the occasional story on the news etc but its not something I'd hear of very often. I'm not disputing that it does happen. I'm just interested in hearing about it from the hunting/shooting perspective.

I don't mean a thread discussing whether or not people agree with hunting/shooting. There seems to be a lot of anger about it from what I've seen during this thread and I think having a thread about it outside of hunting/shooting would give members of that forum the opportunity to share their concerns about that to a broader spectrum of people. Of course there will be some people that take the proverbial but you will find that in After hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Isn't it ironic how a poll is suddenly irrelevant when it doesn't go someones way.

Check the hunting forum, you'll see plenty of posters from this thread discount the poll the second it went up based on how they thought it would turn out.

Isnt it ironic that its suddenly credible ?

Kkeane wrote: »
    You seem to make out that having ears cut off is a common practice which is complete rubbish. This is a common story told by people to evoke emotions for an anti coursing/hunting agenda. If you have found a greyhound discarded as you described, why were the authorities not contacted? People seem to think greyhounds are discarded and have their ears chopped of on a regular basis but the fact is this almost never occurs and that those that do such a thing are not true sports/animal/country people and should be dealt with by the law. 
    I find it hard to believe someone would not contact the gardai if they allegedly know the identity of the persons. 
    Greyhounds have ear marking and all can be traced by DNA testing. When I hear stories like this, and yet nothing happens to the perpetrators, I must question the credibility of such a tale.

lots of one post wonders in here, welcome one and all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

Maybe I'm not being as clear as I thought I was. What I mean is that I'm interested in hearing from people who do hunt/shoot about what they experience in terms of being harassed, attacked etc. It wasn't really something that I was aware of. I'd hear the occasional story on the news etc but its not something I'd hear of very often. I'm not disputing that it does happen. I'm just interested in hearing about it from the hunting/shooting perspective.

I don't mean a thread discussing whether or not people agree with hunting/shooting. There seems to be a lot of anger about it from what I've seen during this thread and I think having a thread about it outside of hunting/shooting would give members of that forum the opportunity to share their concerns about that to a broader spectrum of people. Of course there will be some people that take the proverbial but you will find that in After hours.

Well you couls start here

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/letters/a-bad-day-for-democracy-29105483.html

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

That's what this thread is for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Kkeane

Bambi wrote: »
    lots of one post wonders in here, welcome one and all :)

Did you start on boards with 100+ votes or something? Think I'm entitled to start somewhere especially if it's something that interests me

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »
    That's what this thread is for.
    Thank you for sharing that, but its not what I'm talking about. What I'm talking about is a discussion. I'm not for a second suggesting that it will change anyones opinions. I just think it would make an interesting thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Did you start on boards with 100+ votes or something? Think I'm entitled to start somewhere especially if it's something that interests me

Nobody is saying your not, but I think a few of us would be interested in how many registered to vote. Again not saying you're not welcome to, but it would be interesting to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Chicken liver

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrrhyuUpcG8

This is my favourite way to cook hare. You'de be really up for a leap after it.

Of course you are, it's not like you were just bussed in.

Maybe vote in that poll thing for a start or make another "no true scotsman" argument perhaps, they're always enjoyable :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,998 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrrhyuUpcG8

This is my favourite way to cook hare. You'de be really up for a leap after it.

Foul tasting sh1te, and even more reason for not killing 'em.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭good logs...

I can see not a thing wrong with a hare been coursed my two dogs....the hare all ways gets away on a proper coursing track......lets face its a hare for god sake....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭wexfordman

Yeah you dont sound paranoid at all.

But its not paranoia badger, it is the stated aim of many anti organisations to ban all forms of field sports, including fishing etc.

And its a bit odd, as you yourself have said you would like to see and end to fishing and horse racing also, so how is that paraniod ?

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Foul tasting sh1te, and even more reason for not killing 'em.:P

yeah, i have tried it, and wont be again, very strong tasting, not at all like rabbit, which is lovely!

Interesting, so without shooting the Red Grouse is pretty much finished.

Well, red re-introduction is being run by lots of local shooting clubs, and they are not being re-introduced to shoot.

The thing that many dont understand, and I will probably get shredded for saying this, is the vast majority of people invovled in field sports have a genuine interest and love of the country and nature.

Its not a contradiction to admire an animal and prey on it at the same time. Its not a contradiction to look after the well being of a species, while hunting it at the same time. I know of schemes where species are being reintroduced, and those who do it spend enormous amount of time, energy and money into it, knowing that it will be years, even decades before they start to see real results!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,998 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

wexfordman wrote: »
    yeah, i have tried it, and wont be again, very strong tasting, not at all like rabbit, which is lovely!

Also tastes foul.:P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement