Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next gen console yay or nay

Options
  • 27-02-2013 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the next gen consoles.

Personally I'm definately going to wait at least a year after they're released. A few reasons for this.

1. I really dont play online a lot anymore. The odd game of Halo is about it.
    2. I have paid big bucks in the past for consoles which generally meant I paid over the odds, had very poor selection of games and ended up essentially testing the consoles hardware as it hit fault after fault.
    3. I wasnt massively impressed with the games on the current gen. So much so that I've ended up in the last year going back to retro consoles like the N64 etc...
    4. ... And now that I have started to look at older consoles again I've been happier. I just rather the games. They tend to (I know not always) but tend to rely more on gameplay than graphics well because they had to I suppose. I find games these days are more about lets give the player a huge open world with amazing graphics and sure well that'll do.

Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky.

Anyway what are your thoughts on the next gen...

I'm thinkin at the moment I'd probably actually sway towards the Wii U if and when I do go for the next gen because of Nintendo first party games generally being decent.

Over to you...

Next gen console.. yay or nay... 25 votes

Playstation 4
    0%
    Xbox 720.. or whatever they call it
    32%
    dlofnepCaptain ChaosHogzyJack burtonsteviebgBrianG23whomitconcernsCienciano 8 votes
    Wii U
    48%
    pdwCiDeRmAnAlanGdocentore[Deleted User]ParawindPauloConnmaximoosealpahaeagleGuffypeter_dublinSnakePlissken 12 votes
    Not going to bother.
    20%
    nitromasterrichymcdermottmurphyebassbaktagDinoRex 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Can't seem to shake off the kiddy image the Wii/WiiU have/has. Doubt I'll ever buy either.

Probably get a PS4 6-12 months after launch or the first price drop which ever is sooner. Given both consoles will be very similar I doubt I'll bother with an Xbox till much later in its life unless its got some super awesome must have exclusives (I don't count Halo).

Of course all this could change depending the launch prices, ability to play used games, etc etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Not going to bother.
    Can't seem to shake off the kiddy image the Wii/WiiU have/has. Doubt I'll ever buy either.

Probably get a PS4 6-12 months after launch or the first price drop which ever is sooner. Given both consoles will be very similar I doubt I'll bother with an Xbox till much later in its life unless its got some super awesome must have exclusives (I don't count Halo).

Of course all this could change depending the launch prices, ability to play used games, etc etc etc.

Kiddy image, maybe. But generally your going to get a decent mario and zelda game at least.

I have a 360 and if I was to look at what I've actually played on it most hours wise it would definately be the exclusives like Halo, Gears of War and Forza so if I had to go Playstation or Xbox i'd go with Xbox becausee the Playstation exclusives dont interest me in the slightest, but as I said probably not bother with either to be fair this time round.

There are sooooooo many games for all the other consoles I have lying around that I'm yet to play which can be picked up pretty cheap on adverts or even fleabay.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You could say the snes and the nes have kiddy images - and look at all the great games they have! I wouldnt let that stop you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

o1s1n wrote: »
    You could say the snes and the nes have kiddy images - and look at all the great games they have! I wouldnt let that stop you :)

Not really, any of the Wii titles I'm looked at are all stupid fat headed avatar yokes :) Maybe it's cus its what my nieces and nephews play :)

Not having a go at Nintendo, just have little interest in the Wii. Maybe I'm missing out but sure I've already have more 'must play' games than I'll ever get around to playing !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Haven't voted yet as know nothing about the next Xbox, but I have heard it will be Kinect heavy and possibly no backwards compatibility with disc OR downloaded games from your 360 which is a massive eh, no thanks for the first couple of years of its life.

Have a Wii, and man the amount of awesome NON-KIDDY games on that system is ridiculous, just even see IGN's list , will keep ya going for years. And you can get a lot of them pretty cheap now.

I did get a WiiU at Xmas, in fairness, havent turned it on in about a month until monday just gone, Darksiders 2, AMAZING on the Gamepad, hopefully someone buys that franchise up next month...
    Also its only 3 months old now, give it a chance to build up a good amount of games, its only young.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Not really, any of the Wii titles I'm looked at are all stupid fat headed avatar yokes :) Maybe it's cus its what my nieces and nephews play :)

Not having a go at Nintendo, just have little interest in the Wii. Maybe I'm missing out but sure I've already have more 'must play' games than I'll ever get around to playing !!

That just boils down to as you said, your nieces and nephew's playing kids games in front of you ;) I'm sure if they were playing Madworld, Manhunt 2 or the US version of No More Heroes you'd have a different opinion :D

Regarding the topic and next gen, I really don't have a clue. I'd quite like to buy a WiiU for the obvious enough Nintendo titles, but am in no rush at the moment.

My 360 has sat pretty much unused for months except for the odd game which warrants playing (Dark Souls/Red Dead Redemption etc). I'll probably wait and see what the exclusives are like before going for anything. Similar to the WiiU, I'm in no rush.

The only new piece of gaming tech which really has me excited in the coming year or two is the Oculus Rift. If one of the next gen consoles supports it then I'll be buying the system in a heartbeat. Otherwise I'll probably build a gaming PC capable of running the Rift well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I'll wait until solid details are released, what hey can'can't do for definite. Ideally I'd rather not be an early adopter of the next gen for obvious reasons...but those reasons get nullified when Father Christmas comes into the loop.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Couldn't give a monkey's about any of them.

When I look at the few quality titles I played on the PS3, it really was a waste of 600 quid or whatever I paid. Not forking out again for a Sony console.

The 360 was excellent but that's now my Cave shmup device for the cab. Not bothered about Halo 10 or Fifa 35.

I have a Wii with USB hard drive and too many class titles still unfinished for me to bother with the WiiU.

I get my current gen gaming fix from the PC these days so happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'm never an early adopter of new consoles, its usually at least a year before something that's a system seller appears going on the last gen of consoles, Nintendo not releasing a Mario or Zelda game day one is criminal, not since the n64 days and Mario 64 was a day one killer app. last console I bought on launch was the gamecube, that had a decent launch lineup and stuff like Resident Evil not too long after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Not going to bother.
    Already have the Wii U.

But at the moment I'm leaning toward the PS4 as a true next gen option. The launch last week was awful, but the spec actually looks quite good and they certainly seem to have learned from the mistakes of the PS3.

When I look back at the 360 and PS3 the PS3 had most exclusive titles that I was actually interested in. Couldn't give a toss about the likes of Halo and Gears of War. But love stuff like Ni No Kuni and Journey.

The new xbox is going be like a billboard punching you in the face repeatedly in your own living room.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

PC (an old one) and Android do fine for all my gaming needs.
    Lost interest in consoles and the polygon book-keeping exercises looong ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Not going to bother.
    krudler wrote: »
    I'm never an early adopter of new consoles, its usually at least a year before something that's a system seller appears going on the last gen of consoles, Nintendo not releasing a Mario or Zelda game day one is criminal, not since the n64 days and Mario 64 was a day one killer app. last console I bought on launch was the gamecube, that had a decent launch lineup and stuff like Resident Evil not too long after it.

They released nsmb u at launch , unless you are looking for the true 3d mario experience.

Anyways i got a wii u at launch and bought it for its potential future, not for now.

Being a ps user since 98 i wont be picking up the ps4 cause i know the transition from ps3-ps4 market will be the same with a million shooters and a handful of classics. Weighing in the price of the console thats going to be at least 450-500 its not worth it.

Happy enough with the juggernaut of the 3ds with the great games like wind waker hd thats coming to wii u. On top of that whatever cross play titles sony has involved for ps4 i have a vita to never bother pick up the ps4 :)

Master of the Universe

Just think, with every extra generation that comes along, it means an even bigger (and cheaper!) backlog of older games to get through.

There's an absolute tonne of 360 games I haven't played yet which I'm sure I'll be playing well into the next gen. As long as my console holds out that is!

Wii U
    bring on the next gen!
    they better support oculus rift!
    I never ever buy at launch so dont really mind.

Not going to bother.
    Just think, with every extra generation that comes along, it means an even bigger (and cheaper!) backlog of older games to get through.

There's an absolute tonne of 360 games I haven't played yet which I'm sure I'll be playing well into the next gen. As long as my console holds out that is!

Yeah my 360 had 3 red lights about 6 months ago so I'll probably but a new 360 at the end of it's cycle as a back up cause like yourself I have a few to get through yet!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Wii U
    I already have a WiiU and, like the Wii, it never feels "current gen", it kinda sits to one side of the current gen, sticking it's tongue out!
    But of the other two, it's the Xbox that makes me more interested.
    That said, I am mostly platform agnostic, so it really all comes down to the games, if the ones I really need to play are on one format or the other then I'll have to have it.
    I only have slight Ninty fanboi tendencies, as represented by my calling them "Ninty", as if it's not a faceless corporation but a friend, which they are, a friend..... gaming friend.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I'm really in no rush for a new gen. On the other hand, though, I'm looking forward to seeing all the current gen games crash in price so that I can pick up a bunch of them.

Not going to bother.
    deathrider wrote: »
    I'm really in no rush for a new gen. On the other hand, though, I'm looking forward to seeing all the current gen games crash in price so that I can pick up a bunch of them.

Completely agree with this. I'm currently compiling a list of games that I'd have never paid full wack for but wouldnt mind giving a go at the same time.

Plus some games I've just played online so have the campaigns to hit at some point.

I'm surprised I ever completed Gears of War 2 considering the amount of Horde I used to play online. I LOVE HORDE!!!:D

I think I picked up more PS2 titles this gen than I did Xbox360 ones, due to them being a pound a penny. I'm certainly hoping for the same kinda turnover for 360 games now when the PS4 hits the selves. There really are tons of great games for the console, and I've borrowed/played through a hell of a lot of them that I'd love to have in my collection.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm in no rush for the New gen either. You see everyone complaining that there's no games for the WiiU or Vita and how it was so terrible the 3DS had so few games in it's first year. Well the thig is those consoles aren't as awesome as the Dreamcast or Neo Geo Pocket so they followed the trend of every other console launch of having **** all on them in the first year.

• Advertisement

Not going to bother.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm in no rush for the New gen either. You see everyone complaining that there's no games for the WiiU or Vita and how it was so terrible the 3DS had so few games in it's first year. Well the thig is those consoles aren't as awesome as the Dreamcast or Neo Geo Pocket so they followed the trend of every other console launch of having **** all on them in the first year.

NGPC really is special in fairness for the joystick cotrol if nothing else!
    Played match of the millenium the other day again. Pure class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

I'm actually really looking forward to new gen consoles..especially what microsoft have to offer.

I spread my gaming evenly between new gen and retro.
    You're a fool if you slate gaming advances through your rose tinted glasses, as are you if abuse retro gaming through your Google glasses.

All platforms new and hold have produced defining games, moments and revelations which will never be repeated.
    Jesus people forget all the sh1t that was released during the 8bit/16 bit era..same as any generation
    Endless crappy platformer games and film tie ins that equate to all the FPS tripe etc that we see now on current gen platforms

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Wii U
    I spread my gaming evenly between new gen and retro.
    You're a fool if you slate gaming advances through your rose tinted glasses, as are you if abuse retro gaming through your Google glasses.

I don't think anyone here is not in favour of "gaming advances", plenty here have invested in motion controls, 3D glassesless screens, rear touch pads and VR headsets which suggests we are extremely interested in the new, in that which brings new possibilities to the gaming table.

What we, or rather I, am not in favour of is p1ss poor launches of hardware, at a high price with a poor launch line up, where the hardware and software is primed for patching at powerup and we get fed crap about "launch window" software we could be playing, if only we had waited until they are released, some 8 months later.

Really, what you see and hear in this forum is cynicism, a hardening of the gaming heart due to be let down so often in the past, promised the stars but finding us playing Perfect Dark Zero instead :(
    So, why wouldn't we be more comfortable with formats that are comfortable and predictable, the PS2, Snes, MD, DC these all had their fare share of dung but, from our vantage point, we can see vast tracts of as-yet unplayed great games, stuff we have yet to sample, outside of an emu, and can buy, play and enjoy.

A prime example of this could be Earthbound, a game outside the budget of most but, thanks to EnterNow, a stellar RPG now within the reach of all.

When I have a spare €50 knocking around in my gaming budget it almost never gets spent on current releases.
    At best, as far as current gen is concerned, I'll pick something cheap but cool that I have yet to play, like Alice Madness Returns for 11.99, or I'll pick up something nice for one of my many other formats, like Zelda Oracle of the Seasons or a Shmup for the PS2.

So, no rose tinted specs here for the past or naive notions about the past, just an appreciation for a continuum of great games on a manifold of formats stretching from the past into the future, and the hope that I might play and finish more than a few of them .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

yeah I get that Cidey...statement wasn't directed at you or forum.
    Just a general observation.To dismiss playing current gen games because there is too many retro games to play is absurd.

Just thinking about it though..Video games are like any other media, like music or films.
    The most revered and ground breaking are mostly from era's long gone.
    It takes something special to break the mold these days.
    Anyway I'm off to scratch some vinyl records with my power glove whilst streaming music to my brain via the my cerebral google play implant

Master of the Universe

To dismiss playing current gen games because there is too many retro games to play is absurd.

It comes down to a cost thing with myself. Why pay €600 for a new PS3 on release and €60-€70 for games when they'll be a fraction of the price a few years later?

I just don't like to throw money away. I like getting value for it. Having something which is 'cutting edge' and 'new' means nothing to me.

Wii U
    I'm with you there, very few new releases scream "BUY ME!!!" now, I'll give it a month and get it for less or give it a few and get it for half.
    The closure of HMV and Game will mean the pool of available preowned games is shrinking, or rather the places to get them, Xtravision/Smyths/Gamestop? Hardly the first names we think of when we think of value for money!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

It comes down to a cost thing with myself. Why pay €600 for a new PS3 on release and €60-€70 for games when they'll be a fraction of the price a few years later?

I just don't like to throw money away. I like getting value for it. Having something which is 'cutting edge' and 'new' means nothing to me.

I'll take that Oculus Rift off your hands when it arrives so. :p

Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I'll take that Oculus Rift off your hands when it arrives so. :p

There are always exceptions :p

Where the cash factor is a large reason why I don't rush into a new gen too, another one is that I'm never too sure which way to go. The PS3/360 gen started off with more horror stories than Tales From The Crypt. I didn't want to grab either console in fear of them fecking up, which could result in me losing cash, and more importantly, losing all my saves on that machine. I'd rather sit back, and watch the console war from a safe distance for a while before getting stuck in.

• Advertisement

Wii U
    If I was to go back a few months and talk some sense to myself I'd give him two pieces of advice...

1- Hamsters are for external use only

2- The WiiU can wait, buy Skyrim instead

Advertisement