Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭medoc

kooga wrote: »
    no plans, but if you have eirsport on evision you can upgrade to hd for €5pm

Haha thanks. I'm lucky to be getting 6.3Mb download never mind efibre and evision.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Glen Killnane, formerly of RTE, joining Eir as head of TV and sport. Not sure if this means Michael O'Rourke leaves his position as Eir Sport CEO, though I imagine he was only ever staying on for the transition period anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

icdg wrote: »
    Glen Killnane, formerly of RTE, joining Eir as head of TV and sport. Not sure if this means Michael O'Rourke leaves his position as Eir Sport CEO, though I imagine he was only ever staying on for the transition period anyway.

interesting move.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

so is the payments department still the same, ie over in Scotland, or has all this been transferred somewhere else? I`m talking satellite reception here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

loughside wrote: »
    so is the payments department still the same, ie over in Scotland, or has all this been transferred somewhere else? I`m talking satellite reception here.

still in scotland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Formula 1 fans who have Virgin and Vodafone tv will be thankful this weekend is a Channel 4 live weekend. Up to now all F1 coverage was on the former Setanta Ireland channel Eir Sport 1, this weekend however Qualifying will be shown live on Eir Sport 2 and as yet there is no live coverage of the Grand Prix listed on the programme guide but there is a "This is Eir Sport 2" filler around the time of the Grand Prix so I'm expecting that to change to live British Grand Prix. This means I believe that had this been a highlights weekend for Channel 4, Vodafone and Virgin customers would have had no live coverage of the Grand Prix without a Sports subscription.

EDIT:
    Check out @eirSport's Tweet:

Apparently not on Eir Sport 2 after all.
    So much for the number 1 promise on this page.
    https://www.eirsport.ie/motor-sports

The "this is Eir Sport 2" is a geoblocking for satellite customers of The Sunday Game. Nothing to do with the GP. This was bound to hit them again sooner or later, there was a GP that clashed with the Open a few years back, but they'll have every GAA club in the UK on the phone to them if they don't show that. Wheras the F1's on two other channels, including a FTA one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Would it not be possible to place the Grand Prix on ES2 in the same way that Setanta 1 used to show EPL matches on a Saturday away from whatever Premier Sports were showing?
    Not overly upset about it or anything, as has been said there's FTA coverage on Channel 4 anyway but it'd be good to know in case of other clashes further down.

Not at the moment - on satellite at any rate because on satellite they are the same channel. The only differences between Eir Sport 2 and Premier Sports is geoblocked programmes on one or the other.

They could do it on cable, with a little bit of scheduling shake-about, as they've the capacity to do an alternative schedule on that platform. From what I saw when I had cable their preference was to run rugby league repeats instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,718 ✭✭✭lertsnim

If they do go down the line of making some events exclusive to cable then they better pull the finger out and seperate Premier Sports and Eir Sports 2 on satellie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭rwald7

muffler wrote: »
    For the last few years I have an ongoing 2 monthly sub with Setanta whereby I cancel by email, they email me back with an offer which I dont take, a week or so before Im due to get cut off the call me and give me a better offer for the next 2 months. So a couple of days ago I emailed to cancel and also asked what, if any bearing the change would have on me and would any of my account or my credit card details be passed to Eir and this is the reply I got this morning.........

I got the same note.....interesting change in approach :(

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Smith614

What is eir tv qualitty like. Is it 100% success . Some streaming can be hit and miss. They seem to ave great vlaue for tv & broadband. Any recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,827 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Smith614 wrote: »
    What is eir tv qualitty like. Is it 100% success . Some streaming can be hit and miss. They seem to ave great vlaue for tv & broadband. Any recommendations.
    I dont have it and can only comment on what i seen people posting here on Boards and on other forums. If the posts are representative of the service then I would never touch it.

But as you know we always hear about the problems and the poor service etc and very seldom hear from the satisfied customers. Yes, I have read of the problems but Im sure for every 1 person experiencing issues there are probably another 50, 100 or 500 finding it good.

Just to slight update re the ongoing Virgin Media saga, channel names and logos haven't been updated.

Now to be fair, this is the company that still hasn't changed BBC News 24 to BBC News after eight years, so maybe it's best not to read anything in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Just to slight update re the ongoing Virgin Media saga, channel names and logos haven't been updated.

Now to be fair, this is the company that still hasn't changed BBC News 24 to BBC News after eight years, so maybe it's best not to read anything in.

Channel names and logos on Vodafone TV haven't changed yet either.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭TippCashel

Hi all. I'm just wondering about signing up with EirSports. I would've left Setanta a few months ago with $40 debt on the account unpaid I think which they have never looked for. If I try to sign up with EirSport with the same sky card will they try to charge me the outstanding money too or is it a new slate? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭TippCashel

Hi all. I'm just wondering about signing up with EirSports. I would've left Setanta a few months ago with $40 debt on the account unpaid I think which they have never looked for. If I try to sign up with EirSport with the same sky card will they try to charge me the outstanding money too or is it a new slate? Thanks

Also, I have Meteor Broadband at home, the modem. Does this count as Eir BB?

Eir targeting the GAA rights (although that could mean just holding the rights they have) and the Pro 12 (which doesn't come up for a good while yet) according to Sunday Times article.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Eir targeting the GAA rights (although that could mean just holding the rights they have) and the Pro 12 (which doesn't come up for a good while yet) according to Sunday Times article.

Would make sense - they could bring forward their Saorview plan in order to make a Championship bid palatable, and it would give BT a useful summer schedule filler in the UK.

Would make sense - they could bring forward their Saorview plan in order to make a Championship bid palatable, and it would give BT a useful summer schedule filler in the UK.

I don't think BT are that close to eir, I imagine that eir would use premier sports for the GB market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭medoc

Elmo wrote: »
    I don't think BT are that close to eir, I imagine that eir would use premier sports for the GB market.

It's a pity Eir didn't name their channels the opposite way around. It would have made it easier and more logical if they bought premiersports in the uk to rebrand it to Eir Sport 1. I can't see them ever having the two Eir sport channels in the UK.

But they didn't buy Premier Sports, and if they had wanted to they would have.

In the longer term I imagine Eir Sport and Premier Sports will go their separate ways, particularly when the day comes that Michael O'Rourke ceases his involvement with Eir Sport. It may be that the eventual goal is to sell that business too, and once that happens I could see a full separation occurring. (Which will be a bad day for lovers of ice hockey and rugby league, but there really isn't much of a market for those sports here, the existence of a Belfast based ice hockey franchise notwithstanding).

But they didn't buy Premier Sports, and if they had wanted to they would have.

In the longer term I imagine Eir Sport and Premier Sports will go their separate ways, particularly when the day comes that Michael O'Rourke ceases his involvement with Eir Sport. It may be that the eventual goal is to sell that business too, and once that happens I could see a full separation occurring. (Which will be a bad day for lovers of ice hockey and rugby league, but there really isn't much of a market for those sports here, the existence of a Belfast based ice hockey franchise notwithstanding).

So why not just brand it premier sports in RoI? And treat the channel like the BT sports package.

Eir Sport, Premier Sport and BT Sport?

They nearly did so in 2013 but abandoned the idea at the last minute. I can only think that Eir are against the idea this time.

Seems that BT will announce tommorow that it will offer its channels free to subscribers to the EE mobile network in the UK. It'll be app only, so they won't be able to watch on an actual TV, but represents a rowing back on their charging for the channels.

Seems that BT will announce tommorow that it will offer its channels free to subscribers to the EE mobile network in the UK. It'll be app only, so they won't be able to watch on an actual TV, but represents a rowing back on their charging for the channels.

You can connect your smart phone to a TV/larger screen.

Sorry Elmo you're right - seemingly BT don't lock down their app in the same way Sky do (with Sky's apps, they won't output to a TV, and you can't use Chromecast or AirPlay to get around this).

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Kurn

But they did manage it for Sky Cinema, I noticed on horizon!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

muffler wrote: »
    I dont have it and can only comment on what i seen people posting here on Boards and on other forums. If the posts are representative of the service then I would never touch it.

But as you know we always hear about the problems and the poor service etc and very seldom hear from the satisfied customers. Yes, I have read of the problems but Im sure for every 1 person experiencing issues there are probably another 50, 100 or 500 finding it good.

I have it on promotion free for 12 months and I am happy with it

• Advertisement

Sorry Elmo you're right - seemingly BT don't lock down their app in the same way Sky do (with Sky's apps, they won't output to a TV, and you can't use Chromecast or AirPlay to get around this).

Could you not connect it via HDMI? Are they that locked down?

Advertisement