Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,737 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I'd prefer world feed myself. ITV commentary is awful.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It’s world feed (Paul Dempsey I think) for Spurs v Portsmouth. Of course the BBC game in this slot is actually Gillingham v Leicester.

The BBC has the spurs game live on the iPlayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭AJB39

Interesting that tonight’s FA Cup match on ITV 4 between Liverpool and Wolves has not been geo-blocked and is available for Virgin Media cable viewers to watch.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭mike2084

Confession time folks - I did this on day 1 of the transponder split and found out back then but I didn't want to say anything fear someone in Viaplay might read it and block the streams!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Was watching Sheffield Wednesday and Newcastle on Bbc1 in the pub. After the match they put on Premier Sports 1 and they were showing the same match 15 minutes behind and the match finished just before the Liverpool/Wolves match which was shown live.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Spn744

The Premier Sports website and twitter page seem to have disappeared. The rebrand to Viaplay must be happening shortly however EPG and Sky Go still say Premier Sports.

Premier Sports isn't rebranding in Ireland. The website and twitter are gone a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Delta2113

It's Virgin that do the blocking so to speak if necessary for ITV 4 but less and less sport is getting blocked these days. It reminds me off how much I miss ITV 1 (UTV) News At Ten etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Cannot now get Premier Sport listings on Entertainment .ie

I could do so a couple of days ago.

If Viaplay are finally taking over from Premier in ROI what happens to 3.00pm PL live soccer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭iseegirls

It would be great if RTE or Virgin Media would make an offer and take them for the rest of the contract. However, Virgin Media may not be fussed, seeing their Saturday afternoons are taken up with ITV Horse Racing mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Viaplay aren’t taking over premier in Ireland

Premier in Ireland is a zombie station. It exists on broadcast TV but has no digital presence at all (save for Now, Sky Go etc) and exists (IMO) solely to fulfil contractual obligations

Premier Sport listings are still there. I checked just now.

For some reason Saturday's schedule will not load for me. Can anyone inform me which PL 3.00pm KO is being shown?

I saw them advertise the Brighton v Liverpool game the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Thank you very much. Will use this Sky guide. I am in N. Ireland and can watch PS via other channels.

Post edited by Digifriendly on

There isn’t and wont be a rebrand in Ireland; Viaplay are being absolutely clear now that they didn’t buy the ROI operation (pity it took them so long to say it, though).

The Irish operation remains owned by Michael O’Rourke/Leonard Ryan/Setanta Sports, as far as I can tell. The website and social media channels are gone since December nothing new has happened there this week.

Nor would I say, at this point, that it is “existing solely to fulfill contractual obligations”, as Setanta themselves would tell you, there are ways out of that if they needed or wanted to get out now. They willingly took the extension on offer from the Premier League at a point when the sale of the U.K. operation to Viaplay was at least on the cards and did a new deal with LaLiga in the same period. Watch what happens with the ROI PL rights for 2025-28 which should be on offer later this year/early next year if the PL keeps to its usual schedule.

Post edited by icdg on

Just to confirm Sky EPG listing Brighton v Liverpool as FAPL 3pm followed by Connacht v Brieve in the European Challenge Cup.

Connacht v Brieve now appears to have been dropped in favour of live SPFL Cup football, not sure of the logic in that one and it doesn’t seem to be even getting a repeat. Wouldn’t mind but they are showing a recording of Pau v Dragons on Premier 2 at same time!

• Advertisement

Pathetic and no way to contact them to tell them they're pathetic.

It is Celtic, to be fair so there may have been an element of wanting to retain the football audience after the Liverpool game, but not sure why the rugby couldn’t have been moved to Prem 2.

I'm not complaining about Celtic being shown, it is them choosing to show a repeat of two non Irish teams over live coverage of an Irish team that I am complaining about.

It wouldn't surprise me if they've provided incorrect EPG data and Connacht ends up being shown but the last few weeks shows they really don't care.

Interestingly Connacht is not on Viaplay either

I wouldn’t be surprised if the nature of the deal is that Premier and Viaplay have to show the same games (EPCR have form on that one)

But I’m also pretty sure the game was being promo-ed on Premier earlier in the week.

The game had coverage somewhere as RTE just showed some of it on the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Would RTE have the Budget or interest in the 3pm soccer games if premier called it a day?

I also see in the British media they are saying apple will look to make a move on the next premier league rights

Depends who they would be up against. The rights are only worth what the highest bidder is willing to pay. RTE had rights before, of course, and then shared with Setanta between 2004-07.

I don’t think Sky will do it again, tbh, so I’m not sure who the competition will be. I don’t think Sky got the value and they seemed to lost interest by the last of the three seasons they had the rights.

But I’m not convinced Premier will call it a day, yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

If Apple do win some of the games in the bid for the next round UK rights from 2025. Could they pull their muscle and outbid the likes of Amazon or even BT Sport in the UK and then strike a rest of World rights deal for those outside the UK, possibly Ireland and the USA ?

I do recognise that the USA market is in a different position at this time as Comcast/NBC Sports have an exclusive deal to have EPL matches there until 2028.

Advertisement