Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sats 39, 28, 26, 23, 19 & 16

Options
  • 23-02-2013 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anybody has a set-up with the following sats:

39, 28, 26, 23, 19 and 16

Trying to do it myself (today) but progress is slow.

Im using a Triax multi-bracket turned upside down and with Sat 26 as the prime focus

So just wondering if any has this set-up and if so can they post a pic please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

iba wrote: »
    Just wondering if anybody has a set-up with the following sats:

39, 28, 26, 23, 19 and 16

Trying to do it myself (today) but progress is slow.

Im using a Triax multi-bracket turned upside down and with Sat 26 as the prime focus

So just wondering if any has this set-up and if so can they post a pic please?
    Why is the bracket upside down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

snaps wrote: »
    Why is the bracket upside down.

Im not smart enough to understand the reasons why, ut when I was setting up Badr 26 before, I was advised to have the bracket upside down.

I think there is info about it in a thread called 'the continuing saga of ......' I cant remember the last words, either Badr sat or arabsat.

Actually its on this thread - see Banie's post number 52:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056416102&page=4

So Im not sure if I need it upside down or not now :)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Upside down works best for me, not enough tilt having it the way Triax suggest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

I don't think 39e would work on such an offset, it may seem like a strong satellite, but it's low down and that weakens it substantially.

byte wrote: »
    Upside down works best for me, not enough tilt having it the way Triax suggest.

Thanks Byte, whats ur set-up?

• Advertisement

excollier wrote: »
    I don't think 39e would work on such an offset, it may seem like a strong satellite, but it's low down and that weakens it substantially.

Thanks Excollier - another plan out the window - was really wanting to get 39

Shall I give up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Shall I give up?

Never give up.

This is my current setup. from right 39E 28E, 23E, 19E, 13E.

Im not smart enough to understand the reasons why, ut when I was setting up Badr 26 before, I was advised to have the bracket upside down.

So Im not sure if I need it upside down or not now

By upside down I guess you mean that you drilled a hole underneath the original hole (ridge below) that was premade. As byte says it gives you more tilt than the pre-drilled hole does. Hence more elevation on the bracket. Eg the natural elevation for 39E is 17.1 My dish elevation is set at 23 degrees. The full tilt on the bracket is compensating for the lower elevation required by highering the bracket.

Shall I give up?

A seperate dish is best, I had a seperate dish (60cm) for 42east a long time ago of the days of free football on NTV turkey! But 42 east is even lower towards the ground this far west, but luckily i had fields over the line of sight so getting it was no problems. Trees, buildings can all be a problem for 39/42 east this far west, even a garden wall would block those satellites here.

my computer screen has just exploded with that pic! To me now that bar looks the right way up. Have you tried getting signal by unattaching the lnb and moving it around by hand. To me it doesnt look high enough and far enough away from 28east? But its hard to tell on the pic. A day like today is the best day to be getting weak signals.
    Ive noticed even the K1 thor beam at 1 west is coming in for me today with no cloud cover, on the threshold but coming in. Any cloud for me and thats gone.

my computer screen has just exploded with that pic! To me now that bar looks the right way up. Have you tried getting signal by unattaching the lnb and moving it around by hand. To me it doesnt look high enough and far enough away from 28east? But its hard to tell on the pic. A day like today is the best day to be getting weak signals.
    Ive noticed even the K1 thor beam at 1 west is coming in for me today with no cloud cover, on the threshold but coming in. Any cloud for me and thats gone.

What picture is that snaps ?

I am guessing that its the centring on 26E that is messing up IBA. I had redrill my dish at the 3/4 rather than the original 1/2 in order to get 28 just on the inside far side of the mid point and have enough room for the LNBs out to 13E, whilst also having the gap from 28 to 39.

I cannot get 26E on this setup. 26E is a problem for me anyhow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Looks like a tidy setup especially like the compression plugs.

242412.jpg

Op did you ever think of a T-90?

STB wrote: »

What picture is that snaps ?
    the first picture went of my laptop screen.
    Have to admit its a tidy arm you have there, I've 6 lnbs on mine, my 16east lnb is held between 19 and 13 with 2 cable ties as a lnb bracket won't fit
    sorry stb, I thought the picture of the arms was the op's. Wasn't concentrating.

Guys, thanks for all your comments and suggestions.

Got to say before I go any further and that is, you all get up very early on a Sunday morning :)

Anyway, I cannot get 39 at all (I tried just with a single LNB on the arm) - even 36 is a big struggle. My dish is very near the ground - only about 3 meters up and only about 20 ft to the back of my house and its facing teh back of the house. So I think Snaps is right and Im not going to get it coz of the line of sight.

So Ill just go back to the old reliables, 28, 26, 23, 19, 16 and 13.

Was out working on it this AM but in now to watch the footie and later the rugby so Im not sure if Ill get it finished today but whenever I do, Ill post a pic.

There is one thing that I have done this morning and that concerns the LNB at 26. Previously I had turned the LNB holder on its side and screwed it onto the bracket. But now Ive come up with another idea and it works and gives me more room and that is Ive cut the corners off the black plastic thing that connects the Sat Arm to the Sat Bracket (pic attached) it might help someone.

STB - like someone else said, your bracket does not look upside down to me either. Anyway, this new idea of mine to cut the corners may help you in getting 26.

Regards

did you get anything from 36? if so if it was a struggle i would say 39 is out. You could try a spare dish from an upstairs window to experiment?

did you get anything from 36? if so if it was a struggle i would say 39 is out. You could try a spare dish from an upstairs window to experiment?

No couldnt get 36, was trying 4 Lider TV - got Mount Blanc on 33

Thats a good idea - might try it from the front of the house.

Progress Report.

Not totally finished yet.

As I mentioned earlier I couldnt get 39 but I managed to get 28, 26, 19, 16, 13 and 9/10

Couldnt get 23 - when I placed a LNB next to/right beside 26, all it would pick up was stations from 19.

Have one 8x1 diseqc switch installed. The next Diseqc switch will just hang in front of the one in already. The cables hold the switch/s in place.

Also did a little more sawing on the black plastic thing between the arm and the bracket.

Anyhow, heres some pics.

Oh yeah, space on the left is for 28 - new Inverto Ultra coming tomorrow from Amazon - only £16.90 - Bought one a year ago and it cost about 27 euro (I think)

STB - like someone else said, your bracket does not look upside down to me either. Anyway, this new idea of mine to cut the corners may help you in getting 26.

Regards

Upside down, nah, the bracket is redrilled so that three quarters is on the left hand side which just leaves about enough between 28 and 39. The bracket is drilled on the bottom rung to give that extra bit of tilt.

IBA, put the hack saw away. :) I guess that the 26E issue is due to me moving away from the focal point. Its also a TD88 rather than a 110 so my margin for missing it is a lot more probable. I probably need 2 slim lnbs or at least the right holder for 1.

Havent said that your issue with 39E is purely down to a larger gap being required between 28 and 39 on the bracket as you are using a 110 dish. When aligned with any multi-bracketed lnb on 28 degrees, to get 39 (and standing behind the dish) you simply swing the dish to the right until you hit 39. A pretuned box on 39E will help you. You can then realign all the lnbs on the other side.

STB wrote: »
    Upside down, nah, the bracket is redrilled so that three quarters is on the left hand side which just leaves about enough between 28 and 39. The bracket is drilled on the bottom rung to give that extra bit of tilt.

IBA, put the hack saw away. :) I guess that the 26E issue is due to me moving away from the focal point. Its also a TD88 rather than a 110 so my margin for missing it is a lot more probable. I probably need 2 slim lnbs or at least the right holder for 1.

Havent said that your issue with 39E is purely down to a larger gap being required between 28 and 39 on the bracket as you are using a 110 dish. When aligned with any multi-bracketed lnb on 28 degrees, to get 39 (and standing behind the dish) you simply swing the dish to the right until you hit 39. A pretuned box on 39E will help you. You can then realign all the lnbs on the other side.

Bracket - so in your opinion, have I got my bracket in the best possible stance i.e. upside down?

26E - even on my dish its hard to get - if I even tighten one of the bolts that adjust the elevation, I can lose the signal - so we are talking here half a screw/bolt turn.

39 - Previously when I was trying to get 39 I turned teh dish to the left (standing behind the dish) and I only had the one LNB on it connected to the arm and i couldnt get a whisper - should I have been turning it to teh right?

So you still reckon I can get Sat 39 when I have prime focus on Sat 26?

Also, my elevation is 25 approx. On dishpointer.com it says that me elevation should be 22 for my location to get sat 26, but if I have it on 22 I dont get anything for Sat 26 at all. Im saying this because for Sat 39, dishpointer states an elevation of about 17/18.

P.S. I liked my hack-saw work - I thought it was quite clever of me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

Iba looks good..can you give a breakdown of the parts and costs and where you purchased please.

Cheers

Iba looks good..can you give a breakdown of the parts and costs and where you purchased please.

Cheers

Thanks.

Not that easy to give you comprehensive break down coz my parts are from all over the world, but Ill try.

Triax 1.1 meter dish - dont know a price coz it was a present - proably cost €60 or €70. Can be bought from many sites, try sat-planet.ie

LNBs - from all over the wrold, ebay, amazon, egypt and Ireland. But maybe a point to know is they are all at least twin lnbs coz I bring one line into the sitting room and another line up to the attic which is then split so that a line can run to each bedroom.

As I want Badr 26 I use a Inverto Black Ultra because its a weak sat from my location and Im also using the same LNB on Astra 28 because thats what I watch teh most and want a good pic all the time. This LNB is on for sale for £16.90 on Amazon. Other twin LNB I got it sat-planet for about €12 or €13 - I think its called Gold Star - perfectly fine LNB.

Cable is from Egypt, think it cost me €10 for 200 meters - a bit more expensive here though.

F connectors - I bought a bag of 100 for about €1.50 in Egypt, more expensive here though

8x1 Diseqc - bought on Ebay ffrom Hong Kong or China for about €8 - much more expensive here and hard to find. Prevuously I had a 4x1 diseqc switch which cost €4 or €5 from sat-planet - was easily the cheapest I could find in Ireland.

Junction Box - €6 or €7 from my local Sparky shop - but if you only use 4x1 Diseqc switch you will not need this as they come with pastic covers. The 8x1 diseqc does not

TV aerial - for Terrestrial TV which is lying across some beams in the Attic cost aboput €13 or €14 in sat-planet

Set Top Boxes - I have 3, Ariva 120 from Poland cost €63. Ariva 250 from Irish seller on Ebay cost about €115. Humax Foxsat 320GB cost about £250 - £300 on Amazon - its about 5 or 6 years old now so I cant remember.

Triax Multi Bracket and 4 LNB holders - cost about €15 ffrom sat-planet

2 LNB Holders free from sat-planet

I think thats about it, hope it helps.

Regards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭willyb007

Wow nice work Iba!
    Thank Goodness we're having a good week weather-wise that you could experiment more!

I was inspired by you from our conversation a couple weeks back to try for 19.2 witn a multi - bracket! Unfortunatly I don't have a 110cm dish - Its not even a Triax, Just a 80cm Smart Dish I bought from an online Irish supplier when I started getting interested in Sats as a hobby to bring in Al Jazeera and Cyfra on 13E. So I had to buy another kind of LNB Multi-Bracket to work for 19.2E.

I was also interested in picking up 9/10E but to no avail, Ive come to the conclusion my dish is just too small. Even bought an Inverto Slim LNB From Sat Planet but even jamming this right next to 13E only gave me 7E!

I would really love bring in 26E But I tried to no avail also Guessing Dish too Small. I have 1 spacing left on my LNB Bracket so what other Sat would you recommend for me seeing I have 13E & 19.2E working with great quality (Albeit Jammed against each other!) Will post pictures when finished work.

Hopefully I can get a Triax 110 in the future but it will be the future as Im a low paid projectionist with too many weddings, christenings, communions, birthdays etc etc coming up.

willyb007 wrote: »
    Wow nice work Iba!
    Thank Goodness we're having a good week weather-wise that you could experiment more!

I was inspired by you from our conversation a couple weeks back to try for 19.2 witn a multi - bracket! Unfortunatly I don't have a 110cm dish - Its not even a Triax, Just a 80cm Smart Dish I bought from an online Irish supplier when I started getting interested in Sats as a hobby to bring in Al Jazeera and Cyfra on 13E. So I had to buy another kind of LNB Multi-Bracket to work for 19.2E.

I was also interested in picking up 9/10E but to no avail, Ive come to the conclusion my dish is just too small. Even bought an Inverto Slim LNB From Sat Planet but even jamming this right next to 13E only gave me 7E!

I would really love bring in 26E But I tried to no avail also Guessing Dish too Small. I have 1 spacing left on my LNB Bracket so what other Sat would you recommend for me seeing I have 13E & 19.2E working with great quality (Albeit Jammed against each other!) Will post pictures when finished work.

Hopefully I can get a Triax 110 in the future but it will be the future as Im a low paid projectionist with too many weddings, christenings, communions, birthdays etc etc coming up.

An 80cm dish will easily get Astra 28, Astra 19, 16 and Hotbird 13 - look at STBs pic, he opnly has an 80cm dish.

For Badr 26 though, I think a 1.1m dish is needed.

BTW I may be wrong that I have 9/10 it could be 7 - wont have time to work on it again till the weekend.

How much the inverto ffrom sat-planet?

Love to see a pic.

Oh yeah, recommendation would be to get Astra 28

Great post Iba..I wonder what the price difference and functionality difference would be if your set up is compared to the Wavefrontier Toroidal t90 set up?? Anybody used either of the two and can give advice?

I may start ordering components from your list soon.Once again cheers:)

An 80cm dish will easily get Astra 28, Astra 19, 16 and Hotbird 13 - look at STBs pic, he opnly has an 80cm dish.

For Badr 26 though, I think a 1.1m dish is needed.

BTW I may be wrong that I have 9/10 it could be 7 - wont have time to work on it again till the weekend.

How much the inverto ffrom sat-planet?

Love to see a pic.

Oh yeah, recommendation would be to get Astra 28

Thanks Again Iba

Will Post a Pic when finished work tonight if not, Ill post one tomorrow.
    I have a separate sky dish for 28E but It would be handy i suppose get rid of that dish and just use the one dish with multi-bracket.

But I will be looking into getting a 1.1m dish around the summer time.

Sorry Iba forgot answer your question, The Slim Inverto LNB off Sat Planet was only 9.95 before packaging I think. Cheapo for a good quality LNB. (Its only single output though couldn't find a twin output anywhere!)

Great post Iba..I wonder what the price difference and functionality difference would be if your set up is compared to the Wavefrontier Toroidal t90 set up?? Anybody used either of the two and can give advice?

I may start ordering components from your list soon.Once again cheers:)

I just google what that is, wow what a dish, u can get every sat under the sun on that - how much does it cost?

https://www.google.ie/search?q=Wavefrontier+Toroidal+t90&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=ON9&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=tTEtUZ7CFILPhAeovoCQDA&ved=0CC4QsAQ&biw=1440&bih=750#imgrc=_

willyb007 wrote: »
    Sorry Iba forgot answer your question, The Slim Inverto LNB off Sat Planet was only 9.95 before packaging I think. Cheapo for a good quality LNB. (Its only single output though couldn't find a twin output anywhere!)

The twin is on Amazon at £16.90

http://www.satworld.ie/product-info.php?Wavefrontier_T90_Torodial_Satellite_Dish-pid248.html
    €190 looks impressive indeed but extra lnb's look expensive from them.I wonder how many sats i could get from dublin 14 !!?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

you still reckon I can get Sat 39 when I have prime focus on Sat 26?

Shouldn't be a problem to get 39 or 42 east with a TD110 aligned on 26, if you can get the lnb in the right position (assuming the dish can 'see' the satellites, of course).

I can't be much help as regards the suitability of the Triax multiblock, as I was just playing around holding an lnb in front of the dish. Good quality signal on the few tps I tried, whenever I managed to keep the lnb in just the right place.

• Advertisement

As promised im posting pictures of my set-up. Im only a beginner at this and do not possess a Triax or T90 (Altough I would love to!!!) But I think ive done good for messing around with the equipment i already have. Like Iba, I am only an enthusiast and like do do this in my spare time for fun.

I've attached pictures of my 80cm dish with some kind of generic multi-bracket. I will attach more pictures soon.

Advertisement