Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Smokers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

MaxSteele wrote: »
    The majority of my mates who smoke have all tried numerous times to give up or stay off. Not one of them enjoys it.

Most smokers start young cos they think it's cool. Which is natural in itself. That's how all the people I know, including the aul fella started off.

I don't for a second believe even 10% of the people I see smoking whether addicted or socially enjoy it.

which leads you to conclude they do it cause?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Someone, who calls himself 'social smoker' is looking for an excuse, imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭ian87

When I used to smoke and was asked by (90% of the time young women) for a fag, I'd ask had they 7 quid in their pockets. They would always say "yes, why?" and id tell them go inside, there was a machine there that would give you a whole pack... Now fack off you leech.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

orestes wrote: »
    Smokers who want to quit but can't aren't social smokers, they're addicted.

Basing wide-sweeping opinions on people you know and what you believe aren't really a good starting point since you're probably just going to disregard whatever doesn't fit in with how you already see things. People have already given a few good reasons that people smoke while they drink, but you're dismissing them because you just don't believe them.

Not everyone who smokes wants to quit, some people actually enjoy smoking, I know I sure as hell do.

But that's the thing. I've asked loads of people when out ....

" since when do you smoke ?"
    "only when I drink"
    "How come ?"
    "Dunno just do"

Or something vague like that. None of them have actually said they enjoyed it. And the vast majority of those I know who are addicted lament the day they ever started. Hence why I came here and posted this thread.

If some of you actually enjoy it, well then fine. (Inhaling toxic smoke for enjoyment boggles my mind but whatever). I just didn't believe social smokers did it for enjoyment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I am an ex smoker and have to say that I loved to smoke. There was the addiction element of course but a cigarette with a pint just felt as natural as vinegar on my chips. It just enhanced the experience somehow. The same is true of the first cigarette in the morning or the cuppa with a cigarette after dinner.
    The one thing I miss most is when things are getting stressed I can no longer pop out for a smoke. Popping out and just standing in front of the building for 10 minutes seems pointless (to me anyway:D).

I tried the social smoker part but when they removed the pack of 10's from sale I hated buying 20 as that would mean smoking the next day too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I quit smoking in 2000. When I smoked I enjoyed every cigarette. Couldn't stand whining smokers who constantly complained about their habit. If you're gonna smoke you should defend it. Otherwise there's no point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Once they buy their own and don't scab all night because 'there'd be no point in them buying a pack because they only smoke when having a few drinks' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Don't see the issue. Smoking can be enjoyable - why shouldn't some people be allowed to do it just because they happen to be able to partake without becoming addicted? I hate 'real' smokers giving out about social smokers because the 'real' smokers have such a victim complex about it. 'Sure, I only smoke because I'm addicted, it's not my fault, I don't choose to smoke, wah wah wah'. Grow the fck up. Would you like to be accosted in the pub by an alcoholic giving out that you're pathetic because you can go out for a couple of drinks for the craic just and they can't? What's the difference?

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    Don't see the issue. Smoking can be enjoyable - why shouldn't some people be allowed to do it just because they happen to be able to partake without becoming addicted? I hate 'real' smokers giving out about social smokers because the 'real' smokers have such a victim complex about it. 'Sure, I only smoke because I'm addicted, it's not my fault, I don't choose to smoke, wah wah wah'. Grow the fck up. Would you like to be accosted in the pub by an alcoholic giving out that you're pathetic because you can go out for a couple of drinks for the craic just and they can't? What's the difference?

Difference is a social drinker like myself doesn't need to be in a pub to drink alcohol. I'll have a drink wherever. Do you reckon those who just drink with a pint would do it at home or during a work break ?

I wouldn't think so myself.

Difference is a social drinker like myself doesn't need to be in a pub to drink alcohol. I'll have a drink wherever. Do you reckon those who just drink with a pint would do it at home or during a work break ?

I wouldn't think so myself.

A lot of people would only really drink in the pub. Who drinks pints during a work break? More to the point, what's it to you? How does this affect you in any way?

• Advertisement

A lot of people would only really drink in the pub. Who drinks pints during a work break? More to the point, what's it to you? How does this affect you in any way?

It doesn't. I'm just asking. Calm down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

You are either a smoker or not. There is no in-between. If you smoke, even one a week, you are a smoker.

"Self-delusional smokers" would be a more appropriate title.

It doesn't. I'm just asking. Calm down.

I am calm. Just don't get how you can label someone pathetic for indulging in something that's bad for them, in a place where everyone is drinking alcohol. Or how a social smoker is pathetic whereas a regular smoker isn't. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

The majority of my mates who smoke have all tried numerous times to give up or stay off. Not one of them enjoys it.

Bollix to that too. Anyone I know that smokes loves there smoke. They hate the fact that they ever started of course but IMO anyone that smoke enjoys it, myself included. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Snowie wrote: »
    Because its a soical :) every ones willing to chat talk etc when your a smoker because your out side... Also nice way of chattin up girls too :D
    I love smoking areas.

They are great for keeping all the women with bad breath in the one place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I spend half of my night's out wandering in and out of the smoking area and I've never thought "jaysus, I'll look like a right tool with just a drink in my hand".

That sounds really sad, wandering around on your own with no friends. Good thing you have boards to keep you company.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Supermensch

How do you regard people who smoke cigars, or pipes, OP? In general, neither could be considered 'social' smoking, but they are examples of smoking for enjoyment (that, or projecting an image, at least).

I am calm. Just don't get how you can label someone pathetic for indulging in something that's bad for them, in a place where everyone is drinking alcohol. Or how a social smoker is pathetic whereas a regular smoker isn't. :confused:

Regular smokers have an addiction. Social smokers only do it when drinking. I don't get why they don't do it normally bar a friday or saturday night if they enjoy it so much. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

You see that's an attitude I can't stand. Why do some people insist on judging other people for what they do. It's none of your business so kindly butt out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Brace yourself OP.

Drink can actually change behavior.

• Advertisement

JJayoo wrote: »
    That sounds really sad, wandering around on your own with no friends. Good thing you have boards to keep you company.

Aren't you just gas ? Who said I don't actually enjoy the smoking area where half my friends spend most of the night ? Of course sitting down to deafening music and not being able to have a conversation is how cool cats like yourself operate ?

P_1 wrote: »
    You see that's an attitude I can't stand. Why do some people insist on judging other people for what they do. It's none of your business so kindly butt out

Maybe I did come on too strong in the OP.

Nice pun actually. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭HTML5!

I enjoy a few smokes when I'm out drinking.

For me, they go hand-in-hand.

Sometimes having a drink without a smoke is like having a hamburger without chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Some people only enjoy the alcohol tobacco combination and others feel it helps the intoxication.

How do you regard people who smoke cigars, or pipes, OP? In general, neither could be considered 'social' smoking, but they are examples of smoking for enjoyment (that, or projecting an image, at least).

That's what I'm getting at. Solely smoking when in a pub just doesn't seem genuine if you actually enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

indough wrote: »
    social smokers

As a smoker I find the throat hit to be the most satisfying part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Culleeo

There is no such thing as social smoking in my opinion. You either smoke or you don't smoke. A "social smoker" is just as addicted as a "full time smoker" because if they weren't, they wouldn't smoke at all. Why do they have to smoke when they're drinking? Their addiction surfaces when they're drinking.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Culleeo wrote: »
    There is no such thing as social smoking in my opinion. You either smoke or you don't smoke. A "social smoker" is just as addicted as a "full time smoker" because if they weren't, they wouldn't smoke at all. Why do they have to smoke when they're drinking? They're addiction surfaces when they're drinking.

Why do you drink when you're smoking

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

Awaits a logical reply to that one, wouldn't recommend holding your breath though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Culleeo

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

My addiction surfaces when I'm smoking.

Seriously though. People that smoke everyday are obviously going to smoke when they're drinking too but why does a "social smoker" have to smoke when they're drinking? I think it's because they're addicted too and that addiction surfaces when they have a drink.

A "social smoker" could drink 1-2-3 nights a week and may smoke the same amount of cigarettes when they're drinking as a "full time" smoker would in a week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement