Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Smokers

Options
  • 23-02-2013 4:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

What's you opinion on "social smokers" ? I.e "I only smoke when I drink".

Seems kind of pathetic to me being brutally honest. Smoking just for the sake of it or thinking you can't be within the smoking area of a pub or club without a ciggie in your hand.

I spend half of my night's out wandering in and out of the smoking area and I've never thought "jaysus, I'll look like a right tool with just a drink in my hand".

Everyone's well aware of it's dangers and addiction rate, so why do it when you have no addiction or urge for it ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Because drunk people aren't known for making rational decisions.

Having the odd one isn't a big deal if someone can keep it like that. Same as most things. I used to smoke so I doubt I could just have the odd one and I'm just jealous of people who can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

MaxSteele wrote: »
    What's you opinion on "social smokers" ? I.e "I only smoke when I drink".

Seems kind of pathetic to me being brutally honest. Smoking just for the sake of it or thinking you can't be within the smoking area of a pub or club without a ciggie in your hand.

I spend half of my night's out wandering in and out of the smoking area and I've never thought "jaysus, I'll look like a right tool with just a drink in my hand".

Everyone's well aware of it's dangers and addiction rate, so why do it when you have no addiction or urge for it ?

I hate obese people who eat even though they don't need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Why drink if you're not an alcoholic and have no addiction or urge for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

OneArt wrote: »
    Why drink if you're not an alcoholic and have no addiction or urge for it?

Just because it gets you drunk, doesn't mean you drink it for the sole purpose of getting in a state. Same could be said about coca cola. Why drink it if it's not good for you ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Just because it gets you drunk, doesn't mean you drink it for the sole purpose of getting in a state. Same could be said about coca cola. Why drink it if it's not good for you ?

because it contains sugar and caffeine, two very addictive substances?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

No problem with them once they buy their own fecking smokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Would ya go an sh1te OP.

If people want to smoke, be it one a year or like a train, it's their own damn business.

because it contains sugar and caffeine, two very addictive substances?

Do you really think many people are addicted to drinking coke ? or just for the taste ?

Who smokes for anything but addiction ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

Who smokes for anything but addiction ?

social smokers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

why does anyone do anything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

What's it to you? I'd there not harming you why worry?

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Would ya go an sh1te OP.

If people want to smoke, be it one a year or like a train, it's their own damn business.

Had one earlier thanks. It was solid, but not too solid. Nice and uncongested.

It was a valid question. Why only when drinking ? Makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I would love to be a social smoker.

But one puff and I would be back to 20odd a day.

I'm jealous of those who can just be social smokers

Lisha wrote: »
    I would love to be a social smoker.

But one puff and I would be back to 20odd a day.

I'm jealous of those who can just be social smokers

Me to but then I started vaping best o booth worlds :)

Snowie wrote: »
    What's it to you? I'd there not harming you why worry?

I'm just curious. Why do most "social smokers" only do it when out drinking ?

Because its a soical :) every ones willing to chat talk etc when your a smoker because your out side... Also nice way of chattin up girls too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

orestes wrote: »
    No problem with them once they buy their own fecking smokes.
    +1 on that. social smoker translates as someone who smokes other peoples gaspers. quite an antisocial thing to be doing really

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Because it is enjoyable to have a smoke with a few pints.

Nate

It's just lovely that's why.

Single people's tell me the smoking area is where it's at for flirting and stuff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

heres a wild guess, could be waaaaaaaaay off the mark, but probably because they enjoy it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I'm addicted to smoking......socially......when drinking!!

Snowie wrote: »
    Because its a soical :) every ones willing to chat talk etc when your a smoker because your out side... Also nice way of chattin up girls too :D

But that's the drink talking :)

'Drink in -truth out'

IM0 wrote: »
    heres a wild guess, could be waaaaaaaaay off the mark, but probably because they enjoy it

The majority of my mates who smoke have all tried numerous times to give up or stay off. Not one of them enjoys it.

Most smokers start young cos they think it's cool. Which is natural in itself. That's how all the people I know, including the aul fella started off.

I don't for a second believe even 10% of the people I see smoking whether addicted or socially enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Toxic7

I only enjoy smoking when i've consumed alcohol.Its not that much of a social thing to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

As a ex smoker the smokes I miss most are the ones I had when I was drinking. Its one of the reasons I don't drink as much, if I do I'll go to the nearest shop and buy myself a packet.

No not really I'm a good drunk... Charming in a rouge and some cheeky manor... :cool:

eviltwin wrote: »
    As a ex smoker the smokes I miss most are the ones I had when I was drinking. Its one of the reasons I don't drink as much, if I do I'll go to the nearest shop and buy myself a packet.

Agreed , and I don't drink really as I'd eat too much crisps now while drinking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

The majority of my mates who smoke have all tried numerous times to give up or stay off. Not one of them enjoys it.

Most smokers start young cos they think it's cool. Which is natural in itself. That's how all the people I know, including the aul fella started off.

I don't for a second believe even 10% of the people I see smoking whether addicted or socially enjoy it.

Smokers who want to quit but can't aren't social smokers, they're addicted.

Basing wide-sweeping opinions on people you know and what you believe aren't really a good starting point since you're probably just going to disregard whatever doesn't fit in with how you already see things. People have already given a few good reasons that people smoke while they drink, but you're dismissing them because you just don't believe them.

Not everyone who smokes wants to quit, some people actually enjoy smoking, I know I sure as hell do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement