Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motivation weight loss clinic

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 JJ10

So who on this thread has actually tired motivations program and had success or failure? How many times have you tried to lose weight? either with a companies help or without.

The reason people go to companies like motivation etc is because they can't do it on their own and are able to recognise that is a major issue.

People constantly argue the money issue but I'm sure people that are overweight are spending good sums of money each month on unhealthy items. I just think that if someone sees they have a problem and use a weight management company to help them then they shouldn't be made feel stupid for spending their money on a possible solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Matteroffact

I would not think that going to a weight management company is a stupid idea, but I do think that there are companies that don't charge anything like the Motivation Clinic and get the same results. So if I were going to go to one of these companies I would try the cheaper ones first. At the end of the day it is the individual who does all the work so why shell out money just for the privilege of putting in the effort yourself. It doesn't make sense to me, but like some other poster said if it takes shelling out 600 as a deposit and then 30 euro a week after that to motivate a person then let them at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Katgurl

JJ10 wrote: »
    So who on this thread has actually tired motivations program and had success or failure? How many times have you tried to lose weight? either with a companies help or without.

The reason people go to companies like motivation etc is because they can't do it on their own and are able to recognise that is a major issue.

People constantly argue the money issue but I'm sure people that are overweight are spending good sums of money each month on unhealthy items. I just think that if someone sees they have a problem and use a weight management company to help them then they shouldn't be made feel stupid for spending their money on a possible solution.

I went to WW, I succeeded then failed.
    I went to motivation, total fail.
    I read the stickies here - I am succeeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Loosing weight is difficult, and no matter how you do it congratulations are in order, but congratulations to the person not the system. MWL however tells you that you use food as a crutch, they "tackle" why you eat too much, but swapping the crutch of food for the crutch of MWL babble and products. According to their own research (I posted a few pages back) only 15% of people keep the weight off for 3 years.
    The entire diet industry is built on a foundation of lies and half truths.

Motivation get some things right e.g. cut back on the carbs but the products they support are A) overly expensive and B) of very poor nutritional quality.

Its darn hard to sex up cut back your carbs especially sugar and wheat, move way more and eat plenty of fruit, veg, meat, eggs, fish, nuts, seeds etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1 justforthis

Any update from people currently on the MWC programme? Have my first consultation tomorrow, feeling excited albeit a little apprehensive.

Have read lots of posts on this forum and can appreciate the different points of view. Myself I'm just interested in peoples direct experience of the programme.

Have 2.5 stone to shed. Had my fourth child this year and stuck in a rut. Was always in great shape and very fit before I entered motherhood, took career break, and got in the habit of putting little ones first time-wise etc. and of course comfort eating. Done with all that now, so just want the support to get back to my old self (and weight) and then I can take it from there.

So would love to hear more updates on peoples experiences of the Motivation Clinics. Thanks guys :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 time2change222

Any update from people currently on the MWC programme? Have my first consultation tomorrow, feeling excited albeit a little apprehensive.

Have read lots of posts on this forum and can appreciate the different points of view. Myself I'm just interested in peoples direct experience of the programme.

Have 2.5 stone to shed. Had my fourth child this year and stuck in a rut. Was always in great shape and very fit before I entered motherhood, took career break, and got in the habit of putting little ones first time-wise etc. and of course comfort eating. Done with all that now, so just want the support to get back to my old self (and weight) and then I can take it from there.

So would love to hear more updates on peoples experiences of the Motivation Clinics. Thanks guys :-)
    Justforthis - very best of luck with Motivation - I did it and am now currently on maintenance - it worked really well for me- I had a tough time mid way through it where I didn't lose for a few weeks but my advisor really helped me through that, and although I wasn't 100% on the plan at the time I was still keeping up a lot of good behaviours that I NEVER had before - which in the past I would have thrown in the towel because I was a HUGE perfectionist and an emotional eater - I can cope better now with my behaviours and am really aware when I am most vulnerable mainly when I'm upset, stressed or if hormones are acting up, and what you learn about hypoglycaemia that was a huge wake up call for me!
    my advice to you is to just open up to everything on the plan-keep track of everything in your food diary even your emotions as the more info you have the more your advisor the more they can guide and help you, get organised and try and put yourself first! Something I always found hard to do - learn to be assertive! but still learning! :)
    I really found the one to one sessions a huge benefit and my advisor was always kind and understanding but gave me the encouragement I needed to keep at it
    very best of luck with it- let us know how you do!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I am considering going to one of these clinics but I am quite embarrassed by the whole thing. I have a stereotype in my mind of it being all overweight middle-aged women, is this true? or is it something on a 1 to 1 basis.

On January first I promised myself I would lose weight this year and I joined a gym 35kms away from home so I would avoid meeting people I knew and being embarrassed as at least it is all strangers there. I also cut down my eating drastically and subsequently lost 3 stone between January and June, on December 27th before my news years resolution pledge I booked a trip to Thailand and South East Asia and that was massive motivation to me. Even though my Gym takes over half an hours drive away I kept going and lost the weight.

When I returned from Asia in the summer I found out I had lost another 3 pounds weight and was delighted. My weight bottomed out at 11st 4lbs and my BMI was bordering on almost 25 for the first time in over 15 years. However I just can't bring myself to go back to the gym because I can't see the result and I went to the gym like 3 times a week each week in September and October and my weight remained totally static.

Each step onto the weighing scales was just another demoralizing act, I hurt my knee then two weeks and haven't been able to do much since. I have gained around 5lbs weight despite just eating very little and I fear I am on the edge of just gaining back all the weight I lost.

I am determined to beat my weight issue and take control of my life rather than my weight controlling me, during the summer I felt great and had such confidence but this all gone now and I still feel a fatguy trapped in my body. I have a warchest of around €9,000 saved over the last while outside of my general savings and I am very tempted to just go abroad and have a gastric bypass done as I don't think I will ever manage to control my weight any other way, I don't eat fruit or vegetables and can't eat them as I literally gag at the sort of foods I should be eating, this is just how I was raised and was ever only fed the worst type of thrash as a child by my parents who were ignorant of these things.

I am not afraid to spend money to get this fixed for once and for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Stinicker wrote: »
    I am very tempted to just go abroad and have a gastric bypass done as I don't think I will ever manage to control my weight any other way, I don't eat fruit or vegetables and can't eat them as I literally gag at the sort of foods I should be eating, this is just how I was raised and was ever only fed the worst type of thrash as a child by my parents who were ignorant of these things.

I am not afraid to spend money to get this fixed for once and for all.

Spending all that money on a gastric bypass will not fix the problem. You will still have to eat afterwards even with a much reduced stomach.

From what you have written here, the way you eat is not sustainable. Eating is for life, not just a diet for a period of time or an operation that may not fix the problem.

Throwing money at this problem will not solve it. You are an adult not a child who is still fed by your parents. You have a choice as to what, when and how you can eat. Nobody is forcing you into the supermarket or the takeaway or telling you to eat everything on your plate. These are choices you make for yourself.

I would suggest that you visit your GP and get a referral to a dietician. You have to find something that you can do for life not just the short term. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

Spending all that money on a gastric bypass will not fix the problem. You will still have to eat afterwards even with a much reduced stomach.

I'm not sure where you get your data from, but in general gastric bypass is quite successful in weight loss and solving other obesity complications. There is also wide variety of possible surgeries connected with weight loss and each one has its risks and different success rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I'm not generalising to all gastric bypasses. It just that based on what Stinicker has posted I don't think a gastric bypass will solve his problems.

Anyone who avoids people they know to go to a gym 35 km away to exercise, cuts down on eating dramatically and considers vegetables to be something to gag on is not living in a sustainable way. A gastric bypass does not solve those issues.

As Stinicker nearly got to goal weight, it would appear that he is not overly obese and may need something more achievable than drastic weight loss surgery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Mitzy24

Hey, just a quick update!! Well I'm 5 stone down from my starting weight, I'm 8 7 and in a size 8!! I'm so happy with the changes I've made!! I have since my programme finished a few months ago and haven't gained 1 lb!! Exercise is also something that has a huge influence on my life and keeps everything in check!!

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭CBFi

Mitzy24 wrote: »
    Hey, just a quick update!! Well I'm 5 stone down from my starting weight, I'm 8 7 and in a size 8!! I'm so happy with the changes I've made!! I have since my programme finished a few months ago and haven't gained 1 lb!! Exercise is also something that has a huge influence on my life and keeps everything in check!!

Thanks for the update Mitzy - really inspirational! well done.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Caros

I started 10 weeks ago and I've nearly 2 stone down. I'm loving the programme, I think it's a very sustainable way to lose weight and keep it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

Just wondering how peoples final results were on this plan? Did ye manage to keep all the weight off etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dove2011

hi joined Motivation back in October 2012 at 11st7lbs; was successful up until Christmas & got down to 10st 7lbs in feb 2013; I am currently 12st 4 now; so was not successful on this programme I actually think it did more bad than good; as I started looking at carbs in a negative way & it so restrictive. I now have good carbs at every meal.
    I have just started unislim & have seen other members with great success. They are really supportive with facebook chat rooms; my leader has her own facebook page; gets motivational texts throughout the week & the leader is at the end of the phone when the needs be. Over the next 10 weeks my leader & I have set a target of 1stone by just changing my diet slightly & some exercise.
    I would stay away from Motivation; I have an amount of protein bars in my press still. I was never a chocolate bar person until I started eating the protein bars; now I crave chocolate.

Also my sister, my cousin & my friend tried it; all unsucessful at motivation; it embarrassing the amount of money I spent. The worst thing for me about gaining & loosing weight; the stone I have gained in the last 6 months; I see no difference in been 12st 4 & been 11st 7; which is a lot but I dont see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

I am in the same boat, while on the plan I was very successful, lost a lot of weight (Almost 5 stone) but since coming off I have gradually gained it all back and a few lbs extra for good luck...:o
    Yes it was a good short term option but I know first hand probably 4/5 other people with similiar feedback to me, lost it only to gain it all back. I was asking incase it was just me and my lack of willpower to keep it off...! Still have some protein snacks left over myself. Thanks for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭anewme

What I did not like about Motivation was that they were trying to make out there is some hidden reason why people eat.

"we get to the root cause of your weight problem by helping you tackle the reasons for your unhealthy eating behaviour"

In my case, there was no reason. Nada. I had become greedy and lazy because..........I had become greedy and lazy. That was it. I joined motivation and lost a stone in about 3 weeks...........I was flipping starving, and the bars were horrible. They kept trying to find a reason why I was overweight but there was not any. When I stopped weight motivation I put the stone back on and another few pounds too.

Now I eat healthy and exercise. I've since lost approx. 2 stone from when I was my biggest and am happy out. I was never what you would call big or look at, but I had become a lazy slob and nothing was going to change until I changed that. No amount of paying other people will help if you are not in the mindset.

I had to give myself some discipline, and a hard talking to. Motivation was a waste of time and money and the diet was not realistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

Hey all
    Only a few days on the 'diet' now, have to say it doesn't feel like a diet at all. Was recommended by a friend who lost 10kg easily and has kept it off. I only have about 5kg to lose so she gave me the booklet and explained the plan. I have stuck to it religiously but have to say I find I am NEVER hungry. I thought I would be distraught at having e.g. only one egg and one slice of bread for breakfast but I am still full after, which goes to show I was eating way too much anyway.
    I should say I made my own protein bars, I had all the ingredients int he house, but I made them with whey protein, low fat coconut milk, porridge oats and organic/no added sugar peanut butter. You can get buckets of that in health shops. I put in the recipe on My Fitness Pal down to the gram and they have 16g protein per bar, 200 cals each compared to about 140 for the Motivation ones (probably due to peanut butter) but given that I am only eating about 900 cals a day the extra few probably don't matter. (The cost of each bar roughly is about 50cent but only because the whey protein is 60 euro a tub and the peanut butter is about 8 quid a tub i.e. they are the expensive ingredients).
    I don't have any emotional reasons for eating (just a month of post exams boozing and all inclusive hols!) or any of that so I don't feel I need counselling and TBH I wouldn't pay 650 quid for it but I know a lot of people do have other reasons for eating and my friend found the programme great. She just said the protein bars were too expensive but I reckon I have solved that ;-) The link for the protein bars I made is here:
    http://neilarey.com/recipes/homemade-no-bake-protein-bars.html
    NB. I only used 200g Lidl ready oats, 200g peanut butter, 5 scoops of protein as recommended and I made it with low fat coconut milk instead of coconut cream. I divided the tray into 16. They taste like snickers bars!

Anyway I will post later if I lose any weight but just to say
    1. you will NOT be hungry on this 'diet'
    2. you can just make your own bars
    3. If you haven't done the diet or know a friend who has, not much point giving out on this. It makes for a really annoying thread to see all the cynics interrupting people's experiences, whether good or bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

etymon wrote: »
    Hey all
    Only a few days on the 'diet' now, have to say it doesn't feel like a diet at all. Was recommended by a friend who lost 10kg easily and has kept it off. I only have about 5kg to lose so she gave me the booklet and explained the plan. I have stuck to it religiously but have to say I find I am NEVER hungry. I thought I would be distraught at having e.g. only one egg and one slice of bread for breakfast but I am still full after, which goes to show I was eating way too much anyway.
    I should say I made my own protein bars, I had all the ingredients int he house, but I made them with whey protein, low fat coconut milk, porridge oats and organic/no added sugar peanut butter. You can get buckets of that in health shops. I put in the recipe on My Fitness Pal down to the gram and they have 16g protein per bar, 200 cals each compared to about 140 for the Motivation ones (probably due to peanut butter) but given that I am only eating about 900 cals a day the extra few probably don't matter. (The cost of each bar roughly is about 50cent but only because the whey protein is 60 euro a tub and the peanut butter is about 8 quid a tub i.e. they are the expensive ingredients).
    I don't have any emotional reasons for eating (just a month of post exams boozing and all inclusive hols!) or any of that so I don't feel I need counselling and TBH I wouldn't pay 650 quid for it but I know a lot of people do have other reasons for eating and my friend found the programme great. She just said the protein bars were too expensive but I reckon I have solved that ;-) The link for the protein bars I made is here:
    http://neilarey.com/recipes/homemade-no-bake-protein-bars.html
    NB. I only used 200g Lidl ready oats, 200g peanut butter, 5 scoops of protein as recommended and I made it with low fat coconut milk instead of coconut cream. I divided the tray into 16. They taste like snickers bars!

Anyway I will post later if I lose any weight but just to say
    1. you will NOT be hungry on this 'diet'
    2. you can just make your own bars
    3. If you haven't done the diet or know a friend who has, not much point giving out on this. It makes for a really annoying thread to see all the cynics interrupting people's experiences, whether good or bad

You're only eating 900 calories a day, and you're not hungry? I find it pretty difficult to believe that you can starve yourself like that and not be hungry.

Yeah it's really weird, maybe because you can eat loads of broccoli etc and also the eggs and beans and chicken etc is so filling, I thought I'd be starving and couldn't believe when I logged everything into myfitnesspal and came up with about 900 cals. I am literally eating every 3 hours and not hungry. I dunno. Will see how it goes but so far so good. If I was hungry this wouldn't last, trust me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I did the 1200 calorie motivation plan about 5 years ago and I was absolutely starving. It was just too restrictive and there was an awful lot of weighing and measuring on stuff. My boss did it at the time as well. Both of us lost about a stone in about 3 weeks, think he did his in two as he was bigger.

Neither of us kept it off. I put mine back on and a couple of pounds.

To me motivation was one of the biggest wastes of money ever! I wish I could have my 650 back! Would not recommend under any circumstances.

If you are a person who needs a group, do Slimming World, Unislim, or Weight Watchers. While those clubs are not perfect (anyone who can advocate pink n white wafers or mugshots are not perfect) they do work if you follow the plan and are much cheaper than motivation.

For me, it was more to do with a change of lifestyle and actually getting some exercise in.

My mum is doing Slimming World and dropping the pounds and never hungry, she did WW loads of times and yeah I tried those pink and whites (dodge city) but listen if I can drop a few kilos and keep em off I'll be happy. I am not one for putting weight back on generally as I exercise so much but the last few months have just been crazy. It is all defo about long term habit changes, I agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

My mum is doing Slimming World and dropping the pounds and never hungry, she did WW loads of times and yeah I tried those pink and whites (dodge city) but listen if I can drop a few kilos and keep em off I'll be happy. I am not one for putting weight back on generally as I exercise so much but the last few months have just been crazy. It is all defo about long term habit changes, I agree.

are you sure you'll keep it off, though?

I'm not trying to be rude, but 900 cals a day is starvation territory. You more than likely will not stick to 900 cals a day after the programme (you'd be mental if you did), so you'll automatically increase your cals, which may cause the weight to go back on. You'd be much better off working out your maintenance cals from mfp and cutting that by 500. Way more sustainable than starving yourself.

Yeah I know what you're saying. I haven't exercised in a month though and I usually do 5-6 workouts a week on about 1800 cals a day plus weekend boozing and maintain my weight. I reckon if I shift them and now that I' m back exercising I should be ok. I was just looking for a quick way to shift the pounds.
    Starvation territory is true but I find it so odd that I'm just not hungry. Just did a 7km run and no energy issues.
    Will post back and let ye all know if I actually lose any weight and if I keep it off ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,738 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Yeah I know what you're saying. I haven't exercised in a month though and I usually do 5-6 workouts a week on about 1800 cals a day plus weekend boozing and maintain my weight. I reckon if I shift them and now that I' m back exercising I should be ok. I was just looking for a quick way to shift the pounds.
    Starvation territory is true but I find it so odd that I'm just not hungry. Just did a 7km run and no energy issues.
    Will post back and let ye all know if I actually lose any weight and if I keep it off ;-)

Well how'd it go?

Advertisement