Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ketchup or red sauce?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Red Sauce
    seenitall wrote: »
    I remember coming to Ireland for the first time back in the day, and falling about laughing at people calling ketchup 'tomato ketchup'. :D What else would ketchup be, but tomato?

A lot like the title of that Michael Douglas film, "Falling Down". :pac: (I know, betraying my age here, big time...)

There are other types of ketchup. Perhaps you should be laughing at your own lack of culinary knowledge?

I pretty much always call it ketchup now, but as a child I called it red sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Red Sauce
    Red sauce sounds ridiculous. First of all the obvious point that many sauces are red. But secondly it just makes you sound like a retard who finds the actual name too difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭hames

Red Sauce
    Country people love calling it red sauce
    Country people also love the "chef" kind, where the more urbane urbanite favors "heinz".

these are incontrovertible facts and anyone who disputes them is an apologist for country people and their strange, eccentric ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Red Sauce
    who cares its mank!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭noxqs

I remember coming to Ireland for the first time back in the day, and falling about laughing at people calling ketchup 'tomato ketchup'. :D What else would ketchup be, but tomato?

A lot like the title of that Michael Douglas film, "Falling Down". :pac: (I know, betraying my age here, big time...)

From wiki:
    Ketchup started out as a general term for sauce, typically made of mushrooms or fish brine with herbs and spices. Mushroom ketchup is still available in some countries, such as the UK.

And where its not available - lots still make a sort of mushroom ketchup as it goes quite well with beef.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

4.5kg drum of Kandee catering ketchup ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Three tomatoes are walking down the street- a poppa tomato, a momma tomato, and a little baby tomato. Baby tomato starts lagging behind. Poppa tomato gets angry, goes over to the baby tomato, and smooshes him... and says, Catch up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,527 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Mena wrote: »
    Three tomatoes are walking down the street- a poppa tomato, a momma tomato, and a little baby tomato. Baby tomato starts lagging behind. Poppa tomato gets angry, goes over to the baby tomato, and smooshes him... and says, Catch up.

Get out

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Red Sauce

Ketjap Manis
    http://atouchofdutch.com/images/conimex_ketjap_manis.jpg

Fiece popular in Laois/Offaly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

red sauce or brown sauce - that is all.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 368 ✭✭Morph the Cat

Red Sauce
    Always assumed "red sauce" was a lower class thing. Like "Santy".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I've heard tomato sauce/ ketchup isn't actually 100% tomato but they have been adding grapes.

The story is about to break on sky news. Stay tuned for. Ore info

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Dante

Red Sauce
    Ketsup.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

we are the same, you & I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Red sauce, obviously :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

Red Sauce
    Mattey sauce

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Red Sauce
    I say ketchup most people I know say red sauce.

I sometimes say brown sauce for BBQ as I have a english accent some people can't understand me when I say that word.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Red Sauce
    There's only one valid question when it comes to ketchup - incidentally I just answered your question there - and that's Heinz or Chef.

Kandee Ketchup.

OP, there is more than one sauce which is red. Someone who'd say "I want red sauce on my chips" probably lives in their pyjamas. Catsup anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

Red Sauce
    Red sauce is what children say.

You can tell a lot by the way people talk. Some haven't discovered big words like 'Ketchup' as yet.

'Red Sauce'....call it a benchmark of immaturity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

Red Sauce
    it's heinz or nothing and if you don't put it in the fridge i hate you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Chef all the way, red sauce, brown sauce and salad cream.
    None in the fridge apart from the salad cream

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

falling about? really? you're the ignorant one, Dunnes have mushroom ketchup.

This is why I wouldn't call it "tomato sauce" which to me could mean pasta type sauces. Ketchups have vinegar & sugar.

People should try a few more too, you invariably see only heinz & chef mentioned. In some asian shops they have 2 types of delmonte. And I prefer lots of the own brands over heinz & chef, neither of which actually have relatively much tomato in them. There are loads of own brands too, within their own shops they can have 4-5 types. It'd be like beer polls and only having heineken & bud.

I like my ketchups and usually have 3 types in my press at any time, different ones go with different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

I find my brain can switch seamlessly between the two.

This unique ability has opened the door to a whole new world of culinary experiences, from sampling the produce of arse-scratching roadside chip van attendants, to the dizzy heights of Abrakebabra in Drumcondra.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,792 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Barbecue of course, pff you proles with your ketchup and red sauce

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

VinLieger wrote: »
    Barbecue of course
    Most of the sweet brown BBQ sauces are really just variations of tomato ketchup, check them side by side and the main ingredients are very similar. Look at most chefs making up BBQ sauce and the main ingredient is tomato ketchup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭lahalane

Red Sauce
    I used to say red sauce when I was young because its what my parents said but now I refer to it as ketchup.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,792 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

rubadub wrote: »
    Most of the sweet brown BBQ sauces are really just variations of tomato ketchup, check them side by side and the main ingredients are very similar. Look at most chefs making up BBQ sauce and the main ingredient is tomato ketchup.

True but its all in the taste, i favour that Jerk stuff at the moment which you can also get as a ketchup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

I always thought Santy was just an Irish thing. Santa is way to USA for my liking. Another one that annoys me is people calling their mother "mum" or woe betide "mom". She's your Irish mammy for God's sake, and if you're shortening it to anything it should be Mam! I think hallmark have a lot to answer for especially with "mum".

As for ketchup/red sauce, I use both. Ketchup in the likes of McDonalds, Burger King etc. but red sauce at the deli counter. It's context/ who you're speaking to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Chef products are disgusting

That sounds like heinz talk to me! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭McCrack

I remember being in the States and asking a waitress for " red sauce" for my burger and her looking at me wtf are you asking me for sir? I felt like an idiot after.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement