Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A guide to motor insurance & FAQ's

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Masala wrote: »
    I see FBD have a 'Open-Driven ' option on my last search. this means that I can let anyone over 25 drive my car. Am I right#???

If so...will it not be easier to take this option and let my 25 yr old son drive it! So - no need for Named Drivers! And so no need for a hefty add-on cost to name him either! I dont think for Open Driven that the other person must have Insurance in his own name etc??

Am I reading this all wrong???

If your son is over 25 with a full licence then he would be covered under open drive and there would be no need to name him.

Open drive covers people under your own insurance to the same level of cover you have e.g. if you have comp the drivers would have comp once they have a full licence and are over 25.

Driving other cars covers people to drive someone else's car under their own insurance. It's generally for third party only cover however some insurers do give comp driving of other cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭syndrome777

Hi,
    I am 33 yo female.
    I have my full(non Irish) driving licence since I was 18. I had a for 10 years before moving to Ireland (with no claims or points).

I was recently told by a friend who works in car insurance that I will have real difficulty to get anyone to insure me as I am now over 30 and have no Irish driving experience.

He openly told me he know's "his" insurer won't insure me.

So how is this not "discriminating by age" under equality law??

Has anyone had any experience regrading this? I do plan to buy a car this year or next and this has got me very worried.

many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Hi,
    I am 33 yo female.
    I have my full(non Irish) driving licence since I was 18. I had a for 10 years before moving to Ireland (with no claims or points).

I was recently told by a friend who works in car insurance that I will have real difficulty to get anyone to insure me as I am now over 30 and have no Irish driving experience.

He openly told me he know's "his" insurer won't insure me.

So how is this not "discriminating by age" under equality law??

Has anyone had any experience regrading this? I do plan to buy a car this year or next and this has got me very worried.

many thanks
    eu license is a bit of a clutch and attracts extra on policy, that could be solved by simply exchanging license for Irish one.

I thought age factor also is benefit being over 25yrs,so presume what you were told more likely is no driving experience of any kind that will put you in the beginners bracket, that said 10yrs no driving does implicate extra hazard so if any named driving experience use that.

scamalert wrote: »
    eu license is a bit of a clutch and attracts extra on policy, that could be solved by simply exchanging license for Irish one.

I thought age factor also is benefit being over 25yrs,so presume what you were told more likely is no driving experience of any kind that will put you in the beginners bracket, that said 10yrs no driving does implicate extra hazard so if any named driving experience use that.

Thank you for the reply.

I am planning to get my licence changed to Irish very soon, as I heard that helps.
    I stopped driving (sold my car) mid 2013.
    So I have 10 yrs driving exp and full driving licence, but haven't drove since mid 2013.
    I find it very strange that all this things affect your policy here.
    (as non of these things affect it(price) where I am from)

Also as we don't have this main driving things back home, I am not sure how that works. Can I be added to just anyone's policy? like a friend or? (as my parent don't live in Ireland)?
    (we can all drive all cars, as the person is ensured doesn't matter what car it drives and car is ensured no matter who drives it)

Well its Ireland, so have to stick with Irish policies here,i know myself insurance here doesn't work like anywhere else and yes its expensive at very least.

Think if you have bf/gf you can go for named driver, not on friends policies age should be of benefit since means lover risk rest someone knowing more about it might give you better advice.

• Advertisement

scamalert wrote: »
    Well its Ireland, so have to stick with Irish policies here,i know myself insurance here doesn't work like anywhere else and yes its expensive at very least.

Think if you have bf/gf you can go for named driver, not on friends policies age should be of benefit since means lover risk rest someone knowing more about it might give you better advice.
    that's what I thought, and what my work colleagues told me. But now this friend who works in insurance said that if I am over 30 and didn't drive in Ireland, no one will insure me(

Also my bf is in the same situation, same age no exp driving here.
    So i guess we should prepare to pay like 10K together, if anyone will even insure us here :S

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Got my renewal €1250 up from approx €800 last year
    26 y/o male, full licence since 17 and 7 years ncb, 3 points. Driving 07 A4 1.9TD

Shopping around and KennCo Unique are coming up cheapest at around €850

Anyone have experience of them?

that's what I thought, and what my work colleagues told me. But now this friend who works in insurance said that if I am over 30 and didn't drive in Ireland, no one will insure me(

Also my bf is in the same situation, same age no exp driving here.
    So i guess we should prepare to pay like 10K together, if anyone will even insure us here :S
    call to brokers or shop around it wont be near anything that.
    around 2k at worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

Thank you for the reply.

I am planning to get my licence changed to Irish very soon, as I heard that helps.
    I stopped driving (sold my car) mid 2013.
    So I have 10 yrs driving exp and full driving licence, but haven't drove since mid 2013.
    I find it very strange that all this things affect your policy here.
    (as non of these things affect it(price) where I am from)

Also as we don't have this main driving things back home, I am not sure how that works. Can I be added to just anyone's policy? like a friend or? (as my parent don't live in Ireland)?
    (we can all drive all cars, as the person is ensured doesn't matter what car it drives and car is ensured no matter who drives it)
    Yes, you could be added to anyone's policy.
    I know of people who've done that between friends. The only real requirement is that the "named drivers" don't drive the car "too much". What they want to avoid is a trick called fronting. Where someone (your friend, parent, whoever) buys a car, and insures it in their name (cheaply), and then adds you to the policy, and then you drive the car all the time so really it's your car.

Do exchange your licence. I did my test in Ireland, then lived abroad (Europe) and exchanged my licence to another country, then returned to Ireland and drove on that for a while, own insurance. Then one year, insurance up €900 (same company) which went right down again once I exchanged the licence back for an Irish one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Skuxx wrote: »
    Got my renewal €1250 up from approx €800 last year
    26 y/o male, full licence since 17 and 7 years ncb, 3 points. Driving 07 A4 1.9TD

Shopping around and KennCo Unique are coming up cheapest at around €850

Anyone have experience of them?

wont quote my wifes car its a 2009 1.6d
    WTF?

• Advertisement

seanin4711 wrote: »
    wont quote my wifes car its a 2009 1.6d
    WTF?

Did they specifically say they are not quoting the car, or just general refusal to quote? It may be something in your wife's profile that's triggering the block, rather than the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 auburnnxs1982

Hi - I had a car accident 18 years ago - just got a new quote for a policy and something has changed in the T&C,
    "All previous claims \losses must be declared for all drivers regardless of how long ago or insignificant and even if they were only initiated not followed through on or unsuccessful "
    Then goes on to talk about a common register and if you don't declare any new claim won't be considered for payment.

It's crazy don't ye think!! What's the point of insurance if your going to be penalised for every little thing forever!!!

My question is- do I need to tell them about that small accident ? How far back does this register go? Surely there's some time limit ?

Hi - I had a car accident 18 years ago - just got a new quote for a policy and something has changed in the T&C,
    "All previous claims \losses must be declared for all drivers regardless of how long ago or insignificant and even if they were only initiated not followed through on or unsuccessful "
    Then goes on to talk about a common register and if you don't declare any new claim won't be considered for payment.

It's crazy don't ye think!! What's the point of insurance if your going to be penalised for every little thing forever!!!

My question is- do I need to tell them about that small accident ? How far back does this register go? Surely there's some time limit ?

That's ridiculous tbh and I cannot see the insurer getting away with it, sure the spent convictions rule came in recently so this is something along the same lines.

Who is the insurer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 auburnnxs1982

Rod Munch wrote: »
    That's ridiculous tbh and I cannot see the insurer getting away with it, sure the spent convictions rule came in recently so this is something along the same lines.

Who is the insurer?

It's Zurich - commercial policy - it's also over 800 euro for a 02 Isuzu trooper , I was refused insurance from FBD, based on the fact that when I was asked of I'd ever had an accident , I casually answered "I had one about 20 years ago"

Price of insurance is just ridiculous!!!!

It's Zurich - commercial policy - it's also over 800 euro for a 02 Isuzu trooper , I was refused insurance from FBD, based on the fact that when I was asked of I'd ever had an accident , I casually answered "I had one about 20 years ago"

Price of insurance is just ridiculous!!!!

Fbd would not decline you a quote for an accident 20 years ago, there is something else that led to the refusal, perhaps the age of the vehicle.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I have insurance with its4women. I started with them last year as I was a new learner with no ncb and they were one of the few companies who would quote me and were by far the cheapest. When I signed up I had to scan my learner permit and send them the image. My renewal quote came a few weeks ago and was higher than it had been last year, most likely as my car is now 15 years old. But happily I passed my test before I was due to renew so I went into my 'portal' and updated my details and got a new reduced quote. I assumed I'd be asked to scan and send them images of my new licence but I haven't been. Am I supposed to do this anyway? I have a fear that I'm somehow invalidating my insurance by them only having and image of my learner's permit. Tbh, there was a big difference in the price for a learner and a full licence so I'm very surprised I'm not being asked to prove I'm entitled to the latter price.

doubt about invalidating insurance if you updated your license on site then thats that matters.Personally your nothing to lose and call them, issue might be cars age then again having 1yr ncb and full license you can shop around now to see what quotes you will get.
    also renewal should have a mention on the docket is the quote for full license holder or permit.

iguana wrote: »
    I have insurance with its4women. I started with them last year as I was a new learner with no ncb and they were one of the few companies who would quote me and were by far the cheapest. When I signed up I had to scan my learner permit and send them the image. My renewal quote came a few weeks ago and was higher than it had been last year, most likely as my car is now 15 years old. But happily I passed my test before I was due to renew so I went into my 'portal' and updated my details and got a new reduced quote. I assumed I'd be asked to scan and send them images of my new licence but I haven't been. Am I supposed to do this anyway? I have a fear that I'm somehow invalidating my insurance by them only having and image of my learner's permit. Tbh, there was a big difference in the price for a learner and a full licence so I'm very surprised I'm not being asked to prove I'm entitled to the latter price.
    the important thing is that they have the facts, and that you've been honest. So they need to know what licence you have (which they do, you've told them) and you need to be able to demonstrate that fact when required.

Where insurance could get invalidated is where you fill in online "full licence" but still have learner permit. Then you have a tip, other driver contacts your insurance etc., and all sorts of documents come under scrutiny, and you're found to have concealed/distorted material facts... and then your insurance may be invalid.

Whether they want the scans up-front is more an issue for their internal governance really, I'd say, certainly if you have a print-out or online view of your account that shows they have recorded the new status in their system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Kerryswimmer

Can anybody tell me if any insurance companies will except new customers if they had a claim in the past 5 years. MY wife's quote has gone up 400.00 from last year, she wrote off her car 2 years ago and had full no claims bonus protection. I rang Allianz as I'm with them but would not quote as she claimed in the last 5 years
    Thanks

Can anybody tell me if any insurance companies will except new customers if they had a claim in the past 5 years. MY wife's quote has gone up 400.00 from last year, she wrote off her car 2 years ago and had full no claims bonus protection. I rang Allianz as I'm with them but would not quote as she claimed in the last 5 years
    Thanks

What was the settlement figure?

Most insurers have a cut off of a max of €20k paid.

If it was over that then he could be stuck with existing insurer.

• Advertisement

is the claim still ongoing or closed ? if closed liberty asks for the last 3 years no claims/accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Kerryswimmer

The settlement was 2 years ago for 6.5k

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mel94

Hi can anyone help me.

I was stopped by the guards in my work car, Company car from the North on Northern Plates and was asked to produce proof of Insurance at my local Garda station. I got a copy of the Insurance Cert from my boss and produced it to the station and the "lovely" lady behind the desk said it was no use to them as I'm not named on the cert, I explained that it was a company policy and like my previous company policy before this job individuals are not named on the cert it's the company name and all employees are insured in their cars etc but she still wouldn't accept this, does anyone have any experience of this or what to do next?
    Thanks

mel94 wrote: »
    Hi can anyone help me.

I was stopped by the guards in my work car, Company car from the North on Northern Plates and was asked to produce proof of Insurance at my local Garda station. I got a copy of the Insurance Cert from my boss and produced it to the station and the "lovely" lady behind the desk said it was no use to them as I'm not named on the cert, I explained that it was a company policy and like my previous company policy before this job individuals are not named on the cert it's the company name and all employees are insured in their cars etc but she still wouldn't accept this, does anyone have any experience of this or what to do next?
    Thanks

The guards can be dicks about things like this.

All you can do is explain to your employer that you are in danger of being prosecuted for no insurance unless you get a cert with your name on it.

They can then request a manual cert from the insurer which shows your name on it.

Rod Munch wrote: »
    The guards can be dicks about things like this.

All you can do is explain to your employer that you are in danger of being prosecuted for no insurance unless you get a cert with your name on it.

They can then request a manual cert from the insurer which shows your name on it.

Thanks for the reply, I'll pop back down to the station tomorrow and see if I can get a more useful guard maybe in better form! 😳 And if no joy I'll do as you suggested, I'm sure my employer won't mind but just embarrassing having to go back and ask for it again. 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

mel94 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, I'll pop back down to the station tomorrow and see if I can get a more useful guard maybe in better form! 😳 And if no joy I'll do as you suggested, I'm sure my employer won't mind but just embarrassing having to go back and ask for it again. 😬

The Certificate should confirm open driving title that states any driver 25-70 with full licence and concert from policy holder may drive.
    Listed drivers are normally only private motor policies

cplwhisper wrote: »
    The Certificate should confirm open driving title that states any driver 25-70 with full licence and concert from policy holder may drive.

The guards in my experience do not accept this.

We have alot of policies on open drive and on an almost weekly basis have to issue manual certs confirming cover.

They don't even accept letters on headed paper from us confirming cover, it has to be a physical certificate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

That seems crazy to me. I wonder what would happen if you took it to court, technically you've done nothing wrong!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

In my experience, Gardai know very little about insurance. Not bashing them, they do a fine & difficult job

• Advertisement

cplwhisper wrote: »

Yep it has that along with the policy number and details of the company I work for. I was told the next time I produce it at the station ask for the guard to stamp and put his badge number on the cert as proof that I had tried to produce it just incase in the meantime I get a summons for court! Drama!

Advertisement