Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A guide to motor insurance & FAQ's

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Shadowless wrote: »
    My dad passed away a few months back. He had full NCD.
    My mum has her own car and also has full NCD.
    For sentimental reasons she would like to keep my Dad's car but is having a torrid time dealing with the insurance company who want to push her back to 0 NCD for the 2nd vehicle.
    I've seen a few things on some of the UK websites saying the NCD can get transferred to the heir upon death of the policyholder which would make sense to me but I'm struggling to find any concrete Irish example.

Can anyone clarify?

Yes NCDs can be transferred to a spouse upon death in Ireland.

You obviously can't have two seperate policies on one NCB but there's no reason why you can't have two seperate policies with seperate NCBs.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Shadowless

GM228 wrote: »
    Yes NCDs can be transferred to a spouse upon death in Ireland.

You obviously can't have two seperate policies on one NCB but there's no reason why you can't have two seperate policies with seperate NCBs.

Perfect, thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

My dad passed away a few months back. He had full NCD.
    My mum has her own car and also has full NCD.
    For sentimental reasons she would like to keep my Dad's car but is having a torrid time dealing with the insurance company who want to push her back to 0 NCD for the 2nd vehicle.
    I've seen a few things on some of the UK websites saying the NCD can get transferred to the heir upon death of the policyholder which would make sense to me but I'm struggling to find any concrete Irish example.

Can anyone clarify?

If it was a case that she had been named on his policy and didn't have a policy herself they would transfer the bonus.

The issue is that she has her own policy currently.

Unfortunately with so many people out there that are willing to defraud insurers through their actions and ommissions, when something out of the ordinary is requested it sets off alarm bells, no matter how genuine a request may be such as in this case.

I'm not sure how it works with heir apparent when the heir already has a full bonus themselves though, its not a request I've ever come across.

Id imagine its down to purely insurer discretion.

All she can do is to ask to speak to a manager and let her explain why she wants to do it. Not an easy conversation for her to have I'm sure but there is little point speaking to one of the regular agents as they have no power whatsoever.

Condolences on your loss by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Shadowless

If it was a case that she had been named on his policy and didn't have a policy herself they would transfer the bonus.

The issue is that she has her own policy currently.

Id imagine its down to purely insurer discretion.

Yes she's been struggling with them on the phone making little progress.
    I will make sure she speaks to a manager. Surprised the policy isn't clearer or written down anywhere tbh.

It will only be her on the policy with no other named drivers so no issue with fronting or anything like that.

Yes she's been struggling with them on the phone making little progress.
    I will make sure she speaks to a manager. Surprised the policy isn't clearer or written down anywhere tbh.

It will only be her on the policy with no other named drivers so no issue with fronting or anything like that.

Well make sure she spells that out to the insurer and that she is happy for it to be insured driving only, hopefully they will give her the benefit of the doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Hi, I have a question re no claims bonus. I was in a minor accident 3 years ago where someone pulled out onto the road and into the side of me - completely their fault and liability was admitted there and then. Their insurance company paid up etc and I got my car repaired.

However, for the last few years when I have been renewing my insurance and it asks how many years no claims bonus I have (online) I kept putting in the number of years I had, because I thought that if the accident wasn't your fault then it doesn't affect your no claims bonus, but apparently it might?? I'm confused to be honest and I don't want it to look like I'm trying to keep information from the insurance company!

Can someone advise please?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

If you explain that you earn a 5 yrs claim free record and state a claim occurred 3yrs ago that is non-fault then The new company decide if they want to write a premium for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

leahyl wrote: »
    Hi, I have a question re no claims bonus. I was in a minor accident 3 years ago where someone pulled out onto the road and into the side of me - completely their fault and liability was admitted there and then. Their insurance company paid up etc and I got my car repaired.

However, for the last few years when I have been renewing my insurance and it asks how many years no claims bonus I have (online) I kept putting in the number of years I had, because I thought that if the accident wasn't your fault then it doesn't affect your no claims bonus, but apparently it might?? I'm confused to be honest and I don't want it to look like I'm trying to keep information from the insurance company!

Can someone advise please?

Thanks

Your no claims bonus remains intact but you WILL face a loading for the sheer recklessness of being crashed into through no fault of your own and having the audacity to claim money to cover your damages rather than just sucking it up.

Your no claims bonus remains intact but you WILL face a loading for the sheer recklessness of being crashed into through no fault of your own and having the audacity to claim money to cover your damages rather than just sucking it up.

Thanks but how do I "face a loading"? Is it recorded on my policy or something from the time I had accident or does it say it on my no claims? Like, I always put down that I have 7 years no claims bonus (from when I started driving) so how do they know I've had an accident if I haven't ever put it down when applying for quote?

Thanks but how do I "face a loading"? Is it recorded on my policy or something from the time I had accident or does it say it on my no claims? Like, I always put down that I have 7 years no claims bonus (from when I started driving) so how do they know I've had an accident if I haven't ever put it down when applying for quote?

I haven't seen a form yet that doesn't differentiate between NCB and claims made by you or against you. I'd be nearly certain you'd have to lie (not just neglect to mention) to get through the process without mentioning a claim.

• Advertisement

I haven't seen a form yet that doesn't differentiate between NCB and claims made by you or against you. I'd be nearly certain you'd have to lie (not just neglect to mention) to get through the process without mentioning a claim.

Well I assumed that because the accident wasn't my fault that I didn't need to record it on the online form as I didn't think my no claims bonus was affected...but then I thought about it again recently and read up on it and it said that your no claims bonus is affected whether it's your fault or not, which is why I'm questioning this now. I'm freaking out now that it looks like I've been lying intentionally for the last 3 years!!! I haven't btw!

Well I assumed that because the accident wasn't my fault that I didn't need to record it on the online form as I didn't think my no claims bonus was affected...but then I thought about it again recently and read up on it and it said that your no claims bonus is affected whether it's your fault or not, which is why I'm questioning this now. I'm freaking out now that it looks like I've been lying intentionally for the last 3 years!!! I haven't btw!

To be fair, I would always have assumed windscreen/glass claims were not part of the "how many claims have been made by you / against you"..... but several insurers are sneaking windscreen claims into the fine print for this section now too.

Basically, assume they are out to catch you out with every question and check the fine print of everything - ts&cs seem to be changing by the minute.

To be fair, I would always have assumed windscreen/glass claims were not part of the "how many claims have been made by you / against you"..... but several insurers are sneaking windscreen claims into the fine print for this section now too.

Basically, assume they are out to catch you out with every question and check the fine print of everything - ts&cs seem to be changing by the minute.

Well, like I said, the other car crashed into me and gave a nice "bump" to the drivers side of my car but it was all sorted by his insurance company so I just made the assumption that I wouldn't need to put in this claim as it wasn't like I had to claim off my insurance cos I wasn't to blame. Anyway, will be doing so in future!!

Do you ever not post nonsense in here?

:rolleyes:

@ Leah, non fault claims do not effect your own bonus. When doing quotes online you only need to put down if a claim was made through your own insurance.

There are no loadings applied for being the victim of someone else's recklessness ie having your own repairs done through someone else's insurance policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You now have zero credibility here.

Not your ornery onager

There are no loadings applied for being the victim of someone else's recklessness ie having your own repairs done through someone else's insurance policy.

You're 100% about that?
    100%?

No chance that people are loaded for having a no fault of their own claim against another insurer?????

Esel wrote: »
    You now have zero credibility here.

Why would they ask for details of non fault claims?

You're 100% about that?
    100%?

No chance that people are loaded for having a no fault of their own claim against another insurer?????

Yes.

I was getting quotes for my wife's motor insurance in May. She had a non fault claim last year.

I mentioned this to all the companies I contacted incl Aviva, AIG, Allianz, AXA, Zurich, Liberty and to Chill.

They all told me that it has no bearing as it went through the other persons insurer.

When I was going through training when I started out in insurance 7 years ago we were all told that non fault claims do not have a bearing on a persons quote.

The only instance when a non fault claim may cause issues with a new company would be if the claim is still open.

In that instance then most insurers will decline to quote until the claim is closed.

Yes.

I was getting quotes for my wife's motor insurance in May. She had a non fault claim last year.

I mentioned this to all the companies I contacted incl Aviva, AIG, Allianz, AXA, Zurich, Liberty and to Chill.

They all told me that it has no bearing as it went through the other persons insurer.

When I was going through training when I started out in insurance 7 years ago we were all told that non fault claims do not have a bearing on a persons quote.

The only instance when a non fault claim may cause issues with a new company would be if the claim is still open.

In that instance then most insurers will decline to quote until the claim is closed.

Nobody here is following the UK model? You're not gonna weasel out of it if there are insurers doing this? Final answer?

Nobody here is following the UK model? You're not gonna weasel out of it if there are insurers doing this? Final answer?

I'm not trying to weasel out of anything.

You are clearly trying to embarrass me by pulling something out that contradicts what I've said.

I have never come across an insurer that applies a financial loading for drivers that have had a claim through other peoples insurance.

Instead of trying to bait me why not just post what you have found.

The oneupmanship that you have against me is very, very sad tbh and tells a story too.

• Advertisement

Oneupmanship is it. Oh boo hoo for you.
    I post something which is common in the UK and you tell me it's nonsense.

I ask you are you sure, and its oneupmanship. Are you that unsure of yourself.... tells a story too.

Oneupmanship is it. Oh boo hoo for you.
    I post something which is common in the UK and you tell me it's nonsense.

I ask you are you sure, and its oneupmanship. Are you that unsure of yourself.... tells a story too.

You are a gas man.

Your motivations are clear.

Your intentions are obvious.

Either prove me wrong or stfu.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Trompette

bassey wrote: »
    Only thing I ever tell people when asking about cheapest car insurance is...

Step 1: Get out phone book

Step 2: Get quote from every insurer in phone book

Step 3: Ring back second cheapest place with cheapest places quote

Step 4: Repeat

It's time for me to renew my car insurance.
    - Are the steps above still up-to-date?
    - In this case, what insurer mean? Broker or final insurer?
    - If broker, I didn't see any list of it, do you have some?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

How will a windscreen claim affect my policy/ncb? Driving home on the m1 yesterday a truck flicked a stone which has left a small chip with spider legs which spread to about the size of a €2 coin. I have a fully comp policy with AXA but I'd like to have an idea how my ncb will be affected before deciding if I use the cover or pay myself. Unsure if it could be repaired or if a new windscreen will be needed.

markc1184 wrote: »
    How will a windscreen claim affect my policy/ncb? Driving home on the m1 yesterday a truck flicked a stone which has left a small chip with spider legs which spread to about the size of a €2 coin. I have a fully comp policy with AXA but I'd like to have an idea how my ncb will be affected before deciding if I use the cover or pay myself. Unsure if it could be repaired or if a new windscreen will be needed.

Windscreen / glass claims do not effect the bonus in any case I've ever seen but just to be 100% sure you should just contact AXA to clarify directly with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Windscreen / glass claims do not effect the bonus in any case I've ever seen but just to be 100% sure you should just contact AXA to clarify directly with them.

Yep. Similar happened to me a few years back. Even after around €1,400 for a Jaaag windscreen my NCB was intact. Fair play to them. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

Just to update my above post. I called into my local AXA today and they said I'm covered for a new windscreen which won't affect my NCB. They did say that if I didn't use their approved company, they would only pay out to a maximum of €250 but unlimited if I did use them. Not much point not using them considering they will come to me. Booked in and all for Friday. Cheers for the above answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Just to update my above post. I called into my local AXA today and they said I'm covered for a new windscreen which won't affect my NCB. They did say that if I didn't use their approved company, they would only pay out to a maximum of €250 but unlimited if I did use them. Not much point not using them considering they will come to me. Booked in and all for Friday. Cheers for the above answers.

IIRC I was with Royal and Sun Alliance at the time, and their glass crowd were Autoglass. Aside from ordering a windscreen for a post-facelift S-Type the first time (everyone does that, with everything! :pac:) they were first-rate and I didn't have to do any paper-shuffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

It will show up on your NCB record, however (from experience, also with AXA). They'll show 0 years since last claim, but they'll also show 7 years NCB (or whatever it is). The claims are listed, and it'll say "windscreen".

I was surprised when this turned up on my renewal documentation. I rang around for quotes anyway, and asked a couple of other insurers and AA how it would impact quote-rates. It depends on the insurer, but 1 windscreen claim didn't make a difference to any of them (when I checked). I think more than 2 in 3 years however could affect quote. Again: depends on the insurer. Also, this was 3 years ago, don't know what policies are now (they can load based on almost anything, they keep mining the data for trends etc.,)

At the time, I'd probably not have claimed if I'd know that consequence. It was the passenger window on a Fiat Punto, so not very expensive to get repaired anyway, and I'd have kept the windscreen claim for something more valuable (like a Jag windscreen at €1400, I'd obviously claim in a heartbeat). All that said, the service was excellent.

Anyway, nothing here that should change your plans, but just wanted to give you the benefit of one other personal experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭JamesFitz

I was getting insurance quotes there and was on 123.ie. I've had my licence for a year and a half now so I put in 1 year when it asked how long I've had my full licence for.

Anyway, I got quoted 4000 for an 08 Focus (as if that isn't laughable enough). I changed my details to say that I had my licence for 2 years instead just to see how much it would come down by out of interest.

They then quoted me 4700. No other details altered. I think this proves that they just pick numbers out of their holes tbh.

Advertisement