Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A guide to motor insurance & FAQ's

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

shietpilot wrote: »
    Might be a good idea getting some quotes before you pay for the claim so you have reference numbers and you know what the premium will be!

Good point.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Rem the claim will effect 3yrs premiums so paying off this claim will save you more than you think. Some junior staff might not know this option is avail , as rarely done, thus ask nicely for senior staff to assist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Never knew that was a possibility. Very interesting. Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tommyhayes1989

Just got back from them, I pay back my €360 and my new premium in €900. Thank you so much you've saved me about €500!
    Yep, just ring them tomorrow, tell them that's what you want to do and have then requote you for your renewal.

You should also have more luck getting quotes elsewhere too.

Just got back from them, I pay back my €360 and my new premium in €900. Thank you so much you've saved me about €500!

Mines a Guinness thanks fella.

;)

Good stuff man, glad to hear you got a happy resolution to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭fits

I have a commercial policy for the last 7 years. Want to switch to a private policy now but keep the commercial going until I sell it. I want to transfer my NCB to the private policy.

So, I have to cancel the commercial policy, send disc back in, start private policy, and take out a new commercial policy, which I would cancel when I sell the jeep.

Anything wrong with this plan?

The bonus can't be used on 2 vehicles unless by same insurer.( veh 1 has earned bonus and mirror bonus on 2 veh)

Who insures the van?
    Who is the insurer for new car? Is it same as existing van.

Are you adding drivers to either policy ?

cplwhisper wrote: »
    The bonus can't be used on 2 vehicles unless by same insurer.( veh 1 has earned bonus and mirror bonus on 2 veh)

Who insures the van?
    Who is the insurer for new car? Is it same as existing van.

Are you adding drivers to either policy ?

Yes I know the bonus cannot be used on two vehicles. That is why I have to cancel the commercial policy and take out a new one. So I can transfer the bonus to the new car.

The van is with Liberty, new car with Allianz but both policies come through the same broker.
    My husband would be on both policies.

fits wrote: »
    Yes I know the bonus cannot be used on two vehicles. That is why I have to cancel the commercial policy and take out a new one. So I can transfer the bonus to the new car.

The van is with Liberty, new car with Allianz but both policies come through the same broker.

Could be a bit difficult.

Has your husband his own policy currently?

If not He could perhaps insure the car in his own name using named driving experience as the bonus.

Another option could be adding the commercial motor as a temporary additional vehicle under the new car policy however some insurers may not allow this with private and commercial insurance.

Worth asking the question though.

fits wrote: »

Could be a bit difficult.

Has your husband his own policy currently?

If not He could perhaps insure the car in his own name using named driving experience as the bonus.

Another option could be adding the commercial motor as a temporary additional vehicle under the new car policy however some insurers may not allow this with private and commercial insurance.

Worth asking the question though.
    Approach Allianz and ask that they mirror ncb for the van for the same drivers on car. If they have sense then when time comes that van is sold they should only charge for time on cover thus good refund to yourself . The broker should have secured these terms for you as that what u pay them for.

• Advertisement

Approach Allianz and ask that they mirror ncb for the van for the same drivers on car. If they have sense then when time comes that van is sold they should only charge for time on cover thus good refund to yourself . The broker should have secured these terms for you as that what u pay them for.

Its not easy to get an insurer to mirror a bonus.

As she is a new customer to Allianz i suspect it would be doubly difficult.

Its tricky isn't it? Thanks for the advice. I am leaning more and more towards letting it go for trade in price and keeping things straightforward as they can be (which isn't that much when changing from commercial to private)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭mossy464

Does anyone know of any insurers apart from Liberty that only ask for details of claims within the last 3 years? Most seem to be 5.

Sounds like u might have something between 3 & 5 yrs that ya wanna keep quiet but most companies ask for 5yrs as 5yrs is a full no claim bonus..

Scales differ from co. to co.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭mossy464

Sounds like u might have something between 3 & 5 yrs that ya wanna keep quiet but most companies ask for 5yrs as 5yrs is a full no claim bonus..

Scales differ from co. to co.

Accident from 4 years ago is hanging over me. Switched to 25plus last year as they gave me a great deal even with the accident but they my renewal is nearly 200 more this year with them.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,187 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I recently bought a van, my previous was a 01 Partner and now I've an 08 Berlingo. I've had to tax the Berlingo private though, and I'm wondering if anyone can give me a clear answer on whether I need my insurance to also be private? I would have thought that's the case but everywhere I look there seems to be conflicting reports? I also hear it's quite hard to get insurers to insure vans privately?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I recently bought a van, my previous was a 01 Partner and now I've an 08 Berlingo. I've had to tax the Berlingo private though, and I'm wondering if anyone can give me a clear answer on whether I need my insurance to also be private? I would have thought that's the case but everywhere I look there seems to be conflicting reports? I also hear it's quite hard to get insurers to insure vans privately?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

How the vehicle is taxed has no bearing on the insurance.

If its a stock standard Berlingo ie a 2 seater van then you are going to get it very difficult to find an insurer to give you private insurance.

All you can do is ring companies directly, no point going through a broker as they will have strict rules that they have to adhere to, only the company can agree to this request.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,187 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

How the vehicle is taxed has no bearing on the insurance.

If its a stock standard Berlingo ie a 2 seater van then you are going to get it very difficult to find an insurer to give you private insurance.

All you can do is ring companies directly, no point going through a broker as they will have strict rules that they have to adhere to, only the company can agree to this request.

Thanks for that, if there's no issue with the tax being private I'm happy enough to stick with the commercial policy for now I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

I currently have a golf van on commercial insurance.
    I am hoping to sell the van and buy a regular car. My insurance isn't up until November. If I change car now, I'll have to cancel the commercial policy and take out a private one? Will my ncb be transferable from commercial to private? If I cancel my policy now will I loose the ncb for this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Skuxx wrote: »
    I am hoping to sell the van and buy a regular car. My insurance isn't up until November. If I change car now, I'll have to cancel the commercial policy and take out a private one? Will my ncb be transferable from commercial to private? If I cancel my policy now will I loose the ncb for this year?

More than likely, Insurance companies do no favours.

• Advertisement

Skuxx wrote: »

Answer to the first two questions is yes.

As for the final one, if your existing insurer does commercial and private insurance then they should allow you to cancel the existing policy and take out a new one on the car, from the same date as the cancelled one, and keep the same renewal date as your existing policy. Basically a short term policy on the car.

You are essentially looking to do a permanent substitution so I'd be surprised if they had a problem with it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Boooourns

I have an 04 Opel 1.7 astra, I've been told be I won't get insurance renewal as the car be over 12 years old when the current insurance will be up. Just wondering what the craic is here?
    It's due an NCT and tax in the coming months so thinking of trading it in if this is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,082 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Boooourns wrote: »
    I have an 04 Opel 1.7 astra, I've been told be I won't get insurance renewal as the car be over 12 years old when the current insurance will be up. Just wondering what the craic is here?
    It's due an NCT and tax in the coming months so thinking of trading it in if this is the case.
    If you are insured now, renewal should not be a problem.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Esel wrote: »
    If you are insured now, renewal should not be a problem.

Ah okay thanks, I'm with Aviva so I've just been reading they stop giving out insurance if it's over 15 years old, pretty annoying if that is the case. I only use the car mainly for getting to and from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I think Esel is right in that if you are already a customer it should be fine to renew. That said there may be a hike.
    I jumper to BoI when 25plus hiked my insurance for a car over 15 years.

Boooourns wrote: »

Legally your existing insurer has to issue you terms.

They may load you because of the vehicle age but they have to offer terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Legally your existing insurer has to issue you terms.

They may load you because of the vehicle age but they have to offer terms.

Oddly enough my 17-year-old canal-boat hasn't attracted their ire in a big way. Yet! :D

jimgoose wrote: »
    Oddly enough my 17-year-old canal-boat hasn't attracted their ire in a big way. Yet! :D

I'd invest in some oars mate, just in case!

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Shadowless

My dad passed away a few months back. He had full NCD.
    My mum has her own car and also has full NCD.
    For sentimental reasons she would like to keep my Dad's car but is having a torrid time dealing with the insurance company who want to push her back to 0 NCD for the 2nd vehicle.
    I've seen a few things on some of the UK websites saying the NCD can get transferred to the heir upon death of the policyholder which would make sense to me but I'm struggling to find any concrete Irish example.

Can anyone clarify?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Mudmask

I'm on my phone so cannot search properly but just wondering how long it generally takes for paperwork/disk to be sent from insurance companies after buying a policy online? Sorry if this has already been answered :)

Advertisement