Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No coverage of some games for N.I.

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,553 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Wonder do sky have to stop the signal to the republic during the game.

The big question in this is what did the BBC offer compared to sky.
    I bet that BBCNI will have offered pennies compared to Sky.

What's worrying is that I suspect this won't be the last, the 6N's could be next.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

awec wrote: »

What's worrying is that I suspect this won't be the last, the 6N's could be next.

I think the Six Nations is on both the Irish and UK protected list (can't remember the proper term).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

awec wrote: »

Weren't England threatened with expulsion from the 6N a few years back for suggesting precisely that? Plus I'm near 100% sure that the 6N are on the 'protected broadcast list that have to be FTA' in both Ireland and the UK

I think the Six Nations is on both the Irish and UK protected list (can't remember the proper term).

http://merlin.obs.coe.int/iris/2011/7/article26.en.html

Phew!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

oh dear

deferred is as good as not having it on the list at all tbh

I can't see the Six Nations losing it's free-to-air status anytime soon, IMO one of the reasons it's such a big deal is that it's accessible.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 cjmac

P_1 wrote: »
    Option A - They go to the pub/rugby club etc
    Option B - They pay Mr Murdoch a few pounds to buy Sky Sports

thanks for clarification wud rather support my local than that pr1ck!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

As a Leinster fan I hope the entire sum of money made goes directly into Ulster's budget.

errlloyd wrote: »
    As a Leinster fan I hope the entire sum of money made goes directly into Stephen Ferris's Knees.

fyp

Would it not be a wiser investment to just put him out to stud :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Option A - They go to the pub/rugby club etc
    Option B - They pay Mr Murdoch a few pounds to buy Sky Sports

Option C - they get an aerial and get the signal from Saorview
    Option D - they get a dish and get Saorsat
    Option E - use a dodgy internet stream

• Registered Users Posts: 17,766 ✭✭✭✭bilston

oh dear

deferred is as good as not having it on the list at all tbh

I can't see the Six Nations losing it's free-to-air status anytime soon, IMO one of the reasons it's such a big deal is that it's accessible.

I think a new deal was signed quite recently, might even have been up to 2018, maybe even longer.

I think whoever said it above about this being the IRFU testing the waters is probably right. Come 2017 or whenever the rights come up again for negotiation I'd expect Sky to take them all, not unlike what happened with the HEC actually.

Personally I've no issue with Sky taking the rights, their coverage is generally excellent, however it seems a bit silly that up to a third of Irish fans will have to pay €30 a month or whatever a Sky Sports subscription on top of their license fee and the rest will just have to pay their RTE license fee.

Would it not be a wiser investment to just put him out to stud :pac:

Ah he'll enjoy that time when it comes, won't need knee cartlidge for that!

Quick practical point for the lads up North who could be effected by this.

The telly I own seems to be able to receive both Saorview and Freeview channels. There is a chance that your own tellies should be able to do the same.

In that case a quick change in the direction you point your aerial might be able to solve this problem when it rears its head.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sixy

Why should we have to change our signal or pay for sky. An absolute disgrace. **** the irfu

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭jacothelad

danthefan wrote: »
    Pretty outrageous to be fair. I'd be seriously annoyed. The IRFU should represent the entirety of Irish rugby, a deal should have been done with Sky to allow the games to be shown in NI.

Daft question, I know, but RTE1 and 2 are just free-to-air channels in NI, everyone can get them I assume?

The digital signals are geo-blocked.

jacothelad wrote: »
    The digital signals are geo-blocked.

They're geo blocked on the Freeview transmissions as far as I know, you should be able to pick up the Saorview transmissions that aren't geo blocked up north though.

Not everyone can get Saorview in NI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

At the rate of decline the IRFU are taking, they'd nearly be as well as to emalgimate with the FAI now, increase all their wages to €500,000 per anum, and replace Kidney with the cheapest possible option and sit back and watch the peasants riot.

An absolute disgrace and incompetence of John Delaney magnitude :mad:

Money shouldn't come in to it, I doubt it would have had MAJOR difference to the UK share if they had excluded N.I and gave the rights at 90% of what they were offering, and have BBC NI pay the 10% for NI share - or even give it to sky at 80% of what they were offering and have BBC NI pay 10% and take a hit of 10% in the interest of keeping all the fans in the loop....

Why don't the powers that be in NI just do what was done in the south and introduce legislation to alter the law so that national sport is considered "of national importance" and is granted free to air status, circumventing any existing contracts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

They're geo blocked on the Freeview transmissions as far as I know, you should be able to pick up the Saorview transmissions that aren't geo blocked up north though.

Only close to the border.

Belfast gets its Saorview signal from a Freeview transmitter located in the north. Presumably the RTE feed will be blacked out during matches.

• Advertisement

Only close to the border.

Belfast gets its Saorview signal from a Freeview transmitter located in the north. Presumably the RTE feed will be blacked out during matches.

Ah I didn't realise that. Could be an idea to lobby RTE to boost the signal generated from their transmitters near the border if the deal goes through so.

[Jackass] wrote: »
    At the rate of decline the IRFU are taking, they'd nearly be as well as to emalgimate with the FAI now, increase all their wages to €500,000 per anum, and replace Kidney with the cheapest possible option and sit back and watch the peasants riot.

An absolute disgrace and incompetence of John Delaney magnitude :mad:

Money shouldn't come in to it, I doubt it would have had MAJOR difference to the UK share if they had excluded N.I and gave the rights at 90% of what they were offering, and have BBC NI pay the 10% for NI share - or even give it to sky at 80% of what they were offering and have BBC NI pay 10% and take a hit of 10% in the interest of keeping all the fans in the loop....

Why don't the powers that be in NI just do what was done in the south and introduce legislation to alter the law so that national sport is considered "of national importance" and is granted free to air status, circumventing any existing contracts.

TBH even a bit of cop on with how they sold the package to Sky should have solved this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Unlike me to defend the IRFU, but would probably need to know the figures involved to see if the IRFU were justified.

Like if Sky offered €1M for the UK rights but were totally not negotiable on fta in NI, whilst BBCNI and RTE offered 50p and a bag of grapes for NI rights, it wouldn't be particularly sensible for the IRFU to turn Sky down.
    There are no figures that can justify cutting off a huge section of fans while granting rights to another.
    Depending on the terms of the contract, RTE may have had no choice. They don't have jurisdiction in NI afaik.
    It's not any fault of RTE. It is entirely the fault of the IRFU. We have seen the rare 'A' games removed from Ravenhill and we have seen the U20 games removed. Now we see the thin end of the wedge on viewing the International side in Northern Ireland. It's bizarre that the rest of the island is moving away from disunity while the IRFU is actually splitting us up. Dumb Phuques.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

jacothelad wrote: »
    We have seen the rare 'A' games removed from Ravenhill and we have seen the U20 games removed. Now we see the thin end of the wedge on viewing the International side in Northern Ireland. It's bizarre that the rest of the island is moving away from disunity while the IRFU is actually splitting us up. Dumb Phuques.

Ulster have got the vast majority of the 'A' games over the last few years - Ravenhill got 3, Sportsground 1 and Tallaght Stadium 1, RDS 1. Surely you don't begrudge Connacht getting a game?

It just happens that there is only one 'A' match every year now.

All U20s are played in an IRFU ground in the centre of Ireland which is a good idea since its convenient for everyone. Its a long haul up to Belfast from Cork (or visa versa in the middle of the winter).

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭jjjd

jm08 wrote: »
    All U20s are played in an IRFU ground in the centre of Ireland which is a good idea since its convenient for everyone. Its a long haul up to Belfast from Cork (or visa versa in the middle of the winter).

The U20s matches should be played as curtain raisers for Rabo Pro12 matches, rotating between Ravenhill, Thomond Park, Sportsground and RDS so that everyone has a chance to see them play at their local provincial stadium while supporting their province. The U20s deserve to be playing in front of larger attendances and more prestigious stadia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Unlike me to defend the IRFU, but would probably need to know the figures involved to see if the IRFU were justified.

Like if Sky offered €1M for the UK rights but were totally not negotiable on fta in NI, whilst BBCNI and RTE offered 50p and a bag of grapes for NI rights, it wouldn't be particularly sensible for the IRFU to turn Sky down.

What kind of grapes?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

May I say the main target for any complaints here should be the BBC. The BBC are the main Public Service Broadcaster in Northern Ireland paid for by licence payers in Northern Ireland, and if they are not willing to pay for the “rights” (like RTE have to for their territory) to show the games in Northern Ireland, then that is where the problem lies. RTE cannot be expected to pay or compete against Sky for “UK rights” in respect to Northern Ireland. Having said this RTE is widely available in Northern Ireland via its Saorview service (more so than before on analogue tv) which will not be subject to “geo blocking” for these games.

BBC NI is freely available in England though. (I know, I use it all the time).

Is it possible that they could have had a 'mini-bid' themselves, and geoblock it in England/Scotland/Wales or is that against their motus operandi?

BBC NI should be carrying these games. RTÉ should not have to block their signal. (Both of these things should be able to operate at the same time)

Sky should also be allowed carry these games, but certainly not in an exclusive capacity on a quarter of the Island that the team represents!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

[Jackass] wrote: »
    I doubt it would have had MAJOR difference to the UK share if they had excluded N.I and gave the rights at 90% of what they were offering, and have BBC NI pay the 10% for NI share - or even give it to sky at 80% of what they were offering and have BBC NI pay 10% and take a hit of 10% in the interest of keeping all the fans in the loop....
    Is it possible that they could have had a 'mini-bid' themselves, and geoblock it in England/Scotland/Wales or is that against their motus operandi?

The footprint of the Astra Satellite covers all of the British Isles - so if BBC NI carry the game, other regions would be able to view it unencrypted (just as we can tune BBC2 Wales for Rabo games etc.).

The workaround would be to carry it only on the digital terrestrial signal via Freeview, but I'd imagine that'd be contrary to their charter to then deny license-fee payers who receive their TV via Freesat the opportunity to view the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

jjjd wrote: »
    The U20s matches should be played as curtain raisers for Rabo Pro12 matches, rotating between Ravenhill, Thomond Park, Sportsground and RDS so that everyone has a chance to see them play at their local provincial stadium while supporting their province. The U20s deserve to be playing in front of larger attendances and more prestigious stadia.

U20s are usually played on a Friday night of an international weekend. You'd need to play an U20s game at 5pm to be a curtain raiser for a Rabo game, so all that would mean is that the families of the team would all have to take a day off work to get to the game. It would be all too difficult to try and co-ordinate between the Rabo/internationals anyway as Rabo fixtures are not set that too far ahead (Dec) to know whether the games are at home or away.

I wonder would Robbie Henshaw be playing rugby if the U20s were not being played regularly in Athlone? Thats a part of the country that is very neglected with games and the IRFU does not have suitable stadium there.

Advertisement