Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No coverage of some games for N.I.

Options
  • 18-02-2013 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭jacothelad

RTÉ HAS CONFIRMED that it will have to block coverage of IRFU Autumn International Rugby to viewers in Northern Ireland from next year, as the BBC has lost the rights for the games and RTÉ has been awarded the rights in the Republic only.
    Sinne Féin spokesperson on sports Deputy Sandra McLellan expressed “dismay” at the news that the signal will be blocked to fans in Northern Ireland as a result of a contractual arrangement with the IRFU, which has awarded the rights to Sky.
    “It is almost beyond belief that a sporting organisation such as the IRFU would sign a contract with Sky Sports which would effectively cut off an estimated one third of the team’s fan base,” she said. “The international rugby team is an all island team. The team’s mixture in terms of culture and religion reflects the islands diversity and it is an excellent example of the positive role that sport can play in bringing people together.”
    In a letter to Deputy McLellan, Head of Broadcast Compliance at RTÉ David McKenna said:
    RTÉ does look to broadcast its sporting coverage in Northern Ireland; however sometimes this is not possible for contractual or commercial reasons. Under the new contract awarded by the IRFU, RTÉ will be required to black our coverage of the International games on Freeview in Northern Ireland from 2014 to 2017. RTÉ were awarded the rights for the Republic of Ireland by the IRFU. The IRFU awarded the right for the UK to Sky.
    “I am somewhat perplexed as to why a thirty-two county organisation such as the IRFU would sign a contract which could have the potential to split its fan base,” said McLellan.

Thanks a lot. So it's just feck off then if you happen not to live in the Republic. What a crock of sh1t.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Pretty outrageous to be fair. I'd be seriously annoyed. The IRFU should represent the entirety of Irish rugby, a deal should have been done with Sky to allow the games to be shown in NI.

Daft question, I know, but RTE1 and 2 are just free-to-air channels in NI, everyone can get them I assume?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Jesus Christ, what a crock of ****.

Nice one blazer squad...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

dumb move

• Registered Users Posts: 5,953 ✭✭✭OldRio

The IRFU should hang their heads in shame.

change the thread title to "IRFU sell out NI viewers"

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,553 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

danthefan wrote: »
    Pretty outrageous to be fair. I'd be seriously annoyed. The IRFU should represent the entirety of Irish rugby, a deal should have been done with Sky to allow the games to be shown in NI.

Daft question, I know, but RTE1 and 2 are just free-to-air channels in NI, everyone can get them I assume?

Everyone can get them but RTÉ can block the signal during certain programmes.

At the moment it happens sometimes for soccer.

I think you used to still be able to watch on the old analog signal, but I don't think that works any more.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

How else will the IRFU be able to pay for Kidney pay rise if they don't take Sky's money? :D

Seriously though that's appalling from them and a pretty good way to alienate all of your fans, not just the Nordies.

Edit: Do you have a link for that story?

Someone write a good letter and we should bombard the IRFU with it.

Absolute disgrace

If BBC pulled out of an offer, then maybe the IRFU had little choice? Just getting RTE money and losing BBC money would have been bad financially.

That said, they shouldn't have done this.

They are going to get ripped apart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Sounds like the blazers fecked up in the negotiations with Sky, that's bloody ridiculous.

Good move by the politicians up north raising a stick over it, my only concern is that it's the Shinners making the initial move and this could be dragged into the usual northern political schit fight.

Apologies to ak and the lads for opening THAT particular can of worms

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭fitz

Can NI viewers still get RTE on Saorview and watch the games on that?
    If so, it's not a huge deal if RTE via your Sky box isn't an option any more...it's crappy having to get a Saorview box, but they're not too expensive.
    However, if RTE is not available to NI viewers via Saorview, then it's a whole different story.
    Either way, it's a pretty blatant disregard towards a provincial stronghold in Irish rugby.
    Talk about a sure way to anger those who pay your f*cking wages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

jacothelad wrote: »
    RTÉ HAS CONFIRMED that it will have to block coverage of IRFU Autumn International Rugby to viewers in Northern Ireland from next year, as the BBC has lost the rights for the games and RTÉ has been awarded the rights in the Republic only.
    Sinne Féin spokesperson on sports Deputy Sandra McLellan expressed “dismay” at the news that the signal will be blocked to fans in Northern Ireland as a result of a contractual arrangement with the IRFU, which has awarded the rights to Sky.
    “It is almost beyond belief that a sporting organisation such as the IRFU would sign a contract with Sky Sports which would effectively cut off an estimated one third of the team’s fan base,” she said. “The international rugby team is an all island team. The team’s mixture in terms of culture and religion reflects the islands diversity and it is an excellent example of the positive role that sport can play in bringing people together.”
    In a letter to Deputy McLellan, Head of Broadcast Compliance at RTÉ David McKenna said:
    RTÉ does look to broadcast its sporting coverage in Northern Ireland; however sometimes this is not possible for contractual or commercial reasons. Under the new contract awarded by the IRFU, RTÉ will be required to black our coverage of the International games on Freeview in Northern Ireland from 2014 to 2017. RTÉ were awarded the rights for the Republic of Ireland by the IRFU. The IRFU awarded the right for the UK to Sky.
    “I am somewhat perplexed as to why a thirty-two county organisation such as the IRFU would sign a contract which could have the potential to split its fan base,” said McLellan.

Thanks a lot. So it's just feck off then if you happen not to live in the Republic. What a crock of sh1t.

PM me Jaco, I'll sort you out coverage...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Unlike me to defend the IRFU, but would probably need to know the figures involved to see if the IRFU were justified.

Like if Sky offered €1M for the UK rights but were totally not negotiable on fta in NI, whilst BBCNI and RTE offered 50p and a bag of grapes for NI rights, it wouldn't be particularly sensible for the IRFU to turn Sky down.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

Is it too cynical to suggest that come 2016/7 when the next load of rights are being sold they'll sell the ROI rights to Sky as well claiming it was "good enough" for the NI supporters of the Ireland team for the previous 3 years?

"Following from three years of successful partnership with BSkyB plc, we are glad to announce a new broadcasting deal... blah blah blah... jargon, consultation, stakeholders in the game, growth, etc."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Disgrace. Absolute disgrace.

Someone write a good letter and we should bombard RTÉ with it.

Ryle is the head now isn't he?

Absolute disgrace

Depending on the terms of the contract, RTE may have had no choice. They don't have jurisdiction in NI afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Bad form.

What's next?

This isn't RTÉ's fault.

They have to turn it off as Sky have the sole rights to broadcast it in NI.

There is no way that BBCNI could compete with Sky in terms of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Absolute disgrace

It's not really RTE's fault though is it? It seems to me to be on the IRFU. RTE simply can't afford to match the financial terms that Sky offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Yes it's our IRFU... emphasis on the FU they've given us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Absolute disgrace

I'd lay the blame with the IRFU more than RTE. After all, RTE are the state broadcaster for the Republic, not for NI. Their primary advertising revenue and the catchment area for the TV licence are based on this, and when the latter is considered I would actually consider it an inappropriate use of funds and resources to compete with a Sky bid in order to just keep the games FTA in NI. This is not a slight against anybody who is in the 6 counties of the North, but rather a simple statement of the facts as they are, and the implications of same. In the same way, BBC do not cater as a state broadcaster for ROI, and availability of BBC signal is either due to overlap of signal (more prevalent with Freesat, I'll grant you) or alternative paid means (Sky, UPC, etc.).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Its not even about RTÉ not matching Sky. RTÉ presumably can't bid for rights to show anything in NI. This is all on the IRFU.

true, didn't really think that through at all.

http://www.irishrugby.ie/irfu/committee/index.php
    Commercial and Marketing

P. Fitzgerald, P. Orr, G. Drennan, K. Lyons, T. Grace, P.R. Browne, P. Power, K. Richardson, J. Redmond, D. Devaney.

Contact Details?

Interesting how Sky bidded for the rights though.

From the looks of things they said - 'Right we only want the UK rights, the Irish rights can stay with RTE'

Could have worked out cleaner if they said - 'Right we'll have the English, Scottish and Welsh rights, RTE can have the ROI and NI rights'

• Registered Users Posts: 12 cjmac

im confused? how do nirish watch it then?

cjmac wrote: »
    im confused? how do nirish watch it then?

Option A - They go to the pub/rugby club etc
    Option B - They pay Mr Murdoch a few pounds to buy Sky Sports

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Wonder do sky have to stop the signal to the republic during the game.

The big question in this is what did the BBC offer compared to sky.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Someone write a good letter and we should bombard the IRFU with it.

Absolute disgrace

This was exactly what I was thinking.

Does anyone have any comments on the first draft below?
    Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to you to let you know of my anger and annoyance that the IRFU have made the Autumn International games for Ireland no longer free to air in Northern Ireland. As a “insert province” and Ireland fan I find this very unsettling that the IRFU could do this to one section of Irelands fan base.

One of the great things about Rugby in Ireland is that it represents all of Ireland no matter which side of the border you live in. This has been much to the benefit of our national team but by restricting the fans in Northern Ireland to only watch Ireland play during the Autumn Internationals on Sky Sports does so much damage to something which makes us strong.

You are not only alienating the Northern Irish fan base but the entire fan base.

I hope you will reflect this change in the words of Ireland’s Call by rewording it to:
    “Come the day and come the hour
    Come the power and the glory
    We have come to answer
    Our Country’s call
    From the four proud provinces of Ireland……except you guys up, North unless you fork out for a Sky Sports subscription”

Regards,

…………….

• Advertisement

Wonder do sky have to stop the signal to the republic during the game.

The big question in this is what did the BBC offer compared to sky.

I'd say its all down to the wording of the contract tbh.

Say if is said something like 'BSkyB now has the right to broadcast the AI matches, with exclusive broadcast rights in the UK' they should be ok provided that RTE's contract has no mention of exclusivity within the ROI

Advertisement