Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has a game ever made you cry?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

When I check the total value of my Steam account I cry...especially when I've played about 30% of them lol

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

gizmo wrote: »
    It may have been the fact that I had been playing it for so many hours but when I finally got to the
    Sniper Wolf death scene
    in Metal Gear Solid I found it quite sad.

Then there's the obvious two from Mass Effect 3,
    Mordin and Legion

And by far the saddest one of them all, the moment it dawned on me that I really should have listened to Marauder Shields. :(

Oh, I'd totally forgotten about that in MGS. That got me too.

Also, in MGS2
    Emma's death scene, followed by Snake pulling Otacon together and their handshake just as the music creschendos.
    Such a beautiful scene, one of my all time favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

I cry with laughter everytime everyone buys into the hype of a game, prepays €50 for it, pre-installs it, and it turns out to be a pile of crap.

Anyone who does this deserves it !

ALiens CM & Duke Nukem come to mind....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

No, i've come close to crying in frustration a few times tho ! Demon souls nearly pushed me over the edge a few times, one of the times it made me stop playing for a few months i was that pissed lol. Sold a few items in WoW for a 10th of what they're were worth by mistake, same **** in diablo 3 (Not such a big deal since its a lot easier to get in diablo).

A few films have had me with a lump in my throat, but can't say i've actually cried over one either. Guess im just hard as ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

No.

They're only games for crying out loud.

When i sow a post, with your name, I 100% knew what sort of post its going to be... Jesus feck man...

Anyway, on Topic.

Walking Dead ending got me good. I wont say i was weeping like a little girl :o, but it did got a tear out of me. It was just way too emotional.

I cant really remember any other games, which would make me care soooo much about its characters. Funny enough i did not cared about FF7 so called "twist". In fact i did not even liked to hae her in my main "kick ass" group.
    My favorite character was always RED XIII.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Korvanica wrote: »
    I cry with laughter everytime everyone buys into the hype of a game, prepays €50 for it, pre-installs it, and it turns out to be a pile of crap.

Anyone who does this deserves it !

ALiens CM & Duke Nukem come to mind....

The one that got me was MW3 :( What a load of crap that was.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

Cry, no; but this is the perfect opportunity for me to pop back in to say you should try out "To the Moon" if you're looking for a "there's something in my eye" moment while playing a game!

So far, I haven't been able to find another soul that's given it a chance:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/206440/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1

You'll have the whole thing finished in one sitting if you've got a few hours to spare...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Has a game ever made me cry? no but a series has made me scream with frustration at how they ****ed it up, COD series to be precise.
    From being a top class skill based FPS to arcade garbage is enough to make a grown man cry.
    God be with the times when we had custom maps custom servers in COD1 and CODUO,when we didnt have massive hitboxes to accomadate the console players.
    While COD4 was very good the glory days of COD to me will always be packed servers of COD1 and CODUO.
    I ran 3 servers one of which had custom maps and custom sounds made from the then excellent community, the less said about the cod community of today the better.

rant over :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Valkyria Chronicles
    Mulberry Shore...Isara.....Rosies song at the funeral....

As mentioned, Shadow of the Colossus and
    ........Argo.....

End of MGS3
    Snake/ Big Boss at the grave, saluting the Boss knowing what she sacrificed and how she will be remembered

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Sarky wrote: »
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution's ending(s) had a very somber note to them, and I felt a more than a little upset when
    I couldn't save Malik from the downed chopper

Haha, wait...you know you can
    save her, right? You just need to take out the soldiers very quickly before they do too much damage to the chopper. She died the first few times for me and I said NOOO and tried again because she was an awesome character and I loved the thing they had going on. When she flies off she's all "Thanks for the help, spy-boy" and he's all "No problem, fly-girl" and it's the cutest damn thing. You let her die, you monster. They were the real romance in that story in my head.
    No.

They're only games for crying out loud.

You must be so cool not feeling feelings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

Cry, no; but this is the perfect opportunity for me to pop back in to say you should try out "To the Moon" if you're looking for a "there's something in my eye" moment while playing a game!

So far, I haven't been able to find another soul that's given it a chance:
    RL="http://store.steampowered.com/app/206440/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1"]http://store.steampowered.com/app/206440/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1[/URL]

You'll have the whole thing finished in one sitting if you've got a few hours to spare...

I played To The Moon a few weeks ago and loved it. Good call for this thread.

Also, Aeris from FFVII and the ending of Zelda: Majora's Mask for me. I'm sure I have plenty more that I can't think of right now

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Wobbuffet

I cried at the end of Ghost Trick Phantom Detective when you discover
    Missile the dog waited ten years as a spirit just so he could save the life of his mistress

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Zillah wrote: »
    Haha, wait...you know you can
    save her, right? You just need to take out the soldiers very quickly before they do too much damage to the chopper. She died the first few times for me and I said NOOO and tried again because she was an awesome character and I loved the thing they had going on. When she flies off she's all "Thanks for the help, spy-boy" and he's all "No problem, fly-girl" and it's the cutest damn thing. You let her die, you monster. They were the real romance in that story in my head.

she was the reason I insta-replayed deus ex HR after finishing it the first time. I assumed her dying was just something the plot demanded, then i saw online that people saved her and I had to do some quantum leaping. doing it in pacifist mode was ****ing awesome. every move had to be pretty much timed to perfection, it was like mirrors edge with a grumpy white dude

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,972 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Valkyria Chronicles
    Mulberry Shore...Isara.....Rosies song at the funeral....

Oh, that one got me as well :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Red dead redemption was up there alrite... the story, game style and soundtrack were perfect together

lyk dis if u cry evrytim

she was the reason I insta-replayed deus ex HR after finishing it the first time. I assumed her dying was just something the plot demanded, then i saw online that people saved her and I had to do some quantum leaping. doing it in pacifist mode was ****ing awesome. every move had to be pretty much timed to perfection, it was like mirrors edge with a grumpy white dude

Yeah, on the first play-through I assumed it was
    a mandatory story event but I was feeling stubborn so I decided I was going to reload and try anyway, or at least take out as many of the bad guys as possible. I was so happy I saved her, especially with their adorable little exchange afterwards, too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

You must be so cool not feeling feelings.

I am, thank you for taking the time to point that out.

Feel free to cry as well, if you want.
    If games, with their awful writing and general worthlessness as a story telling medium, can make you teary-eyed then I'm assuming a very low bound for triggering an emotional response.

Nope, it's just that some of us aren't cynical, insecure little pricks.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

*blows insanely loud whistle*

tumblr_mfp8971y771qclwico1_400.jpg

:P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Ow, my earballs :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

I'm sorry you feel that way, but not surprised.

But games are very poor at telling stories, and therefore making you care about any of the 'people' involved.
    It's an inherent weakness of the medium, especially one that, rightly, places more emphasis on things like graphical fidelity and gameplay mechanics.
    Pretending otherwise doesn't really do anyone any favours, and really listing the "emotional" moments in games does more to highlight their impotence and relative crudeness.

Normally, I'd wait until you'd finished serving your ban before continuing this, but we all know that's not going to happen, so let's keep going.
    Maybe the people who thanked your post might like to chime in as well, rather than simply hiding behind your poorly chosen words.

I'm not hiding behind Zillah's words, it just happens that I'd agree with them more than I would with you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,972 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Zillah has been warned for personal abuse. Can we get the thread back on track and not resort to personal abuse. I don't want to have to start handing out more warnings or bans.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Denny M wrote: »
    I'm not hiding behind Zillah's words, it just happens that I'd agree with them more than I would with you.

i just think he's a twat

I'm sorry you feel that way, but not surprised.

But games are very poor at telling stories, and therefore making you care about any of the 'people' involved.
    It's an inherent weakness of the medium, especially one that, rightly, places more emphasis on things like graphical fidelity and gameplay mechanics.
    Pretending otherwise doesn't really do anyone any favours, and really listing the "emotional" moments in games does more to highlight their impotence and relative crudeness.

Normally, I'd wait until you'd finished serving your ban before continuing this, but we all know that's not going to happen, so let's keep going.
    Maybe the people who thanked your post might like to chime in as well, rather than simply hiding behind your poorly chosen words.

I think writing off games as a story-telling medium as you have done in your posts in this thread is wrong, and smacks of just wanting to be argumentative. I would agree that a lot of games fail miserably to make you care about the characters (I don't know why you called them "people" in inverted commas, no one suggested that they were real people, no moreso than TV/movie characters are people), but there are games out there that succeed in doing just that.

However, as the industry grows, and writers gain experience in writing stories for games, I believe it is steadily getting better, Spec Ops last year for example. This thread is evidence in itself that some games are succeeding in telling a story which makes the player care about the characters.

Earlier posts reminded me of Deus Ex: HR.
    I felt like crap when Malik died. She was such a badass character. Still haven't managed to save her because of that damned robot. In fact, in my first playthough I didn't even know you could save her.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

It's very easy to form an emotional attachment to a game character imo. Of course the character has to meet certain criteria to make you give a sh1t about it in the first place. Without that you may as well be playing pong.

But games are very poor at telling stories

Would you like to make any arguments to support this position? I'd argue the opposite. I think a lot of games have very poorly told stories, but only because it is still evolving and maturing as a medium. When games first started they were little more than interactive puzzles - gameplay was everything. As the technology allowed they began to emulate real-world scenarios, with characters, stories, objectives. It's only in the last decade that they've been able to take a serious stab at telling proper stories, with personalities, themes, plot-arcs, resolutions. If you look at games like Dragon Age or the Mass Effects you can see how a game allows for the thorough development of characters through exploration of backstory, interactive debate and discussions, shared conflict and tragedies - to a far greater degree than something as lauded as film.

The problem is that a lot of developers go into game making with your attitude, and half-heartedly tack on a story which leads to a puerile self-fulfilling prophecy. There's nothing inherently flawed about telling emotive stories through a game, just the way it is currently done. You and yours are causing the problem you so stridently decry.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

Interesting thread!
    Honestly I got a little choked up at the ending of Dragon Quest IX, mainly because I'd invested so much time in the game I'd gotten really into it. Basically,
    you're this "angel" who for various reasons needs to make themselves mortal in order to combat the big bad of the game and return everything to normal. But in the end, once you do that, all your other angel buddies are sent up to the equivalent of heaven, and you're still stuck down on earth because you're mortal. Even worse, and the part that got me, you lose the ability to see your companion, who's been with you since near the start of the game. She even used to show up in the menu of the game until the end. Quite depressing. Fortunately, an end game quest was released that allowed you to do something to bring her back, so it all works out in the end. Still a sucky ending till you get the extra quests though.
    ...Wow, that ended up being very long.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Parts of Assassins creed 3 are making me cry at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Walking Dead came damned close...

Advertisement