Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has a game ever made you cry?

Options
  • 17-02-2013 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

Was listening to the 404 podcast and the guys were talking about video games and one of the lads asked another if a game had ever him cry or choke up. Then loads of listeners called in to say which games had made them choke up, everything from Professor Leyton to The Walking Dead to Heavy Rain were mentioned.

So has anything ever made you cry?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Aliens CM made me cry when I saw the review scores.

How can you balls up such good source material.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

End of walking dead , maybe a tear. But have never fully cried at a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

End of walking dead i got a small bit caught up in it i wouldnt say even manly crying or anything but it was very sad

Also when i realised i wased 5 years of my life playing eve online and god knows how much money

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,827 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

After finishing Mass Effect 2 with everyone ok, I watched the worst possible ending on youtube. Couldn't bear to watch it in parts.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

mass effect 3 dream sequences.. choked up every time i heard Mordin say Shepard!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Any of the Pro Evos after PES06.
    God awful...
    I've even had to switch to FIFA!
    *sob*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Don't think so, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Almost a tear when the bald guy dies in Gears of War. But no...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

Final Fantasy 7, when Aeris dies! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

this is where retr0 comes in and talks about earthbound :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭andymurphy93

end of modern warfare 1 made me shed a tear alright :L loved the story in that
    but theirs lots of other games that made me cry with rage if that counts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭The Pheasant

When the spirit of Cubones mother couldn't be at peace because team rocket were in Lavender town in Pokemon Yellow...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,972 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not earthbound, that game just gave you a weird feeling of catharsis. Mother 3 though, that game was heartbreaking.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Mass Effect 2, when we got back to the ship and it transpired Tali and Grunt had been killed.

Mass Effect 3,
    Mordin going up that elevator shaft on Tuchanka singing his song, was bawling at it. Then, on the Quarian Homeworld, I let the Geth destroy the Quarian fleet, and Legion "died" right in front of me, then the Admiral shot herself, it was genuinely a harrowing scene. Or on top of the Citadel with Garrus shooting bottles.

GTAIV, on my first playthrough when Kate died.

Assassin's Creed 3 made me cry out with frustration in Sequence 10 when I just rage quit on the entire game.

I'm sure there are others, because I'll cry at the drop of a hat, but those are the ones that stand out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Mass Effect 3,
    Mordin going up that elevator shaft on Tuchanka singing his song, was bawling at it. Then, on the Quarian Homeworld, I let the Geth destroy the Quarian fleet, and Legion "died" right in front of me, then the Admiral shot herself, it was genuinely a harrowing scene. Or on top of the Citadel with Garrus shooting bottles.

Oh man, Tuchanka had me close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

almost teared up when i thought
    Agro died
    in Shadow of the colossus

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Dr.Sanchez wrote: »
    Final Fantasy 7, when Aeris dies! lol
    A load of people called in to mention this one, never payed it myself.
    almost teared up when i thought
    Agro died
    in Shadow of the colossus

This was also mentioned by a couple of people.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,827 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The end of Devil May Cry 3 was close. Given the original's story, it was the only way to end it but it was still a genuinely sad ending.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

I don't get all the people claiming they cried when Aeris died in FF7. She did nothing for me, and Tifa had bigger boobs anyway...

Mass Effect 3:
    Tali taking off her helmet then jumping off a cliff in the Geth Fleet mission. Wasn't close to tears but felt so bad about it. I think i lost Legion on that part also. Legion sacrificed himself then Tali jumped off a cliff cause the Quarian fleet got destroyed. What did i do wrong :(
    Mass Effect 3 gets alot of flak but the Tuchunka mission was easily the best section in the trilogy. You are a true hero my Alien friend!

O&S in Dark Souls had me close to tears also :D

I don't get all the people claiming they cried when Aeris died in FF7. She did nothing for me, and Tifa had bigger boobs anyway...

Aeris/Aerith just annoyed me in FFVII. Was actually glad when she died.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

No, but The Walking Dead ending brought me came very, very close to it.

The little face of Clementine...hopeful and fearful. Having daughters the same age made it even tougher, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

When Manbot chose to stay behind at the end of time to save the rest of Freedom Force.... Such a noble, miserable sod.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

It may have been the fact that I had been playing it for so many hours but when I finally got to the
    Sniper Wolf death scene
    in Metal Gear Solid I found it quite sad.

Then there's the obvious two from Mass Effect 3,
    Mordin and Legion

And by far the saddest one of them all, the moment it dawned on me that I really should have listened to Marauder Shields. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Planescape: Torment had a few moments, like
    When you find a memory crystal from one of your past lives and you experience yourself callously manipulating someone who loved you for personal gain. Or the "good" ending where you reunite with your mortality, chat with your comrades and willingly go to pay for your past lives' crimes.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution's ending(s) had a very somber note to them, and I felt a more than a little upset when
    I couldn't save Malik from the downed chopper

In Batman: Arkham City, the
    death of Joker
    was like a punch to the gut, I was down for days afterwards.

And most recently, Little Inferno may well have brought a tear to my eye. It might have been exhaustion from staying up until 7am to finish it in one go, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and say it was the game. Beautiful stuff altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

When Buck dies in far cry 3! No Buck, too soon :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

No.

They're only games for crying out loud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

In the loading scene of CJ's Elephant Antics when turbulance hits the plane and poor CJ, alone and afraid, falls to earth...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,358 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The Walking Dead brought me damn close. Not just the ending, but several parts of the last episode
    even just putting walker guts on Clem and hearing her whimpering...

Other than that, the ending of Metal Gear Solid 3 brought me close too
    "She was a real hero.... She was a true patriot... *salute*..."

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

No.

They're only games for crying out loud.

Yes, but movies regularly make people cry. It's the same principle really, not every film will make people cry, but there's lots that touch people and can move them to tears. The same can be true for games, even if it's less common.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

I cry ever time I see Doctor Doom's Guile win in Street Fighter. Then I feel depressed, despressed and angry. :(

Advertisement