Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

phoenix park cycle lanes????

Options
  • 17-02-2013 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

New to cycling..tried going through the park today on the cycle lanes...impossible with walkers and slow cyclists with ipods on had to use the roads...is this the norm??? taxi drivers not impressed...f#%k em...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Nedkelly24 wrote: »
    New to cycling..tried going through the park today on the cycle lanes...impossible with walkers and slow cyclists with ipods on had to use the roads...is this the norm??? taxi drivers not impressed...f#%k em...

I commute into Dublin city centre from D15 a few days a week. I nearly never use the cycle lanes.
    In early morning joggers use them - hard to see even with two good front lights.

In the evening they get worse as the months go by.
    Slow wobbly cyclists, walkers, joggers, people going to parked cars, the dreaded 'walking ladies'

Plenty of quiet roads in the Pheno, plus the hard shoulders can be often free of parked cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,476 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I have been told that technically these things are not cycle lanes: that is to say they are not exclusively for bikes, pedestrians are fully entitled to walk on them. As such the little paintings of bikes dont really count for much.

I should stress, my source for this nugget of information was another boards.ie poster, not anything I dug up myself.

Its not really safe to cycle on them, certainly not down the main stretch. I would rarely use them. Its quite hazardous close to the zoo with all the kids jumping out of cars. The worst is people walking/ jogging with headphones on, cant hear you coming so you need to slow right down.

By the same token, I would think you are just as entitled to be on the road as the pedestrian is to be in the bike lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Nedkelly24

got quite a shock today being a newbee ( fred ) ..roads it is for me so....:-) cheers ...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I wish the park was not permitted as a through way for cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Alias G

I stuck a bell on the bike and the peds jump out of the way fairly sharpish when I start ringing on it. I know people moan about the park cycle lanes but they are actually some of the few bike lanes that I actually enjoy using.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭buffalo

Alias G wrote: »
    I stuck a bell on the bike and the peds jump out of the way fairly sharpish when I start ringing on it. I know people moan about the park cycle lanes but they are actually some of the few bike lanes that I actually enjoy using.

+1 on the bell, was thinking of getting a quick-fit one for training rides in the Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,818 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I walk/jog in the park regularly, and am occasionally forced out onto the cycle lanes. Last week being an example - the inner walking paths were flooded badly in a lot of spots, the cycle paths are elevated and don't suffer the same problem.

But I make sure to walk on the right, and jump onto the grass when any oncoming cyclists approach. I can't understand why courtesy isn't shown by all parties, but especially by the groups (be they cyclists or others) who often refuse to drop back to single file to let others pass by on the tarmac. I got a filthy look and almost cycled straight into by a grumpy elderly cyclist at the Castleknock gate - I was on the grass, out of his way, and he came straight at me!

The Park is such a fantastic resource, it's a shame it's the cause of such aggro on occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,476 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

buffalo wrote: »
    +1 on the bell, was thinking of getting a quick-fit one for training rides in the Park.

Yep, plus one to that.

I cant understand why more cyclists dont use bells.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭buffalo

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I can't understand why courtesy isn't shown by all parties

This applies on all sides. I was cycling in the Park at that time, and noticed the flooded paths. So I resigned myself to encounters on the cycle track (was with a friend who wasn't confident on the road), but when you have people with dog leads stretched across the path, people who walk three abreast and don't make any room, people who are facing the wrong way so that you pretty much have to shout at them, etc... patience is soon stretched thin.

Clearly, you understand the priority of the path, and yield, but there are plenty more who don't, which leads to frustration on all sides. Just continue to be as courteous as possible at all times, and soon everyone will learn some manners.

Well in theory, in a perfect world - ymmv.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

got quite a shock today being a newbee ( fred ) ..roads it is for me so....:-) cheers ...

If you want a flat route, take the North Road.

If you want undulating terrain, take the Ordnance Survey - Upper Glen - Military Roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Actually the correct option is the 2nd option. It's more scenic, interesting and cars can't use it the full way round. And you're a cyclist now, you should be looking for as many hills as possible.:)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

This has been discussed before, and if I remember well the outcome was: "the whole thing is a disgraceful mess, who knows what's really legal or not in the Park..."

I find that the best thing to do is to take a deep breath. Otherwise I'd be liable to lose the rag altogether while cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Sean02

As "real cyclists" we are reluctant to spoil the looks of our pride and joy with a lowley bell...... but if you intend sharing either pathsways or cycleways with pedresrrians it makes sense. You know the feeling you get when you are riding along a quite scenic stretch of country road ...suddently a Cowasaki or 1000cc Harley zooms past...your heart rate up to 200, wobbling all over the place......many peds have this when we glide past, and as they only see our back they dont realise we are "real cyclists".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Actually the correct option is the 2nd option. It's more scenic, interesting and cars can't use it the full way round. And you're a cyclist now, you should be looking for as many hills as possible.:)

The North Road is also in bits and best avoided on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

buffalo wrote: »

I find my fulcrums a great option. Quick freewheel and they jump out of the way as no one is quite sure what they noise is the first time they here it.

Having said that I am in the park 3 times a week at least for the last 5 years, can't remember the last time I cycled braved the cycle lanes.

Way too dangerous if you doing any sort of decent speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Nedkelly24

DELETED

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Sean02 wrote: »
    As "real cyclists" we are reluctant to spoil the looks of our pride and joy with a lowley bell...... but if you intend sharing either pathsways or cycleways with pedresrrians it makes sense. You know the feeling you get when you are riding along a quite scenic stretch of country road ...suddently a Cowasaki or 1000cc Harley zooms past...your heart rate up to 200, wobbling all over the place......many peds have this when we glide past, and as they only see our back they dont realise we are "real cyclists".

What exactly is a real cyclist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Always the same on a Sunday. Everyones out walking on a Sunday.

TBH the paths in the park are not really designed for fast cyclists. If you take it handy and have a bell and a decent light, you should have no problem. Just a little bit of give and take and you can share the path. I commute through the park and use the paths no problem.

At the weekend of if there's some event on, or if you are going at a decent speed you're better off on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Its a stupid design. People with prams have to walk on cycle lanes to get to their cars. They should be swap around.

Also remember the path outside the zoo is not a cycle lane.

A bit of common sense and it be all ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Its a stupid design. People with prams have to walk on cycle lanes to get to their cars. They should be swap around.

Nah, it wouldn't be a very nice walking environment walking alongside the main road, particularly if you have animals or kids with you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Nah, it wouldn't be a very nice walking environment walking alongside the main road, particularly if you have animals or kids with you.

Where the cycle lane is should be for cars to park and where cars park you could have a cycle lane. There'd even be enough space to leave a gap for car doors to open.

Never use the cycle lanes in the park when on the bike, its pointless. Often run in them but always watch my back/run on grass etc some parts like one side of the north road and around the fifteen acres there is no 'path'

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Plutonium Kun

The lanes in the Park are pretty poor. A couple of years ago they did a consultation for the Park Management Plan and I wrote complaining and asking for them to be reassessed, but I got no response. Some parts are just idiotic, and I can't believe they were designed by a cyclist. There is a junction between two cyclepaths close to St. Mary's hospital where there is no transition curve, there is less than 90 degrees between them, meaning you have to virtually stop to make a turn. Of course, the paths on Chesterfield Avenue are better than nothing, but they are afflicted with walkers (or for that matter, cyclists going the wrong way). At night, because the footpath is unlit, many pedestrians use them too, increasing the hazard.

Another annoyance is that they have statutory 'stop' markings at every minor road crossing. There are a few lane accesses for GAA and Cricket pitches where you have to stop (well, according to the law, I've never seen a cyclist stop at them, they make no sense. And of course it says everything that bikes have to give way to cars in a public park.

The problem with them is that nobody seemed to give any thought as to what they are for. Are they for commuters going through the park? People doing training loops? Casual recreational cyclists? Its impossible to tell from the layout, which makes me think it was really a case of 'oh, lets put a few cyclepaths in where they won't bother anyone'.

Dogs are meant to be on a leash at all times in the park. True it wouldn't be great for kids.

The lanes in the Park are pretty poor. A couple of years ago they did a consultation for the Park Management Plan and I wrote complaining and asking for them to be reassessed, but I got no response. Some parts are just idiotic, and I can't believe they were designed by a cyclist. There is a junction between two cyclepaths close to St. Mary's hospital where there is no transition curve, there is less than 90 degrees between them, meaning you have to virtually stop to make a turn. Of course, the paths on Chesterfield Avenue are better than nothing, but they are afflicted with walkers (or for that matter, cyclists going the wrong way). At night, because the footpath is unlit, many pedestrians use them too, increasing the hazard.

Another annoyance is that they have statutory 'stop' markings at every minor road crossing. There are a few lane accesses for GAA and Cricket pitches where you have to stop (well, according to the law, I've never seen a cyclist stop at them, they make no sense. And of course it says everything that bikes have to give way to cars in a public park.

The problem with them is that nobody seemed to give any thought as to what they are for. Are they for commuters going through the park? People doing training loops? Casual recreational cyclists? Its impossible to tell from the layout, which makes me think it was really a case of 'oh, lets put a few cyclepaths in where they won't bother anyone'.

Definitely not for training on as wouldn't suit cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

I tend to ride at night when the 'parking lanes' are empty and it is actually a very handy stretch of road :)

Dogs are meant to be on a leash at all times in the park.

This is always trotted out, it's not true.

And you'd prefer the risk of dogs that are on leads to stray across the cycle lane to get into the trees if the lanes were reversed ? People complain about how bad it is now with people walking on the cycle lanes, it would be infinitely worse if you were to change them over.

This is always trotted out, it's not true.

And you'd prefer the risk of dogs that are on leads to stray across the cycle lane to get into the trees if the lanes were reversed ? People complain about how bad it is now with people walking on the cycle lanes, it would be infinitely worse if you were to change them over.

Its law that dogs are to be kept under control at all time or you can get a fine. Also where there is other live stock such as deers, dogs must be on the leash and i have seen the park ranger confront people over this.

Dog not kept under control

On-the-spot fine of €30 payable to your local authority

Failure to pay on-the-spot fines can lead to prosecution in District Court with a maximum fine of €1904.61 and/or 3 months imprisonment

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Cleaver99

Suprised no one has mentioned that other menace on wheels..rollerbladers!
    Veering all over the place, head phones on, arms swinging out to the side, lethal.

Anyway looking out at the sun this morning I can't wait for the bright evenings to have a spin around the park on my way home.

Its law that dogs are to be kept under control at all time or you can get a fine. Also where there is other live stock such as deers, dogs must be on the leash and i have seen the park ranger confront people over this.

Yes, under control, but not leashed. The only time they're required to be on the lead is during fawning season and even at that only in certain areas of the park, usually in the area around the back of the American ambassadors residence. And common sense dictates to most reasonable owners to have them on leads around the deer herds if they're likely to go chasing them.
    Suprised no one has mentioned that other menace on wheels..rollerbladers!
    Veering all over the place, head phones on, arms swinging out to the side, lethal.

I posted this before but one summers evening I was behind a fully kitted out guy and were approaching a girl on roller blades, rather than give a heads up he cycles up close behind her and gives her a right shove in the back, what a tool.

• Advertisement

So we're in agreement that dogs aren't required to be on leads at all times in the park. The only time they're required to be on the lead is during fawning season and even at that only in certain areas of the park, usually in the area around the back of the American ambassadors residence. And common sense dictates to most reasonable owners to have them on leads around the deer herds if they're likely to go chasing them.

I posted this before but one summers evening I was behind a fully kitted out guy and were approaching a girl on roller blades, rather than give a heads up he cycles up close behind her and gives her a right shove in the back, what a tool.

But they have to be under control at all times, that means cause no menace to anyone else at anytime.

In fairness Phoenix park is not bad for out of control dogs, there is alot worst parks.

Advertisement