Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ramos w28 Dual Core 7" Tablet €63

Options
  • 14-02-2013 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭

Bought one of these last week. Works out at €75 (inc shipping) (depends on exchange rate)

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/ON-SALE-7-Ramos-w28-DUAL-CORE-IPS-Tablet-PC-1-5Ghz-CPU-1G-RAM-16G/716347597.html

Trying loads of CPU/GPU heavy stuff on it to see what its made of.

Build quality is good. Is basic but suits most needs, wifi works good and was able to stream from my Dreambox. Most games play good. Very fast ones are a tiny bit laggy.

Overall pretty happy with the device.

If anyone is looking for a cheap tablet, this is the one to get!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Nice! I was thinking of getting a tablet but I keep holding out for a really good expensive one (200 euro).

But I'm thinking now of just buying a cheap one and then later on in the year selling it maybe and buying an expensive one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Nice! I was thinking of getting a tablet but I keep holding out for a really good expensive one (200 euro).

But I'm thinking now of just buying a cheap one and then later on in the year selling it maybe and buying an expensive one.

FYI I got stung for customs charges too €21 but its worth a lot more.

Dual Core CPU + GPU -Android Jelly Bean

Watching ITV stream from my box and it looks better on this little tablet than on the TV

Also that "brand" seems to do more expensive more powerfull ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

seem decent for a cheap tab might buy one when i get home

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

What's the screen quality like Stephen?

Spec says it's IPS, if it is then this is an outstanding price for this tablet.

Also what's the battery life like? The Aliexpress listing says it is 4000mAh but I see other spec sheets saying it is 3000mAh.

Only for you say that you have it in your hand I would have been afraid that this was a scammer as the price is that good for a dual core IPS screen tablet!

invest4deepvalue.com

Do-more wrote: »
    What's the screen quality like Stephen?

Spec says it's IPS, if it is then this is an outstanding price for this tablet.

Also what's the battery life like? The Aliexpress listing says it is 4000mAh but I see other spec sheets saying it is 3000mAh.

Only for you say that you have it in your hand I would have been afraid that this was a scammer as the price is that good for a dual core IPS screen tablet!

Screen 1200 x 800 IPS. Watching ITV now streaming from the Dreambox and it looks fantastic. Speakers are a bit tinny but what do you expect. Headphones better idea.

Battery works fine at the moment. Ive had it running at least 2 hours playing games etc and it was at about 1/2 1/4 from what I remember

I was a bit skeptical of the spec also so I checked the processor and the GPU out and they check out. Not sure how I could check the screen but as I said before it does look great and HD content from youtube looks good too. Have yet to try a 1080p film but cant see it being an issue.

• Advertisement

Best way to check the screen is to look at it from different viewing angles, a normal screen will look dark and cloudy in parts as soon as you move away from the ideal viewing angle whereas with an IPS screen you won't see any difference until you are almost at 180 degrees. But by all accounts it seems like your tablet has a good screen.

Tempted to get this to connect to a mini amp and speakers for internet radio in the kitchen but I'd be divorced if I mentioned buying any more electronics this month! :o

invest4deepvalue.com

Do-more wrote: »
    I'd be divorced if I mentioned buying any more electronics this month! :o

HAH me too! This is a present for my niece :mad:, streaming the bourne legacy 720p from my NAS. Quality looks fantastic no matter what angle I have it at. No jitters from the stream also so its handling it really well. I dont know how I am going to sneak one into the house for myself

PS this tablet is not bulky at all its really slim, my old man bought a cheap one a while back for over €120 an this one would knock the socks off it.

Screen touch is also nice and responsive unlike a lot of the cheap tablets

If your buying I would probably ask them to remove all the chinese apps and root if they can. save you the hassle. In saying that it didnt take me long and I didnt really need to root.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Coming up as ~$100 for me when delivery is inlcuded. That's about €75. Am I doing something wrong?

Coming up as ~$100 for me when delivery is inlcuded. That's about €75. Am I doing something wrong?

My Bad I thought the shipping was free so yeah inc P&P is €75

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Simi

Good specs, low price and gets pretty good reviews too. Worth it even if you do get caught for duty.
    Nice find OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

FYI I got stung for customs charges too €21 but its worth a lot more.

Customs is meant to be just VAT plus a handling charge. €21 seems a bit steep on a €75 purchase, especially since they normally just calculate it on the product cost, not including shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

There is also a 6 euro charge from an post for custom items too it might be included in this 20 odd fee

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭K3v

Missed the boat on the last cheap Android Tablet. This looks a much better prospect. Time to get the credit card out...:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Think I'll pick one up, looks decent

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭K3v

How long did the delivery take Stephen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭The Bull

Having read the good reviews by Stephen of his ramos, I decided to go for a higher spec one, I just after purchasing this one for 128.55 euro ($172) incl shipping Fed ex 5 -7 days or so. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-9-4-Ramos-w41-Quad-Core-IPS-Tablet-PC-1-5Ghz-CPU-1G-RAM/738971981.html
    Theres one still left at this price and it is the cheapest quad core IPS tablet I've seen online. Hopefully the customs cost wont be too much, I will keep u posted on that one:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

If the specs on Aliexpress are accurate, this is an excellent deal, even with VAT/duty.

Here is the spec from the official Ramos website. (You'll need Google translate as it's in Chinese).

All looks good, the one thing they don't list is the capacity of the battery which most websites give as 3000mAh rather than the 4000mAh on the Aliexpress listing. No way to tell for sure without opening the back of the tablet but my guess is that it is likely to be around 3000mAH rather than the 4.

Only problems I have found online was some people having screen jitter with the 4.1.1 firmware, hopefully that is or will be corrected, there is ICS firmware available also which seems to be stable.

Someone else mentioning a problem with Youtube but the OP doesn't seem to have any problems with video on his so that could well be a one off.

invest4deepvalue.com

The customs charges did include 5/6 euro for the post office.
    I have yet to have a jitter on this firmware but maybe lucky?

Tried a HD stream last night from my dreambox and it looks great but my wireless cant handle it (wireless G aint enough), I do see its N rated also so I would be confident it could handle it. Picture looked amazing no freezing or synch issues.

Youtube works but you can view them all from the default browser better. I use the play store from the browser also rather than the App which is in chinese currency.

roughly 3 weeks for delivery. but dont be alarmed if its longer due to customs and the chinese new year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 ephelan24

From previous bad experience ordering a tablet from China around their New Year I would advice waiting a week or two or opt for a superior delivery service rather than Chinese Post which is a disaster this time of year. Tablet looks very good for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 chenz116

does this charge via the usb port aswell ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

What shipping should I use?

Works out at 120 dollars with DHL shipping!

chenz116 wrote: »
    does this charge via the usb port aswell ?

No

What shipping should I use?

Works out at 120 dollars with DHL shipping!

I used the china post or HK post or whatever the cheapest was, You can pay for DHL if you want but you may not get it any sooner. + DHL have larger fees from what I remember for acting as your customs agent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

The Bull wrote: »
    Having read the good reviews by Stephen of his ramos, I decided to go for a higher spec one, I just after purchasing this one for 128.55 euro ($172) incl shipping Fed ex 5 -7 days or so. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-9-4-Ramos-w41-Quad-Core-IPS-Tablet-PC-1-5Ghz-CPU-1G-RAM/738971981.html
    Theres one still left at this price and it is the cheapest quad core IPS tablet I've seen online. Hopefully the customs cost wont be too much, I will keep u posted on that one:pac:

let me know the customs on that, might purchase one of those instead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Just ordered one, didn't even want one. I hate these damn forums, they ruin my cash flow!

Miike wrote: »
    Just ordered one, didn't even want one. I hate these damn forums, they ruin my cash flow!

:D:D being honest I would love to sneak another one of these into the house for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

I've read that a lot of the new quad-core tablets coming out of China right now aren't much of a step up from the dual-core ones, if they're a step up at all. One reason being that most apps currently available aren't designed to make use of quad-cores. Also, they seem to be using GPUs that are inferior to the dual-core generation. Have a look here...

http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/39744-ainols-quad-core-era/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭The Bull

let me know the customs on that, might purchase one of those instead

I will post it here when I get it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement