Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drink Driving Ban?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

helpme23 wrote: »
    I know the truth man its just the high horse people telling me it was wrong and take the punishment you deserve it you criminal go hang ur head in shame.Its not a debate i started on here i asked a serious of questions regarding my situation and if it has happened to any one before or not.And in doing so i have got mostly back the harsh reality and the you broke the law you must pay the price etc.crap.I Know.So ur right it wont change the circumstances.But if this has happened to anybody before like myself please comment cheers.Or go to debate.

So, as I understand it, you've been asked to write a letter explaining how/why you were convicted.

You have a chance.

My advice is this:

* Write the letter - stick to the facts, and don't try to blame anyone etc. Give the letter to someone who is very good at 'polishing up' letters etc - get them to tidy it up for you. If you're sending them an actual letter, then go to a stationery shop and get good quality white or cream paper - it costs a couple of quid. (You're trying to create a good impression!)

* Can you get a reference from someone? Old boss, teacher, sports coach or someone who has a title that might carry a bit of weight? A Bank Manager/Creit Union manager stating that you've been a good saver etc might help - you're on the defensive here, so I'd try it. It doens't matter if you weren't asked for it - I'd enclose it anyway - needs to be on headed paper.

* Does the Garda report give the blood alcohol level? It'll help from what you've said. Also, does it explain how you were arrested? That may help also.

G'luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭helpme23

Yea it has all the details on it from the garda report ah am currentely waiting on it to be sent out to me at the minute so i would have to see exactly what was wrote on the report at the time so that i can follow it to the statements given.I know my alcohol level was 57/100 i tink so i dont know if that is good or bad.But as for the letter yes it is going to have to be honest and exact.And well done fingers crossed.Cheers man.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ician

I have heard of people getting past this if your blood alcohol level is lower than the legal limit in Canada but was above the limit in the country you were convicted in.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭seamus1980

Looks like the spent conviction bill will also show convictions:mad:
    http://www.iprt.ie/contents/2332
    Bottom of the page
    :mad::mad::mad:
    Also you could apply here for us who are Inadmissible to Canada
    http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5312ETOC.asp#5312E9

Example 2: On June 3, 2003, I was convicted of driving under the influence and had my driver’s licence taken away from me for three years. When am I eligible to apply for rehabilitation?

The sentence imposed ends on June 3, 2006. Count five years from the end date of the suspension or the date your driver’s licence is reinstated. You will be eligible to apply for rehabilitation on June 3, 2011.

OMG

Yea was checking that there now:

"Remember, having a conviction doesn't usually mean that you are automatically barred from entering or working in another country. It generally means that you will have to attend an interview at the relevant embassy, and the decision on whether or not to grant you a visa follows this interview. It can be a slow process, however, and further documentation is often required, so do apply in good time."

There is different avenues for this kind of thing .Get your details of the Garda of the statements and all the other evidence of the conviction.Get it ready send away now it takes 6 weeks so get on the ball for that go into your local Garda station and get form send it off have it ready so you know were you are.And if you got it all ready sweet!Cos thats what i need.

• Advertisement

I have heard of people getting past this if your blood alcohol level is lower than the legal limit in Canada but was above the limit in the country you were convicted in.

Yea i read that alright that and the fact no convictions for a 5 year period after the incident.My reading was 57/100 whatever that means compared to canada.?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Yea i read that alright that and the fact no convictions for a 5 year period after the incident.My reading was 57/100 whatever that means compared to canada.?

With the exception of Quebec the legal limit is the same in Canada as it is here if I'm not mistaken.

And I gave you an example of somebody trying Canada with the same conviction above. This was only last year. He fully disclosed everything but unlike the American visa application you don't get to talk to who reviews your visa claim. it's all done through the mail so it's no problem for them to reject it.

With the exception of Quebec the legal limit is the same in Canada as it is here if I'm not mistaken.

And I gave you an example of somebody trying Canada with the same conviction above. This was only last year. He fully disclosed everything but unlike the American visa application you don't get to talk to who reviews your visa claim. it's all done through the mail so it's no problem for them to reject it.

Sorry mate what example ?Yea i know what your saying but is worth a try is not ?

So what happened did he get rejected or did he get the visa????

Also helpme23 i was talking to a neighbour who is a garda,he had a chat with his superintendent and he said that many people are having this problem and that the canadian goverment are going to change the law they wont be so strict on convictions,i dont know if it is true but hopefully it is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

The limit in Canada is 80/100 which is a criminal offense, they have lower limits that will get a temporary ban but its not a criminal conviction
    http://www.cba.org/bc/public_media/automobiles/190.aspx

Right ok this has to be changed in fairness to be classed a criminal like this is not fair i didnt go to jail ya know.But i would imagine that there is more than us in the same boat.And going by what i am reading it can be done.

The limit in Canada is 80/100 which is a criminal offense, they have lower limits that will get a temporary ban but its not a criminal conviction

So in my case here i am below the limit in canada?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

mate would it not be best to ask an immigration lawyer who deals in getting people with criminal convictions in to country's? that really is your best chance you have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

So in my case here i am below the limit in canada?

This has been discussed see my post number #2 http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056869691

Yea ok but i still cant make head nor tail of that.Its a bit of my depth to be honest. Cheers.

Yea ok but i still cant make head or tail of that.Its a bit of my depth to be honest. Cheers.

You need to find out your exact reading, you may need to convert that to the Canadian reading. If less than the Canadian minimum then you don't have to declare if more you do.

Yea i am going to get talking to an immigration lawyer for sure am not going to make a fook up of this cos for me to do this could be looked upon as maybe in the wrong light and somebody that knows the ins and outs can have a better view on the subject.Yes thats my next step.Anyone have any ideas to were to get a decent immigration lawyer...?Cheers.

My reading was 57/100 was in the station earlier to find out what it was.Is that below?

My reading was 57/100 was in the station earlier to find out what it was.Is that below?

You will need a person who knows the Canadian system, readings can be in urine, blood or breath. North America usually quote as a % but unless you know which it is islts comparing apples and oranges. So you need to know if yours was breath what the min reading in the Canadian system for breath is if yours is lower then fine

• Advertisement

helpme 23 did you get your garda cert yet?mine came back saying

My name was not convicted of any crime while residing in Ireland,other than as set out overleaf.

My name convicted as followes
    DATE:03/06/2008

COURT:Court 52

OFFENCE:Drunk in Charge

RESULT:Fined 400 euro & D/L Endorsed

Also is it possible to get the details of the charges form the garda station?

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ician

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/index.php#2

I have seen discussions on here before, it's by far the best immigration forum and you will get much better answers than on here on topics like this which don't come up so often.

elpme 23 did you get your garda cert yet?mine came back saying

My name was not convicted of any crime while residing in Ireland,other than as set out overleaf.

My name convicted as followes
    DATE:03/06/2008

COURT:Court 52

OFFENCE:Drunk in Charge

RESULT:Fined 400 euro & D/L Endorsed

Also is it possible to get the details of the charges form the garda station?
    Last edited by seamus1980; Today at 15:08.

Mine was the same as that i was confused by this because it said i was not convicted of any crime while residing in Ireland.But i rang the garda vetting and it said it should not say i have no conviction?she told me the wording on the letter is wrong.They dont have a clue.Even on my cert they have given the wrong information about my court sitting and how long i was banned.So there is false information on my cert as it is at the minute.I wonder could i use this to my advantage seeing they dont have the right information of my conviction?jokers.maken it look even worse.

Oh i had to give a breath test in the station twice i remember that now so it was 57/100 of a reading ?

Oh i had to give a breath test in the station twice i remember that now so it was 57/100 of a reading ?

My understanding (but you need it confirmed) the Canadian BAC reading of .08% equates to a Irish Breat reading of 35.

http://www.lionlaboratories.com/testing-for-alcohol/the-lion-units-converter/

In relation to finding a immigration lawyer would a solicitor be off any help to me with this problem ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

if you type immigration lawyer into Google Ireland a fair selection come up.

In relation to finding a immigration lawyer would a solicitor be off any help to me with this problem ?

Not really, there are very few immigration solicitors in ireland and all are working on people coming into ireland (there may be a couple doing Irish to US immigration think there is one in limerick). The only advantage maybe one could give advice on an appeal I have seen it done for minor drugs convictions a number of years after the event to allow visas for the US.

Your best bet is a immigration lawyer in Canadian or maybe US they will know the system, also you think irish lawyers are expensive wait till you pay North American lawyers.

Yes i was looking at some off the ones within Ireland and didnt know if they are for helping in relation in getting into Canada or Ireland.And i would say that a lawyer aint cheap what to do.And were to start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

My understanding (but you need it confirmed) the Canadian BAC reading of .08% equates to a Irish Breat reading of 35.

http://www.lionlaboratories.com/testing-for-alcohol/the-lion-units-converter/

This is correct. If the OP blew a 57 he was 22 micrograms over the limit. I'm in law enforcement in the US and it's the same scale as here.

And as for the guy who asked whether my friend got their visa. No he didn't as per my post earlier in this thread.

Advertisement