Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batman: Arkham Origins

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Conroy is a big loss but definitely liking the look of this.

That looks really cool, very Nolan Batman. It's cool that they're differentiating the game stylistically, hopefully the gameplay and plot will live up to the Arkham legacy.

Also, confirmation that we won't be hearing Conroy in this game: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-04-29-batman-voice-actor-wont-return-for-arkham-origins

Boo-urns.

Just finishing up on my most recent play-through of AC, and while I am excited about what i've seen so far from Arkham Origins, I can't help but feel a bit disappointed at not seeing certain things play out in a straight-up sequel to AC, here's where it gets spoilery;

-Is J-man really dead? But that doesn't bug me so much as the next few...

-The Hush/Identity Thief angle; that encounter between Batman and Thomas Elliot at Hush's hideout definitely left me wanting more and there was definitely more to be wanting. The side-mission was one of the best in the game IMO.

-Azrael; Loved this side-mission too. I'd be gliding over AC in detective mode and next thing notice some guy standing still on a roof, freaky and cool. When Batman does finally get some words of substance from Azrael, he hints at an oncoming epic war in which Batman will be pivotal. Guess that's another that will have to play out in the imagination.

-Scarecrow; His noted absence but many instances of presence throughout AC hinted that he was working on something big and would/could be the big bad in the next game.

-Two/Face; By the end of AC he is still on the loose also, just saying.

Despite all of the above, the forthcoming Arkham Origins game seems to have a lot going for it by what I've heard so far I am looking forward to playing it. Maybe, just maybe the events of AC will be picked up in the next release post-Origins and RS will be back on board along with Dini, Conroy and co.

stankratz wrote: »
    Just finishing up on my most recent play-through of AC, and while I am excited about what i've seen so far from Arkham Origins, I can't help but feel a bit disappointed at not seeing certain things play out in a straight-up sequel to AC

I suspect that Origins is like the Treyarch CoD games, giving Rocksteady time to work on a sequel. I just hope they don't start bringing out a new Arkham game each year, it'd be a pity if the series got stale like Assassin's Creed.

For those interested in the continuing story, it's worth checking out the various tie-in comic series, like Arkham Unhinged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Mr. K wrote: »
    I suspect that Origins is like the Treyarch CoD games, giving Rocksteady time to work on a sequel. I just hope they don't start bringing out a new Arkham game each year, it'd be a pity if the series got stale like Assassin's Creed.

For those interested in the continuing story, it's worth checking out the various tie-in comic series, like Arkham Unhinged.

Seems to be alrite, if they replace Gordons voice actor i`d love them to get Bryan Cranston loved him in the Year One animated film anyway. :)
    I`m trying to get into reading Batman what would people recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭Glico Man

GTR63 wrote: »
    Seems to be alrite, if they replace Gordons voice actor i`d love them to get Bryan Cranston loved him in the Year One animated film anyway. :)

Where do I begin? :p

In no particular order:

Year One
    The Long Halloween
    Hush
    Earth One
    The Dark Knight Returns
    The Killing Joke
    Arkham Asylum
    A Death in the Family
    Knightfall/Knightquest/KnightsEnd
    Dark Victory
    The Cult
    Gothic
    The Court of the Owls/Night of the Owls
    Gotham by Gaslight
    Black and White
    The Man Who Laughs
    Strange Apparitions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

GTR63 wrote: »

Here gives a great suggestion for trying to go chronologically (although it's not essential, aaronh007's list covers most of the must reads!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Hush would be a good one to start off with imo. It's very new reader friendly and features a lot of the major villains. I'd probably avoid anything by Grant Morrison. Although they're largely good, they'd be fairly hard going if you know nothing about Batman (in comic terms) and wouldn't be the best jumping on point. You'd also have to go to the very start of his run as it's all very heavily linked.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Hush is great, its got everything, can't go wrong with starting to read that one, every one should read it anyways.

And the art work is some of my favourite Batman stuff.

Definitely avoid Morrison, I can't stand his stuff. Batman R.I.P and Final Crisis drove me mad.

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Hush is great, its got everything, can't go wrong with starting to read that one, every one should read it anyways.

Definitely avoid Morrison, I can't stand his stuff. Batman R.I.P and Final Crisis drove me mad.

Yeah, I like a lot of his stories, but they'd be nowhere near the top of my list of best Batman stories. Those 2 stories, though, just drove me mad. He was trying too hard to do something original and different and it just didn't work imo. Some of the concepts were ridiculous. I find the rest of his Batman work fairly good, but it's definitely overrated.

And to add to aaronh007's list I'd also recommend No Man's Land. It inspired parts of The Dark Knight Rises.

• Advertisement

+1. I love the artwork of Hush, so much some of it is on me :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Anyone know if Hush can be got in Easons or O'Mahonys. Saw it on Amazon for 16 quid but would like to get it local if possible.

Anyone know if Hush can be got in Easons or O'Mahonys. Saw it on Amazon for 16 quid but would like to get it local if possible.

Is that all of Hush, I had to get it in 2 parts?

Is that all of Hush, I had to get it in 2 parts?

I believe it is the full collection. 320 pages, does that sound about right?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Batman-Hush-Complete-Jim-Lee/dp/1401223176/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367328143&sr=8-1&keywords=batman+hush

maximoose wrote: »
    +1. I love the artwork of Hush, so much some of it is on me :pac:

The Jim Lee Batman on the gargoyle or the one of him coming through the smoke in the boat?

I believe it is the full collection. 320 pages, does that sound about right?

http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Hush-Jeph-Loeb/dp/1401223176

Ya, that's the lot.

That mustn't have been available when I was looking to get it a few years ago.

Actually, can't picture getting it for that cheap anywhere else.

Saw an edition on easons website for 108 euro! I think it's the fully pencil drawn version though.

http://www.easons.com/p-887245-absolute-batman-hush-hc.aspx

Saw an edition on easons website for 108 euro! I think it's the fully pencil drawn version though.

Stick with the amazon one! Tis a recession!

The Jim Lee Batman on the gargoyle or the one of him coming through the smoke in the boat?

Sorry not cover art. The eyes here are from a panel on page 3(?) of volume 1!

maximoose wrote: »
    Sorry not cover art. The eyes here are from a panel on page 3(?) of volume 1!

You mad man!
    That's cool.

• Advertisement

Morrison's Batman has really grown on me, his current run on Batman Inc is brilliant. I'd recommend reading that, it's nearly finished.

aaronh007's list is spot-on too, you can't go wrong there.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Thats the 1 I have. Massive tank of a hardback with a hard sleeve too

The Absolute Edition is lovely, the blown up size really shows off Jim Lee's glorious art. I bought it in 2005, when I had loads of money! The fully pencil drawn version is called Hush Unwrapped. It's cool, but only for diehard Lee/Hush fans.

The best paperback version is probably this: http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Hush-Jeph-Loeb/dp/1401223176/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1367356648&sr=8-2&keywords=Hush

If you want to shop local, it's pretty easy to come by.

Mr. K wrote: »
    Morrison's Batman has really grown on me, his current run on Batman Inc is brilliant. I'd recommend reading that, it's nearly finished.

While I wasn't all that fond of the Legends of the Dark Knight series, Batman: Gothic was a very enjoyable read, certainly the best in the series imo. Arkham Asylum is also one of my favorites. I always recommend it as one of the go-to comics if you're getting into the Batman comics. Saladino's customised lettering for each character is simply tremendous and really adds to it.

aaronh007 wrote: »
    ...Arkham Asylum is also one of my favorites....

I have that sitting at home, unread.

I have that sitting at home, unread.

If I didn't already own 2 editions, I'd be happy to take it off your hands :p

Teaser trailer here, full trailer will be released on 20th May

Teaser trailer here, full trailer will be released on 20th May

Was just about to post that. Looking forward to that reveal.
    Thanks for the Graphic novel suggestions btw lads have picked up a few on Adverts.
    Now back to the Walking Dead.

• Advertisement

Advertisement