Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fur?

Options
  • 11-02-2013 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭

Have a bit of a strange one here?!

I was cleaning out my mam's wardrobe today and in it she had a fur coat that my aunt left here when she emigrated to Australia in 1970. Obviously she had no need for it in Perth. Original price tag for £800 still in it (my mam nearly died!).

It looks lovely on me, it's a knee length mixed fur coat.

I'd never buy fur myself. Anyway aunt said to take it. I'm just kind of struggling with the ethics of it, but it was bought in 1968....animal long passed away.

And it looks great. My dad said he'd never seen a nicer thing on me.

Opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

amtc wrote: »
    Opinions?

Wear it!

Ethical concerns would be one thing if it was a new one you wanted to get, but seeing as it's something old that's already in your possession and you didn't pay for, it's not like you'd be giving any money to the fur industry.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Links234 wrote: »
    Wear it!

Ethical concerns would be one thing if it was a new one you wanted to get, but seeing as it's something old that's already in your possession and you didn't pay for, it's not like you'd be giving any money to the fur industry.

I'd be the same, I'd not buy one new though, mixed logic I know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Wear it if you like it. Personally I find it a bit creepy and outdated. I'm not overly into animal rights (between cow and my diner the steak wins) but I prefer not to wear some rare leathers or fur. I dislike fur mostly because it is often popular with very vulgar new rich and I have no desire to imitate one of them. Snobbish I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I would agree with the others and I say that as an animal loving vegetarian :D

If you like it and you are happy to wear it out then go for it but remember that other people won't know the fur is vintage and might throw a few comments your way.

Personally I don't like the look of fur so I would probably sell it and buy myself something more me with the cash :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Have a bit of a strange one here?!

I was cleaning out my mam's wardrobe today and in it she had a fur coat that my aunt left here when she emigrated to Australia in 1970. Obviously she had no need for it in Perth. Original price tag for £800 still in it (my mam nearly died!).

It looks lovely on me, it's a knee length mixed fur coat.

I'd never buy fur myself. Anyway aunt said to take it. I'm just kind of struggling with the ethics of it, but it was bought in 1968....animal long passed away.And it looks great. My dad said he'd never seen a nicer thing on me.

Opinions?

Think that would be the case even if it was new :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

the funny thing about this coat is that it looks so faux I'd get away with it, but is real. It really is lovely, so if you see a blonde with skinny black jeans and a black and white coat in Blanchardstown or Henry St that's me. It's been in a wardrobe for 40 years so may as well get an outing.

Found a pile of clothes in my mam's wardrobe, she tends to wear half of M&S now but kept lots of 70s stuff n- so uch back in fashion!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Up to yourself!

My Grandmother has a few gorgeous vintage fur coats that belonged to her Mother that have been all around the world. They are probably worth a fortune. Buuut my Mother and I are both vegetarians and can't bring ourselves to wear them! They have just been sitting in a wardrobe for years!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Up to yourself!

My Grandmother has a few gorgeous vintage fur coats that belonged to her Mother that have been all around the world. They are probably worth a fortune. Buuut my Mother and I are both vegetarians and can't bring ourselves to wear them! They have just been sitting in a wardrobe for years!

I saw this guy online who actually inherited an old fur coat of his mums. He actually remade it into a fur scarf/ collar. It looked amazing, and I've always been tempted to see about getting one on a charity shop and trying it myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Personally I wouldn't wear it, it may be a long time ago but as animals were killed for this item I would find it creepy still.
    I would donate it for some good cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭xLexie

If you like it and are comfortable in it, wear it.

Personally that creeps me out, I remember rooting through old stuff and finding a mink scarf that still had claws on it. Horrific.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Wear it! Sounds absolutely lovely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'd wear it, you'll never find a warmer coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I couldn't wear it. I think I'd feel like I'm condoning it or something. It would creep me out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I am not overly bothered by fur collars on jackets but I don't like the look of most coats and jackets. Very ofte they make person wearing it look very stocky or boxy. Nothing beats the "animal bitinig it's own tail" style of fur collar/scarf in ugly stakes though. :D

I don't see any moral objection in this case.
    I can't help feeling an emotional reaction, when I see someone in one though.
    The concept is revolting to me.
    However if it looks fake, I probably wouldn't bat an eyelid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

xLexie wrote: »
    If you like it and are comfortable in it, wear it.

Personally that creeps me out, I remember rooting through old stuff and finding a mink scarf that still had claws on it. Horrific.

Eugh yeah, those creepy fox fur stoles that keep the head and claws of the animal for decoration and then make a clasp out of the mouth so the poor yoke is biting it's own tail! :eek: Finding one of those would scare the bejesus out of me! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I'm a pescatarian, and would wear it. My mam bought me a gorgeous faux fur gilet thingey for xmas, and altho the boyfriend was a bit 'what the heck is that?', I got a lot of compliments the way I styled it (and from a few guys with decent fashion sense if you know what I mean).
    Go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

bit the bullet and wore it today. It's a very classic style - on me a blazer - my aunt is smaller and he said she used to wear it as a coat in the 1970s, lulu style with flat boots.

Bought a new laptop and the girl in Currys admired it and I got stopped twice by neighbours in Tesco admiring it! Feel all chuffed! New clothes without spending a penny!

Dead (pardon the pun) warm and looks great. can't believe my aunt spent £800 on a coat in 1970...when my parents house was £3,000!

One thing that was sweet my mam found a picture of my aunt wearing it at my christening in 1973 (she's my god mother).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

can we see pics? :D

One thing that was sweet my mam found a picture of my aunt wearing it at my christening in 1973 (she's my god mother).

She would get a lot of happiness out of seeing you enjoy it so, and it can be your little tribute to her.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

bit the bullet and wore it today.

Good for you. :):)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 170 ✭✭Oh hai

I wouldn't care if it was a day old or 100 years old, the animal/animals still suffered hugely to make that coat so no, I wouldn't wear it but each to their own.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I wouldn't wear it, but that's mostly because I'd be worried about what other people would think. People understandably have very strong feelings about fur.

I don't think there's anything wrong in this situation as it was so long ago so you're not supporting the industry or anything, but if you encounter an activist they're not going to wait and listen to explanations...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

woodchuck wrote: »
    I wouldn't wear it, but that's mostly because I'd be worried about what other people would think. People understandably have very strong feelings about fur.

I don't think there's anything wrong in this situation as it was so long ago so you're not supporting the industry or anything, but if you encounter an activist they're not going to wait and listen to explanations...

The only time I've had comments about fur I've been wearing (have both a real and a very good, vintage faux) has been from drunk lads. Never in the day-time, never from a female.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I think my main ethical problem with it is that fur evokes strong feelings in a lot of people. It's not very commonly worn and to many people fur is a horrible idea.

Every person who wears real fur, old or not, are "normalising" it somewhat. While I don't think one person refusing to wear old fur is going to make much difference, I wouldn't like to see it commonly worn or becoming something more people see as desirable.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Twee. wrote: »
    The only time I've had comments about fur I've been wearing (have both a real and a very good, vintage faux) has been from drunk lads. Never in the day-time, never from a female.

Why do you feel the need to wear real fur though?

Prehistoric people wore fur to keep warm, we don't need to do that anymore.

People make the comparsion between eating meat and wearing fur but it's not the same, a fur coat is just worn for fashion reasons.

Animals suffer for the fur industry and I really hope the day will come when this won't happen anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

People make the comparsion between eating meat and wearing fur but it's not the same, a fur coat is just worn for fashion reasons.

Animals suffer for the fur industry and I really hope the day will come when this won't happen anymore.

And people can get by on not eating meat too..it's eaten for "taste" reasons :P

Ermmm..animals also suffer in the meat industry? :confused:

But I don't want to start a big ethical debate here! Doesn't bother me what other people do. Just sayin'

• Registered Users Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Lia_lia wrote: »
    And people can get by on not eating meat too..it's eaten for "taste" reasons :P

Ermmm..animals also suffer in the meat industry? :confused:

But I don't want to start a big ethical debate here! Doesn't bother me what other people do. Just sayin'

They do, I've seen cattle mistreated and that's wrong as well.

But for the fur industry in countries like Russia amimals are butchered in their dens in many cases to make the coat people wear and cubs are left to starve to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Why do you feel the need to wear real fur though?

Prehistoric people wore fur to keep warm, we don't need to do that anymore.

I really can't object to fur on anything other than the way the animals are treated. If standards were improved on fur farms I would have no problem buying it.

Unlike the faux alternatives which are made from plastic, fur and leather are incredibly hard wearing, unbeatably warm, and completely sustainable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Delighted you are wearing it. It would be be far worse for the animal to have died, and then the fur binned after no use. Might as well do it the respect of wearing it.

Advertisement