Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there anything you believe in that does not have proof ?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Geomy wrote: »
    Yeah,around the end of June I heard he arrives on Cornish Left,climbs up the cliffs.
    Can be seen cruising the bars in Lahinch on Saturdays,Tees off in Doonbeag on Sunday mornings.
    Likes a cigar now and again.
    He is known to eat bullhuss and tope for his breakfast,his roughage.
    Washes it down with discard juice...
    He goes back to the ocean mid September,swims off home to South Africa :)

I used go on holidays (well when I was a toddler) in Doonbeg, my grand-uncle had a mobile home.

Guess where the fecker decided to build his course?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

I used go on holidays (well when I was a toddler) in Doonbeg, my grand-uncle had a mobile home.

Guess where the fecker decided to build his course?

Where ye had the mobile home of course :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Geomy wrote: »
    Where ye had the mobile home of course :)

Correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

I believe this isn't the Matrix.

Although, sometimes I DO believe that I'm the star of my own 'Truman Show'. You know that feeling when traffic just seems to appear out of nowhere. I usually just put this down to delusions of grandeur.

Now I'll be wondering if the 'director' has instructed some of you 'actors' to Thank my post, or not. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

PM. quick say thanks before he cops it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 EmmettInc

I cannot prove a salamander exists as i sit here, and I have never seen one in real life, and I may not trust every source I reference such as books, internet etc. but I may trust eye-witness reports a b it more, but lets just say I've been lied to a lot and am a bit gullible, so I'm still not sure... I have two options- 1. Conduct experiments in order to prove salamanders exist, ie go to the part of the world which people claim they exist, and find the habitats in which they are supposed to live and after a reasonable series of searches and tests, conclude based on my observations whether or not I believe salamanders exist.
    or 2. Accept on the basis of reasonable faith not blind faith, that if I were to do such an experiment, based on the evidence i have researched from eye witness reports, internet, books etc. I would most likely arrive at the conclusion that they exist, thus I am taking a step of faith, that it is reasonable and logical based on rational and logic, that the assertions made are true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

You could just go to one of the better pet shops and ask to see a salamander...

• Registered Users Posts: 47 EmmettInc

Sarky wrote: »
    You could just go to one of the better pet shops and ask to see a salamander...

Yeah, but that doesn't sound like as much fun as going to any of the places many of the different types of salamander live:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Not only do I believe in something without evidence, but I believe in something that by definition cannot have evidence, and that is in direct paradox with other things I believe.

If I were to make a list of all the things I believe. Individually by definition I believe that everyone of these are correct, though obviously with varying degrees of certainty, otherwise why would I believe them. But I also believe that I'm almost certainly wrong about some of the things I believe, I just don't know which ones. Hence the paradox. And by definition I cannot have any evidence to back up this belief, because whenever I find evidence, I immediately invalidate it by changing my other beliefs to correspond to this new evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

I believe you are mixing up different meanings - or rather usages - of 'believe', probably intentionally for the fun of trying to get atheists to say they believe in things they cannot see and therefore should be willing to believe in gods.
    When I put down my pen and then reach for it because I believe it is where I left it is different to believing that fantastical creatures are true.
    If I were to make a list of all the things I believe.
    Fire ahead.

• Advertisement
Advertisement