Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there anything you believe in that does not have proof ?

Options
  • 10-02-2013 1:23am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭

Normal, rational, intelligent, and properly educated people don't believe in God.

Is there anything you believe in that does not have proof, or to put it another way, what do you believe is true even though you cannot prove it ?

Is there anything you believe in that does not have proof ? 24 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No, don't be stupid
    100% 24 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Normal, rational, intelligent, and properly educated people don't believe in God.

Wrong on all counts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

I have no evidence to support my view that soon Liverpool will win Premierships and Champions Leagues again ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Aliens, billions of Aliens from billions of planets.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Aliens, billions of Aliens from billions of planets.

No evidence - but possible in my opinion.
    If life can survive on one planet why not on more??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Me. It's unfathomable to think how I got here. Typing on my iPad, all from a Big Bang .

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭Branch Meeting

Wrong on all counts.

Christianity forum >>>> thataway

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Christianity forum >>>> thataway

I'm an atheist. Why would I want to go posting there? :confused:

Wrong on all counts.

Not quite.

Anyway, yeah, I'm sure that someday I'll trick a woman into loving me. It hasn't happened yet and will only be provable retrospectively but I believe it'll happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

The Bermuda triangle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Back on topic - has to be E.T.s - thankfully probably too far away to interfere with us if discovering humans are anything to go by.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

Thank you for re-educating us her Goebbels...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Thank you for re-educating us Herr Goebbels...

FYP

All part of the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Popinjay

Thank you for re-educating us her Goebbels...

What does she gobble?

Get your mind out of the gutter Silvio. People are trying to have a reasonable conversation here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

That yesterday happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Oh, look, another fishing expedition. Atheists have beliefs, so atheism is equivalent to religion? Not so fast. :rolleyes:

This question is vague because the word "believe" is so vague. There are things that I think are probably true - such as the existence of life around other stars. But there's a huge ontological gap between that and "bnt Believes in aliens". I don't Believe (with a capital B) in them, in anything remotely approaching the intensity or absolutism of religious belief. If I'm wrong ... meh.

I can say the same about Evolution: I think it's correct because it's the explanation that not only fits the existing evidence, but which has a track record of successful predictions, such as the Tiktaalik. If it's ever found to be wrong, it won't be on the word of some "authority", it will be on the basis of new evidence - and that can only be a good thing. It won't bother me in the slightest, because I don't Believe in Evolution the way Christians are required to believe in the contents of the Apostle's Creed.

So, if you're going look to atheists to justify your own irrationality, be wary of vague words such as "believe". They don't mean the same thing to everyone everywhere.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

The multiverse. Which is, by definition, unprovable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Popinjay wrote: »

On topic, I am still convinced of the essential goodness of the vast majority of humanity.

Also aliens.

Bah. You beat me to it. Despite plenty of evidence to the contrary, I believe that humans are basically good.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Yeah voted no, but aliens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Atheism

I believe there is no god but I have no proof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Atheism

I believe there is no god but I have no proof.

Sure with that logic you could believe in unicorns. At least there's sightings of them all over youtube.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

The multiverse. Which is, by definition, unprovable.

Yea the multiverse and aliens.

free gift you can receive, called SALVATION.

Is it really free?

You have to believe with all your heart that God sacrificed his only begotten Son Jesus Christ for all our sins.

This cracks me up. Isn't god and jebus the same thing?

The scary thing is this fcuking planet is full of deluded nutbags who see nothing wrong in this.

If you choose to remain ignorant lost soul, enjoy your life in hell.

True christian forgiveness right there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

what do you believe is true even though you cannot prove it ?

I cannot prove anything I believe about reality is true.

I can only support it on a sliding scale of accurate. I guess what you are asking is there anything I believe that I rationally know I probably shouldn't given the lack of support.

Can't think of anything at the moment.

Thank you for re-educating us hairy Goebbels...

No problem, anytime.

FYP as I prefer that title.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

Is there anything you believe in that does not have proof, or to put it another way, what do you believe is true even though you cannot prove it ?

You believe in evolution so...?

Not quite.

Anyway, yeah, I'm sure that someday I'll trick a woman into loving me. It hasn't happened yet and will only be provable retrospectively but I believe it'll happen.

There are plenty of normal, intelligent, educated, and (usually) rational people who believe in silly things. It's sad but true.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Why all the believe in the multiverse?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I have no evidence to support my view that soon Liverpool will win Premierships and Champions Leagues again ;)

Harah :D:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Why all the believe in the multiverse?

2,500 thousand years ago earth was the known centre of the universe.

Then we saw other planets. Then we realised we were in a solar system, then we realised we were in a galaxy, then we realised we were in a universe

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

2,500 thousand years ago earth was the known centre of the universe.

Then we saw other planets. Then we realised we were in a solar system, then we realised we were in a galaxy, then we realised we were in a universe

And whats greater than a multiverse?

• Advertisement

sealgaire wrote: »
    You believe in evolution so...?

Its the best current scientific explanation of how we got here. If you've got a better one, present it.

Advertisement