Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there anything you believe in that does not have proof ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

And whats greater than a multiverse?

It's multiverses all the way down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭Branch Meeting

Why all the believe in the multiverse?

Its called science of the gaps :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Chuck Norris :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I believe that it'll all turn out alright in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Aliens

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

ill probably be ripped to shreads in here for this but bigfoot some of the youtube videos ive seen are brilliant and some are totally ridiculous i believe there out there.

I believe my loved ones love me, they say and act so, but can I prove it in the mechanical detached scientifically sound way ? Nah.

Also I believe Fish and Chips tastes better than Chicken Curry and Rice

So I guess I do believe some things I cannot prove after all. Anyways opinion is belief, otherwise it would be fact, not opinion.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

It's multiverses all the way down.

It seems to me to be no better than a lot of the proposals for the existence of gods except they used some fancier maths :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 352 ✭✭Bertie Woot

Normal, rational, intelligent, and properly educated people don't believe in God.

Is there anything you believe in that does not have proof, or to put it another way, what do you believe is true even though you cannot prove it ?

The very definition of belief entails that what you believe in does not have to exist. If you can prove something exists, take God for example, then you can stop believing in God, as you no longer have to, as you know for sure that he or it exists.

And many educated people do believe in God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

And many educated people do believe in God.

The OP specified 'properly' educated for that reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

The multiverse. Which is, by definition, unprovable.

People are working on this ...

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=4iGEARcV8ds&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D4iGEARcV8ds

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

Thank you for re-educating us her Goebbels...
    Only 12 posts for an invocation of Godwins Law?
    GodwinsLaw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Sure with that logic you could believe in unicorns. At least there's sightings of them all over youtube.

I really hope your not insinuating that unicorns don't exist. Next you will be saying that the Easter Bunny and Santa don't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Abiogenesis

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Leelu Dallas' multipass.

SeanW wrote: »
    Only 12 posts for an invocation of Godwins Law

I'm always amused that people fall for this internet meme where memory of the Nazis, and what they did, must be airbrushed from history, and now its even illegal to even mention them or what they did, or that it was wrong, or compare any act to theirs. What a strange world we now live in.

I'm always amused that people fall for this internet meme where memory of the Nazis, and what they did, must be airbrushed from history, and now its even illegal to even mention them or what they did, or that it was wrong, or compare any act to theirs. What a strange world we now live in.
    First bolded point, it's quite the opposite, Godwins Law is designed to ensure we do not cheapen the gravity of the Nazis actions by throwing terms like "Nazi" liberally or disagreeing with someone by yelling "Hitler" or something for a trivial reason.

Godwins Law does not apply when you're discussing actual Nazis, something related to actual Nazis, or where there's a good reason for using "Hitler" "Goebells" "Nazi" etc.

From what I could see there was nothing Nazi-esque about your OP so I consider the response by Silvio Dante to be a violation of Godwins Law. Ergo tha cat pic.

On the other hand, if your OP was "Jews/Blacks (insert non-Aryan group here) are vermin and we'd be better off without them" then it would be approproate to respond with "Tell us more, dear Adolf."

Get a life. If anyone wants to mention the word Nazi in a sentance they are free to do so without you playing little made up huffy internet meme games.

Get a life.
    Wow that's really mature :cool:
    If anyone wants to mention the word Nazi in a sentance they are free to do so without you playing little made up huffy internet meme games.
    As you point out, free speech and all, people are free to make stupid "Reductio Ad Nazium" points. Correct. However it also true that others have the right to point this out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

bnt wrote: »
    This question is vague because the word "believe" is so vague. There are things that I think are probably true - such as the existence of life around other stars. But there's a huge ontological gap between that and "bnt Believes in aliens". I don't Believe (with a capital B) in them, in anything remotely approaching the intensity or absolutism of religious belief. If I'm wrong ... meh.

A general belief that life exists in places other than the Sol system, at this stage, is little more than looking at the available evidence and taking an educated guess based on the balance of probablilities. The evidence isn't persuasive either way, but what we know, e.g. the number of stars, and the percentage of same close enough to be able to spot orbiting planets which show orbiting planted, is indicative that there is a good chance of life existing.

It is more akin to when a cricket coach and captain assign batting order based on run rates and players' past performance at different positions in that order (e.g. your highest scorer might be brilliant at 5 but can't handle the pressure of being first). They make an educated guess on available evidence which may be wrong, but if done properly is more likely to be right.

Those who believe in little grey men, gang-probing half of America on the other hand...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Get a life. If anyone wants to mention the word Nazi in a sentance they are free to do so without you playing little made up huffy internet meme games.
    No, they're not. People are free to mention Nazis in the knowledge that other posters may consider their introduction to the discussion as clichéd and unhelpful, and are free to state this.

Much like telling someone to "get a life".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

No evidence - but possible in my opinion.
    If life can survive on one planet why not on more??

Saying something is possible is not the same thing as believing in it. From a scientific standpoint you have to accept that anything you cannot disprove is possible, although it doesn't mean you believe in it.

I don't BELIEVE in aliens - but I think it's POSSIBLE they exist. As an atheist, I still think god is possible, but not the kind of caring just god that many people believe in. If he does exist, he doesn't intervene in our world at all.

sealgaire wrote: »
    You believe in evolution so...?

Um, what?

There is nothing to "believe" about evolution. There are two evolutions, the process, which is an observed fact, for which belief is as sane as belief in the chair you sit at for your dinner.

The other is the theory of evolution, which is accepted as the best current explanation for the how and why of the fact of the evolutionary process, and which is subject to change when better data or theories are published. Again belief is not relevant to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

I believe there are White Sharks in Irish waters and it's only a matter of time before we will have a verified sighting :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Geomy wrote: »
    I believe there are White Sharks in Irish waters and it's only a matter of time before we will have a verified sighting :)

Do you believe that these white sharks could be great??

Do you believe that these white sharks could be great??

Sorry Great White Sharks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

I believe I am not a brain in a jar...

Geomy wrote: »
    Sorry Great White Sharks :)

Anyone of them with a low handicap in Golf?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

In conversation with a reasonable, literate articulate man the other day, the deforestation of Ireland and specifically the Burren came up. I remarked how the soil was eroded due to over-cultivation by our ancestors which is the current position of geologists and historians.
    My companion said 'I don't believe that.'
    I pointed out that several placenames in the area contain references to woods and trees and he replied 'I don't believe that'.
    There ended the conversation but I am still intrigued that there are people who think that knowledge accumulated by scientific examination may be 'believed' or not-believed as one chooses. I'm sorry I didn't probe further and see if he didn't believe in other things.

• Advertisement

Anyone of them with a low handicap in Golf?

Yeah,around the end of June I heard he arrives on Cornish Left,climbs up the cliffs.
    Can be seen cruising the bars in Lahinch on Saturdays,Tees off in Doonbeag on Sunday mornings.
    Likes a cigar now and again.
    He is known to eat bullhuss and tope for his breakfast,his roughage.
    Washes it down with discard juice...
    He goes back to the ocean mid September,swims off home to South Africa :)

Advertisement