Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to stop - Lent a good starting point.

Options
  • 09-02-2013 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

Have been here before.
    Late 30's and still partying (& all that goes with it) like a 21 year old.
    Have a great career - if they knew what I got up to at weekends - not worth thinking about.
    Would love to give it up full stop. Would love to be a non-drinker. Love it when I go for weeks without it but always go back.

Money, fitness,well being, slf-confidence, self-respect, work & family - all the things I value get impacted most.

i am single which makes it hard to sit in at w/ends.

going to try stop with lent as my starting point and social exscuse.

Wish me luck please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

Good luck and hope it goes well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

KeefF wrote: »
    Have been here before.
    Late 30's and still partying (& all that goes with it) like a 21 year old.
    Have a great career - if they knew what I got up to at weekends - not worth thinking about.
    Would love to give it up full stop. Would love to be a non-drinker. Love it when I go for weeks without it but always go back.

Money, fitness,well being, slf-confidence, self-respect, work & family - all the things I value get impacted most.

i am single which makes it hard to sit in at w/ends.

going to try stop with lent as my starting point and social exscuse.

Wish me luck please.

Good luck man. Totally do-able :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Hi KeefF and everyone :D I have posted this a few times here so i hope you dont mind me repeating it :)

I have made the suggestion to new folks here to "get a plan" for their recovery from alcohol abuse. The old phrase: "failing to plan is planning to fail" is very true in so many situations... and especially so in the case of those of us who are beginning (and continuing) the path of freedom from the devastation of alcohol abuse or that you just want to stop drinking.

SO: What is a plan, and how do I get one?
    • Exercise (doesn't have to be a whole lot; some brisk walking, 3 or 4 days a week, is helpful),
    • Hypnotherapy,
    • Meditation,
    • Dietary supplements,
    • A healthy diet, and regular meals
    • Medication (preferably with help, advice, and a prescription from your physician)
    • Spending a significant amount of time here or other non drinking sites, reading the posts of others, getting to know people, asking questions, and talking about your progress and your struggles
    • Going to AA meetings
    • Changing our environment: Getting alcohol out of the house; not going to bars; not hanging around with "drinking buddies"
    Most people do not use ALL elements in this list; but those who are successful tend to use a LOT of them. And we tend to adjust and tweak the elements, as we see what works for us (and for others).

Equally important is something we call the "mental game." This is short-hand for the process of changing our thinking and attitudes toward: alcohol, drinking, our emotions, and our behavior. We must learn a whole new approach to problems in life (we don't try to drink them away, any more), and we don't see alcohol as a "reward" for having accomplished something. We learn to tolerate distress, including the urges and impulses and cravings for drink, and we allow them to naturally pass away, without giving in to them. We learn not to engage in battles within our minds about drinking; we step away from that whole process, and choose to think about, and do, something else.

Perhaps most important: we recognize that the work of recovery truly is "work," and it takes time, effort, and sometimes it costs money. Sometimes it is costly in other ways, as well; friendships and other close relationships will be changed, when we change. And that can be painful. Making this kind of change will have an impact on all areas of our lives; that is a very, very good thing; it can also be accompanied by some pain. Again... we must learn to tolerate the discomforts involved in life changes. There will be some emotional upheaval along the way. We might want to seek counseling or psychotherapy; we certainly will benefit from coming here and talking about it.

Making a plan, and following it, is an act of mature recognition of the fact that, for nearly all of us, just wishing and hoping that we will stop drinking (or begin drinking "normally") "on our own" is not going to work. Remember: nobody ever "wished and hoped" their way through any important project. But with persistence, and support from others, following a plan can take us to the places in our lives where we really want to go.

So good luck and rememebr it can be done.

realies wrote: »
    Hi KeefF and everyone :D I have posted this a few times here so i hope you dont mind me repeating it :)

I have made the suggestion to new folks here to "get a plan" for their recovery from alcohol abuse. The old phrase: "failing to plan is planning to fail" is very true in so many situations... and especially so in the case of those of us who are beginning (and continuing) the path of freedom from the devastation of alcohol abuse or that you just want to stop drinking.

• Exercise (doesn't have to be a whole lot; some brisk walking, 3 or 4 days a week, is helpful),
    • Hypnotherapy,
    • Meditation,
    • Dietary supplements,
    • Medication (preferably with help, advice, and a prescription from your physician)
    • Spending a significant amount of time here or other non drinking sites, reading the posts of others, getting to know people, asking questions, and talking about your progress and your struggles
    • Going to AA meetings
    • Changing our environment: Getting alcohol out of the house; not going to bars; not hanging around with "drinking buddies"
    Most people do not use ALL elements in this list; but those who are successful tend to use a LOT of them. And we tend to adjust and tweak the elements, as we see what works for us (and for others).

Equally important is something we call the "mental game." This is short-hand for the process of changing our thinking and attitudes toward: alcohol, drinking, our emotions, and our behavior. We must learn a whole new approach to problems in life (we don't try to drink them away, any more), and we don't see alcohol as a "reward" for having accomplished something. We learn to tolerate distress, including the urges and impulses and cravings for drink, and we allow them to naturally pass away, without giving in to them. We learn not to engage in battles within our minds about drinking; we step away from that whole process, and choose to think about, and do, something else.

Perhaps most important: we recognize that the work of recovery truly is "work," and it takes time, effort, and sometimes it costs money. Sometimes it is costly in other ways, as well; friendships and other close relationships will be changed, when we change. And that can be painful. Making this kind of change will have an impact on all areas of our lives; that is a very, very good thing; it can also be accompanied by some pain. Again... we must learn to tolerate the discomforts involved in life changes. There will be some emotional upheaval along the way. We might want to seek counseling or psychotherapy; we certainly will benefit from coming here and talking about it.

Making a plan, and following it, is an act of mature recognition of the fact that, for nearly all of us, just wishing and hoping that we will stop drinking (or begin drinking "normally") "on our own" is not going to work. Remember: nobody ever "wished and hoped" their way through any important project. But with persistence, and support from others, following a plan can take us to the places in our lives where we really want to go.

Great advice, I use 7 of the things you suggested on a regular basis and it's seen me 17 months off the drink. For me regular exercise and a routine have been key along with a much better diet. The key issue that people need to understand if they've really surrendered and they've accepted that they cannot control alcohol( and that it actually controls them) is that they need to change. Change is key or you will be on a bar stole again in no time. That is one thing I guarantee. You need to change the person you are because the person you were needed alcohol.

The person you were will drink again. The person you were will have to drink again.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Carpet diem

• Hypnotherapy,
    • Meditation,
    • Dietary supplements,
    • Going to AA meetings

Hi Realies,
    Great advice above. Your point on using this website or similar is good because I think it keeps you focussed.
    Would you be able to expand on these below a bit more?
    [*]Hypnotherapy,
    [*]Meditation,
    [*]Dietary supplements,
    [*]Medication (

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Aykina

Change is key or you will be on a bar stole again in no time. That is one thing I guarantee. You need to change the person you are because the person you were needed alcohol.

The person you were will drink again. The person you were will have to drink again.

For me that's it in a nutshell.
    Simple (but not easy)!

Hi Realise,
    Great advice above. Your point on using this website or similar is good because I think it keeps you focussed.
    Would you be able to expand on these below a bit more?
    [*]Hypnotherapy,
    [*]Meditation,
    [*]Dietary supplements,
    [*]Medication (

We have to be careful about giving advice here as its not allowed by the charter :D;)

Hypnotherapy
    As a general rule not everyone is susceptible to hypnosis to begin with even in person. ( It has nothing to do with brain function either). I imagine that they may still be great for relaxation, positive and creative visualization, meditation and just taking the time to refocus on your goals? there is no magical potion. ( I looked into that too lol) hard work, patients and time is the only thing that has worked so far, and only when I was really ready to work towards freedom and true happiness and not a second sooner.

You can check out Itunes and the app store to see if they have some cheaper versions of hypnotherapy that are well reviewed you might want to try and see how you feel. The guided meditations might be enjoyable too. Good luck and let us know what you've concluded.

Meditation
    None of us can completely control the stress and tension in our lives and unfortunately emotional situations many times come without warning and when a person relapses during their recovery it's due to stress, depression and anxiety. Meditation is an alternative form of therapy that can not only help to prevent relapse from drug and alcohol abuse but can also help with recovery from other forms of dependency.

Dietary supplements
    Vitamin B
    Multivitamin
    D3
    Co enzyme Q 10
    Phosphatidyl
    Theanine with GABA
    Glutamine
    Inositol
    Milk thistle
    Zinc
    Minerals
    Omega oils
    Vit c ester
    Multi amino acids
    Chromium picolinate
    Tryptophan and melatonin ....when I need to get an early night
    of course any meds you take should at first be talked about with your own doctor and the above are just some I have taken over the last few years in my ways to get healthy.

Medication,

I am not going to post what medication people can take to help them in stopping drinking but there are quite a few out there,but once again you should talk to your own doctor before taking any medication,FWIW i took no meds what so ever as I have said before there is no easy way to stop and it will take hard will power and work in all aspects of your current lifestyle to change,Remember nothing changes if nothing changes.Good luck and let us know how your getting on.

We have to be careful about giving advice here as its not allowed by the charter :D;)

Hypnotherapy
    As a general rule not everyone is susceptible to hypnosis to begin with even in person. ( It has nothing to do with brain function either). I imagine that they may still be great for relaxation, positive and creative visualization, meditation and just taking the time to refocus on your goals? there is no magical potion. ( I looked into that too lol) hard work, patients and time is the only thing that has worked so far, and only when I was really ready to work towards freedom and true happiness and not a second sooner.

You can check out Itunes and the app store to see if they have some cheaper versions of hypnotherapy that are well reviewed you might want to try and see how you feel. The guided meditations might be enjoyable too. Good luck and let us know what you've concluded.

Meditation
    None of us can completely control the stress and tension in our lives and unfortunately emotional situations many times come without warning and when a person relapses during their recovery it's due to stress, depression and anxiety. Meditation is an alternative form of therapy that can not only help to prevent relapse from drug and alcohol abuse but can also help with recovery from other forms of dependency.

Dietary supplements
    Vitamin B
    Multivitamin
    D3
    Co enzyme Q 10
    Phosphatidyl
    Theanine with GABA
    Glutamine
    Inositol
    Milk thistle
    Zinc
    Minerals
    Omega oils
    Vit c ester
    Multi amino acids
    Chromium picolinate
    Tryptophan and melatonin ....when I need to get an early night
    of course any meds you take should at first be talked about with your own doctor and the above are just some I have taken over the last few years in my ways to get healthy.

Medication,

I am not going to post what medication people can take to help them in stopping drinking but there are quite a few out there,but once again you should talk to your own doctor before taking any medication,FWIW i took no meds what so ever as I have said before there is no easy way to stop and it will take hard will power and work in all aspects of your current lifestyle to change,Remember nothing changes if nothing changes.Good luck and let us know how your getting on.

Thanks realies,
    The meditation one is one that I would would be off interest to me. Any suggestions on what you found useful? I was thinking of Yoga but I think I need something other than this as this feels like an exercise really..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 xim2

yes yoga is great , someone recommended laughter yoga as you release endorphin's and helps to feel more comfortable with yourself.
    giving up alcohol is about taking back control of your life & to do this you have to build Self-esteem!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭KeefF

As title suggests, did it again at weekend.

Did loads of family related stuff Saturday, went for a run and everyhting was going fine. Got a couple texts around 9 pm - 10 pm to go out and I was off. Out to niteclub, back to party. In bed until 4 pm, back out about 6pm Sunday night - niteclub and party. Missed work Monday & had 4/5 pints Monday evening.
    Back to square one - feel like a d*ck for missing work and spending hundreds of €'s.
    I need to give up as it is draining me physically, mentally and emotionally.
    Is AA the best option for me?
    I have abosultely no desire to go out or drink during the week. However once Saturday comes I get drawn in and I'm off on a session. I go to the gym 4/5 times a week to Saturday so I can't really use that as a disctraction. I know of an AA meeting in town about 6 pm on a Sat I might try that.
    I know that if I continue the way I am, I will never be happy or have the life I want.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭anhedonia

Did loads of family related stuff Saturday, went for a run and everyhting was going fine. Got a couple texts around 9 pm - 10 pm to go out and I was off. Out to niteclub, back to party. In bed until 4 pm, back out about 6pm Sunday night - niteclub and party. Missed work Monday & had 4/5 pints Monday evening.
    Back to square one - feel like a d*ck for missing work and spending hundreds of €'s.
    I have abosultely no desire to go out or drink during the week. However once Saturday comes I get drawn in and I'm off on a session. I go to the gym 4/5 times a week to Saturday so I can't really use that as a disctraction. I know of an AA meeting in town about 6 pm on a Sat I might try that.
    I know that if I continue the way I am, I will never be happy or have the life I want.

Sounds exactly like my drinking, hardcore weekend warrior with little interest during the week, only problem is that the weekend's excesses destroyed my whole week, every week. Ive been attending AA for the past year with great success, and I highly recommend it to anyone in your situation. It helps to disregard the stereotypical image of the alcoholic as some wino in the gutter drinking every waking second. In reality most of the people Ive met in the rooms were serial binge drinkers. Alcoholism is more about the mindset than the drinking habits, and when you go in you should look at the similarities as opposed to the differences. You dont even have to classify yourself as alcoholic to attend, meetings are open to anyone with a desire to stop drinking. Alcoholism is a self-diagnosis, nobody can tell you that you are an alcoholic or not, and it boils down to this: is alcohol affecting your life negatively and do you want to stop?

So yeah give the meetings a shot, you have nothing to lose and a happy fulfilling life to gain, and you can get a full refund on your misery if it doesnt work out :)

Where are you based?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

It sounds like you could do with replacing your drinking crowd with a more supportive scene. You can get that in AA. If AA is not for you maybe you can get some sort of counselling. Why not level with your G.P. and let him know what's going on?

anhedonia wrote: »
    Sounds exactly like my drinking, hardcore weekend warrior with little interest during the week, only problem is that the weekend's excesses destroyed my whole week, every week. Ive been attending AA for the past year with great success, and I highly recommend it to anyone in your situation. It helps to disregard the stereotypical image of the alcoholic as some wino in the gutter drinking every waking second. In reality most of the people Ive met in the rooms were serial binge drinkers. Alcoholism is more about the mindset than the drinking habits, and when you go in you should look at the similarities as opposed to the differences. You dont even have to classify yourself as alcoholic to attend, meetings are open to anyone with a desire to stop drinking. Alcoholism is a self-diagnosis, nobody can tell you that you are an alcoholic or not, and it boils down to this: is alcohol affecting your life negatively and do you want to stop?

So yeah give the meetings a shot, you have nothing to lose and a happy fulfilling life to gain, and you can get a full refund on your misery if it doesnt work out :)

Where are you based?

Based just about 12 miles outside Dublin City Centre but work in City Centre during the week. Checking out a counsellor in the City online at the moment and considering a visit to AA also. I look around at myself, my home, my car, finances and job would all be significantly improved if I gave up drink.

Based just about 12 miles outside Dublin City Centre but work in City Centre during the week. Checking out a counsellor in the City online at the moment and considering a visit to AA also. I look around at myself, my home, my car, finances and job would all be significantly improved if I gave up drink.

Best of luck KeefF, early days for me too.
    Let me know how you get on with the online counselling and what the rates are like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭E.S.T.

Gym 7 days a week and stop paying attention to the phone so much. Another thing you could do is wake up earlier so that you are really tired by the time it gets to 8-9pm. If you don't want to tell your friends about trying to quit alcohol so they are not asking you out all the time then you could say you are on some medication that has a bad reaction to alcohol.

KeefF there are really two parts to this whole stop drinking & recovery thing. The first part is that you have to embrace abstinence, you have to give yourself a chance by simply sticking it out for a while and being clean and sober.

Then the second part is that you have to do something, you have to take some action, you have to put in some effort in order to build a new life.

But you have to have both parts. You cannot just skip to the second part because it sounds fun to rebuild your life–unless you have already laid the foundation of sobriety by giving abstinence a chance to work in your life.

A goal of 30 days AF is a great start. You need that time to clear your head & your body of the toxic effects of Alcohol ,also as already suggested you need to change activities especially on the week end days, KeefF nothing changes if nothing changes,good luck.

KeefF here are really two parts to this whole stop drinking & recovery thing. The first part is that you have to embrace abstinence, you have to give yourself a chance by simply sticking it out for a while and being clean and sober.

Then the second part is that you have to do something, you have to take some action, you have to put in some effort in order to build a new life.

But you have to have both parts. You cannot just skip to the second part because it sounds fun to rebuild your life–unless you have already laid the foundation of sobriety by giving abstinence a chance to work in your life.

A goal of 30 days AF is a great start. You need that time to clear your head & your body of the toxic effects of Alcohol ,also as already suggested you need to change activities especially on the week end days, KeefF nothing changes if nothing changes,good luck.
    Thanks realies - clear, straight and proper advice. It's appreciated. Going to try an AA meeting Sat evening. Also going arrange meeting with a counsellor to see if he can help steer me in right direction also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭anhedonia

Thanks realies - clear, straight and proper advice. It's appreciated. Going to try an AA meeting Sat evening. Also going arrange meeting with a counsellor to see if he can help steer me in right direction also.

Yep great advice by Realies, I fully agree.

If you are southside there are two good meetings in Rathmines Blachchurch and Donnybrook church community centres on Saturday evenings.

Best of luck!

First weekend not to go on the beer in 2013.
    Got so much done today, up for an early run, bit of decorating & prep for the working week ahead.
    Couple of pangs of "wish I was going out" last night as I got a couple of texts.
    However stuck to plan to get myself out of the firing by calling up to my sister's to help her out on some college work. So glad I did now.

However similar plans need to be repeated week after week to get me through.

Finally took a leap this week and did a session with a counsellor.
    He asked lots and lots of questions.
    Target for me is stay dry until next session with him.
    Think I will revisit an AA meeting this week to help me along too.

• Advertisement

Finally took a leap this week and did a session with a counsellor.
    He asked lots and lots of questions.
    Target for me is stay dry until next session with him.
    Think I will revisit an AA meeting this week to help me along too.

Well done on taking that first big step, sometimes KeefF we need professional help in our struggles,nothing to be ashamed of ;)The first step toward success is taken when you refuse to be a captive of the environment in which you first find yourself.
    Mark Caine :cool:

After a few false starts, I have managed to get through the Easter long weekend without going out on the lash. That gives me 9 days now. Pretty happy with myself as I had the week off work too so I had plenty of opportunity to go out drinking. I have to take this a starting point and demonstration that I can do it with hard work.
    I have started a blog just to jot down some thoughts and record my days - this seems to be helping me so far.:D

Session with the counsellor tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

After a few false starts, I have managed to get through the Easter long weekend without going out on the lash. That gives me 9 days now. Pretty happy with myself as I had the week off work too so I had plenty of opportunity to go out drinking. I have to take this a starting point and demonstration that I can do it with hard work.
    I have started a blog just to jot down some thoughts and record my days - this seems to be helping me so far.:D

Session with the counsellor tomorrow.

Stick with it, KeefF. It's worth it.

Thanks Hubba.
    Session with councellor today. Delved into some heavy stuff.
    But I think it needs to be explored.

Good luck KeefF, it isn't going to be easy I'm not going to lie to you but the results are a totally new and better life. Take our word for it. What you need to do when times are tough is talk to people or post on here for support. First few months suck but it has to be like that to get to where you want to be. Easy does it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

I had some counseling recently. Completely changed the way I was thinking about certain things. I'd recommend it to anyone, for any kind of problem. And I went in a total skeptic.

After 3 weeks off the booze, I went on it the weekend before last.
    Last week I had one of the darkest weeks of my life and I really never want to go through that again.
    Didn't drink the weekend gone out and feel like a completely different person to this day last week.
    It is absolutely critical for me that I do not drink anymore.
    I have started put a blog together to put down my thoughts if anyone intersted - could be quite boring.

http://dryedout.blogspot.ie/search?updated-min=2013-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&updated-max=2014-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&max-results=11

• Registered Users Posts: 31 canice

Yep, you got to give up the drink and all that comes with it.
    There is no point in looking back at previous weekend, a new day and a new begining.
    Just read your blog. keep it up, it will help remind yourself as to where you are at....
    There is no easy way.....
    Hope your counsellor is a gud one who was recommended.

Fair play KeefF, keep it up.
    I'm going through the same as you at the moment and it's tough and bumpy and getting back up and learning from it is all it's about.

The idea of a blog is great - I read yours with great interest. I might set one up myself today and will post it on my thread top read. It can be good way to let of some steam in a constructive way and plan ahead.

The reason I'm not posting on boards in a while is because I'm still in that 30 day phase of getting rid of drink from your system before I think about building a new life. Some of the advice from the guys on here is second to none really. But i suppose if i keep coming on here posting after breaking loose the guys will get fed up of listening to me.

I went to Life ring a few times and stopped. I thought it was good but I think I have a few things to sort out myself in my own mind and physically before committing to it. It's definitely worth a try. I'm going to go to a counsellor when I get a chance. PM if you recommend one as they are expensive and I would like to get the best one possible for my money?

Best of luck with the weekend ahead

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies.
    Met with Counsellor today. he thinks I'm making progress and on the cusp of a really positive change despite the blip a couple of weekends back.

Carpetdiem - I sent you PM

Advertisement