Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fall (RTE1/BBC2) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Lisha wrote: »
    A lot of hollyoaks heads ! :)

Loads isn't there!! Glad to see emmet scanlen in it, he was great in hollyoaks...and that's not two words ud ever see in the one sentence!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Brilliant show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I want to love this show, but what happened tonight? Not a whole lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

A solid show.
    The police officer getting shot was a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

syklops wrote: »
    I want to love this show, but what happened tonight? Not a whole lot.

Much the same as last night. A lot of filler too, like the 999 call. There isn't four hours of plot in this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,214 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Some ropey actors in that show, real amateurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I think following so many characters in this episode was a little overwhelming at the expense of getting to know Gibson any better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,332 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I never realized how rotten a job answering the emergency calls can be

Yes, it was good to see that. And generally, I thought this one did a pretty good job in showing the coldness of an investigation (proper forensic suits unlike some other shows, treatment of the body, finality of the autopsy door closing, and so on.) whilst stilling some having emotional depth. Stella moves from review mode into actively investigating. I must admit that I think her bearded boss seems a little soft spoken given his role, but maybe that's deliberate given the pressure he's under, the political weight that's against him, etc. He might be demoted if he doesn't get the right results.

A few other possible threads launched. The distress of the female PSNI constable, though perhaps it won't go beyond what we saw tonight. The killer's daughter and things going in school. They won't drop that after what happened tonight. Honestly, I can't remember if the 15 year old Paul fought was in it last week. Very unsettling scene given that you knew his kid was watching and hearing things. Or the woman who has a baby in the neo-natal ward - is she new? And the scene near the end - human trafficking?

That said, I wasn't entirely sure of some of the moments within in particular scenes, which I'd fault the writing for, and it felt like maybe the impact was diminished a bit (not on the emotional side) purely to service the plot. But generally, I think the killer and other parts still feel pretty integrated into the overall picture.
    FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    I think following so many characters in this episode was a little overwhelming at the expense of getting to know Gibson any better.

Yeah, I think we were introduced to or spent time with too many tonight. A bit crammed. The death at the end was a bit of a surprise. Probably should have seen it coming given that his child was waving from his window. Still, though, it's fairly standard police TV stuff to lose a partner...even if it's one you've only shared a bed with. :pac:

Now, as for the pathologist...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

The Black oil

The 15yr old was in it last week as the babysitter . Paul walked her home.
    I'm not sure if the lady with the sick baby is just there so we see Paul's wife at work wondering about her husband a 15yr old and alcohol

Possibly human trafficking plays a part with cocaine guy. Seems to be high up police collusion too.
    Am a bit hazy on a few things but I am really enjoying it.

Also when copper went to hotel room for Stella , why the emphasis on her flushing the condoms? Seems a weird thing to do in someone else's room

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,332 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Ah yeah, I remember now, thanks. :)

The toilet flushing scene was a bit thrown in there alright. Presumably it was to show that the PC now knows something personal about Stella. Apart from that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

I gave up when the sister found the body.
    Couldn't watch the inevitable 10 mins of blubbering and cringy screaming to follow.
    would have kept watching if I thought they'd bypass that cliche.

How many more hammy hollyoakes actors can they fit in?

The rest of the cast look like they've been in every drink driving advert ever made on UTV.

Gonna find something else to watch Sunday nights.

Everything seems to be followed up on: when Paul walked babysitter home we saw him say to download music and then she comes around to do just that
    So I think each scene does have later relevance.
    The black oil suggestion re condoms and cop having intimate knowledge of her is a good one

My only fear is that show will let itself down by trying to be too clever . Time will tell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

So a wife would really go off to work leaving the wet, skimpily dressed, 15 year old babysitter with her husband having a few beers and supposedly downloading some music?
    Did her own internet connection get cut off or something? :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I don't know if this might be a bit too slow a burn for me. Last week was fine, but what really progressed this week? They've concluded there's a serial killer which Stella knew last week anyway, and......
    that one police officer is dead, and his mate might be a bit corrupt
    which doesn't really impact the main story line that much, or at all?

I did like when they picked up the dead body off the slab and it was stiff! How did they do that? A body cast? But it looked so real!

DeepBlue wrote: »
    So a wife would really go off to work leaving the wet, skimpily dressed, 15 year old babysitter with her husband having a few beers and supposedly downloading some music?
    Did her own internet connection get cut off or something? :pac:

The wife went off to work after saying 'she's underage' I found that strange too. Logical thing would have been for wife to say 'you're soaked I'll drop you home in my car on my way to work'

Everything seems to be followed up on: when Paul walked babysitter home we saw him say to download music and then she comes around to do just that
    So I think each scene does have later relevance.
    The black oil suggestion re condoms and cop having intimate knowledge of her is a good one

My only fear is that show will let itself down by trying to be too clever . Time will tell

The Bridge, which was on BBC 4 last year, was like that. They would introduce random people and you'd have no idea why they were there but in later episodes they'd be worked into the story in pretty good ways. This seems a bit clunkier though? Like you said it might be trying to be too clever, we'll have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

How is everyone recognising all these Hollyoak actors they are slagging off if they dont watch Hollyoaks?

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

How is everyone recognising all these Hollyoak actors they are slagging off if they dont watch Hollyoaks?

Unfortunately that silly show is advertised crelentlessly on Ch4 . People put 2+2 together

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭Prof Nincom Poop Ph.D

This seems a bit clunkier though?
    Very.

Found myself saying, WTF and Who the **** a couple of times, annoying, wondering did I miss something, barely kept my interest tonight, kinda...boring. Kalinda from the good wife was a surprise as the pathologist.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭vepyewwo

I was looking forward to the second episode of this but I'm not sure I really enjoyed it that much. I found myself glancing at the clock quite a few times and my mind wandering. Last week was slow but I felt it was introducing us to the two main characters and setting the story up, this week was just slow.

The creepiest part of the episode for me was him giving the necklace to his daughter. I rolled my eyes at the wife being fine heading off to work and leaving her husband at home drinking beer with the 15 year old babysitter - as if someone would do that.

I'l watch next week because I'm interested to see where things go but I hope it picks up a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

I'm wondering if the wife is maybe complicit in it all. Will that be the twist. Some odd scenes focussing on her, like the baby in the incubator stuff, then the 'looking at the mobile or attic'...does she know that he keeps stuff there? etc
    So used to bang crash wallop series that I am having difficulty adjusting to the pace of this, but I am willing to give it more time.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,833 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Decent second episode.

And while I wasn't bored.. I do think it needs to pick up the pace a tad!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Once they keep showing Kalinda I'm happy;). She must be there for the slow lads like myself in the audience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

The wife went off to work after saying 'she's underage' I found that strange too. Logical thing would have been for wife to say 'you're soaked I'll drop you home in my car on my way to work'

That scene was strange. If he is meant to be a genius killer, then would he not wait until his wife went to work before he got the babysitter drunk?

Last nights really didn't hold my interest. Still very slow, and revealing very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'm lovin it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I thought the sister finding the body in the bed scene to be another very strange scene. She walked into the bedroom, and didn't even flinch when she saw her sister sprawled across the bed in the nude in the middle of the day... and even laid her baby down next to her!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I thought the sister finding the body in the bed scene to be another very strange scene. She walked into the bedroom, and didn't even flinch when she saw her sister sprawled across the bed in the nude in the middle of the day... and even laid her baby down next to her!

I got the impression there was a few moments of denial, she initially went to the window rather than try to shake a reaction out of her. I think she was trying to avoid touching her at first.

I didn't really like last night's episode, what was the point of introducing us to Detective Booty-Call and killing him so early on? The only reason I can think of is that Scully's reaction will tell us more about her personality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Well there has to be a surprise twist with all the random, but indirectly connected, characters.
    It's all a bit strange!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭brian_t

Gillian will be guesting on LATE NIGHT WITH JIMMY FALLON on Tuesday, May 21

This gets shown on CNBC on Sky (505) and according to DigiGuide it will be broadcast on Wednesday evening.

254643.png

• Advertisement

I think Gillian Anderson is a bit rubbish in this to be honest. I get that she's supposed to be this uber cold and unattached professional or whatever but she's just coming across as not being bothered. Her facial expression and tone of voice never change no matter what (or who!) she's doing.

I'm perfectly fine with characters being unlikable if they're done well but she just seems like she's barely even trying to act. Like she's just running off the lines for the millionth time and is soooooo bored by it all.

I found the babysitter thing weird too. I'm sure last week when Paul was walking her home it was implied that she hadn't baby sat for them for quite a while, so it's not even like they're super close and she's almost part of the family so it wasn't that odd for her to just show up like that. Especially the fact it was lashing rain and she was barely dressed. Very strange behaviour from the wife, even if she trusts the husband implicitly.

I wondered if the baby in the incubator stuff was supposed to sort of be a mirror to what Paul does. Like his wife is involved in bringing life into the world, he takes life away? Like when the dad was identifying the body in the morgue he said "can I touch her?" which was the exact same phrase the mother in the hospital said to Paul's wife earlier. Just a thought.

Advertisement