Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fall (RTE1/BBC2) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I enjoyed that first episode. Read the comments here before so was worried it would be painfully slow but thought the pace of it fit the mood of the show very well. I'll definitely be watching again next week.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

walshb wrote: »
    I enjoyed the episode. I see the mentioning of Scully giving her room number to some randon dude on the street. What was that all about? Yes, it seems to be that she is looking for a bit of nookie, but surely there's a little more to it?

Well I assume as the show progresses we'll learn more about her. It reminded me a little of the main female character on The Bridge, if anyone watched that. She was very blunt and literal, if she wanted sex she just said she wanted it, no messing about with flirting or awkward morning afters. Maybe that's what they're going for with Scully.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

walshb wrote: »
    I enjoyed the episode. I see the mentioning of Scully giving her room number to some randon dude on the street. What was that all about? Yes, it seems to be that she is looking for a bit of nookie, but surely there's a little more to it?

I reckon she knows him from the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

sligojoek wrote: »

Not so sure. He seemed to be quite surprised by her "invitation".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

One thing I thought was very silly was that the "victim" only changed the front door locks after the break-in. She knew the back door was useless, was freaked in the house on her own, and only changed one lock? Silly.

• Advertisement

sligojoek wrote: »

She didn't know him, she asked the other officers in the car who he was and had them introduce her to him. She was just looking for a bit of sexing and fancied what she saw. She was just being extremely forward about it.
    3rdDegree wrote: »
    One thing I thought was very silly was that the "victim" only changed the front door locks after the break-in. She knew the back door was useless, was freaked in the house on her own, and only changed one lock? Silly.

She explained that to her sister in the park. The back door was old and the locks couldn't be changed, the whole door had to be replaced. Her sister wanted her to come and stay with her until this had been done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Thought it was poor. The killer is very unconvincing -he should be more creepier. He just seems too normal around his family.

Also the timescale, like the final scene where he's killing the victim, the cops just happen to call (at that very time) to see if she's all right. Bit ridiculous.

Thought it was poor. The killer is very unconvincing -he should be more creepier. He just seems too normal around his family.

You don't find it creepy that he's a normal family man with two lovely kids at home but leaves them alone at night to go around sniffing women's undies and occasionally killing them? The normal aspects of his life are what make it more creepy. He could be someone you know, he could be your friend, your husband, your dad!

I find him plenty creepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Well I assume as the show progresses we'll learn more about her. It reminded me a little of the main female character on The Bridge, if anyone watched that. She was very blunt and literal, if she wanted sex she just said she wanted it, no messing about with flirting or awkward morning afters. Maybe that's what they're going for with Scully.
    Now The Bridge was excellent good mix of Danish humour and Swedish coolness for the light moments -it crossed my mind too that scully's advances could be construed as the female detective in the bridge prolly why it didn't convince me -

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

She didn't know him, she asked the other officers in the car who he was and had them introduce her to him. She was just looking for a bit of sexing and fancied what she saw. She was just being extremely forward about it.

She explained that to her sister in the park. The back door was old and the locks couldn't be changed, the whole door had to be replaced. Her sister wanted her to come and stay with her until this had been done.

Cheers. I didn't hear that bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

You don't find it creepy that he's a normal family man with two lovely kids at home but leaves them alone at night to go around sniffing women's undies and occasionally killing them? The normal aspects of his life are what make it more creepy. He could be someone you know, he could be your friend, your husband, your dad!

I find him plenty creepy.

Yes, his actions are creepy, but the character is too normal/unbelievable. The scene in the pub where he was out with his mates, and saw a potential 'victim', for instance.

Whereas in The Killing (the original), Vagn was normal, doing normal everyday stuff, but very odd/creepy at the same time.

The final scene also turned me off. What a silly coincidence the cops would call at that very moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I can't say I'm hooked, and it is slow so far, but it has plenty of potential so I will hang on.

I think I'm spoiled by having been able to fly through boxsets of Danish murder at my own leisure. :)

Yes, his actions are creepy, but the character is unbelievable. The scene in the pub for instance.

Whereas in The Killing (the original), Vagn was normal, doing normal everyday stuff, but very odd/creepy at the same time.
    It wouldn't have been hard for him to say to his wife and friends "Hey, let's go to X bar when we go out tonight", knowing the girl was there.

He is ostensibly very normal. He has a nice family, a job that's seen as very skilled and important in society, he's charasmatic. He's not outwardly creepy, only that we know his motives for doing certain things which lends them a creepy edge.

It makes how methodical and brutal he is all the more chilling. I find him a very interesting character, possibly a highly-functioning psychopath. It's unusual to show the killer's identity in episode 1 but it makes for more compelling viewing than "faceless bad guy" attacking women.

I'll give you the police showing up while the murder is happening is a stretch, but it's tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    It wouldn't have been hard for him to say to his wife and friends "Hey, let's go to X bar when we go out tonight", knowing the girl was there.

He is ostensibly very normal. He has a nice family, a job that's seen as very skilled and important in society, he's charasmatic. He's not outwardly creepy, only that we know his motives for doing certain things which lends them a creepy edge.

It makes how methodical and brutal he is all the more chilling. I find him a very interesting character, possibly a highly-functioning psychopath. It's unusual to show the killer's identity in episode 1 but it makes for more compelling viewing than "faceless bad guy" attacking women.

I'll give you the police showing up while the murder is happening is a stretch, but it's tv.

His job is interesting to me. I was talking to a criminal psychologist chap once, and he told me that psychopaths like to gravitate towards professions like that, because they like being able to manipulate people one way or the other, and that gives them both the skills and opportunities to really exploit vulnerable people in a space they have total control of.

It caught my eye, that in mind.

His job is interesting to me. I was talking to a criminal psychologist chap once, and he told me that psychopaths like to gravitate towards professions like that, because they like being able to manipulate people one way or the other, and that gives them both the skills and opportunities to really exploit vulnerable people in a space they have total control of.

It caught my eye, that in mind.
    That's a good point. You could see he was trying it a bit when he came out with "How are things in the bedroom?" the moment he did, knowing it would embarrass the couple. I don't think he necessarily asked out of professional concern.

I would imagine a lot of psychopaths enjoy studying criminology and psychology on an intellectual level too. Some, because they know they're not like everybody else and they're curious about what's wrong. Some, like you suggested, because it's a good way to meet vulnerable people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Regarding the timing of the police arriving during the murder, the forensic reports from the previous murders mentioned that he took up to an hour to strangle his victims. He hadn't even started strangling her when they arrived so there would have been a window of over an hour that he could have been interrupted.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Blackbush1905

everytime the nordies produce something half decent use southerners are jumping straight onto the bandwagan and claiming it as your own lol..... you have to laugh like, RTE (Rubbish Tele Eire) announcing it as a "homegrown drama" when it was set and filmed in belfast for BBC Northern Ireland...... Can you imagine if RTE produced some dublin set crime drama and BBCNI came along and called a homegrown ... it would sound abit silly wouldn't it and it wouldn't happen anyway lol!!.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

everytime the nordies produce something half decent use southerners are jumping straight onto the bandwagan and claiming it as your own lol..... you have to laugh like, RTE (Rubbish Tele Eire) announcing it as a "homegrown drama" when it was set and filmed in belfast for BBC Northern Ireland...... Can you imagine if RTE produced some dublin set crime drama and BBCNI came along and called a homegrown ... it would sound abit silly wouldn't it and it wouldn't happen anyway lol!!.......

Your in the wrong place if you think slagging RTE is going to get anyone riled up. Sure, we know RTE is rubbish. Most of it anyway.

Even RTE had the good sense to stay away from Mrs Browns Boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

RTE just gave them the "Raw" budget

• Registered Users Posts: 54,851 ✭✭✭✭walshb

For a first episode I don't think it went too wrong at all. It was cool, safe and progressive. Let's hope it doesn't got the way of The Following!

• Advertisement

RTE have already been dutifully made fun of earlier in the thread for trying to latch onto this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭brian_t

RTE have already been dutifully made fun of earlier in the thread for trying to latch onto this.
    As I pointed out in an earlier post RTE get an "In Association with RTÉ" credit.
    So I think they must have a legitimate claim of involvement in it.

I agree with all of that. How often do you see something gruesome on the news and when they talk to the neighbours they're all shocked? "Oh, he was just a normal guy." "He said hello to me every morning, I can't believe he'd do something like this."

Sure look at those 3 women in Ohio. Held in a basement in a residential area for 10 years and nobody had a clue. The guy that kicked the door in said he used to have BBQ's in the summer with the guy that had done it.

It happens in real life all the time. In my opinion it makes it more believable than having some guy who lives on his own, has no friends, wearing a trench coat, freaking people out on the bus etc. etc.

As for the police showing up, I don't think it was that much of a stretch. They were in the room when Scully told mustache guy off Hollyoaks about the underwear thing. Lady officer put two and two together and thought they'd better check it out. Handy coincidence yes, but not completely unbelievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Can we please stop calling her Scully.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭brian_t

smcgiff wrote: »
    Can we please stop calling her Scully.

+1

DSI Stella Gibson from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,851 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I rather Scully. BTW, as Scully she was seriously hot. Not as hot as Gibson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Trust me, nobody would be claiming the output of BBC NI ordinarily.
    RTE had money invested in this, they are marketeers, fairly normal marketing speak to claim it as homegrown.
    It's actually a BBC 2 and an Independent studio production and made in NI if you want to get technical.
    You can keep your Give My Head Peace's, BBC NI made that all on their ownieo.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

On the issue of the timing of the uniformed officers revisiting the house, OK it might be a bit of a Hollywood style stretch, but I don't think it's beyond the bounds of possibility. Sort of off the point a bit, there was a pretty awful case in the UK last year or earlier this year…OK it was actually the Tia Sharp case and remember in the early searches they found nothing. Only in a later search did they find her body in the loft. Sometimes stuff isn't picked up on the first check.

In terms of his professional role - this seems to be some sort of social worker, bereavement counsellor, etc. There could have been a dual purpose to his question about the couple's sex life. Professionally, I guess it would go to their mood, coping, communication in their relationship, etc, of course, there could be a more questionable component to why he asked.

To paraphrase Sir Morgan of Freeman in Se7en, this guy's methodical, exacting, and worst of all, patient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

I wondered are the PSNI officers armed?

In the scene where the solicitor calls them when she found her lingerie on the bed, they arrived into the house with guns drawn.

Are the regular police on the street in NI armed?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Any I've seen have always been armed, even at a normal checkpoint or traffic duties during peacetime.

Advertisement