Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Driving Licence - Major Delays

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 mangina

Karen23 wrote: »
    I'm sure you would, as far as I know the old style is no longer being issued. Cost you €55 though.
    eh, youre wrong smartie pants, the cost of a lost licence or licence back after ban is 35 euros.:rolleyes:

anyone got an email or number to call about the delays, ive applied in westmeath 27th of feb, was down to them in tax last week to find out if they knew anything, they where helpful and told me a place in mayo are making the licences for area..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

mangina wrote: »
    anyone got an email or number to call about the delays, ive applied in westmeath 27th of feb, was down to them in tax last week to find out if they knew anything, they where helpful and told me a place in mayo are making the licences for area..

You'll have to go back to the council where you made the application. The RSA have not yet taken over the admin. The council sends on the applications to the RSA.

You'll have to go back to the council where you made the application. The RSA have not yet taken over the admin. The council sends on the applications to the RSA.
    thanks for that, but they said its nothing to do with them now...do you know any insurance companies that dont insist on licence photocopy? ive been previously insured with quinn and 123,is it worth my while calling them and explaining the situation (only back driving in ireland after 2 years away in oz, genuinely lost my paper licence in meantime) ps. i bought a car thats still on english plates 3 weeks ago, its in the garden, worried about feckin customs coming to door and taking, have cash to vrt it....been advised to take road facing reg plate off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

I'm sure you would, as far as I know the old style is no longer being issued. Cost you €55 though.
    eh, youre wrong smartie pants, the cost of a lost licence or licence back after ban is 35 euros.:rolleyes:

ewwww . sorray :rolleyes:

Apologies Helimachopter , better news for you though :)

• Advertisement

thanks for that, but they said its nothing to do with them now...do you know any insurance companies that dont insist on licence photocopy? ive been previously insured with quinn and 123,is it worth my while calling them and explaining the situation (only back driving in ireland after 2 years away in oz, genuinely lost my paper licence in meantime) ps. i bought a car thats still on english plates 3 weeks ago, its in the garden, worried about feckin customs coming to door and taking, have cash to vrt it....been advised to take road facing reg plate off

That's not true and the council know that. Until September, the local tax office still handles the applications. They are then sent to Mayo for processing. The local council are simply trying to wash their hands of the matter. I would go back to them and get THEM to chase Mayo. When was the licence applied for?

Every time I've got insurance, they ask for a photocopy of your driving licence. I can't think of an insurer that won't ask for proof. Your best bet is to call the insurance and explain the situation. See my OP. I had to go back to mine and kick up a stink before they would send the disc. If you know your driver no., you might be able to call that over to the insurance and get them to ring Mayo and check.

As for the car with English plates? I wouldn't drive that ANYWHERE until you get it VRT'd. You'd stand a bloody good chance of having the car seized as well as being nicked for no licence, insurance, tax, etc., etc. Are you able to get someone with a licence to take it in for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

I sent away for mine exactly 2 weeks ago and received it today, although its only a learner's permit so it probably doesn't have as much a backlog.

That's not true and the council know that. Until September, the local tax office still handles the applications. They are then sent to Mayo for processing. The local council are simply trying to wash their hands of the matter. I would go back to them and get THEM to chase Mayo. When was the licence applied for?

Every time I've got insurance, they ask for a photocopy of your driving licence. I can't think of an insurer that won't ask for proof. Your best bet is to call the insurance and explain the situation. See my OP. I had to go back to mine and kick up a stink before they would send the disc. If you know your driver no., you might be able to call that over to the insurance and get them to ring Mayo and check.

As for the car with English plates? I wouldn't drive that ANYWHERE until you get it VRT'd. You'd stand a bloody good chance of having the car seized as well as being nicked for no licence, insurance, tax, etc., etc. Are you able to get someone with a licence to take it in for you?
    i put in application by hand 27th feb into local tax office, im gonna get my arse down there tomorrow if they are still handling applications, swines passing the book, im fuming at this stage, thinking of post all the time, as for the car, i cant/wont move it till i get the licence, i was told customs only bother with you if you are driving the car (they wont knock if its not driving) thanks for filling me in :)*EDIT UPDATE*
    GOT LICENCE 9/4/13, FINALLY :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Notorious93

Cork backlog doesn't seem to be too bad.. got mine today after applying for it on the 26th of March

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Cork backlog doesn't seem to be too bad.. got mine today after applying for it on the 26th of March

Lucky you, I finally got through to Waterford and they proudly told me they are now processing applications revceived on the 11th of March. I actually sent in mine before that and they initially said they couldn't find it. In fairness to them they took my details and called me back to say they had found the application and I will legally be able to drive a car again next week.... or the week after.

Allah be praised.

• Advertisement

Might not be too bad now. But it took my husband and others at least six weeks to get a licence from Cork. No way should it be taking longer than a fortnight!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭akura

Donegal is so slow. I sent mine away on the 26th of Feb, that was 6 weeks ago on Tuesday so I went to the tax office and the woman told me that they were only processing applications for the 13 of Feb and that it will be another few weeks before I get my licence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Here's something else to look out for. I finally got through to Waterford and they told me they were processing applications for the 11th of March and there was no sign of mine (which I sent in on the 5th). They rang back to say they had found it but I got a further phonecall today saying I hadn't enclosed a medical cert (which is presumably why I was put to one side). Back in the day when I did my car test they used to give you EC1 as well (Driving up to 7.5 Tonnes). This requires a medical cert and they will also only renew your licence for 5 years so I had dropped it and only ticked B and W in the required licence section. The lady expalined that I would need to sign a waiver in relation to EC1 even though this is not mentioned anywhere on the form.

So beware, I don't know when they stopped automatically giving you EC1 after your B test, but you better write that you are waiving it if you decide you would rather a ten year licence and no medical to the dubious value of being a trucker some day. Otherwise your application will be put aside like mine and God knows when iwould have been told if I hadn't rung about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Applied last Monday with proof of travel/ car rental for myself and the wife to Cork county council and got our new licences in the post today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 maudeni

I just passed my driving test recently in Dublin and sent all the relevant forms and information away last week.

On the Dublin City Council websites it says they're currently experiencing backlogs of 3 to 4 weeks.

I have no idea if I can drive on my own now, I probably can't without an issued full licence, however I'm sick of driving around with my parents so I have a photocopy of my learner permit and my certificate of competence from the test center and just plan on playing dumb if I get pulled over (which I never have and it's been a year since I've started driving so let's hope for the best!)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭underwaterdog

I've been waiting five weeks for the new category A learner permit to be issued from Wicklow Tax Office.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭jamescc

I put in to renew mine (to remove an endorsement that finished on the 4th) on the 7th may and this is the 16th may and my insurance is due on the 24th for renewal . it could arrive tomorrow (not) this was clondalkin tax office

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Got mine today, about 6wks in total!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭underwaterdog

Got mine today after waiting six weeks. Accoridng to the tax office, the delay was due to an issue that they has to contact Shannon to get sorted. Don't know what that could be but I have it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭jamescc

i hope that i get mine before the insurance kicks in next week. i think i will need it for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭barry181091

Is there still a backlog in this? Just put in for my learner permit - the thought of waiting 8 or so weeks :(

Where did you send it?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

Just got my licence renewed in under a week. Posted it in to Dublin motor tax office with printout of our holiday flights (we fly out on 24th July) and said we want to hire a car on holiday and I would need my licence, and got it back in less than 7 days. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭emy

I just applied for driver licence exchange, based on changing the address.
    Filled up the form, (for full licence), two photos, the old licence, (the paper one ), and I was told that in 4 weeks time I will have it ready. Present licence expires in 2017....... Meanwhile I will be driving with the receipt I was given.
    Lots of people over there. Picked up a 268 no, ticket, but a guy came to me an gave me 186 no. ticket, so I waited three more minutes for my turn :)
    I paid NO FEE.
    I hope I will get the new type of driving licence.

.....One thing I do not understand, why a friend of mine who passed the exam for full licence for cat. B, was given cat.W too?
    According to citizensinformation website, the Licence category B covers B and W.
    I had only B on mine, I do not think I will get the W cat, too.....
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driver_licensing/full_driving_licence.html

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

W is work vehicles (commonly called a tractor license), but it's the same test as a B license, hence both B & W tend to be given at the same time.

B does not cover W, if it did the category wouldn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

For anyone heading to Ballymun Motor tax Office to apply for their licence in person : Ballymun Motor Tax office will close every Wednesday until further notice to deal with the backlog of postal tax & licence applications. Smithfield & Clondalkin will open as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Anyone holding B category is entitles to have W category indicated on a licence.

Also even if someone doesn't have it indicated on licence document, then he still can drive W category vehicles once he hold B category licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

W is work vehicles (commonly called a tractor license), but it's the same test as a B license, hence both B & W tend to be given at the same time.

B does not cover W, if it did the category wouldn't exist.

B does cover W.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

For anyone heading to Ballymun Motor tax Office to apply for their licence in person : Ballymun Motor Tax office will close every Wednesday until further notice to deal with the backlog of postal tax & licence applications. Smithfield & Clondalkin will open as normal.

Smithfield has been closed on Tuesdays since 9th July and will continue to do so until further notice

Clondalkin closes on Mondays.

From September licence applications will no longer be handled by motor tax offices

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭kevin65

Don't mean to be dragging up an old thread but this bullsh*t is still going on. I submitted my licence renewal as well as an off the road declaration to Galway County Council and got the receipt back for the off the road declaration in about a week, but 4 weeks later still waiting for my licence. I rang to inquire and was told they had so many she couldn't even check to confirm they received my application! I got a certificate of postage at the time of posting so all I can do is wait and see. I also photocopied the original licence in case they have lost the application.

Advertisement