Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Driving Licence - Major Delays

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

It's even worse if you need to renew a provisional as I do at the moment, I had to book my test and need to have an appointment date before they will take my application for renewal, this will only come a month before the test so even if the licence comes back after two weeks, it leaves two weeks to get lessons and prepare! If it takes longer I could even lose the test fee since I couldn't do it and couldn't cancel it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 magic9911

I am waiting 4 weeks now to recieve my new card licence. Does anyone know who to contact on this because i'm getting impatient now!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,906 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭jgbyr

I'm in the same boat. 4 weeks now since I sent in for renewal. I'm in Cork & they have a notice on their website that it is taking 4 weeks to process applications due to high volume.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

jgbyr wrote: »
    http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Licensed-Drivers/Driving-licence/Lost-or-stolen-license/

Duplicate Licence/Learner Permit

If your licence/learner permit is current but has been lost or stolen you may apply to your Motor Taxation Office for a duplicate by completing the relevant form (D 401) or (D201). A duplicate licence is issued to replace a valid licence that has been lost, stolen, destroyed or defaced. The duplicate will be a copy of the original licence/permit and will be valid for the same period. Your application should include: Free-in-lieu licence

Free-in-lieu licences are issued (provided your driving licence is current) in the following cases:
    • Change of name/address
    • Removal of endorsement (on expiry of three-year endorsement period)
    • If an error has been made in the issue of the licence (eg, incorrect date of birth)
    • Additional category is being added
    In all cases you must apply to your local Motor Taxation Office with a completed application form, two passport photographs (signed on reverse).

Yep, got mine within 11 working days. Free of charge as it was a change of address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

Got mine within two weeks, applied in limerick, think licence was processed in mayo iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 16 moonshiner

advised in Ballymun to change the test date to April instead of march as the licence will not be ready in a month, don't know what area you are in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

I haev been informed that showing receipt of application will work in Ireland but nowhere else.

I think the long term solution is to have it all done in person - rock up with your forms, get processed and get licence there & then. No this may require a prior appointment but atleast you can get it all sorted in one go.

It's never fun having to wait for something to arrive in the post and every evening nothing new there.
    There is definitely many better ways of doing this - but hay, thats Ireland for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

I haev been informed that showing receipt of application will work in Ireland but nowhere else.

I think the long term solution is to have it all done in person - rock up with your forms, get processed and get licence there & then. No this may require a prior appointment but atleast you can get it all sorted in one go.

It's never fun having to wait for something to arrive in the post and every evening nothing new there.
    There is definitely many better ways of doing this - but hay, thats Ireland for ya.

Not possible. You can't get the license at an appointment as they are now made by an external contractor.

I applied at the Motor Tax Office over a month ago and my license only arrived today. My employer is now more than €5K down over the past month due to my inability to rent a car when travelling.

Civil service clowns!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 Alex Salmon

How the hell are some people getting licences in under a week whereas others are being told delays of upwards of a month?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

How the hell are some people getting licences in under a week whereas others are being told delays of upwards of a month?

I applied a month and a half ago nearly, taking to my boss today he sent his in a week and a half ago, same cc office and has it back today.

Its all over the shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Got mine today, was waiting 2 1/2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

cros13 wrote: »
    Not possible. You can't get the license at an appointment as they are now made by an external contractor.
    Yes, but what should be done is the possibility to keep your old licence until new one is printed.
    Then you could just give motortax office a visit, submit your old licence and pick up a new one.
    That's can't be that difficult to do I suppose.
    I applied at the Motor Tax Office over a month ago and my license only arrived today. My employer is now more than €5K down over the past month due to my inability to rent a car when travelling.

Civil service clowns!

So now your employer should sue Motor tax office for this loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 adshialda

magic9911 wrote: »
    I am waiting 4 weeks now to recieve my new card licence. Does anyone know who to contact on this because i'm getting impatient now!
    Seems to be a long wait now of up to 5 to 6 Weeks contract number for driver licence queries 09625000 don't forget you need the application number from the receipt
    Some details on this Web site
    http://www.rsa.ie/RSA/Licensed-Drivers/Driving-Licence-Changes/Driving-Licence-Changes-January-2013/
    Hope this helps regards
    Al

bodonnell wrote: »
    Got mine within two weeks, applied in limerick, think licence was processed in mayo iirc

RSA is located in Mayo.

A question to those of you who have recently received your licence. On the form there's a section for mobile number or email to receive a notification about the status of the application. Did any of you receive this notification? Thanks.

I received my replacement licence in the post this morning from NDLS Mayo. I originally sent my application to Cork Co.Council four & a half weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭megatron989

I'm in the same boat, lost my licence so applied for replacement about 6 weeks ago, needed it also to get new insurance. So after a month the insurance company cancelled my policy because I couldn't provide a copy of the licence (even though I was with them with my last car, so they already have a copy)
    It really is a joke trying to do anything related to driving these days, I can't even tax my car because my local tax office won't accept payments 4 days of the week. They expect us to take a day off work to do it obviously.
    Rage rage rage...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

My licence expires today , how long to I have to re new it ?

Karen23 wrote: »
    My licence expires today , how long to I have to re new it ?

About 5.5 hours.

• Advertisement

You may apply to renew your driving licence if you:

Hold a licence due to expire within 3 months
    Held a licence that expired less than 10 years ago

Phew

I live beside the motor tax office , if I go over and do it tomorrow morning will they accept my application

Yes.
    However remember that it takes few weeks for your new licence to arrive, so during this time you won't be able to rent a car or drive anywhere abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭blackplum123

Or if your licence is damaged, my licence was less than 3 years old and in flitters....cost me 35 to replace, so an extra 5 euro a year for the rest of the life of the new licence...not too bad. Took two weeks through ballymun office

I thought I might have had to renew before the other one expired.

Left mine into the Ballymun office today , was told it would be at least six weeks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Left mine into the Ballymun office , was told it would be at least six weeks.

Standard responce. I got mine within 11 working days from ballymun.
    My mam posted hers through standard post on the 11th feb and got hers back yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I'm now waiting a month with the tax office in Smithfield.

I was told 2 weeks and that the receipt is fine to show to anyone.

So annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GiftGrub100

Sent mine into Cork on Feb 15th, they took payment Feb 18th, no sign of the new licence yet, last licence took 1 hour from getting pictures to having licence, its a sure sign of progress that what used to take hours now takes weeks.

• Advertisement

Left mine into the Ballymun office today , was told it would be at least six weeks.

Mine arrived this morning, took 12 working days.

Advertisement