Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Driving Licence - Major Delays

1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

kevin65 wrote: »
    Don't mean to be dragging up an old thread but this bullsh*t is still going on. I submitted my licence renewal as well as an off the road declaration to Galway County Council and got the receipt back for the off the road declaration in about a week, but 4 weeks later still waiting for my license. I rang to inquire and was told they had so many she couldn't even check to confirm they received my application! I got a certificate of postage at the time of posting so all I can do is wait and see. I also photocopied the original license in case they have lost the application.

I received my license 4 weeks to the day that I applied. When I applied at my local motor tax officer I was told 2 weeks max.

After 3 weeks and no sign I rang the licensing office in Ballina who had no record of my application whatsoever and said that the backlog had been significantly reduced so they advised me to go back to my motor tax office and find out where my application went.

I was worried at this stage and rang 3 times and no answer, left a voice-mail message on their answering service on the third phone-call and sent them an email all around 10am. It was until around 5pm the following day that I had a voice-mail left on my phone to say 'We apologise for the delay, we have since found your application which due to staffing issues was unfortunately placed in the wrong pile. We have made the decision not to send it for processing to Ballina and we will process it ourselves here in Sligo. It should be with you in 3-4 working days'.

I had a niggling feeling that it had been lost anyway so I'm so glad I chased it up and didn't keep waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

An acquaintance of mine (Slovakian) passed his theory test for buses and applied for driving permit for bus. This was in March or April afair.
    He got his driving permit this week so it took them over 6 months.
    Additionally on his licence, place of birth is indicated as "Slovenia".
    Surely Slovenia and Slovakia sounds similar, but that's not kind of mistake civil servants from motortax office should be making.
    However after my experience with them, I wouldn't expect any better from Mayo motortax office. They are bunch of complete incompetent people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

CiniO wrote: »
    An acquaintance of mine (Slovakian) passed his theory test for buses and applied for driving permit for bus. This was in March or April afair.
    He got his driving permit this week so it took them over 6 months.
    Additionally on his licence, place of birth is indicated as "Slovenia".
    Surely Slovenia and Slovakia sounds similar, but that's not kind of mistake civil servants from motortax office should be making.
    However after my experience with them, I wouldn't expect any better from Mayo motortax office. They are bunch of complete incompetent people.

Well you said it. Stupid, idiotic mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

I sent off for my permit the 28th of august and got it back last Wednesday!
    I had rang 2 weeks before that to check the progress and was told there was a six week backlog.
    At least i have it now,but you wouldnt want to be in any sort of rush for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

I got my provisional during the week, only took a week to come. It's all about who ya know ;)

The system is awful, and I can see why people are frustrated though. I had to pay 45 for the test, and another 35 for the license itself. That's a decent amount of money to be throwing away, while they tell you it'll take "x amount of weeks" - It should be done on the spot! I know with the old style of license's at least, my brother managed to get his re-issued on the day he went in after kicking up a serious fuss in the office. So they can probably still issue a license on spot, just won't!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

kevin65 wrote: »
    Don't mean to be dragging up an old thread but this bullsh*t is still going on. I submitted my licence renewal as well as an off the road declaration to Galway County Council and got the receipt back for the off the road declaration in about a week, but 4 weeks later still waiting for my licence. I rang to inquire and was told they had so many she couldn't even check to confirm they received my application! I got a certificate of postage at the time of posting so all I can do is wait and see. I also photocopied the original licence in case they have lost the application.

Not bull****. The sheer volume of applications is causing the hold up. The Licence is now done by the RSA so expect an 8 week turn around in realistic terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ahmedwageeh

kceire wrote: »
    Yep, got mine within 11 working days. Free of charge as it was a change of address.

if u r applying for change of address, when you receive the new license, is it valid for the same period of the old license? or it starts a new period?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭emy

if u r applying for change of address, when you receive the new license, is it valid for the same period of the old license
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

how long does it take to renew a full licence now that u go to the actual centre to get ur pics taken etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

how long does it take to renew a full licence now that u go to the actual centre to get ur pics taken etc?

I was in the office yesterday - a poster on the wall says 8 working days, but the girl at the desk said it's currently more like 3 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

thanks

Advertisement