Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S4 thread - See Mod Warning in Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,484 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Looks way too big. Hopefully this brings down the price of the S II as that's the size screen I want.

Think I'd be happy with the screen size moving up from my s2. But not certain of getting the s4. Lumia and htc will be looked at a lot before splashing out. I shouldn't be bored with the s2 but I've had it so long and I dropped it recently so I've a nice smashed screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

Looks like u can pre-order the phone from 28 March in UK

http://www.itproportal.com/2013/03/12/exclusive-ee-sell-samsung-galaxy-s4-28-march/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

leemaree wrote: »
    Looks like u can pre-order the phone from 28 March in UK

http://www.itproportal.com/2013/03/12/exclusive-ee-sell-samsung-galaxy-s4-28-march/

Wait.

Its gonna be smaller than the s3, screen-wise?

That's a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Phone is leaked, 5 inch display, 13 mp camera, 19 photos here http://mobile.it168.com/tu/1461878_1.shtml#1

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

ShaneU wrote: »
    Phone is leaked, 5 inch display, 13 mp camera, 19 photos here http://mobile.it168.com/tu/1461878_1.shtml#1

I don't think that is it. Samsung officially leaked this the other day.

GalaxyS4-Leak-Official-01-580-100.jpg

The official picture doesn't have that speaker grill above the logo and it doesn't seem to have that mesh like effect either. The different coloured back plate seems odd too.

Edit: Also, the S4 picture Samsung released looks like it's still going with the curved front while the other leaked pictures show it's flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

ShaneU wrote: »

Yeah I seen it on another couple of tech sites too but it still looks different to the official picture Samsung released hence why I don't think it's legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Tonight 11PM lads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Tonight 11PM lads :)

If it looks anything like the S3 as leaked I'll be extremely dial pointed. I liked it when they used to look "like" iPhone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭SuprSi

If it looks anything like the S3 as leaked I'll be extremely dial pointed. I liked it when they used to look "like" iPhone

No no no!! This is a Samsung, under no circumstances should it or will it look like the iPhone. If you want something to look like an iPhone, get an iPhone.

I have to say that I like the look of those leaked pictures though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I really don't get why people are expecting a major change to the design of the phone.

Since the relief the S3 it's become obvious that Samsung like the design, as they've incorporated it into a lot of new model phones, such as the S3 mini, X-Cover 2 etc.

They were slagged for years for looking similar to iPhone, and now people complain that it doesn't look enough like an iPhone.

I probably won't get the S4,if only because I love my S3 and I've yet to see any major upgrades in the 4 to make it worthwhile. I'm still very excited about the launch tonight though.

SuprSi wrote: »

No no no!! This is a Samsung, under no circumstances should it or will it look like the iPhone. If you want something to look like an iPhone, get an iPhone.

I have to say that I like the look of those leaked pictures though.

I'm not saying that it has to look like an iPhone. I'm just saying in personal opinion that galaxy line design is poor compared to Nokia, Apple or HTC

Just looks cheap, even though the S3 is fairly sturdy the Note 2 has very poor build quality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

is there a link to watch the coverage live

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

I'm not saying that it has to look like an iPhone. I'm just saying in personal opinion that galaxy line design is poor compared to Nokia, Apple or HTC

Just looks cheap, even though the S3 is fairly sturdy the Note 2 has very poor build quality
    You think so? My Note 2 has hit the ground more often than id care to admit, but theres not a mark on it

Meesared wrote: »
    You think so? My Note 2 has hit the ground more often than id care to admit, but theres not a mark on it

Yeah but the chassis squeaks and twists. It's not a solid phone even though it can take a beating. There's a few tiny scratches on my screen and a load of marks on the edges of the phone. While it can take a beating, it's no tank

Yeah but the chassis squeaks and twists. It's not a solid phone even though it can take a beating. There's a few tiny scratches on my screen and a load of marks on the edges of the phone. While it can take a beating, it's no tank
    I don't have that same problem myself, I have to say!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

Agreed. I have dropped it enough times and there's probably a scratch or two on the side otherwise nothing. I think the back coming off and battery coming out has saved me from destruction quiet a few times!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Dropped my S3 many a times from low and high heights, neh a bother on her.

Had iphones from the first to the 5, everyone of them broke and smashed first time they were dropped, yup all of them dropped :o

The reason i went galaxy s3 was because the iphone breaks so easy, even when it hits carpet ffs

EDIT: No i dont use cases, i like the look of the phone i'm not covering it in a stupid case, makes no sense

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I agree. Compare the design of the new HTC One (which is the most beautiful design of a phone I have ever seen) to what teaser of GS4. The GS4 is still going with the curved design which is just tired at this stage.

If the HTC One had an SD card slot then I would choose that over design alone. Lets be honest, all android phones are almost the same now because the hardware is now powerful enough to run the OS where as a few years ago alot of phones struggled.
    0ph0rce0 wrote: »

Had iphones from the first to the 5, everyone of them broke and smashed first time they were dropped, yup all of them dropped :o

The reason i went galaxy s3 was because the iphone breaks so easy, even when it hits carpet ffs

EDIT: No i dont use cases, i like the look of the phone i'm not covering it in a stupid case, makes no sense

You need a bloody JCB phone!!! In my experience both are equally brittle. No matter how sturdy the phone, if it falls in a particular way then the screen will smash.

• Advertisement

I personally think the Galaxy and Note benefits from its plastic casing, as there is more "give" in it than a metal case when its dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

I remember last year when it was revealed I didn't like the look of the S3 and was going to go for the HTC One over it. Changed my mind literally when I was ordering it online. So glad I did as it looks so much nicer when you have it in your hand compared to photos.

Don't think I'll be upgrading this year but tonight could change things. Would hate if it started to look like an iPhone. Find them ugly looking things. They remind me of a golf car. Same design for years and no slickness about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I personally think the Galaxy and Note benefits from its plastic casing, as there is more "give" in it than a metal case when its dropped.

Plastic can crack and break alot easier than metal though. Have you ever seen metal shatter?

Trust me it won't look anything like an iPhone, those things have been left back in early 2010. They just look like little toys these days.

I'm more interested in the finer details tonight, both software and hardware. Last year I didn't like the pictures of the s3 but loved it when I got one in my hand.

Hogzy wrote: »
    Plastic can crack and break alot easier than metal though. Have you ever seen metal shatter?
    I get that, but it doesn't shatter or crack very easily!

s_carnage wrote: »
    I remember last year when it was revealed I didn't like the look of the S3 and was going to go for the HTC One over it. Changed my mind literally when I was ordering it online. So glad I did as it looks so much nicer when you have it in your hand compared to photos.

Same with me. Seen the pictures of the S3 and thought it looked awful, in real life I thought it looked a hell of a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Moving on from the of debate about which phone looks better.

Is anyone else a little disappointed by the amount of leaks?
    Samsung did a pretty good job last year of keeping the s3 hidden until they announced it, and I can't help but feel the amount of leaks has taken away from the night.

Sonics2k wrote: »

Samsung did a pretty good job last year of keeping the s3 hidden until they announced it, and I can't help but feel the amount of leaks has taken away from the night.

I think alot of it has been speculation as opposed to leaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

Sonics2k wrote: »

I have the S3 and like it.I hope S4 is not like the leaked images as it looks like the S3 so I don't think I would upgrade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

0ph0rce0 wrote: »

you need help lad , i tried to break my old iphone 4 and really struggled , threw it out a second floor window and only scratched it , threw it as hard as i could at a concrete ground and just dented it , eventually it broke by dropping it perfectly flat on a tile floor , the screen shattered but it still worked . another lad i know submerged his in a basin of water and came back 6 hours later to it ringing , he took it out of the water and took the call perfectly lol:D
    i swear on my life and my families life thats true .

i have to say i love my current Galaxy S3 and wouldn't change back to an iphone but the S3 is a very cheap and plastiky feeling phone in comparison to the iphone :(
    i really hope they make the S4 a more upmarket feeling

Advertisement