Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Independent Online

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,587 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

the new layout must have been popular - as the Irish times seams to have cpoied the new Indo format - bring back the old editions please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Let's see who's better - :confused:
    The Irish Times today became the first Irish media organisation to launch a website using full responsive design.

The site, at irishtimes.com, has been redesigned and restructured, with a particular focus on the growing demand for the best possible user experience on mobile devices. The new site is optimised to reconfigure appropriately to the screen size of any device, from a desktop PC to a tablet or smartphone.

The website also features a cleaner, more modern visual style, with colour-coded sections and improved display of pictures, galleries and video across all articles, along with increased use of dynamic online tools such as liveblogs and livestreams.

At least the IT has attempted to explain it''s changes - the Indo doesn't give a fig

Building an Irish Times website for the new digital era

The online editor on redesigning irishtimes.com and differentiating it from the printed newspaper

Over the last few days, The Irish Times has been implementing some of the most significant technical changes in its history. In the printed newspaper, these changes won’t have a significant effect on how our articles appear, although they will allow us to do some things more efficiently.

Online users will have noticed the new design of the website, which went live on Saturday. The developments include new colours and fonts, better picture presentation and mobile-friendly responsive design.

More fundamentally, we’re changing the way we push content to the web. Up until now, over 60 per cent of the articles published on irishtimes.com arrived there via a direct feed of text and images from the printed newspaper, uploaded overnight once the print edition had been completed. This (by modern standards) relatively crude process meant our content lacked many of the attributes users expect from a modern website – hyperlinks and tagging, for example. Our new system will allow us to add this value at source for the first time.

This will allow us to group our content in ways that make sense online. For example, where previously you might have had to search across several different sections to find coverage of a particular political issue, now political news, analysis, and opinion can all be found in our Politics section. And if you want to catch up with what Miriam Lord or Fintan OToole have been writing, you can see all our regular columnists here.

It also means that we will no longer be putting the entire edition of the newspaper online overnight. Instead, we’ll be publishing continuously over the 24-hour cycle, seven days a week, reflecting the reality of how content is found, consumed and shared on digital platforms. From now on, different variants of articles may appear in print and online, tailored to the needs of the respective audiences. Some newspaper content may not be published online at all, and some online content will not appear in the print edition. While we recognise some of our readers would prefer an exact digital replica of the daily newspaper, we believe those requirements are better served by our epaper or Kindle editions.

Our new systems allow us to optimise content for online use. At the top of each article, for example, you’ll see ’Topics’ tags. These relate to key individuals, organisations, places and themes referenced in the piece and they link to other articles on those subjects. Also, if you click on the author’s name, you’ll be brought to that writer’s profile page, where you’ll be able to see their other work and, in many cases, follow them on Twitter.

With these new tools at our disposal, we’ve made some fundamental changes to the architecture of irishtimes.com. In some cases, we’ve introduced new sections, such as Crime and Law. In others, we’ve brought more detail than was previously possible, so our international coverage now specifies regions such as the US, Europe or the Middle East. Our Health section, which previously only contained articles from Tuesday’s Health and Family supplement, now includes all out health-related articles throughout the week.

We have also implemented a significant redesign, based on our understanding of data about user behaviour on the site, along with analysis of how the overall digital media landscape is changing. Those changes are happening very fast - we anticipate that very soon over 50 per cent of our audience will be accessing irishtimes.com via mobile devices. That has significant implications which we need to take on board.

A development of this scale inevitably prompts many reactions, both positive and negative, and we’ve had plenty of both since our relaunch. We have had a few teething problems with our new systems as we roll them out this week. These have had some negative impact on our online publishing to the website and our News app since the weekend. We are working very hard to resolve these as quickly as possible and to get our digital platforms functioning fully. It’s unfortunate that the redesigned site has been adversely affected by these technical problems, which have delayed the publication of our content over the last three days, but I’m hopeful that we can fix these relatively soon. In the meantime, if you have any questions, please post them below and I’ll do my best to answer as comprehensively and promptly as I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

If I go to my local shop at 7am to buy an Indo or I Times I don't expect to buy a paper that has 50% of yesterday's paper in it . I want 100% of today's paper TODAY. What these websites are giving us is a drip of new news interspersed with a lot of old news. It'd probably be fair to say that the only time I can read ALL of what was in the 7am printed edition is about 4pm online :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Until they stop sourcing the majority of their stories from news agencies and don't distinguish which ones are actually Irish and therefore deserve to be in the 'National News' section, probably not.
    i have to agree.. really annoying. I have seen a number of captons like last week 'governments helpa first time buyers...' I was wondering that seems interesting then mid way down they are talking about the chanceler said.....

also articles written refering to things like .... one of the main banks in the republic of ireland..... gets my goat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Capri wrote: »
    If I go to my local shop at 7am to buy an Indo or I Times I don't expect to buy a paper that has 50% of yesterday's paper in it . I want 100% of today's paper TODAY. What these websites are giving us is a drip of new news interspersed with a lot of old news. It'd probably be fair to say that the only time I can read ALL of what was in the 7am printed edition is about 4pm online :mad:

Online websites are not newspapers. An old item with a lot of comments will have a better click count and therefore more advertising value.

Both the indo and the IT are right to not follow the old "make it look and act like a newspaper in HTML" model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Jazzmaster

The Indo has become such a rag over the last couple of years. I used to read it every morning before I got up for work but that's happening less and less now. The new look suits it on it's slide into tabloid journalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Jazzmaster wrote: »
    The Indo has become such a rag over the last couple of years. I used to read it every morning before I got up for work but that's happening less and less now. The new look suits it on it's slide into tabloid journalism.

They may, of course, be responding to their click-throughs - if it's tabloidy, then the kind of visitors will be those that like tabloid stories, and the more tabloid stories are going to be clicked, which means it's going to respond by being more tabloidy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

They may, of course, be responding to their click-throughs - if it's tabloidy, then the kind of visitors will be those that like tabloid stories, and the more tabloid stories are going to be clicked, which means it's going to respond by being more tabloidy...
    Two stories currently in the Breaking News section of the home page are:

1. Triangular flapjacks off school menu

2. Carol Voderman breaks nose in fall

Says it all really. I didn't click on them but I'd be 90% confident that the first story is a UK one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Two stories currently in the Breaking News section of the home page are:

1. Triangular flapjacks off school menu

2. Carol Voderman breaks nose in fall

Says it all really. I didn't click on them but I'd be 90% confident that the first story is a UK one.

If only because Ireland doesn't have school dinners...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

the lack of good news content on these site's (indep and Itimes) has made me not want to log onto them anymore.......in fairness, thejournal.ie does the job for me now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

So embarrassed for whatever cave dweller pushed that site into production.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

I think its pretty good. Certainly the best of then Irish news sites. IT has some decent content, but website itself just not so good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

MidlandsM wrote: »
    .......in fairness, thejournal.ie does the job for me now.

Not a serious news site though. More a hybrid between a news site and After Hours that I'm not sure anyone was looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭SolarFlash

it's good. The IT site could be better.

Advertisement