Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Independent Online

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Thud

thrilling content as always:

http://www.independent.ie/woman/celeb-news/samantha-mumba-back-on-red-carpet-like-bolt-out-of-the-blue-29052702.html

say wha?
    "Despite living in Hollywood and her wrinkle free face, she appears to have shunned going under the knife and aged the old fashioned way: by taking care of herself. Although, at 30, she’s hardly “aged” by any stretch of the imagination, but in Hollywood years, she might as well be 60."

so they are saying she's old but she's not old but looks old??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Yeuch, yeuch, yeuch with added yeuch! Nothing at all wrong with the old one. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

They've release a 'news' article regarding "Irelands leading news website" and they have the following
    The new design reflects significant input from readers, who provided us with key insights and feedback following user research and studies of emerging consumption trends that we conducted in 2012.

It's the readers fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

what is with every website and it's sudden obsession with big chunky text and rectangles, it looks awful
    boards touch is the same now too.

It just looks really really cheap and budget, the old site was far superior

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ROS123

In relation to aesthetics not content, I think it looks worse, I thought it might have been just the first look, but no, again this morning it looks dreadful. I didn't get a chance to look at it on a tablet, is it any better in that format ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

2 things - amazed someone said let's go with that font and that they updated it during the Irish working day when many were on the site instead of doing it at say 4AM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

The letters page is fecked too - very hard to navigate to and all the content is from late last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ROS123

Its all broken now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

They should fix the title of the "Woman" section. It should read "Don't worry your pretty little head about the serious news, here's some models you won't ever look like and some horoscopes to fill your tiny brains".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Tried to find a place to register my disgust with the new format of their site, I loved the old one, visited daily. I couldn't find any place to give them my opinion... So I googled site:boards.ie independent .... TG for this place.

Any suggestions to alternative Irish news sites? I'm ready to move on if they don't fix it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

yankinlk wrote: »
    Tried to find a place to register my disgust with the new format of their site, I loved the old one, visited daily. I couldn't find any place to give them my opinion... So I googled site:boards.ie independent .... TG for this place.

Any suggestions to alternative Irish news sites? I'm ready to move on if they don't fix it.

www.irishtimes.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

ROS123 wrote: »
    Its all broken now.....

One headline that won't reach it's News pages :p -

'Irish Independent's 'new look' website a disaster

Plans in place to return to old look.... '

You'd have to seriously wonder what eejit gave the go-ahead to that 'new look' Indo site - they should have run two sites in tandem 'New/Traditional' like they did with the print editions :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

That font is awful, particularly when bolded. It looks low rent.

That's because it is low rent.Indo and Sindo worst rags out there but still with delusions of grandeur.....they are worse than any of the Irish tabloids and that's saying something...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

every time you want to watch a video on the site there's a upc advert with that muppet craig doyle.once is enough ffs.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/inside-independent/independentie-redesign-your-feedback-29086126.html
    22 February 2013

It's been two weeks since we launched the new Independent.ie and you've certainly given us plenty to think about. There's been some positive feedback and naturally some more mixed reactions.

If you like the site and told us so, thank you for your feedback, it's much appreciated!

If you weren't so keen on the new design, we hope you'll continue to persist with the new site and that you'll see the benefits in time.

We've taken note of all your feedback and will look at it in detail and use it to inform our decisions as we move forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Capri wrote: »
    In other words, thank you to the people that like our site, **** off to those who don't.

There is still content there that is not dated ( for obvious reasons - it'd show how old it is ) but where the old site was refreshed by about 6am , now it could be 2pm before we have 'yesterday's news' - and they're not alone, one of the IT blogs has something about John Lewis Snowman and Conor Pope's blog isn't exactly up to date. Maybe they want us to buy newspapers again ? ( Q. What is a 'newspaper' Grandad ? :p:p )

Indo meltdown continues -

Luke Byrne – 01 March 2013

IT'S already the biggest, most authoritative and most popular online news resource in the country.

But readers of Independent.ie are in for a new treat, with a celebrity guest editor lined up to sit into the hot seat. :eek:

Speaking at an event marking the launch of the new online operation, Irish Independent Editor Stephen Rae said the name was being kept under wraps for now. However, readers will find out the identity of the guest editor within the next month.

"I think it's probably the biggest celebrity in the country at the moment,"(Dustin :confused::confused::D ) said Joe Webb, chief executive of Independent News & Media (INM) Ireland.

The new online project went live two weeks ago after 16 months of work.

Mr Webb said: "We're very pleased. We've had a very strong reaction to it.:mad::mad::mad: It's one of numerous projects in the pipeline."

Ian Byrne, head of Independent Digital, said: "We've had really good feedback from consumers; overwhelmingly it's been positive." :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

guest celebrity editor OMG!!!!

:rolleyes:
    How about an editor with actual standards?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Morag wrote: »
    Oh gods a Woman Section... FFS
    The 'Independent Woman' section is great. Gathers all (most of) the useless ****e together in one place so you can scroll right past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Why are there so few Irish stories?

And why are stories from abroad, but with interest for Irish people, not adjusted? You're constantly reading some syndicated American report, with, tacked on at the end, "xxx% of UK households...." where presumably some British journalist hastily got the British figures relating to the study, but the Indo's Irish staff haven't bothered to take out the useless UK figure and find the Irish one.

And why are non-Irish stories not identified as such in the headline. You're constantly opening stories with shock headlines: "Ferret eats toddler's toes as mother slept" only to discover that this happened in Surrey.

XX days after 'relaunch' - only time I can read today's paper is in the evening - no use trying to get it before 7am because it's still yesterday's paper :mad::mad:

At least the IT is online after midnight with the LATEST news :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

When did Paul Williams start writing for them?

whatever bit of credibility they might have had remaining is gone now.

A horrible excuse for a journalist.

The Indo now belongs in the gutter with the Sunday world and The Sun.

How a non-red top could even think about employing him beggars belief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Capri wrote: »
    XX days after 'relaunch' - only time I can read today's paper is in the evening - no use trying to get it before 7am because it's still yesterday's paper :mad::mad:

At least the IT is online after midnight with the LATEST news :cool:

9am now and the majority of the stories on the front page are from yesterday.

9am now and the majority of the stories on the front page are from yesterday.

If you're going to have an online paper, you've got 4 choices:

* Have everything online (but then why should people buy the paper?)
    * Make your online version add value to the paper version with news focus pieces, etc
    * Follow your online readers in the online version, which almost certainly means going for the most tabloid stories on the online site, whatever of the character of the newspaper itself.

Very hard to know what newspapers should do. The NYT, by limiting its online read to - what is it, 10 pieces per month? - reckons it has saved its business. I wouldn't be surprised if that weren't the model for the future for most papers.

At the moment, the news business is haemorrhaging jobs, and quality is nosediving in the 'quality' papers. Very hard to say what the future holds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Henlars67 wrote: »
    When did Paul Williams start writing for them?

whatever bit of credibility they might have had remaining is gone now.

A horrible excuse for a journalist.

The Indo now belongs in the gutter with the Sunday world and The Sun.

How a non-red top could even think about employing him beggars belief.
    i know, how could a paper which for years has breathlessly covered the private lives of Rosanna Davidson and Glenda Gilson, Twink's latest holidays, and the latest social events on South William St., stoop to such a low?!

If you're going to have an online paper, you've got 4 choices:

* Have everything online (but then why should people buy the paper?)
    * Make your online version add value to the paper version with news focus pieces, etc
    * Follow your online readers in the online version, which almost certainly means going for the most tabloid stories on the online site, whatever of the character of the newspaper itself.

Very hard to know what newspapers should do. The NYT, by limiting its online read to - what is it, 10 pieces per month? - reckons it has saved its business. I wouldn't be surprised if that weren't the model for the future for most papers.

At the moment, the news business is haemorrhaging jobs, and quality is nosediving in the 'quality' papers. Very hard to say what the future holds.

Good points but if they are going to go down the pay for access route, they're going to have to up their game. Before the re-launch, the day's stories were live by about 7:30-8:00am which is not as early as the IT but probably still acceptable enough. However since the new version came out, the day's stories aren't getting uploaded until much later. If I'm going to be paying for access, I want the news first thing, not from about 9am onwards.

Good points but if they are going to go down the pay for access route, they're going to have to up their game. Before the re-launch, the day's stories were live by about 7:30-8:00am which is not as early as the IT but probably still acceptable enough. However since the new version came out, the day's stories aren't getting uploaded until much later. If I'm going to be paying for access, I want the news first thing, not from about 9am onwards.

I think this may be what the Telegraph does, the English paper; subscriber-only for running news stories and new features, open access for older stories.

• Advertisement

I think this may be what the Telegraph does, the English paper; subscriber-only for running news stories and new features, open access for older stories.

That makes sense alright. Might be what they are setting up for.

Advertisement