Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Independent Online

Options
  • 06-02-2013 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭

What has happened to the online version, is this an improvement ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Nope, I was in the middle of reading it, it hung, I refreshed and was greeted by some ugly looking thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

ROS123 wrote: »
    What has happened to the online version, is this an improvement ?
    Until they stop sourcing the majority of their stories from news agencies and don't distinguish which ones are actually Irish and therefore deserve to be in the 'National News' section, probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

They obviously decided to make the site look like their written content.. Pure Shíte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Good to see they're still calling that Northern Irish city 'Londonderry' (current story about Presb. Minister in breaking news section)

Good to see they're still calling that Northern Irish city 'Londonderry' (current story about Presb. Minister in breaking news section)

That story came direct from the Belfast Telegraph. Same company though, and their site looks as equally bad with the new update.

There's been discussions about the print media having to adopt to the online culture and possibly even create paywalls in order to survive. They'd really want to rethink things if that design is the route they're going with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Probably some techno coding mc scripting upgrade to let the page load quicker.

I know computers me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

it does'nt open for me anymore in FireFox? what the craic with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,714 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Icky!

Me no likey. looks like someones blog page

YAK

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Oh gods a Woman Section... FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Looks terrible, too many stories being thrown at the reader on the home page and the font looks crap. Some CSS problems in Chrome too, stories overlapping.

• Advertisement

Morag wrote: »
    Oh gods a Woman Section... FFS

It was always there online.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Does it automatically debit your credit card every time you link to it?

Does it automatically debit your credit card every time you link to it?

Only if you're a charidee.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Wow...big design mistake. It looks like the cheap site of an unreliable news blog now. Maybe its in keeping with their move towards the more tabloid side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Wow...big design mistake. It looks like the cheap site of an unreliable news blog now. Maybe its in keeping with their move towards the more tabloid side of things.

I think it's to be more mobile/tablet friendly, it looks awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

That font is awful, particularly when bolded. It looks low rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭lotusm

it was grand the way it was... if it aint broken dont fix it....
    I always found it an excellent website being clear and concise... is there a link to complain directly to independent.ie:rolleyes:

lotusm wrote: »
    I always found it an excellent website being clear and concise... is there a link to complain directly to independent.ie:rolleyes:

No, I've asked for a story to be corrected, it's still incorrect and nobody has replied to either of email addresses I mailed. I also rang and got put through to a mailbox, only to be greeted with the message that the person hasn't enable their mailbox ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 sumeas

First impressions I think the layout is ok, not a big fan of the font style. The old site was v slow to navigate I thought, will surely have bugs for a short while,

Bugs may be gone after a while, but the look will always be there unfortunately. The old site was easy to navigate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

Looks like something from the late nineties.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Very slow and looks cat.

It actually looks worse than BreakingNews, and that's been awful for a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

Make-It-Stop Five!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Looks awful, really disimprovement

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭lotusm

Makes the Irishtimes.com look good in comparison....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Ava_e

Yeah, it just needs to die. In every format.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 sumeas

Ye are a critical bunch, tbh it matches its content

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

That font is awful, particularly when bolded. It looks low rent.
    Indeed, that's what struck me initially. Looks amateur.

One would think that a traditional newspaper might appreciate the importance of decent typesetting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

The RSS feed is gone. :mad:

Anyone find it?

What's this newsletter bull****?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Indeed, that's what struck me initially. Looks amateur.

One would think that a traditional newspaper might appreciate the importance of decent typesetting.
    if they fix the font the site would look okay, tbh, especially for mobile devices. That's how important a good font is.

Advertisement