Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Ebay as a Dealextreme replacement

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

daveyjoe wrote: »
    Be wary of cheap USB wall plugs. They usually output very bad quality power and can pose a safety hazard, in some cases they could also damage your phone (or whatever you are using it with).

Worth repeating.

In the case of dodgy DS chargers, children have died, sadly.

Interesting article from the Raspberry Pi Foundation regarding dodgy (counterfeit Apple chargers) power supplies.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/2151

EDIT: Some great links in the article Comments, teardowns of cheap charger, videos/photos etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

I bought the UK USB plug adapter, and it doesn't work.
    Plugs in fine and a light comes on, but it won't charge my phone. Lame.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Amalgam wrote: »
    Worth repeating.

In the case of dodgy DS chargers, children have died, sadly.

Interesting article from the Raspberry Pi Foundation regarding dodgy (counterfeit Apple chargers) power supplies.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/2151

EDIT: Some great links in the article Comments, teardowns of cheap charger, videos/photos etc.
    Drilled down from that link for about 10/15 minutes - some very scary stuff. I won't be buying any more bargain basement chargers! :eek:

Do you have any words of wisdom about battery pack chargers like those in this thread? What I have gleaned so far is that a Lithium Ion battery is not as dangerous as a Lithium Polymer one.

Any opinion on this battery pack, which I would plan to charge via an OE brand-name 2A charger? Is 'order fulfilled by Amazon' enough assurance (in general)?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

UK USB wall plug
    Ebay ~€1.04
    DX ~€2

OTG USB Cable
    Ebay €0.98
    DX €1.19

DVI to HDMI
    Ebay €1.03
    DX €1.69

That's just a random assortment of stuff I have bought over the last few weeks, not a massive saving by any means, but better in your pocket right!?

For anyone interested I have been working on a site that is basically just this custom search of ebay stuff, so all you need to do is type in your search criteria and hit go and it will return items based on the criteria listed above. You still purchase the items through ebay, this just makes it quicker to look for them.

Its not ready to launch yet (still trying to figure out the name even!) but I do have a working POC would love if some people would be willing to give it a whirl. PM me if interested and I'll give you the POC url. Im hoping to have something launched by March (always good to set your self deadlines that you know you just wont keep :P)

UK wall charger didn't work on my tablet but did work on another. Also be careful when you push it in... I must have pushed too hard and it cracked in half...

Not the safest really, guess you get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,014 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

revz wrote: »
    I bought the UK USB plug adapter, and it doesn't work.
    Plugs in fine and a light comes on, but it won't charge my phone. Lame.

Just first off, i'm not defending the quality, efficiency or the risk of these chargers.

But I have a similar one for years and I have had no problem with it. I only use it occasionally in work.

Its possible your phone requires more power than it supplies. These are 500ma , some newer phones chargers output 1A + .

Fulfilled by amazon as far as i know basically means you ship some stuff to amazon to be sold and they pick, pack and ship it. I dont believe they are involved from a quality side of things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Some tablets need a lot more power to charge than a mobile. Not all USB chargers output the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,014 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Hey Guys, I'm not exactly sure what im going to do with this site so for the moment I'm going to open it up for who ever wants to use it.

Any feedback appreciated.

http://Checkargos.com/ebay

Advertisement